Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

isn't the niche sister-loving fascists tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just jumping in to this retarded discussion to say this show is boring as poo poo. Peace.

:pwn:

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 21, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Namtab posted:

Am I the only one who felt really sorry for chiya?

Orange? She's a nice person, she deserves a better life.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is now a thread about bad shows that you have recently watched but enjoyed in spite of such.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Are you guys talking about that other harem comedy thing? I find that I can enjoy bad action series, but can't really deal with any bad harem/rom-com things because the genre itself is bad, rather than anything specific to each show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

They actually got a pretty good animator to be Action Animation Director for this show (he animated the hand to hand fight scene in episode 1) except there isn't any action for him to work on so he's doing work on other shows instead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

i recently rewatched oreshura several months ago someone kill me

Hey now, Oreshura wasn't completely without merits. Yes, it was a lovely harem rom-com with boring, stereotypical characters and cliché story up the rear end, but I think it had a little merit, even if it was mostly due to accidental timing: At the same time that I watched that series, I was playing Project x Zone (itself another boring piece of entertainment which had amongst its few redeeming values the chance to introduce me to the :ssj: SUPER ROBOT WARS :ssj: franchise) and it was that anime that made me realize that Yukari Tamura has a really cool voice when she does her breathy lower register and stops trying to sound like a shrill banshee spawn kid Nanoha. Ai Kayano was also a revelation, what with her really goofy voice when she goes over-the-top tsundere. Servant x Service basically confirmed that.

In Gary Stu MC-related content, having watched episode 7, I'm not sure I want to keep watching this show, not even in that MST3K way where we make fun of how dumb and dull it is. I already read up until the end of this following arc and, aside from a few differences that have already been pointed out, it's been basically a 1:1 adaptation and it looks like it's going to continue to be that way. On the other hand, this thread has proven to be highly entertaining, so I just might soldier on.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
drat you all. This thread has made me interested enough in this show just to see how bad it is.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah. Silver was such a bully which was kinda disconcerting seeing as the show tries to make her sympathetic.

Good luck in the inevitable season 2, Orange~

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

drat you all. This thread has made me interested enough in this show just to see how bad it is.

Honestly, the only thing remotely entertaining about the show is the inversion of roles where you end up rooting for the underdog enemy and wishing harm on the smug, right-wing protagonist(s).

It's also interesting to look at the comments section and come to the realization that many anime fans enjoy literally every single anime, regardless of quality (or lack thereof). I try to convince myself that most of them must be 14 years old, but the reality is probably far more depressing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Namtab posted:

Yeah. Silver was such a bully which was kinda disconcerting seeing as the show tries to make her sympathetic.

Good luck in the inevitable season 2, Orange~

Red was like a hundred times funnier than Orange and fulfilled the exact same archetype so I dunno why Orange even existed.

Phobophilia posted:

This is now a thread about bad shows that you have recently watched but enjoyed in spite of such.

Now this is my kind of thread. Well, minus the "enjoyed".

Also not gonna lie, I'm surprised WickedHate hasn't been redtexted yet. Maybe ADTRW does have restraint after all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, the only thing remotely entertaining about the show is the inversion of roles where you end up rooting for the underdog enemy and wishing harm on the smug, right-wing protagonist(s).

It's also interesting to look at the comments section and come to the realization that many anime fans enjoy literally every single anime, regardless of quality (or lack thereof). I try to convince myself that most of them must be 14 years old, but the reality is probably far more depressing.

That would actually make a good story. A bunch of average citizens fighting for a cause they believe in against the entitled gary-stu and his dull as hell sister. Maybe other people have commentated on it but hearing a sister call her brother oni-sama just sounds creepy to me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Red was like a hundred times funnier than Orange and fulfilled the exact same archetype so I dunno why Orange even existed.

Orange was better than pink hth.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

That would actually make a good story. A bunch of average citizens fighting for a cause they believe in against the entitled gary-stu and his dull as hell sister. Maybe other people have commentated on it but hearing a sister call her brother oni-sama just sounds creepy to me.

It's not quite the same but one of the villains in Gun x Sword was a little bit like that, in that he was meant to be like Kira in Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny. Dude constantly insists that he's right and that the good guys just can't understand them (while never even trying to explain what his goals are, of course). Or in other words his argument is basically "I'm right because I'm right", which certainly isn't too far removed from this anime :v:

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 21, 2014

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Hunt11 posted:

Maybe other people have commentated on it but hearing a sister call her brother oni-sama just sounds creepy to me.

It's just a really respectful way to call your brother, like onee-sama for a sister. Everything else about her is what makes it seem creepy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Schubalts posted:

It's just a really respectful way to call your brother, like onee-sama for a sister. Everything else about her is what makes it seem creepy.

Respectful? More like subservient.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Now that I have caught up with the thread time to hear more horrible opinions.

I liked the anime solely because of the universe, "scientific magic! sign me up" Oh lovely magic doesn't get butt hosed even better!

But like everyone said, it is hard to like for me as the characters which would make up most of the show are bland and boring as they feel like they have no contribution to the plot besides being stand in characters who can be unnamed for half the show then get one as ultimately at episode 7 they did jack poo poo.

