Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Found this among discussion on meter pitching for the Show 13, I think:

quote:

Meter-style delivery. This brings up a semi-circle meter, Holding down X starts the meter, and you'll want to release the X in the colored area at the end of the meter. Then, the meter will come back, and you have to hit X again when the edge of it hits the center of the aiming meter.

When using the Meter delivery, you'll want to time the power setting based on how much power you want to put into the pitch. Again, putting more power into the pitch (getting the meter to the red area) will add velocity and flatten the break; putting less power into the pitch (getting the meter to the yellow area) will remove velocity and add break. Getting the meter in the middle (the orange area) will produce the neutral, more predictable result.

Finally, when using the Meter, getting the accuracy right is very important. This is basically the "release point" of the pitch. Releasing early underthrows the ball, resulting in less break and a pitch that winds up higher in the zone. Releasing late overthrows the ball, resulting in more break and a pitch that winds up lower in the zone. Missing the timing on the release has a much more dramatic result than missing the timing on the power: a bad release could result in a wild pitch or worse.

Is that still all true? Am I throwing wild loving pitches by the third inning because I've been going "oh, well, top of the meter is best, so just always hit the top of the meter" and I'm wearing my player's arm out, then CONTINUING to make him pull that arm around with all the force possible?

Am I a virtual slave driver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yes, hitting the beginning/middle of the yellow is considerably better for your endurance. But if you want to blow someone away with a high fastball once in a while, that's what the top of the meter is for

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Hydrocodone posted:

Found this among discussion on meter pitching for the Show 13, I think:

Is that still all true? Am I throwing wild loving pitches by the third inning because I've been going "oh, well, top of the meter is best, so just always hit the top of the meter" and I'm wearing my player's arm out, then CONTINUING to make him pull that arm around with all the force possible?

Am I a virtual slave driver?

Yes, good job trying to Mark Prior your RttS guy.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

gleep gloop posted:

The show always has the weirdest god damned soundtrack.

It's always all over the place. Like they try to make a soundtrack everyone will like but end up panicking and pleasing noone. Seems even worse than usual this year.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

paint dry posted:

It's always all over the place. Like they try to make a soundtrack everyone will like but end up panicking and pleasing noone. Seems even worse than usual this year.

I remember it used to be pretty ok, alternative rock, inoffensive rap, some R&B but this year is just the most random poo poo possible. I've only heard of I think one group on it.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I like that they randomly put an early-90's rap song on the soundtrack. Sure, why not.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I turned off the soundtrack like day one. I'd already heard it enough watching people stream.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly it's not even that bad, but they really should have sprung for more music. Look at how EA does licensed music in their games, it's more bland and pop centered but there's like fifty songs so you're at least not hearing the same poo poo over and over again.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I dunno, I kind of like the music. It's repetitive but I'm the guy who listens to the same song on repeat for a week at a time so there you go.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I say this in the NHL thread all the time, but I don't really listen to games much anymore, especially sports game (which is what I normally play). I usually just turn the sound on my TV down to 0, and then either put something else on TV or listen to music. All of the commentary and music is too repetitive.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Welp, all 3 online games I've tried post this last patch have crashed at some point. Two hard freezes and one crash to the dashboard.

The fielding/base running seemed a bit better though. Not as much skipping and stuttering.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread but gently caress please give me an option to have my RTTS pitcher tell his coach to take him out of the game. I hate pitching 7 good innings with no hits but getting tired and I end up giving up 3 hits in the 8th inning before they decide to take me out.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I'm 1/1 so far as well with crashes.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Grab a shotgun, cock it back. Shoot the sun until the sky is black.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

IMB posted:

Grab a shotgun, cock it back. Shoot the sun online servers until the sky is black.

This looks better.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Seriously? I give up 6 loving hits in a row that all hug the line and get past the first basemen and blow a five run lead? Bullshit. Oh and the Royals STILL won't start me, the ace is the closer with 22 stamina and the #5 guy is 46 overall. gently caress pitching.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Luigi Thirty posted:

Seriously? I give up 6 loving hits in a row that all hug the line and get past the first basemen and blow a five run lead? Bullshit. Oh and the Royals STILL won't start me, the ace is the closer with 22 stamina and the #5 guy is 46 overall. gently caress pitching.

Try being a catcher and getting dinged when your retard pitcher can't hit anywhere near where you call them. Dropped pitch my rear end.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I love how RTTS instantly makes all of us say poo poo that would get us instantly labeled as a locker room cancer.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So in my franchise just about everyone of my solid hits seems to either be a line drive right at an outfielder or a deep fly ball, which option do I need to mess with to make increase the amount of hits I get from good swings?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I love how RTTS instantly makes all of us say poo poo that would get us instantly labeled as a locker room cancer.

Speaking of which, can I not force a trade? I'm on the Twins, who traded Mauer and Buxton for garbage.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

IMB posted:

Speaking of which, can I not force a trade? I'm on the Twins, who traded Mauer and Buxton for garbage.

You can request one in interactions but that's it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Eifert Posting posted:

MLB The Show 14: Michael Young Simulator

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've taken to saying "Warning... Track... Power" in my best stadium announcer voice whenever my guy hits ANOTHER ball 5 feet from the fence. Wish I could get the announcer to call me name "warning track power" name.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Somewhere here I complained about pitchers throwing too many strikes in the minors in RTTS. Lo and behold I get a 9/1 call-up and my first MLB AB is an 11 pitch walk. In 400 AAA ABs I had 1 HBP and 0 walks. Have 3 after 4 games now. I'm glad the MLB pitchers walk you, but still wish they'd tweak it so you could work on taking pitches in the minors.

