Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

abagofcheetos posted:

Has anyone here actually attended E3 before? I've always wondered what it is like to actually be there, especially now that they just let anyone attend. I'd imagine that most of the good stuff still requires a press pass.

As dorky as it sounds I am strongly considering going one of these years, really just to say I was there.

I'm going again this year, which will be my tenth time.

The problem with E3 has always been that it has a hard time making up its mind whether it's a convention or a trade show. You can get some work done there and meet some cool people, but every year is complicated by the presence of, at a rough guess, twenty thousand fans who do not have to be there and in fact should not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wanted to do this earlier in the thread but I thought I'd look back to 5 years ago and see what kinda tripe E3 was making us believe back then, starting with Microsoft.

Because Youtube is loving stupid, a lot of E3 2009 videos have been removed from Youtube for copyright claims, because, you know, that makes sense, it's literally an advertisement for your games. It was archived on Twitch, however (Twitch existed in 2009?).

So how do you know this E3 is 5 years old? Because Microsoft's big open was a Rock Band reveal. Remember when we cared a lot about jamming our thumbs into plastic instruments? Not only was this a spinoff focused on The Beatles, but Microsoft felt this announcement was so important that they had actual Beatles members come out on stage. And if that wasn't cringe-worthy enough, they had a HOUSE BAND OF PLASTIC INSTRUMENTS perform a song, complete with BACKUP SINGERS. A FULL SONG. Wii Music isn't the only shame game in town. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 89

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesTY6Qk07Q&t=270s

A Microsoft VP comes out and said "you're not going to see charts or sales figures" which drew applause from 'game journalists' (lol). And said THIS YEAR, E3's ALL ABOUT THE GAMES (lol) So it's time to pull out the heavy hitters!! YEAH!! YOU READY FOR SOME BLOCKBUSTERS!! GET READY FOR tony hawk's the ride

Tony Hawk, of course, represented his game that he had nothing to do with, and also pulled out a goofy looking skateboard controller that must have gotten ripped off of a SEGA Pro Sk8er cabinet. He bragged that the skateboardtroller was "full of technology". Microsoft decided, yes let's focus more time on this, so they showed a lengthy interview trailer where they talked to REAL LIFE SKATERS, so that's how you KNOW it's going to be good. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 44

Because it's Microsoft, Call of Duty made an appearance. This year it was Modern Warfare 2. These games have always seemed the exact same to me so I don't know what differentiated this one from the other Call of Duties. They played a gameplay demo that looked absolutely boring, where you script your way up a mountain, and then IN THE INTEREST OF TIME, it fast forwards to a snowmobile sequence that seems almost impossible to fail. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 94. I guess it was good. I don't care.

Square Enix came on stage to demonstrate Final Fantasy 13 and showed footage of the game running on Xbox 360. At one time people thought, wow, Final Fantasy on Xbox! The game done been changed!! Too bad FF13 and its derivatives, like most Final Fantasies, were a piece of poo poo. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 82

CliffyB made his yearly appearance, although in 2009 he didn't have celebrity friends to brag about. Only Shadow Complex, the one game Steam doesn't have other than Red Dead Redemption that upsets people. I mean, it's just a reskinned Super Metroid that Orson Scott Card's slimy hands touched, but people still want more of it. Or maybe that's just because Nintendo won't make Metroid anymore. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpa0QPLkEZ4

Next up was JOYRIDE. Joyride? Joyride was announced at this E3 as a free Xbox Live Arcade game that resembled Trackmania. It was later converted into a lovely waggle game for Kinect and went from free to $49.99. Gotta love E3 bullshit!! Look at that trailer, does that look like a $50 game? No, they didn't polish it up either. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 52

A sizzle real featured pre-rendered trailers for Crackdown 2 (METACRITIC SCORE: 70), Left 4 Dead 2 (METACRITIC SCORE: 89), Splinter Cell: Conviction (METACRITIC SCORE: 85), followed by a live demo of Conviction that was more cutscene than gameplay. Then a wall opens up to reveal a developer leaning on a red sports car. This was apparently Microsoft's ideal way to introduce Forza 3 (METACRITIC SCORE: 92). Then a guy from Bungie came out and LITERALLY rolled up his sleeves and said "BUCKLE UP, AND GET READY TO DROP" before playing some Halo: ODST (METACRITIC SCORE: 83.

