Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
I am surprised that there was no mention by you guys about the "nerd" comment by Dean about Metatron. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Saveron_01 posted:

I am surprised that there was no mention by you guys about the "nerd" comment by Dean about Metatron. :lol:

Still less demeaning than Big Bang Theory.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brennan posted:

I can't wait for Dean to slice Metatron up with the first blade

More likely that Gadriel does it and Dean offs Sam.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So I got to thinking. With Bloodlines dead in the water, the plot points left unfinished by the backdoor pilot need to be handled. Now, I know that the solution for many of you would be “BANISH THE WHOLE loving THING FROM YOUR MIND GODDAMMIT". At first, I agreed. But then I thought... what about wrapping the story of monster-infested Chicago up in a video game?

When you think about it, the premise of the episode is a perfect setup for an expansive open-world action game - you have a city, a collection of enemies both numerous and powerful yet hardly invincible, and frankly there idea that Sam and Dean wouldn't go back there to clean house is silly.

From where I can see the basics of the story would be obvious - Sean, Dean and Cas head to Chicago during a time gap (likely between seasons), and with the help of the noob hunter and the human-friendly shapeshifter, hide out and fight the Five Families from the shadows. Violence and intrigue ensue, with a variety of enemies that the player (as Sam or Dean) would have to kill in different ways, with the families' leaders and top enforcers serving as bosses. You'd have access to all kinds of weaponry from the show, there would be easter eggs aplenty, and, of course, you could drive the Impala.

Hey, I'd play it.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BreakAtmo posted:

Hey, I'd play it.

This would be acceptable only if it were to Supernatural as Deadly Premonition was to Twin Peaks.

Alternatively, Saints Row 4, down to super powers and everything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Which episode # was the Chicago one? I must have subconsciously avoided it because I haven't missed an episode of Supernatural yet....but somehow avoided this one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

cool kids inc. posted:

This would be acceptable only if it were to Supernatural as Deadly Premonition was to Twin Peaks.

What would the Supernatural version of the dubstep gun be, a spell that makes everyone in range have tear-choked heart-to-heart chats set against classic rock?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Medullah posted:

Which episode # was the Chicago one? I must have subconsciously avoided it because I haven't missed an episode of Supernatural yet....but somehow avoided this one.

#20, I believe?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Medullah posted:

It was #20, right after the one with the sheriff and the vampire slave girl.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

computer parts posted:

It was #20, right after the one with the sheriff and the vampire slave girl.

The OCD completionist in me wants to go back and watch it, but the me who reads this thread does not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Medullah posted:

The OCD completionist in me wants to go back and watch it, but the me who reads this thread does not.

Honestly if you just treat it like that one found footage episode with the werewolf it's not *that* bad. The worst part is the cliffhanger with the guy's long dead father calling him.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

cool kids inc. posted:

Since you mentioned Twin Peaks I thought this thing I just saw was worth posting (despite having zilch to do with the thread):

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/05/15/twin-peaks-blu-ray-coming-90-minutes-of-deleted-scenes

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

So I got to thinking. With Bloodlines dead in the water, the plot points left unfinished by the backdoor pilot need to be handled. Now, I know that the solution for many of you would be “BANISH THE WHOLE loving THING FROM YOUR MIND GODDAMMIT". At first, I agreed. But then I thought... what about wrapping the story of monster-infested Chicago up in a video game?

When you think about it, the premise of the episode is a perfect setup for an expansive open-world action game - you have a city, a collection of enemies both numerous and powerful yet hardly invincible, and frankly there idea that Sam and Dean wouldn't go back there to clean house is silly.

From where I can see the basics of the story would be obvious - Sean, Dean and Cas head to Chicago during a time gap (likely between seasons), and with the help of the noob hunter and the human-friendly shapeshifter, hide out and fight the Five Families from the shadows. Violence and intrigue ensue, with a variety of enemies that the player (as Sam or Dean) would have to kill in different ways, with the families' leaders and top enforcers serving as bosses. You'd have access to all kinds of weaponry from the show, there would be easter eggs aplenty, and, of course, you could drive the Impala.

Hey, I'd play it.

Or go for a budget brawler, something like Streets of Rage or Double Dragon. Each character has their own crazy super-move: Dean whips out the first blade, Cas torches everything on screen, and Sam drowns everything in a pool of angst. Make the health pickups pie, the weapon pickups stuff from their trunk (rock salt shotguns, 1911's with silver bullets, machetes, etc). The obligatory driving level would have the Impala with the racist truck as the boss and the funhouse level could be a mashup of the trickster stuff. Game would be rad, yo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

OptimusWang posted:

Or go for a budget brawler, something like Streets of Rage or Double Dragon. Each character has their own crazy super-move: Dean whips out the first blade, Cas torches everything on screen, and Sam drowns everything in a pool of angst. Make the health pickups pie, the weapon pickups stuff from their trunk (rock salt shotguns, 1911's with silver bullets, machetes, etc). The obligatory driving level would have the Impala with the racist truck as the boss and the funhouse level could be a mashup of the trickster stuff. Game would be rad, yo.

Make Crowley and the Gabester Hidden/DLC Characters and I'd pay TONS of money for that :allears:

The show has tons of potential for mechandise and the fact that books and random stuff (jewelry, mugs) here and there are the only thing available is kind of baffling.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Just a few old Supernatural questions:

1. What is the current status of the Colt? I think the last time I saw it was in the past? Have they said who has it now?

2. Besides the Slenderman episode, have there been other episodes where the villains weren't supernatural at all?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Leelee posted:

2. