Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Although my boss at the time would slot pretty well into the Retail-verse; he'd do things like open the store half-and-hour to an hour late, then adjust the system time on the computer we used to "punch in" so it'd look like he was on time. Despite the fact that the mall management would notice that the store was opening an hour late and report that to the DM.

And he managed to do this more than once? And keep his job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
^^^^^^^^ Yeah, really. All it takes is a couple corroborating narcs from customers to sink that ship. ^^^^^^^^^

Midnight Moth posted:

I did live through the "retail experience". I worked as a pharmacy cashier at a high volume CVS and pretty much rang up customers non stop through my whole shift. There was no downtime. So when I see some jackass like Cooper screwing around on the roof or building box robots on his shift and even getting promoted for it, it pisses me off.

Evil Mastermind posted:

See, when I was at the video game store, we had a different kind of "no downtime" since we weren't tied to the register. So if there were no customers then you had to fix displays/price things/etc.

Although my boss at the time would slot pretty well into the Retail-verse; he'd do things like open the store half-and-hour to an hour late, then adjust the system time on the computer we used to "punch in" so it'd look like he was on time. Despite the fact that the mall management would notice that the store was opening an hour late and report that to the DM.

I worked retail in a bakery in a mall, then floor sales in a bike shop, and then I worked counter in a video store (before the days of Blockbuster). Honestly, as long as the stores weren't busy, or we talked one of the other sales-folk to cover for us, we found plenty of time to gently caress off and get away with it. But yes unlike Midnight Moth, I was never "tied to a register". Plus, I started my IT career at the video store (I wrote their POS system in from scratch in RPG II), so there were multiple excuses I could use to get me out back to smoke. "Hey, I'm going back to check on the server", "Hey, there's some weird network traffic I gotta look at, brb", and the classic "It's compiling"... :v:

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Further evidence that this strip is falling apart at the seams.

In my opinion, Brooke does alright on the cat themed strips. This "kittenity" thing is kind of dumb though. I mean, why not just apply these to Solange instead of a new cat?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Even the Depression Cat can't deal with Les's bullshit today.

Ok, I'll be the one to ask.

Why is his cat talking to him? And why hasn't he checked himself into a psych ward in response?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

And he managed to do this more than once? And keep his job?
More than once, yes, keep his job, no.

Because not only were the mall managers telling the district manager, not only were customers calling the main office and asking why the store was closed or opening an hour late, he was also changing the system clock on the POS computers that we also used to clock in and out. Unfortunately (for him) he didn't realize that the system logged (internally and on paper) any system changes. So there was an official audit and there were a lot of daily logs that started like this:
code:
10:30 AM - System time changed to 9:00 AM
9:00 AM - User XXXX logged on
9:00 AM - System time changed to 10:30 AM
So on his time card it said he logged in at 9, but internally it was a different story.

You would not believe some of the stories (good and bad) I have about that place. They make Retail look tame.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I worked retail in a bakery in a mall, then floor sales in a bike shop, and then I worked counter in a video store (before the days of Blockbuster). Honestly, as long as the stores weren't busy, or we talked one of the other sales-folk to cover for us, we found plenty of time to gently caress off and get away with it.
Yeah, it's a different situation when you're a general "sales clerk" versus a cashier.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, I'll be the one to ask.

Why is his cat talking to him? And why hasn't he checked himself into a psych ward in response?

Don't worry, his cat isn't talking to him. It's entirely imaginary.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

:unsmith:

:penguinlust:

Calvin And Hobbes

Wilbur's

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Don't worry, his cat isn't talking to him. It's entirely imaginary.

The cat is supposed to be the living embodiment of depression. Of course so is everything else in this strip, so you weren't to know.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, now that's just bullshit. Open faced sandwiches count and I'll be damned if I let anybody tell me differently.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A hot dog is a sandwich, Boston can get bent.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Mr. Maltose posted:

A hot dog is a sandwich, Boston can get bent.

The case was specifically whether or not burritos are sandwiches.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

:unsmith:

:penguinlust:

I've always liked these two strips. :unsmith:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (April 18th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam (March 16th 1983)

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 13th 2009)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hoover Dam posted:

The case was specifically whether or not burritos are sandwiches.

Well that's stupid. You don't need an absolutely strict definition of what makes a sandwich, you can just say that a burrito is culturally distinct enough to not count.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Something tells me the author doesn't know anything about computers, either.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wanamingo posted:

This strip is a glorious disaster.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Remember this one everybody. You'll need it to solve an inspector danger quiz next week.

Wanamingo posted:

While I have heard stories, I myself, and zero of the lefties I know put the mouse on the left side.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 21, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dr. Dos posted:

While I have heard stories, I myself, and zero of the lefties I know put the mouse on the left side.