Sam Lake, aka Max Payne man, walks on stage to demonstrate Alan Wake, which I think had been shown at E3 for like 2 or 3 years in a row without anything of substance until 2009. What I'll remember most from the game is that you can watch a fake Twilight Zone show on TVs in the game, but at one point, a TV shows a Verizon ad instead. Not a parody, not anything relevant to the game, just an ad for Verizon Wireless. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 83

Bet you thought by this point they'd run out of time to waste on dumb poo poo??? Haha gently caress you. LAST FM INTEGRATION ON XBOX!! We've renamed our video store to ZUNE VIDEO!! This ZUNE brand is taking off!! FACEBOOK! YOU LIKE FACEBOOK KIDS?? Here's Felicia Day to show you FACEBOOK! YOU LIKE TWITTER??? WE GOT THAT TWEET poo poo TOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMyghfJEpY

Human turtle Don Mattrick came out of his hole with Hideo Kojima to announce an XBOX METAL GEAR GAME!! (it was multiplatform) (and didn't come out until 2013) Then came... oh yeah, oh yeah here it comes, here's that hard E3 poo poo. The announcement of PROJECT NATAL (aka Kinect). This trailer is so stupid it has to be shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qlHoxPioM

Video games that talk to you! That recognize your trivia answers! Play famous video game lovely Crayola Godzilla! Check out how pumped Gamerdad is to change those tires gently caress yeah!!

Now Don invites Stephen Spielburg onto the stage. What does Stephen Spielburg have to do with Kinect? Absolutely nothing! Spielburg says "Microsoft isn't reinventing the wheel; there's no wheel at all." (uhhh) Then Microsoft "personality" Kudo comes out to show off Kinect, and says navigating menus with Kinect is a "magical experience", and then creates my favorite E3 moment ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXN7vLPsDSM

He then shows off some tech demos that showed off the POWER of the Kinect, before Microsoft would later completely gimp the device and make it incredibly useless. Here's a video of an incredibly stupid painting program that consists of someone making horizontal lines over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZmMvK52lM

Now I've posted about this before but it was the capstone of what was an unbelievably terrible finish: the Milo demo. Watch first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

Even though this should have been read as bullshit from the start it wasn't, until the Milo demo was shown behind closed doors, when Lionhead revealed that the demo required "assistance" to make it work and was more of a 'proof of concept'. Microsoft would later disassociate with the project, whose assets were eventually rolled into FABLE: THE JOURNEY (METACRITIC SCORE: 61).

And that was it. Metacritic average for this E3 conference: 77.8. So.. could've been worse? The celebrity count for this keynote included Yoko Ono, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Stephen Spielburg, and Tony Hawk, and it had a car on the stage, but somehow Microsoft has put on more outlandish presentations than this one. 3 Mr. Caffeines out of 5.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 20, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

3 Mr. Caffeines out of 5.
So are we getting yearly summaries until E3? :allears:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I can't wait until we get to Konami 2010. That was E3's absolute pinnacle and not even Ubisoft playing laser tag or Spike TV bringing a giraffe to the expo could top it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

Has anyone here actually attended E3 before? I've always wondered what it is like to actually be there, especially now that they just let anyone attend. I'd imagine that most of the good stuff still requires a press pass.

As dorky as it sounds I am strongly considering going one of these years, really just to say I was there.

I've been twice as a member of the games industry and while this has helped me cut some lines due to my connections the entire thing from what is basically a consumer vantage point is that it is fun for a day and the event lasts three days.

If you wanted to visit LA, and this was happening during the time, it would be cool. If you're local, then it would be cool. Flying out for it is not so exciting.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Konami 2010 was like some gift from the gods. You'd think you'd forget some really, really dumb bullshit that happened 4 years ago but man, Konami 2010 was something special. I don't think it can ever be topped.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Human turtle Don Mattrick came out of his hole with Hideo Kojima to announce an XBOX METAL GEAR GAME!! (it was multiplatform) (and didn't come out until 2013)

They really milked that for all it was worth as well, year after year.

Lugaloco posted:

Konami 2010 was like some gift from the gods. You'd think you'd forget some really, really dumb bullshit that happened 4 years ago but man, Konami 2010 was something special. I don't think it can ever be topped.

I think the "One million troops" guy has since passed away.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Beatles Rock Band would later kiiiind of fail at retail and pretty much started the decline of the "Plastic Musical Instruments"-genre.

Like I know people love to lambast Michael Pachter for saying some stupid poo poo, but the popularity of the game was one of the times he was dead wrong at calling something:

quote:

The Beatles: Rock Band, Viacom Inc.'s highly anticipated and pricey video game based on the music of the biggest-selling rock band of all time, drew a healthy but hardly standing-room-only crowd.

