Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I agree. Ultimately the coalition is in agreement of a strong Orthodox church in the empire. We will leave the differences at the door should some upstart basque guy wish to try and convert the empire to some heathen religion.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It's easy to understand: lesser peoples see Greek and Roman glory, but its sheer vastness confuses them. It is quite a lot to take in! In their attempts to understand, and even more understandably, imitate us, they latch on to the wrong parts. These vary: for Turks, it is a tolerance that never existed. For...Basques, it appears to be the false, but interesting, pantheon of our ancestors. Not even Romans are immune to this, as proven by your love of the Republic. Simple.

NewMars posted:

What I want to know is, when did we get a basque senator, anyway? And why are they so... Hellenic?

Zeus will strike all you upstarts down to Hades! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hey, I take offense to that. I'll have you know that I can trace my lineage back to the Patrician families of the republic! :colbert:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rejected Fate posted:

### Refound the Fraternalists

In the wake of the reshaping of our Empire and the decreasing of douxal power, I would like to refound the Fraternalists into a new aim - a mercantile aim. Brothers, are we no Roman one and all? But what is it that bind us? Is it our faith? Nay, for there are others who follow the holy Faith, yet they are not Rome. Is it our language? Nay, for is it not true that we enshrine three languages? No, let it be the coinage that we exchange and prosper with that binds us. Brotherhood through wealth, brotherhood through prosperity!

So I say brothers, let us be a shining beacon of prosperity in this land. Let men come far and wide, to learn from us and to trade with us. We need not the sword, brothers, we need only the coin.

In-game we are a party that focuses on trade, diplomacy and naval power. We are also, generally, against war unless it helps trade.

## Join the Fraternalists

Ah its good to see the old party reform and re brand its self in this new time. Mercantile endeavors always suit us quite nicely and with this new era for Rome, a healthy focus on the economy will be supremely important to maintaining the health of the state, the military an the church. Remember my fellow Romans, if you want shiny swords, parchment or candles, or even just some booze to get drunk in the senate hall once more, you need a strong backing and a lot of coin, so lets work to make Rome the greatest not only in name, military, faith and prestige, but also in coin as well.

Furthermore I suggest we break bread with the fellows in the Adventurer Merchants, Craftsmen League and Steps and Republics to work together towards our similar goals of good commerce.

If we need a face for our party, I'm your man!

Senator Constantine Ischyrós

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Furthermore I suggest we break bread with the fellows in the Adventurer Merchants, Craftsmen League and Steps and Republics to work together towards our similar goals of good commerce.

Of Mongols and Merchants

We are no longer Steppes and Republics, but I agree that a alliance of Mercantile parties would be something in our interests.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Jimmy4400nav posted:

While the League agrees that revenue is vital to the well being of the Empire, we are not so certain that trade is the best route to do so. Our position is not entirely terrible, but there are a great number of other competitors for the trade that flows through the Mediterranean. Now, if we were to manage to encourage certain key trade nodes that joining the Roman Empire is preferable to the tyranny of their current leadership, then perhaps a greater Roman trade network could become quite successful.

But that is countered by the costs of maintaining a powerful trade fleet, keeping pirates at bay, and the grumblings from our fellow competitors. It is not impossible, certainly, but a strong infrastructure will allow Rome to flourish solely from its own territory, without a concern for outsiders.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Join the Monternos Party

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
##Join the Monternos Party

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jimmy4400nav posted:

## Join the Fraternalists

Ah its good to see the old party reform and re brand its self in this new time. Mercantile endeavors always suit us quite nicely and with this new era for Rome, a healthy focus on the economy will be supremely important to maintaining the health of the state, the military an the church. Remember my fellow Romans, if you want shiny swords, parchment or candles, or even just some booze to get drunk in the senate hall once more, you need a strong backing and a lot of coin, so lets work to make Rome the greatest not only in name, military, faith and prestige, but also in coin as well.

If we need a face for our party, I'm your man!

Senator Constantine Ischyrós

The founder of THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm supports this coalition of fellow lovers of money and swashbuckling!

If only as a counterbalance to those pious bores in the other coalition.

Pictured: Senator Enrico "Moneybeard" Valentinius

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The founder of THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm supports this coalition of fellow lovers of money and swashbuckling!

