Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Both my iPad Air and iPhone 5s has crashes once every day or two on 7.0.x, and none at all since 7.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jack Gladney posted:

They really need to fire the person who keeps making their tablet computer sound like it was made by kotex.

Pretty sure that, as silly and obvious as "iPad" jokes are, "iPad Maxi" is a bridge into absurdity even Apple would know better than to cross.

Edit: if we get a big iPad, it'll be the iPad Pro.

Pro/Air/Mini.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

My iPhone 5 never ever ever crashed on me :shrug:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

awesome-express posted:

My iPhone 5 never ever ever crashed on me :shrug:
Not an A7 device, which was responsible for the majority of iOS 7.0 crashes.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
My 5S is still on 7.0.6 (JB) and I can't remember the last time I had a crash.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Don Tacorleone posted:

Not at all, iOS 7.1 is very stable on my iPad Air.

Speaking of ipads, rumors about this iPad Maxi going around:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/05/is-this-apples-ipad-pro-or-a-fake

Can't wait to see what iPhone apps look like on this (if it were real).

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there a way yet to connect an external HDD to the iPad and play movie files, without jailbreaking?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

Is there a way yet to connect an external HDD to the iPad and play movie files, without jailbreaking?

Yes* using an iPad camera connection kit. (also assuming the external HDD has a separate power source)

* You'd only import a movie when you're ready to watch it. To do this, rename your movies to match the file name structure of your digital camera. For example, "DCIM_4132." Then, drag the file into a folder labeled "DCIM" on an SD card or a thumbdrive. When you plug your SD card or thumbdrive into the iPad via the CCK, you'll be able to import the movie onto your iPad and play it from the Photos app.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This is slightly less annoying than the camera kit deal and can charge your battery.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSFCYFY/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_uO.Etb0QHG15S

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

ChocNitty posted:

I like this:

Kingston Wi-Drive USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
http://amzn.com/B00822GIH2

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Are there still video files that the ipad can't play? I've transferred some stuff from my mac, but some of it lacks sound etc. Is this just a question of getting another player app, or are there things that are impossible to play correctly?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

Are there still video files that the ipad can't play? I've transferred some stuff from my mac, but some of it lacks sound etc. Is this just a question of getting another player app, or are there things that are impossible to play correctly?

The iPad is still pretty much locked into Apple's mp4 and m4v formats.

Some video apps out there may be able to handle more but there was a licensing issue (I think) that forced a lot of them to cripple themselves.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
There are apps that will play pretty much all files, barring weird esoteric encoding settings. The issue with Dolby/DTS licensing was solved by at least a few of the top apps a long time ago.

Check out nPlayer or AVPlayerHD

The app description is pretty good, detailing all supported formats.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I forgot to mention that I'm using AVPlayerHD to play video files. Nevertheless, I still have problems with sound on a number of files. I could just research this stuff whenever I decide to get my hands on the files, but I often don't know beforehand if I'm going to watch stuff on my ipad or a laptop. It's a bit of a hassle and one of very few irritating things with the ipads IMO.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
One of the single best reasons to jailbreak is still the free XBMC for iPad, which will play almost everything.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Xabi posted:

I forgot to mention that I'm using AVPlayerHD to play video files. Nevertheless, I still have problems with sound on a number of files. I could just research this stuff whenever I decide to get my hands on the files, but I often don't know beforehand if I'm going to watch stuff on my ipad or a laptop. It's a bit of a hassle and one of very few irritating things with the ipads IMO.

Try VLC? It's free at least. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vlc-for-ios/id650377962?mt=8

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
VLC is kind of a joke on iOS.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

eddiewalker posted:

I use the gently caress out of it on my iPad. It works fantastic, plus you can add a pin to the app to lock out your kid from all your pr0n.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

I'm by no means a power user and just use it to watch the occasional movie I've ripped from a DVD. What makes it a joke?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah VLC works fine for what I use it for. (Viewing non-mp4 videos) Kind of curious what's supposedly wrong with it?

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 15, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah VLC works fine for what I use it for. (Viewing non-mp4 videos) Kind of curious what's supposedly wrong with it?