In September, its first month in release, the game sold 595,000 units in the U.S., according to the NPD Group.

That's bigger than the first month sales of either 2007's Rock Band or 2008's Rock Band 2, but far below the best launches in the genre and some analysts' estimates.

2007's Guitar Hero III, for instance, sold 1.4 million units in its first six days on sale in October 2007.

Analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities had estimated that The Beatles: Rock Band would sell 1.3 million units last month. Jesse Divnich, director of analyst services for Electronic Entertainment Design and Research (EEDAR), estimated the game would sell 1 million units.

But Anita Frazier, an analyst at NPD, said initial sales for The Beatles: Rock Band were "very strong."

You can kind of see why Microsoft headlined their show with The Beatles seeing how a lot of people in the industry weren't only guessing it would sell well, but also hoping it would so that the rivalry between Rock Band and Guitar Hero would continue, to make money for both sides.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

I'm going again this year, which will be my tenth time.

The problem with E3 has always been that it has a hard time making up its mind whether it's a convention or a trade show. You can get some work done there and meet some cool people, but every year is complicated by the presence of, at a rough guess, twenty thousand fans who do not have to be there and in fact should not be.

I will absolutely be one of those 20,000... but I'm not gonna dress up or anything idiotic, just want to check out some games :shobon:

Sigma-X posted:

I've been twice as a member of the games industry and while this has helped me cut some lines due to my connections the entire thing from what is basically a consumer vantage point is that it is fun for a day and the event lasts three days.

If you wanted to visit LA, and this was happening during the time, it would be cool. If you're local, then it would be cool. Flying out for it is not so exciting.

Yeah, I wouldn't go to LA just for E3, I would make it a week long trip and check out the city/state and such.

Overall I know attending E3 is a stupid idea, but still... it is like the Superbowl. Actually attending one is a terrible, idiotic idea, but wouldn't it be cool?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Microsoft killed the only good game from that presser, 1 vs 100.

Also, remember the Kinect scanning technology where you could hold a skateboard up and it would recognize all the textures and detail exactly 100%

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you wanna know more about the Milo demo, Polygon (yeah I know) posted a lengthy article about it a year ago, where some Lionhead staffers claimed it was 60 percent complete and others basically insinuate it was all bullshit, some claimed it was a full game project, and others claimed it was just a tech demo. The E3 demo, notably, was completely faked, as the girl in the video is acting in front of a pre-recorded video (sound familiar? Microsoft would do this a lot with Kinect demos).

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/3/21/4063508/milo-and-kate

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Harlock posted:

Also, remember the Kinect scanning technology where you could hold a skateboard up and it would recognize all the textures and detail exactly 100%

Honestly the Kinect would have been 1000% better if they just let you use physical object that would make sense for the game. Playing Tennis? Use a tennis racket you actually own to make the game feel more realistic! Playing Star Wars Kinect? Use your toy lightsaber that you totally have lying around (don't lie to us).

Instead we get lovely miming controls that, even if they were flawless with motion detection, feel stupid because you are making totally unnatural movements.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

What could be in store for Nintendo at E3 2014? It's always pseudo-fake news hype regarding Nintendo franchises and E3 reveals! You hardly ever see anything to that when compared to Microsoft or Sony. New Fable? Who gives a gently caress. Devil May Cry excessively to the PS4? Yaaawn. It seems people keep asking the questions: What is Retro going to introduce this year? Where is Starfox? Does Nintendo plan on continuing their relationship with Platinum Games? We know that Monolith Soft is releasing "X" sometime soon, but with the news regarding the new Zelda being shown at this years E3 are they involved in the project at all?

This is what gets me real excited about E3 and Nintendo specifically but I'm not saying that is a good thing. Normally I over hype myself into believing OMG 3DS remake of Majora's, or new Metroid/Starfox being made and being released this year. Like, we all get that feeling of what is in store and what to expect but left with feeling horribly dissatisfied. So what's in store? Mario Kart is out, Mario is out. Big titles and big news awaits and I can't wait, though at the same time I may end up being disappointed. What does Nintendo have in store? I guess we'll find out June 9th.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you wanna know more about the Milo demo, Polygon (yeah I know) posted a lengthy article about it a year ago, where some Lionhead staffers claimed it was 60 percent complete and others basically insinuate it was all bullshit, some claimed it was a full game project, and others claimed it was just a tech demo. The E3 demo, notably, was completely faked, as the girl in the video is acting in front of a pre-recorded video (sound familiar? Microsoft would do this a lot with Kinect demos).