If only as a counterbalance to those pious bores in the other coalition.

Pictured: Senator Enrico "Moneybeard" Valentinius

Of Mongols and Merchants

But what shall we call this coalition? The Mercantile League has a nice ring to it but seems plain all things considered.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Blackunknown posted:

Of Mongols and Merchants

But what shall we call this coalition? The Mercantile League has a nice ring to it but seems plain all things considered.

Hmmm. We could go with:

Ordo Empóro̱n
Pan-Roman Company
Novus Mercator
Coalition of Audacious State Helpers
Disregard Turks, Acquire Currency Organization

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hmmm. We could go with:

Ordo Empóro̱n
Pan-Roman Company
Novus Mercator

The West Roman Trading Company?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

## Join Monternos

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hmmm. We could go with:

Ordo Empóro̱n
Pan-Roman Company
Novus Mercator

I quite like Novus Mercator for our caucus.

Although quite likely we'll end up as sub-parties of the Adventurous Merchants. Which I'm not unhappy with, they're cool guys. I just wanted to revive the Fraternalists as a show of loyalty.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hmmm. We could go with:

Ordo Empóro̱n
Pan-Roman Company
Novus Mercator

Of Mongols and Merchants

Novus Mercator sounds like a good coalition name.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Roman Enotita

Well, as long as we get our money....

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hmmm. We could go with:

Ordo Empóro̱n
Pan-Roman Company
Novus Mercator

We Fund It So You Don't Have To

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Hm, this caucus... Is an interesting proposal. While I would gladly work towards an agenda of extended Eastern contact and reasonable levels of trade, I can't say I approve strongly of any notions of colonization or conquest. We would simply overextend ourselves by seeking conquests too far beyond Constantinople, look at what happened to the Ming Frontier, and that was with the levels of Chinese efficiency we have yet to match.
/

Raserys fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 21, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rejected Fate posted:

I quite like Novus Mercator for our caucus.

Although quite likely we'll end up as sub-parties of the Adventurous Merchants. Which I'm not unhappy with, they're cool guys. I just wanted to revive the Fraternalists as a show of loyalty.

Whats nice is, if our caucus does succeed in coming together, then each group has its own nice niche it can fill, the Adventurous Merchants for all our overseas trade and swashbuckling, the Craftsmen for all of our internal economic matters and guilds, Of Mongols and Merchants helps coordinate the frontier economy while the Fraternalists are more the internal merchants and bankers. Together we form a nice cross section of the important economic interests of the Empire.

Our happy little group, all united behind the sexy sexy idea of economics.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Upon significant soul searching and figure tallying, the League has come to support this grand alliance of tradesmen. Pushing into Eastern Africa would not only give us access to greater riches and the fertile supplies of the region, it would also allow us to make war against one of the greatest threats to our trade, the Republic of Somalia.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

GoatLord posted:

###Join the Komnenian Restoration

Because there has been far too much sobriety in these halls.

Finally a drinking buddy! A few more people and we can finally revive the traditional Komnenian conga line.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
WHAT I DID ON MY SUMMER VACATION

I wanted to go to Naples but we went to Rome instead. I saw the Pope. Everyone says she is cool but really she is a boring old lady. We had to stand for a long boring prayer. I went to a boring mewseeum about how the byesatans killed the pope a couple times and were mean to everyone and how Empress Venereal made Catholic people say they wouldnt be Catholic no more and it was boring and stupid and I hate it.

###Refound True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife

Millions are dead. Europe is mad. The world is mad.

The most holy and Catholic church was all but destroyed. We were tested by plagues, persecuted by heretics and assailed by the demon Chang Yuchun. We survived. The Pope has defeated the armies of the antichrist , the church militant has worked miracles, the city of Rome has been redeemed.

It is more than we could have hoped for. It is not enough.

We have been given a ship full of gold and a holy mission; we are travel to La Puta Glotona. There we will purchase lands and titles, then join the Senate. We will keep watch on that nest of vipers as we use our influence to oppose their evil empire.

In game The new party is fanatically loyal to the pope and operates on the principle of "If you can't beat em, join em and cripple their institutions from the inside". Our official goals are to promote peace, tolerance and diplomacy. Our real goals are to keep the Empire from becoming more powerful, to protect the independence of the Papal state, and to quietly support Catholic revolts.