VLC is one of the few players on iPad that has done what it said it would. A lot of those AVPLAYERHD and such deals out there choke on half the poo poo I used to throw at them. VLC does not.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Wash your greasy, Cheeto dusted ape mitts. And just wipe the thing off. Unless you are a mechanic, and are talking about actual grease or something, it is incredibly easy to keep an air clean by just occasionally wiping it on your pant leg or t-shirt when needed.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

eddiewalker posted:

Well don't leave us hanging. What's the joke?

almost
Sep 2, 2012

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

randyest posted:

Well don't leave us hanging. What's the joke?

It spent so long pulled from the App Store that when it finally made a Second Coming, everyone made such a big deal about it.

Yet, it didn't really do anything the built-in player couldn't do except play h264 video in mkv containers and a little streaming.

Off the top of my head: no gestures, no over-volume support, no real folder support... Things desktop-VLC and the pay-players have had forever that are really handy on a tablet.

Did it get better? I paid $4 and never looked back.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Playing MKV is all I needed VLC for.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What the gently caress, when did VLC come back? They made a huge baby hissy fit about some GNU/Linux licensing re: Apple's policies and they left. As far as I know Apple never changed any of their policies so I wonder why they came back. I thought it was a regrettable decision and hoped they came back but I guess most people just said "Good riddance".

eddiewalker posted:

It spent so long pulled from the App Store that when it finally made a Second Coming, everyone made such a big deal about it.

Yet, it didn't really do anything the built-in player couldn't do except play h264 video in mkv containers and a little streaming.

Off the top of my head: no gestures, no over-volume support, no real folder support... Things desktop-VLC and the pay-players have had forever that are really handy on a tablet.

Which app do you use? I'll pay 4 bucks for a decent app.

By the way if anyone knows of an iPad Youtube app that plays videos in the background I'd be grateful for the tip. I used Protuber on my iPhone but apparently it was removed and I can't download it anymore.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mu Zeta posted:

Playing MKV is all I needed VLC for.

Hear hear. It does that beautifully and without fail while other apps that claim to, do not, or do so very poorly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
nPlayer has been great for me v:shobon:v

almost posted:

Even so, I'd appreciate if anyone has any recommendations for an iPad Air case with no front cover (or a removable front cover).
Maybe some rear shell plus the Smart Cover?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

I can swipe left and right to skip 30sec in the video (up and down changes brightness) and folders seem to work just fine for me. Other than over volume I'm not sure what else makes it a joke.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Which app do you use? I'll pay 4 bucks for a decent app.

CineXplayer has played everything Ive thrown at it.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

almost posted:

What's my best option for an iPad Air case if I mostly just want to keep the iPad from getting greasy. I want to keep it small and lightweight. Are there cases with no front cover? I just want one of those transparent screen protectors for the front.

The Poetic ThinShell seems to be the Amazon favorite. I use it with and without the smart cover and it's inoffensive enough.

almost
Sep 2, 2012

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I use the rooCASE origami on my Air and love it - very form fitting, light and has the nice rubberized feel. Was 10 bucks when I picked one up but it looks to be around $25 now.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Hey guys are there any good keyboard cases for the iPad air?
I'm looking for one that's as close to the smart cover as possible.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Forbin5 posted:

Hey guys are there any good keyboard cases for the iPad air?
I'm looking for one that's as close to the smart cover as possible.

Obligatory Wirecutter Link.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have the zagg one and really like it. It makes it just like a mini laptop and the hinge attach is really good and easy to take off if you want to use it in portrait mode.

Anyone have a recommendation for an iPad 2 case that would be good for a preschooler? Something cheap on close out would be perfect!

priznat fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 24, 2014

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

priznat posted:

I have the zagg one and really like it. It makes it just like a mini laptop and the hinge attach is really good and easy to take off if you want to use it in portrait mode.

Anyone have a recommendation for an iPad 2 case that would be good for a preschooler? Something cheap on close out would be perfect!

This thing is exactly what I was looking for thanks!
http://www.zagg.com/ipad-air-folio/8513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I have the logitech folio one. Its rad as gently caress.