I remember how all of those Kinect demo's were faked, especially during the Xbox One reveal last year. People defended it as something that was needed because of how big the room was they were using and how many people were in it. I called it that the Kinect would be poo poo at launch and not work like advertised. Glad I was right.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Your Friend posted:

What could be in store for Nintendo at E3 2014? It's always pseudo-fake news hype regarding Nintendo franchises and E3 reveals! You hardly ever see anything to that when compared to Microsoft or Sony. New Fable? Who gives a gently caress. Devil May Cry excessively to the PS4? Yaaawn. It seems people keep asking the questions: What is Retro going to introduce this year? Where is Starfox? Does Nintendo plan on continuing their relationship with Platinum Games? We know that Monolith Soft is releasing "X" sometime soon, but with the news regarding the new Zelda being shown at this years E3 are they involved in the project at all?

This is what gets me real excited about E3 and Nintendo specifically but I'm not saying that is a good thing. Normally I over hype myself into believing OMG 3DS remake of Majora's, or new Metroid/Starfox being made and being released this year. Like, we all get that feeling of what is in store and what to expect but left with feeling horribly dissatisfied. So what's in store? Mario Kart is out, Mario is out. Big titles and big news awaits and I can't wait, though at the same time I may end up being disappointed. What does Nintendo have in store? I guess we'll find out June 9th.

Sometimes it feels like Nintendo is the only company that treats E3 the same way everyone did back when I was in high school. Back then, E3 was this magical event that revealed new and tantalizing games to the public. Now it's just a chance for Sony and Microsoft to blather on about social media, that "killer IP" that everyone already knew about, and Sepia FPS: The Grittying. Then Nintendo comes by with Reggie being Reggie, Iwata staring at bananas, and just game after game like it's supposed to be.

The Big N might fumble their hardware and not understand the internet, but they're just a childlike joy of a company. :allears:

Look at those guys. :allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I do like Nintendo's attitude, but man, that company is a sinking ship. They were my childhood too so it pains me to say that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I wanna bring up my favorite piece of on-stage E3 tech demo vaporware that may or may not have been either bullshit or an actual thing in development.

Everybody usually has a favorite part about Sony's E3 2005 press conference, whether it's the FF VII tech demo, the Killzone 2 thing, even the PS3 version of the ducks in the bath is something people remember.

But hardly anybody seems to recall Eyedentify.

It wasn't focused so much on the system graphics as much as what developers could do with games and how players could interact.

The premise of course being that YOU TOO can both interact with and command your personal duo of action-anime girls.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Organs posted:

Nope, he just has cancer. He also made a very cruel joke on April Fools' Day this year. :saddowns:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

abagofcheetos posted:

There's about an hour or 4 where it's fun to walk around and see the new offerings, plus admire the booth displays that get built (the original Skylanders area was pretty complex).
After that, it's choosing to stand in hour-plus lines for things popular, or scurrying around to see what little gems you can find.

If you can get into the pressers for some of the smaller companies or games, you might get a fun experience.
CD Projekt RED had a sweet office with coffee and polish beers, for example. Their Witcher3 swag included free GoG codes for Witcher1/2. Another had a hot dog cart, and a few years back the SoE press area had snocones and popcorn.

It's definitely something to attend if you're given the chance, just to experience it. But I really feel for the guys that have to fly in and then attend back to back pitches, previews and meetings, only to then go and write/talk/produce stuff for maximum turnaround. Seems like an agonizing couple of days (or, really, week)

I said come in! posted:

I remember how all of those Kinect demo's were faked, especially during the Xbox One reveal last year. People defended it as something that was needed because of how big the room was they were using and how many people were in it. I called it that the Kinect would be poo poo at launch and not work like advertised. Glad I was right.
The KI demo with the videoshare app was crazy faked last year.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 20, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

E3 does seem to be a lot of work for those who have to produce professional content for gaming sites. The only jackass I will never feel sorry for though is Geoff Keighley.

p.s. I didn't know how to spell his name, like at all, so I google'd dorito's and mountain dew meme and he was the first result.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

I said come in! posted:

I do like Nintendo's attitude, but man, that company is a sinking ship. They were my childhood too so it pains me to say that.

Haha, yeah, sinking ship. Its not like nintendo has 12 gorillion dollars in the bank and could weather like 6 WiiU level failures

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Haha, yeah, sinking ship. Its not like nintendo has 12 gorillion dollars in the bank and could weather like 6 WiiU level failures

They have 8.2 billion and no they cannot weather many more failures. We've been over this a hundred times. Nintendo is a public company.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

I wanted to do this earlier in the thread but I thought I'd look back to 5 years ago and see what kinda tripe E3 was making us believe back then, starting with Microsoft.