:effort:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Ghetto Prince posted:

WHAT I DID ON MY SUMMER VACATION

I wanted to go to Naples but we went to Rome instead. I saw the Pope. Everyone says she is cool but really she is a boring old lady. We had to stand for a long boring prayer. I went to a boring mewseeum about how the byesatans killed the pope a couple times and were mean to everyone and how Empress Venereal made Catholic people say they wouldnt be Catholic no more and it was boring and stupid and I hate it.

...wait isn't "Pope" a masculine title? Coming from Latin's "Papa" (hence "Papal," "Papist," etc.)? Strikes me as a tad odd, Senator, that this "Pope" is female. :raise:

Then again I don't go around demanding people call me "Senatrix" so perhaps I shouldn't complain about such semantics.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

And with the introduction of our newest bunch of the same old maniacs slowly unfolding, I suddenly gain a newfound tolerance for Unitas. At least they aren't complete lunatics obsessed with long-dead religions.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Ghetto Prince posted:

In game The new party is fanatically loyal to the pope and operates on the principle of "If you can't beat em, join em and cripple their institutions from the inside". Our official goals are to promote peace, tolerance and diplomacy. Our real goals are to keep the Empire from becoming more powerful, to protect the independence of the Papal state, and to quietly support Catholic revolts.

:effort:

I hope the Black Chamber visits you in your sleep. :argh:

StrifeHira posted:

...wait isn't "Pope" a masculine title? Coming from Latin's "Papa" (hence "Papal," "Papist," etc.)? Strikes me as a tad odd, Senator, that this "Pope" is female. :raise:

Then again I don't go around demanding people call me "Senatrix" so perhaps I shouldn't complain about such semantics.

We totally should though. It has a nice ring to it I think.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
While there's much I believe in the Inclusionists, and one day, I or my daughters might see fit to join them, when I'm less concerned about the position of the empire in this new age...There's much to be believed in of the Monternos party, and I do see the two have much in common. In the end, I suppose I believe in tolerance, yes.
I believe in advancement. I believe in Science!

##Join Monternos Party

(Portrait Withheld)
Demetria Demetriou

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012

##Join Monternos Party

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I shall ##create the Cartographer's Coalition
This will be a cross-party coalition and will promote the creation of pretty borders outside of Rome. Our policies will promote conquering and redistributing land to independent states to create a maximum amount of pretty borders everywhere.
As such we will support:
- releasing new states if they create pretty borders
- returning cores if they serve the same purpose
- conquering and gifting land to others to do the same
- supporting rebels to break up ugly countries
- the destruction of any exclaves other countries may form
- the exploration of the world to make sure that pretty borders exist everywhere

We obviously oppose the permanent taking of lands that do not result in pretty borders.

The Cartographer's Coalition was founded by a group of cartographers that somehow gained access to the Byzantine Senate during its re-creation. While they were technically not allowed access, nobody was sure about it and after the first week it became too awkward to ask them to leave.
Tired of drawing the incredibly complex borders that resulted from the insanities of the feudal succession and gavelkind inheritance laws, they began lobbying the other senators to ease their burdens and begin correcting the many perceived mistakes in the international borders. To that end any means are considered permissible, and while the expansion of Rome's borders is considered secondary at best, the coalitions members fervently lobby for foreign interventions and increased funds to be diverted to expeditions to explore the unknown areas of the world.
The most influential of the founding members of the Cartographer's Coalition would end up being Amérinko Vespoútsi

I will also ##join the Hellenic Restoration

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

##Join Monternos Party

The foolhardy expansion of Rome into Kiev was the death knell of the Komnenian golden age. There can be no doubt that times have changed, we can no longer grow rich from conquering and looting far-flung provinces as the Rome of old did. A stable Rome shall only exist if we refuse to be seduced by the short-sighted greed and blood-lust which so wounded the Empire and brought the end of our golden era.

A barracks is a repository of men, each of whom owes his loyalty to whoever pays him best, but a library is a repository of books, which owe their loyalty only to that most holy of virtues: wisdom. I ask you good senators, which is a sounder investment?

