Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rjmccall posted:

i don't know why people would tune in to watch random idiots streaming except extreme loneliness

people don't tend to tune into people who are just plain streaming unless its something like a leaked game or something.

people who get major stream followings tend to be good at doing running commentary on what they're playing and why they're playing it, and often get their audience involved in choices if the game offers real choices or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

so its the extreme loneliness, got it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I watch streams of games I'm not sure if I want to buy or not

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's handy when you have people currently sitting out who still need to see how the strats work so when it's their turn you don't waste half an hour teaching them what everyone else already knows

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
my eternal shame is that i like watching ppl play games more than actually playing games
except for cms games which these days are either f2p mobile horseshit bad games or just horseshit bad games

i watch people playing games praying for some weird german dozen-man company to make the next actually good rollercoaster tycoon or ttd so i can too play games

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
where's the kickstarter chris sawyer you twat

wait http://www.31x.net/about.php
oh ok ttd for ios/android sounds greeaaaffuuuuckk yoouuu

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah, it came out i think

did anyone ever fix locomotion? this is now the bideogames thread

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

people don't tend to tune into people who are just plain streaming unless its something like a leaked game or something.

people who get major stream followings tend to be good at doing running commentary on what they're playing and why they're playing it, and often get their audience involved in choices if the game offers real choices or w/e

use the white phosphorus:ovr:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

rjmccall posted:

professional casters covering professional tournaments hits the sports action drama buttons pretty effectively for me. the experience is different from the real sports i watch, but then again, those real sports feel different from each other, too. i'd say the biggest factor is probably just not having arbitrarily-assigned team allegiances.

professional casting is still amateurish, but productions are noticeably improving. there's still something of a divide between commentators who have any talent at broadcasting and commentators who know what they're talking about, but welcome to professional sports broadcasting, gently caress joe buck and it's a beautiful day here in wiskokie at the 3M sports pavilion brought to you by 3M. i don't know if any casters are actually making a living, though.

i don't know why people would tune in to watch random idiots streaming except extreme loneliness
Well if they're playing DayZ or Battlefield or some other large scale multiplayer game you can join the same server and grief them.

So loneliness.

rotor posted:

this is why google is ridiculous to me. there's zero adult supervision. engineers just ~do things~ until something is successful. valve is the same way.

there's this giant huge cash fountain and they've used that to make a playground for engineers with blind faith that this will produce something worthwhile. So far, not so much.
Valve has enough adult supervision to be able to effectively direct their engineers towards huge cash fountains (F2P online multiplayer) and hire economists to effectively monetize them.

Necc0 posted:

now you may be judging their efficiency by half-life releases. understandably.

because wheres the loving half-life. jesus
Half-Life isn't a F2P online money fountain.

flakeloaf posted:

was mainly for people streaming pc games for various reasons (fraps+youtube sucks, transcoding yourself sucks, watching in raeltime helps teamwork) that youtube didn't allow because video games are art and tehrefore copyright violation, unlikely fully 80% of youtube's other illegal content which is a-okay cause it gets them paid
LOL if you're a scrub and use FRAPS. MSI Afterburner and Action and ShadowPlay have been where it's at forever.

spongeh posted:

yea fraps is shockingly bad although i guess most of that is disk io, although i've had way better performance saving local videos with obs. part of it was tools like xsplit/obs starting to come out, though. twitch doesn't have any capture software of its own though, they used to reccomend adobe media manager or whatever stupid crap adobe has for flash media servers
FRAPS is shockingly bad because it was made for screenshots and it makes videos by taking a lot of screenshots. LOL.

Twitch mainly recommends xsplit and OBS now.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

facebook making deals and gonna keep stealing share of ad dollars

http://adage.com/article/agency-news/publicis-groupe-signs-sprawling-deal-facebook/293255/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Google’s Eye Doctor Admits Glass Can Cause Pain
The headset makes your eye do things it was never meant to do, optometrist says.

http://betabeat.com/2014/05/googles-eye-doctor-admits-glass-can-cause-pain/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cremnob posted:

The headset makes your eye do things it was never meant to do, optometrist says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jTH89HjTA

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think "causes physical pain" is generally a deal-breaker for consumer products [well most of them, don't want to kinkshame]

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

lmao

but look i can view my lovely android notifications in my face!! *eye falls out of head*