Because Youtube is loving stupid, a lot of E3 2009 videos have been removed from Youtube for copyright claims, because, you know, that makes sense, it's literally an advertisement for your games. It was archived on Twitch, however (Twitch existed in 2009?).

So how do you know this E3 is 5 years old? Because Microsoft's big open was a Rock Band reveal. Remember when we cared a lot about jamming our thumbs into plastic instruments? Not only was this a spinoff focused on The Beatles, but Microsoft felt this announcement was so important that they had actual Beatles members come out on stage. And if that wasn't cringe-worthy enough, they had a HOUSE BAND OF PLASTIC INSTRUMENTS perform a song, complete with BACKUP SINGERS. A FULL SONG. Wii Music isn't the only shame game in town. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 89

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesTY6Qk07Q&t=270s

A Microsoft VP comes out and said "you're not going to see charts or sales figures" which drew applause from 'game journalists' (lol). And said THIS YEAR, E3's ALL ABOUT THE GAMES (lol) So it's time to pull out the heavy hitters!! YEAH!! YOU READY FOR SOME BLOCKBUSTERS!! GET READY FOR tony hawk's the ride

Tony Hawk, of course, represented his game that he had nothing to do with, and also pulled out a goofy looking skateboard controller that must have gotten ripped off of a SEGA Pro Sk8er cabinet. He bragged that the skateboardtroller was "full of technology". Microsoft decided, yes let's focus more time on this, so they showed a lengthy interview trailer where they talked to REAL LIFE SKATERS, so that's how you KNOW it's going to be good. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 44

Because it's Microsoft, Call of Duty made an appearance. This year it was Modern Warfare 2. These games have always seemed the exact same to me so I don't know what differentiated this one from the other Call of Duties. They played a gameplay demo that looked absolutely boring, where you script your way up a mountain, and then IN THE INTEREST OF TIME, it fast forwards to a snowmobile sequence that seems almost impossible to fail. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 94. I guess it was good. I don't care.

Square Enix came on stage to demonstrate Final Fantasy 13 and showed footage of the game running on Xbox 360. At one time people thought, wow, Final Fantasy on Xbox! The game done been changed!! Too bad FF13 and its derivatives, like most Final Fantasies, were a piece of poo poo. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 82

CliffyB made his yearly appearance, although in 2009 he didn't have celebrity friends to brag about. Only Shadow Complex, the one game Steam doesn't have other than Red Dead Redemption that upsets people. I mean, it's just a reskinned Super Metroid that Orson Scott Card's slimy hands touched, but people still want more of it. Or maybe that's just because Nintendo won't make Metroid anymore. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpa0QPLkEZ4

Next up was JOYRIDE. Joyride? Joyride was announced at this E3 as a free Xbox Live Arcade game that resembled Trackmania. It was later converted into a lovely waggle game for Kinect and went from free to $49.99. Gotta love E3 bullshit!! Look at that trailer, does that look like a $50 game? No, they didn't polish it up either. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 52

A sizzle real featured pre-rendered trailers for Crackdown 2 (METACRITIC SCORE: 70), Left 4 Dead 2 (METACRITIC SCORE: 89), Splinter Cell: Conviction (METACRITIC SCORE: 85), followed by a live demo of Conviction that was more cutscene than gameplay. Then a wall opens up to reveal a developer leaning on a red sports car. This was apparently Microsoft's ideal way to introduce Forza 3 (METACRITIC SCORE: 92). Then a guy from Bungie came out and LITERALLY rolled up his sleeves and said "BUCKLE UP, AND GET READY TO DROP" before playing some Halo: ODST (METACRITIC SCORE: 83.

Sam Lake, aka Max Payne man, walks on stage to demonstrate Alan Wake, which I think had been shown at E3 for like 2 or 3 years in a row without anything of substance until 2009. What I'll remember most from the game is that you can watch a fake Twilight Zone show on TVs in the game, but at one point, a TV shows a Verizon ad instead. Not a parody, not anything relevant to the game, just an ad for Verizon Wireless. ACTUAL METACRITIC SCORE: 83

Bet you thought by this point they'd run out of time to waste on dumb poo poo??? Haha gently caress you. LAST FM INTEGRATION ON XBOX!! We've renamed our video store to ZUNE VIDEO!! This ZUNE brand is taking off!! FACEBOOK! YOU LIKE FACEBOOK KIDS?? Here's Felicia Day to show you FACEBOOK! YOU LIKE TWITTER??? WE GOT THAT TWEET poo poo TOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMyghfJEpY

Human turtle Don Mattrick came out of his hole with Hideo Kojima to announce an XBOX METAL GEAR GAME!! (it was multiplatform) (and didn't come out until 2013) Then came... oh yeah, oh yeah here it comes, here's that hard E3 poo poo. The announcement of PROJECT NATAL (aka Kinect). This trailer is so stupid it has to be shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qlHoxPioM

Video games that talk to you! That recognize your trivia answers! Play famous video game lovely Crayola Godzilla! Check out how pumped Gamerdad is to change those tires gently caress yeah!!