Gladios suos in aratrs

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ooh. An interesting coalition! Creating Romanized, Orthodox states all over the world sounds wonderful. Glorious. Yours is a mission to uplift mankind! But, where do you think our own borders should be, for maximum beauty? I would like to support restoring the traditional Eastern Roman borders, plus Italy.

Clayren posted:

The foolhardy expansion of Rome into Kiev was the death knell of the Komnenian golden age. There can be no doubt that times have changed, we can no longer grow rich from conquering and looting far-flung provinces as the Rome of old did. A stable Rome shall only exist if we refuse to be seduced by the short-sighted greed and blood-lust which so wounded the Empire and brought the end of our golden era.

A barracks is a repository of men, each of whom owes his loyalty to whoever pays him best, but a library is a repository of books, which owe their loyalty only to that most holy of virtues: wisdom. I ask you good senators, which is a sounder investment?

How deluded you are! First, that expansion was never planned: it was forced on us by the murdering intrigues of the last Komnenos empress, one unworthy of the name. It was unplanned, unsanctioned, and chaotic, but it was a mistake of feudalism. True conquest has gone well for us: Anatolia, Italy, even Egypt! With the centralization of authority, it will be even easier. How you cowards wail about it! Even the so-called New Marians don't see that it is our duty and purpose to conquer and incorporate. That we must destroy pagan realms, and uplift barbarians! Rome is this world's salvation, but here, when we are finally ready to move past the Russian disaster, this Senate refuses the call!

As for your second point, books are loyal only to those who write them. They can lie and mislead just like men, but unlike men, they can't be changed! Do you know what a changed man is loyal too? That which changed him! Rome is ready to change its subjects and enemies, to make them Romans, but every party but Unitas is too selfish to allow it!

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
I'm sorry if I somehow blanked out and missed if this was mentioned, but the parties with only one member will be denied, right? There are so many that I can't keep track of them at this point.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

quote:

I will also ##join the Hellenic Restoration

:3:

I shall also ##join the cartographers coalition.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Vagon posted:

I'm sorry if I somehow blanked out and missed if this was mentioned, but the parties with only one member will be denied, right? There are so many that I can't keep track of them at this point.
b
Believe the idea is that the top five will be made into the "main" parties, with the smaller sets allowed to become sub-parties to one of the larger.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Adept Nightingale posted:

b
Believe the idea is that the top five will be made into the "main" parties, with the smaller sets allowed to become sub-parties to one of the larger.

Right. That seemed like the best way to split the difference between letting the Senate set its own agenda and create its parties but not roll into EU4 with like sixty one-member single issue joke parties.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Senators, our great empire has been wracked by many woes over the years. It has been beset by Turks, Mongols, and Chinese over a long period of history. Conquering hordes from the east have always been a threat, and the possibility of new threats shall never truly disappear. It is my hope that, entering this new era, we might finally be in a position to take measures to truly safeguard our people from attackers, whether they be yet another wave of easterners or an upstart nation of Europe. To this end, I must admit I considered joining with the New Marians. But while I do not think ill of them by any means, I do feel my head inclines me in another direction. I feel that all of us must use our heads more, to better protect ourselves from the ravages of the world. And that is why I wish to dedicate myself to ##joining the Monternos.

We must first seek the greatest technological advantage we can, then turn our attention elsewhere. It is foolhardy to rush ahead without ensuring we have done all we can to better our empire. Hopefully in junction with the New Marians, we can safeguard our country properly for the first time in a long time.

I am Eric Metaxas, Senator of Varangian and Greek descent. Thank you for your time.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

##Join the Inclusionists

##Join the Cartographer's Coalition

Name is Senator Anderson. A pleasure fellow senators to be meeting you. Remember, what matters is peace, order, and good government.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WilliamAnderson posted:

##Join the Inclusionists

##Join the Cartographer's Coalition

Name is Senator Anderson. A pleasure fellow senators to be meeting you. Remember, what matters is peace, order, and good government.

The CC advocates conquest, the Inclusionists, decidedly not. Out of curiosity, how do you reconcile this?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

The Cartographer's Coalition Intruiges me, I must admit, but I just cannot commit to a coalition that will give away land based on aesthetic reasons, all land is beautiful to me, so long as it is ours.

OOC: Can we get a tally of the parties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'll do a vote count tomorrow-- counting these votes is a bit harder than normal votes, obviously.

• Locked thread