I'm right-handed and use a left-handed mouse. On the left side.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Wanamingo posted:

Are you saying you don't unplug your mouse when you're done with it?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, now that's just bullshit. Open faced sandwiches count and I'll be damned if I let anybody tell me differently.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I recognize a "sandwich" you have to each with a knife and fork as a sandwich. :colbert:

Wanamingo posted:

Oh my. This strip is the funniest thing I've ever seen. :allears:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

archy! :aaaaa:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I was wondering if the typewriting cockroach earlier was an archy and mehitabel reference. Nice to see it confirmed.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Has Inspector Danger always been so ridiculously terrible or is it one of those things that started out good but ran too long?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Either the first or second one somebody posted, another goon genuinely believed it was an edit. More than one I'd bet, given that the original even had the typo too.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised nobody commented on the fact that the mouse is plugged into the keyboard.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Has Inspector Danger always been so ridiculously terrible or is it one of those things that started out good but ran too long?

Don't know when it started but, the strips I'm posting are from 2011, the beginning of the Gocomics archive.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Wanamingo posted:

I'm surprised nobody commented on the fact that the mouse is plugged into the keyboard.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Macs from a few years back had keyboards with usb ports in them on both sides.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Yeah, me too, but I was waiting a bit to see if it was a fershure or not. There's Milqtoast too, but I don't think that conjunction with this strip would work.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

The fox is obviously a follower of the Sally Acorn school of female cartoon animal fashion.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Scary Gary

Since I'm only carrying this until Drimble Wedge comes back, I was thinking of posting Over the Hedge and whatever Go Comics throws up of Cow and Boy as well for the long-term (or until I get tired of it). Any objections? I know Over the Hedge doesn't have the greatest jokes, but I do kinda like the stylized art, and Cow and Boy always makes me laugh even if the art is somewhat static, so it'd balance out in a weird way.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

They literally just graduated and are asking that question? Give it several months.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, it's a different situation when you'are a general "sales clerk" versus a cashier.
That just makes the characters look even more like unsympathetic whiners. poo poo, I had it way rougher than any of them.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 21, 2014

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Is he excited now or is he being sarcastic?

Rex Morgan MD

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
With this first taste of nepotism, Tommy won't rest until he hops strips over to Judge Parker.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
She's taking a bath, of course the door's locked. Why would it not be? :psyduck:

I still can't get over the idea that this guy owes Wilbur so much for getting his restaurant mentioned in the local paper. That's really the best part of this whole thing. :allears:

Baldo

Beetle Bailey

He's not questioning the fact that she's been to the moon, he's just wondering when it happened.

I actually managed to figure this one out without reading the solution, but I do love the fact that it requires that none of them have any savings whatsoever. And apparently they get paid monthly. And the thief just withdrew the stolen money and has been holding onto $200,000 in cash.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

She's taking a bath, of course the door's locked. Why would it not be? :psyduck:

Because they live by themselves and have been married for decades? That's a stupid question.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Anybody have that Nemi where she's gagging over her boyfriend drinking milk straight from the carton after three panels of hot and heavy petting?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Because they live by themselves and have been married for decades? That's a stupid question.
I don't even know how to respond to this. How is that even relevant? She's in the bath and doesn't want to be disturbed so she locked the door. That's just a normal, reasonable thing to do no matter who it is you live with. What good would it even do him to get in there?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tiggum posted:

I don't even know how to respond to this. How is that even relevant? She's in the bath and doesn't want to be disturbed so she locked the door. That's just a normal, reasonable thing to do no matter who it is you live with. What good would it even do him to get in there?

That depends on how many bathrooms they have and/or if it's combined with the toilet. There are a lot of legitimate uses for a bathroom, some of them can't exactly 20min for someone to finish their bath. If you don't want anyone to see you, the shower curtain works even while bathing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

What good would it even do him to get in there?

Well, sometimes when a man really likes a woman...

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I was being harsh there, but it's Arlo and Janis. He's coming in there with a big ol' smile on his face, I'm sure you can figure it out. A closed door is already enough to show you want privacy, you'd only be locking it if you don't want somebody to walk in and see you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

What good would it even do him to get in there?
You know how in college you'd have that skeezy friend who had playboys next to the toilet so he could read the 'articles' while taking a dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Anybody have that Nemi where she's gagging over her boyfriend drinking milk straight from the carton after three panels of hot and heavy petting?

11/1/2013

I've been saving them all... :v:

Jane's World

Uh oh.

Non Sequitur

Whatever.

Heavenly Nostrils is back in the game, so here are two.

:smith:

Bernard continues Monday's theme in today's Kliban

Pretty sure liver is tops on my most detested food list. If I'm on the same block as someone cooking it, I'll gag.

9 Chickweed Lane 5/21/2003

This perspective makes my brain hurt. Are we looking through a glass floor or something?

Zits

"Well son, when you start paying the bills...." :v:

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

Nemi is yesterday's. So, what's the UK's "ooo day off party theme" today? :v:

• Locked thread