Now Don invites Stephen Spielburg onto the stage. What does Stephen Spielburg have to do with Kinect? Absolutely nothing! Spielburg says "Microsoft isn't reinventing the wheel; there's no wheel at all." (uhhh) Then Microsoft "personality" Kudo comes out to show off Kinect, and says navigating menus with Kinect is a "magical experience", and then creates my favorite E3 moment ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXN7vLPsDSM

He then shows off some tech demos that showed off the POWER of the Kinect, before Microsoft would later completely gimp the device and make it incredibly useless. Here's a video of an incredibly stupid painting program that consists of someone making horizontal lines over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZmMvK52lM

Now I've posted about this before but it was the capstone of what was an unbelievably terrible finish: the Milo demo. Watch first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

Even though this should have been read as bullshit from the start it wasn't, until the Milo demo was shown behind closed doors, when Lionhead revealed that the demo required "assistance" to make it work and was more of a 'proof of concept'. Microsoft would later disassociate with the project, whose assets were eventually rolled into FABLE: THE JOURNEY (METACRITIC SCORE: 61).

And that was it. Metacritic average for this E3 conference: 77.8. So.. could've been worse? The celebrity count for this keynote included Yoko Ono, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Stephen Spielburg, and Tony Hawk, and it had a car on the stage, but somehow Microsoft has put on more outlandish presentations than this one. 3 Mr. Caffeines out of 5.

Do more of these

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I said come in! posted:

They have 8.2 billion and no they cannot weather many more failures. We've been over this a hundred times. Nintendo is a public company.

People have been anywhere from predicting to gleefully anticipating their failure for twenty years and it hasn't happened yet. They're very good at dodging the axe, although I would be surprised if Iwata has his current position for too much longer.

If there is one singular event that would remove Nintendo from its current prominence, it's Miyamoto retiring or dying. Short of that, I expect they'll be around for some time to come. They have an endless number of get-out-of-jail-free cards due to having raised three generations of Americans and god drat if they don't know it.

abagofcheetos posted:

I will absolutely be one of those 20,000... but I'm not gonna dress up or anything idiotic, just want to check out some games :shobon:

I'm not talking about cosplayers, which are a rare presence at E3, or even simple fans.

As a general rule, the people you have to watch out for are a complex blend of entitled fans who got in on a specious pretext, swag-hunting idiots who would hip-check their mothers over a safety railing for a T-shirt they can move for $10 on eBay, Los Angeles's own special blend of fame whores who got into the building to "network" (I still have a business card from a guy I ran into three years ago which listed his occupations as "actor, writer, model, and visionary"; he put "visionary" on his business card, which in a right-thinking human universe would have made him spontaneously combust), and would-be/up-and-coming games journalists who don't have the stroke to get into any room where anything real is happening, so they're fast-talking anybody who looks important and/or might pay them to write something.

There's a reason why the "exhibitions only" badge exists, and it's as a layer of insulation between the fans and attendees and any room where anything resembling any actual business is happening. Without it, you're going to see most of the show from in line.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

Sometimes it feels like Nintendo is the only company that treats E3 the same way everyone did back when I was in high school. Back then, E3 was this magical event that revealed new and tantalizing games to the public. Now it's just a chance for Sony and Microsoft to blather on about social media, that "killer IP" that everyone already knew about, and Sepia FPS: The Grittying. Then Nintendo comes by with Reggie being Reggie, Iwata staring at bananas, and just game after game like it's supposed to be.

Nintendo treats E3 as a trade show rather than a circus, something which has annoyed nerds for decades since they demand their circuses. This is why they've given up on doing the big stage productions and just offer one of their standard videos during the show along with their business behind closed doors.

They're probably a lot more cost effective than other companies at the show (consider how much the presentation QfGII posted about must have cost Microsoft and how little they would have actually gained from it), but it's much more boring when game companies aren't completely humiliating themselves.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

I'm not talking about cosplayers, which are a rare presence at E3, or even simple fans.