Ultimately I never really saw the ultra nationalistic agenda, but I did see the "rich poor" contrast. And it did make it groan and go "oh loving poo poo not this again".

at the end of the day I would probably still watch it to explore more of this magic universe but its meh for anything worthwhile.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I finally caught up, and I think it's cool as hell that the people who are against discrimination were slaughtered like livestock. It's like a horror movie, where conventional weapons are ineffectual against the looming menace. Heck, said menace even killed unarmed people that weren't even resisting. It's very terrifying, and makes me feel for their plight.

Wait a second, those were the *bad* guys that got killed off like that?

Whoops.

e: my good buddy Tarranon, who posted in this thread earlier but does not want to post in it anymore, told me to quote him on this thing:

quote:

tarranon: the school's terrifyingly corrupt practices are okay because it lets the dumb girl off hook with her bad ideas
tarranon: like in any other context this would be the root of a political thriller
tarranon: a school covering up a loving terrorist attack launched by its own disgruntled students

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 23, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It was explicitly shown they didn't kill anyone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Funny enough that doesn't change who I feel sympathetic for in this situation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You're still exaggerating to make it sound worse.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nah, I legit feel like the terrorists are legit more sympathetic than the main cast, despite being hella strawmen. I feel bad for the dude that got his arm chopped off! He might not be dead but dang, one arm. That's a heck of a way to live the rest of your life.

Heck, even ignoring how I feel about that, it was a lovely fight since we took 7 episodes to get to a "fight" so one-sided that calling it a fight doesn't even make sense on any level.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember someone shooting lasers or something that looked like they had a ~2 inch diameter through a bunch of peoples' shoulders and other seemingly non-lethal areas, but in real life that would probably kill you.

The only reason no one supposedly died is that the protagonists are just so much more overwhelmingly powerful that they can effortlessly subdue the enemy without having to resort to lethal force. I'm assuming that they'll have to face other magic users at some point*, because it's kind of impossible to create tension when you can snap your fingers and make guns disassemble themselves.

*Though even that wouldn't work because the protagonist has the ability to nullify all magic. If he can reflect projectiles, disassemble weapons, and nullify magic, how in the world is he ever going to be threatened? Poison gas maybe?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That was Tatsuya's matter disintegration power. He was dissolving holes through their muscles. The problem is, Tatsuya can't make cauterized wounds. He can do loads of ridiculous things including healing people completely, but every hole he put in those guys would have bled profusely. If anything, Miyuki inadvertently prevented them from bleeding to death with her murderous rampage.
But goddamn, the idea of a bunch of students acting as vigilantes with no particular secrecy and no repercussions for their actions is kind of monstrous. They have connections, so they can do whatever they want. They stayed at the factory even when the authorities showed up, and none of the students were questioned in any way. The cast is literally above the law, and the main duo doesn't value human life at all.

Edit: He can recover from wounds. Poison gas wouldn't do poo poo. Tatsuya would die if enough of his body was destroyed instantly, but with all of his other bullshit abilities it wouldn't be easy to accomplish. One person came kind of close, but she wimped out because she couldn't resist Tatsuya's amazing wooden charisma.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 23, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

You should all stop watching this ironically and go watch/rewatch Chaika and Mondaiji respectively. You're welcome.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

I feel bad for the dude that got his arm chopped off! He might not be dead but dang, one arm. That's a heck of a way to live the rest of your life.

Considering he hyponotized people into carrying out a terrorist attack on their own school with automatic weapons and rocket launchers, he's lucky.

HiveCommander posted:

You should all stop watching this ironically and go watch/rewatch Chaika and Mondaiji respectively. You're welcome.
I keep hearing Chaika described as a "lolibait" anime.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Considering he hyponotized people into carrying out a terrorist attack on their own school with automatic weapons and rocket launchers, he's lucky.

He's still sympathetic to some degree, which is more than I can say for a lot of the cast, despite the fact that he's a gigantic strawman. Especially considering how ill-equipped his group was. It was like watching a grown man kick a helpless baby, and then deciding to steal its candy to rub salt in its wound.

Serious Frolicking posted:

That was Tatsuya's matter disintegration power. He was dissolving holes through their muscles. The problem is, Tatsuya can't make cauterized wounds. He can do loads of ridiculous things including healing people completely, but every hole he put in those guys would have bled profusely. If anything, Miyuki inadvertently prevented them from bleeding to death with her murderous rampage.
But goddamn, the idea of a bunch of students acting as vigilantes with no particular secrecy and no repercussions for their actions is kind of monstrous. They have connections, so they can do whatever they want. They stayed at the factory even when the authorities showed up, and none of the students were questioned in any way. The cast is literally above the law, and the main duo doesn't value human life at all.

It's pretty cool that they can perform vigilante justice on a bunch of downtrodden people and never suffer any negative repercussions, and get told how awesome they are instead. Being incredibly wealthy probably rules.

Srice fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 23, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA what? You're thinking of Black Bullet, which is also loads better than this despite being loli-city

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

It's pretty cool that they can perform vigilante justice on a bunch of downtrodden people and never suffer any negative repercussions, and get told how awesome they are instead.