Is there anyplace you can see your teams transactions in RTTS? I can't seem to find it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Still playing The Show 11, got offered arbitration, made a modest counteroffer and then simmed the rest of the off season. The arbitration deadline rolls around and I got a message to the effect of "Congratulations! The arbitrator has ruled in your favor. Your salary for the upcoming year will be $0." This is hilarious and I don't mind playing for nothing because you don't need money to have The Will To Win, but is this gonna gently caress up the rest of my career? Am I going to get benched and traded for some no name minor leaguer because the team views me as being "worth" zero dollars?

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
It's my first baseball game and I don't follow the sport in real life so could someone shed light on what's a good batting average for the difficulty in RTTS?

Currently set to dynamic and my batting average was around .345 and .365 and now I've worked my way up to legend and my average is now hovering around .295. I don't really agree with the dynamic settings though because I could be -- at the set level, then I luck out and get a 3 run HR and all of a sudden I'm at ++ for that level. What level you playing RTTS? (Also gently caress the AI for throwing sliders when the count is 3-2)

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
ive never heard the soundtrack on the show. i just play Swans and Autechre and its super fun.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp

Rad Valtar posted:

So in my franchise just about everyone of my solid hits seems to either be a line drive right at an outfielder or a deep fly ball, which option do I need to mess with to make increase the amount of hits I get from good swings?

Here's what I do: Use zone hitting and aim at either the top of the strikezone or the bottom of the strikezone. Wait on a pitch in the zone you're covering, mash dingers. Also it helps if you learn how to guess to go from up -> down or down -> up based on where he threw his previous pitch. Hope this helps.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Do pitchers have tendencies you can exploit? The last Show I played was the '11 version, so I don't know how much the CPU pitching has changed

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Actually played 3 ranked online games today without a crash, maybe they fixed something on their end.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

You can request one in interactions but that's it.

It only gives me, a 19-year-old fireballing lefthander starting his second season in the majors, the option to retire. Which I'm debating because gently caress the Twins.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I finally watched the opening cinematic and laughed my rear end off. When you play the Game of Baseball, you win or you die.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
So I'm new to The Show franchise and haven't played a baseball game since the NES. Any tips to throw my way while I wait 8 years for my install progress bar to hit 100%? Really looking forward to RTTS but should I start elsewhere?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

OMGzKakaniz posted:

So I'm new to The Show franchise and haven't played a baseball game since the NES. Any tips to throw my way while I wait 8 years for my install progress bar to hit 100%? Really looking forward to RTTS but should I start elsewhere?

RTTS is fun but too repetitive for me to play all the time. Makes a great 'I've got 20 minutes to play some baseball' thing though. I wish you could have a connected RTTS with a pitcher and batter.

Diamond Dynasty is an Ultimate Team type game mode where you get 'cards' of fictional players and assemble a team. You can buy new cards, buy packs of new cards, or combine cards you have to build your team. They can only play for 30-40 games each so you're consistently refreshing your team. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but it is buggy.

Franchise is a standard franchise mode. It's pretty deep although I haven't gotten into it yet really.

For gameplay I would start on dynamic difficulty. This will start you off with the CPU pitcher throwing easy stuff and the CPU batters hardly able to hit. As you get better it'll ramp up the difficulty on you, and if you have trouble it'll knock it back down.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
my rtts character is "War Hellride". Announcers know him by "Wesley Willis".

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Chamber 9 posted:

my rtts character is "War Hellride". Announcers know him by "Wesley Willis".

Rock on Chicago.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DrNutt posted:

Try being a catcher and getting dinged when your retard pitcher can't hit anywhere near where you call them. Dropped pitch my rear end.

It's mid-May and my guy has a BABIP up near .500. No idea what the Royals defense is doing but it's not catching balls!

Serf Surviving
Aug 19, 2013
So in my Rookie year, I went 14-5 with a 1.92 ERA and a crapton of strikeouts. I won the Cy Young award in my rookie year and of course, the Rookie of the year award. What a great 2014, I did not expect to get called up so early, and I definitely made the most of it. Time to kick rear end in 2015 and improve to be an even better pitcher!

Haha no. I'm 0-7 halfway through the year with a 5.72 ERA. I have no idea what has happened to me. I'm doing exactly what I did my rookie year, but they are hitting me like every player has studied my every move in the offseason or something. The difficulty has not changed. Nothing is different. I just can't do it anymore. And my manager won't send me back to AAA to work things out and is making me suffer in the majors thinking I'm just going to dish out my Cy Young stuff out of nowhere.

Seriously, I have no idea how this happened, but I can't help but admire how cool it is to actually NOT be dominant and get my rear end kicked and struggle to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong. What's not cool is my overall dropping at a ridiculous rate because I suck so bad.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
My guy is currently putting up an ERA straddling 2.00 for the Giants, but he was only called up as an injury replacement so its gonna be cool when i get sent down to get owned by the PCL again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Serf Surviving posted:

Haha no. I'm 0-7 halfway through the year with a 5.72 ERA. I have no idea what has happened to me. I'm doing exactly what I did my rookie year, but they are hitting me like every player has studied my every move in the offseason or something. The difficulty has not changed. Nothing is different. I just can't do it anymore. And my manager won't send me back to AAA to work things out and is making me suffer in the majors thinking I'm just going to dish out my Cy Young stuff out of nowhere.

The Tim Lincecum story!

• Locked thread