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
twitch works great. i watch it on my tv with chromecast tab cast thing

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cremnob posted:

a proud graduate of the no poo poo sherlock university

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

twitch is bad but is way better than dailymotion or any of those other sites

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
google is buying twitch because its what google glass makes your eyeballs do

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
twitch actually works really good and i watch it every day while im doing chores. or sometimes when there is a big tourney i buy some beers, chips, anbd dip - and watch it. on the big screen. dota, cs:go, star craft, you name it - im streaming it

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Smythe posted:

twitch actually works really good and i watch it every day while im doing chores. or sometimes when there is a big tourney i buy some beers, chips, anbd dip - and watch it. on the big screen. dota, cs:go, star craft, you name it - im streaming it

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

pathetic

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Smythe posted:

smythe is a true american hero

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

uncurable mlady posted:

smythe is a true american hero

this but unironically

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ill be honest - i didnt expect a big reaction to that post. is this behavior anomalous? I do the same with baseball and american football, tennis. just love me some games. games on the grass. games on the court. games on the computer. just give me some hard core gaming and im down - and drat - if twitch doesnt deliver!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

ill be honest - i didnt expect a big reaction to that post. is this behavior anomalous? I do the same with baseball and american football, tennis. just love me some games. games on the grass. games on the court. games on the computer. just give me some hard core gaming and im down - and drat - if twitch doesnt deliver!

oh hard core gaming, i thought you said "gaining".

which, to be fair, is what most pro gamers are doing anyway

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Most Pro Gamers are forced by the sponsor overlords to max out their gains and get cut or swole depending on their nation of origin. e.g. Koreans like their men lean and cut but Russians like their men hulked out and huge. Some little insights I've picked up throughout my fandom.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

Most Pro Gamers are forced by the sponsor overlords to max out their gains and get cut or swole depending on their nation of origin. e.g. Koreans like their men lean and cut but Russians like their men hulked out and huge. Some little insights I've picked up throughout my fandom.

how do you like your men Smythe?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Smythe posted:

smyhte if i ever emerge from my cocooon of self loathing let's hang out and watch some league of legends on the tv

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
cypherpunk future looking bleak

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

how do you like your men Smythe?

Huge and Buff, personally. I would ;like to become extremely buff - but im having trouble mustering the gains. I'll keep working on it though.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

tbh id probably rather watch ppl play videogames than baseball

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Damiya posted:

smyhte if i ever emerge from my cocooon of self loathing let's hang out and watch some league of legends on the tv

which team do you go for

i go for team samsung

no the other team samsung

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.hbsslaw.com/newsroom/Hag...e-AdSense-Users

lmao these lawyers are gangster as heck. they're the same ones doing the anti trust lawsuit about anroid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh poo poo. looks like that pastebin thing was real after all.

wow! oh wow!

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Google usurps Apple as world's most valuable brand name, report says

"Google has been extremely innovative this year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a range of partnerships," said Benoit Tranzer, regional managing director of Millward Brown Europe. "All these activities send a very strong signal to consumers about the essence of Google."

lmao vaporware is innovation

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

from wiki of one of the partners at this law firm

Berman helped found his namesake firm in 1993. He was lead attorney in individual and class action cases against Enron, Washington Public Power Supply System, Purdue Pharma (over OxyContin), Exxon (with respect to the Exxon Valdez oil spill), Boeing, Intel (over alleged monopoly practices), Michael Milken, the Rio Tinto mining company (with respect to human rights violations and environmental destruction in New Guinea),[3] and VISA and MasterCard (in which he achieved a $3 billion settlement). He was also instrumental in the state attorneys general’s litigation against the Liggett Group and subsequent $216 billion settlement, against the tobacco industry, serving as special assistant to the various states. He was lead counsel for Microsoft during part of its defense against antitrust claims.[4]

satya sends his regards

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

cremnob posted:

"All these activities send a very strong signal to consumers about the essence of Google."

it does the complete opposite, it makes it look like google is just throwing ideas at the wall seeing what sticks since they have so much capital

unless the essence of google is controlling every aspect of your life in which case then sure

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

oh i was talking about the doritos and mountain dews mostly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

Huge and Buff, personally. I would ;like to become extremely buff - but im having trouble mustering the gains. I'll keep working on it though.

try doritos and mountain dew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

try doritos and mountain dew

Thanks for the advice.

• Locked thread