As a general rule, the people you have to watch out for are a complex blend of entitled fans who got in on a specious pretext, swag-hunting idiots who would hip-check their mothers over a safety railing for a T-shirt they can move for $10 on eBay, Los Angeles's own special blend of fame whores who got into the building to "network" (I still have a business card from a guy I ran into three years ago which listed his occupations as "actor, writer, model, and visionary"; he put "visionary" on his business card, which in a right-thinking human universe would have made him spontaneously combust), and would-be/up-and-coming games journalists who don't have the stroke to get into any room where anything real is happening, so they're fast-talking anybody who looks important and/or might pay them to write something.

There's a reason why the "exhibitions only" badge exists, and it's as a layer of insulation between the fans and attendees and any room where anything resembling any actual business is happening. Without it, you're going to see most of the show from in line.

This only makes me want to go more :allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People always forget Konamis 08 conference where they showcased their Rock Band ripoff and FAILED at it lvie on stage. And they had an all female cover band of the Ramones perform.

It was worse than 2010 in some ways.

here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIL_hq5nrB4

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wanderer posted:

People have been anywhere from predicting to gleefully anticipating their failure for twenty years and it hasn't happened yet. They're very good at dodging the axe, although I would be surprised if Iwata has his current position for too much longer.

If there is one singular event that would remove Nintendo from its current prominence, it's Miyamoto retiring or dying. Short of that, I expect they'll be around for some time to come. They have an endless number of get-out-of-jail-free cards due to having raised three generations of Americans and god drat if they don't know it.

Miyamoto's been planning for his retirement for a few years now. Specifically he's been handing off a lot of big projects to junior designers he'd been mentoring, and focusing on small ones so he can get as many people as possible experience with working alongside the master. I suspect that Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was one of the first major results of this plan.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Miyamoto hasn't been majorly involved in many of the franchises he's associated with for years at this point. Mario is Koizumi's now, and Zelda is Aonmua's, for example.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh and don't forget Activition's 07 conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21-VEj-88gI

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh and don't forget Activition's 07 conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21-VEj-88gI

The length of the video is 4:20. Perfectly describes the dude on stage here.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Your Friend posted:

What does Nintendo have in store? I guess we'll find out June 9th.
June 10th, actually, but yeah.

Thinking about it, I can't remember the last time I've watched a Microsoft presser and thought "oh, wow, that actually sounds awesome". Like, the one time I think they announced a game I actually really cared about was when they dedicated like 30 seconds of the conference to say "oh, btw, we have Minecraft". And, well, Minecraft on 360 was actually a pretty big boon, given how it was selling on PC at the time and how it's sold on Xbox since - surprising that they didn't make more of a fuss about that than 30 seconds. Maybe Crimson Dragon too, only because it was a Panzer Dragoon-esque game (and I adore Saga - the shmups are good too, but I suck at them too much), but that was an Xbone exclusive, and then turned out to be pants anyway. Otherwise, it's Halo, Call of Duty, some Kinect poo poo that they're wasting Rare's name on, snooooore. Hell, they're so eager to unsurprise me this year, they're announcing what they're showing off a good month in advance!

At least with Sony, we had that total dressing-down of everything Microsoft was doing last year. True, if you think about it, all they were saying was "we're really not doing anything different *shrug*", but given how awful everything Microsoft was attempting with the Xbone was turning out to be, it was some well-timed and well-delivered ether. (The highs of which conveniently let them sneak PS+ being mandatory for online play on PS4 on by, without much scrutiny being applied. Shrewd.)

That said, even their conferences don't usually enthuse me like Nintendo's do. Might be because I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but Sony spends a lot of time showing off rather dull FPSes or Assassin's Creed games, and I'm not really into those. Better than Microsoft, who dedicates entire conferences to nothing but sports games, FPSes and Kinect titles, but when I think of what I remember the PlayStations fondly for, it's usually something like Spyro the Dragon or Crash Bandicoot, and not much Sony's shown off at E3 in a while has really captivated me like those games do. At least with Nintendo, I know Mario and Zelda captivate me in a similar fashion, even if they're getting a bit played-out. Sony's indie push would offset that if I weren't thinking "wow, that looks good, can't wait until it's on Steam!"