They aren't downtrodden though. They aren't even the ones that think they are downtrodden, they were all the ones behind the manipulating of that.

HiveCommander posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA what? You're thinking of Black Bullet, which is also loads better than this despite being loli-city

Maybe, yeah. I've definitely heard it about Black Bullet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, the brutal vigilante justice is certainly framed and shot in a way that it feels like police brutality, except with even *less* oversight :v:

I *am* the (magic) law.

(I mean seriously after that terrorist takedown am I supposed to think the main cast *aren't* all sociopaths?)

Srice fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 23, 2014

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

It's okay, at least it's not like Tatsuya knows why kids like--- oh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

They aren't downtrodden though. They aren't even the ones that think they are downtrodden, they were all the ones behind the manipulating of that.

Well, they're clearly upset about something. There are two possibilities here:

1. The students (and other non-magical elites) are upset because magical elites are unfairly wealthy/privileged.

2. The students and other non-elites are incredibly stupid and easily manipulated into hating the magical elites.

In the first case, the magical elites would pretty obviously be the bad guys. And if the second case is accurate, the series condescendingly treats the non-elites like easily manipulated fools. Either way I find myself disliking the protagonists.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Srice posted:

He's still sympathetic to some degree, which is more than I can say for a lot of the cast, despite the fact that he's a gigantic strawman. Especially considering how ill-equipped his group was. It was like watching a grown man kick a helpless baby, and then deciding to steal its candy to rub salt in its wound.

WickedHate posted:

Terrorism implies that they cause terror. The students were more than a match for them, so the message a viewer gets is that this group was not only right in bearing arms, they should have brought even more firepower with them!

This is pretty much my trip report for that section:
-Oh cool the school council president is going to ask everyone to try harder and to stop the bloom/weed thing. Good poo poo. That will totally solve all the complex sociological problems their society has and they willingly overlook.
-WHOA A loving BOMB!? Jesus that's a little much! I mean I know they're dicks but you don't have t-guns!?
-Man the one faction I wanted to root for are strawman terrorists. I suppose I should have seen this coming. Oh well at least the anime is doing something other than loving talking.

NEXT EPISODE

-Oh so the students are more than a match for the terrorists even if the latter have cast jamming.
-Seriously how are you getting beaten!? You have a weapon that renders them into normal people and you have guns! I know you don't stand a chance against The One Who Shatters Worlds, but against the common chumps you should be more than a match.
-Wow this is...really unfair. So the guns were a reasonable use of force. In an attack on this school, guns and explosives were a reasonable use of force. thisfuckingshow

FAST FORWARD

-"ONII-SAMA" HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR

FAST FORWARD

-Because it's not enough for Ubermensch Tatsuya to be right, Mibu must be emotionally broken down, hypnotized and crying into his big, strong chest. After all, she's a woman amirite fellas :mrapig: :jerkbag:

FAST FORWARD

-Wow this humvee part is actually pretty cool
-Yeah dude I'd run. Seriously don't negotiate with this cock.
-Yeah of course their guns are pointless saw that coming.
-OH JESUS WHAT THE gently caress MIYUKI
-This is not a reasonable amount of force. In this universe, guns are an UNREASONABLY SMALL amount of force.
-This is a one-sided slaughter. I mean you can't even call these guys terrorists. That would imply they inspire terror in some way.
-JESUS gently caress WAS THAT NECESSARY!?
-SO ARE YOU ALL GOING TO JUST WATCH HIM BLEED FROM HIS STUMP!?
-Okay at least he stopped the bleeding. You're actually kind of cool, Big Dude.

That's amazing :golfclap:
Seriously wow that is so loving tatsuya.txt I'm not sure they didn't actually get it from the show itself.

WickedHate posted:

It's not. Chaika is loving awesome and if this show put at least as much care into its fights as Chaika does, I would unironically enjoy it.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 23, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So is this show... actually popular in Japan? :stare:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

No idea how the anime is doing but the light novels are insanely popular and sell quite well (quite well for light novels, at least).

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Srice posted:

No idea how the anime is doing but the light novels are insanely popular and sell quite well (quite well for light novels, at least).

hopefully it's more for the anime-babes-wish-fulfillment part than the "gently caress proles/foreigners" attitude at least.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Harime Nui posted:

It's one of the most popular of it's season, next to Stardust Crusaders.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

hopefully it's more for the anime-babes-wish-fulfillment part than the "gently caress proles/foreigners" attitude at least.

I can't believe I'd ever say "I hope otaku are buying this for the incest", but there you go.

(Though the fact that the protagonist is a high schooler that is so smart he doesn't even need to be in high school probably helps too)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The incest niche appeals to a lot of people too, but I'm sure that alone wouldn't blind people to the nationalist elements, if they existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WickedHate posted:

The incest niche appeals to a lot of people too, but I'm sure that alone wouldn't blind people to the nationalist elements, if they existed.

That would require the nationalism to be perceived as problem to the Japanese viewers.

• Locked thread