Of course, Nintendo's not above scrutiny, too. NintendoLand is a pretty decent little game, but its E3 2012 reveal was a rather embarrassing way to end the conference. Reggie's "one last thing" getting everyone's hopes up for a surprise announcement, only for it to be "let's close off with a look at NintendoLand's fireworks display", solidifying a "wait, is that really all they're showing? Seriously?" response. Also, taking the show stream-only for E3 2013 was also a boneheaded move; corralling everyone to UStream rendered it an unwatchable mess, buffering every five seconds and then assuming I was more interested being live than catching anything I'd missed while it was buffering (kinda like this - and yes I linked this already but screw it, it's not far off the mark).

I suppose, then, this is why I'm feeling rather... unenthusiastic about E3 this year. I'm really only going to be watching the conferences to see if Microsoft makes any 2013-level blunders, if Sony can reveal a good reason why I should buy a PS4 right now (I liked the look of Knack, but it's a highly-repetitive, highly-linear brawler; Second Son looks okay, but it's really short; etc), and basically anything and everything Smash Bros.-related (anything else, other than more info for X, is mere window dressing). I'm not sure what else I can expect from this industry anymore; it seems like it's all about catering to somebody totally different than me at this point.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LanceKing2200 posted:

Honestly the Kinect would have been 1000% better if they just let you use physical object that would make sense for the game. Playing Tennis? Use a tennis racket you actually own to make the game feel more realistic! Playing Star Wars Kinect? Use your toy lightsaber that you totally have lying around (don't lie to us).

Instead we get lovely miming controls that, even if they were flawless with motion detection, feel stupid because you are making totally unnatural movements.

I remember a video someone had done where they hacked in sword tracking for a tech demo not long after the Kinect came out. Naturally nothing like that ever showed up in an actual game, and Microsoft gave so little of a poo poo that they just tossed out a PC SDK for it like 2 years later to zero fanfare.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_HQE0S6Lg&t=1642s

Since everything is livestreamed now, I'd much prefer to watch them in the comfort of my own home, with the SA thread open and some alcohol to smooth over the boring bits.

E: It's from this film, used in the final episode of MST3K.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 21, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

So how do you know this E3 is 5 years old?

god drat I remember it like it was yesterday why did you do this to me

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Organs posted:

Nope. He's still on twitter referencing his 15 minutes of Konami presser fame

https://twitter.com/Tak_Fujii

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

raditts posted:

I remember a video someone had done where they hacked in sword tracking for a tech demo not long after the Kinect came out. Naturally nothing like that ever showed up in an actual game, and Microsoft gave so little of a poo poo that they just tossed out a PC SDK for it like 2 years later to zero fanfare.

You mean this?

You could have been so good Kinect Star Wars. :cry:

It's really telling about the industry in general when one guy can do more with the Kinect than hundreds of companies.

I said come in! posted:

He was literally drunk, and also high as gently caress. Apparently, it's a touchy subject for him. :allears: (Warning: Kotaku)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Harlock posted:

I admit I got addicted to 1v100 during its brief run on XBox Live and I'm disappointed it got killed off. It was such a great idea and I was the one who intentionally dressed-up his Avatar all goofy because the presentator was someone doing it live and cracking wise on people's outfits.

I'm actually really loving glad the Milo project got killed off in one way or the other (be it a tech demo never meant as a game or just killed in production) because the Let's Plays of those would be so loving creepy SA would have to bring back Helldump to find out if any goons made them.

I said come in! posted:

It's really just a sign of how bad the Japanese game industry is hurting when Nintendo is now starting to show signs of being badly unaware of the market. The US and Europe have become so loving BIG over the last 15 years that no one really "needs" Japan anymore. I remember a time when if you were big in America you HAD to be big in Japan to rule the world and now it's "well, America loving spends on games and Europe likes Call of Duty and Halo just fine so where does Japan fit into all of this?".

Motto posted:

Miyamoto hasn't been majorly involved in many of the franchises he's associated with for years at this point. Mario is Koizumi's now, and Zelda is Aonmua's, for example.

Miyamoto is to Nintendo as Stan Lee is to Marvel. Neither have any direct say in daily company operations for a while now, mostly do symbolic work and media appearances for their companies but people still talk about them like they know who Spider-Man faces next or what the Zelda subtitle will be (they probably know, but only from someone in the grapevine because they were senior enough and respected enough to be trusted with that information).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Nah, investors don't even matter. Nintendo can just keep losing money until 2075 they just have so much they don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Harlock posted:

Man, I miss 1 vs. 100. If Microsoft was still running stuff like that I'd still be subscribed to Live. I managed to take first place in the Mob one night, it was like winning one thousand bar trivia nights at once. I won a free copy of Kingdom for Keflings, which I played for about 15 minutes.

• Locked thread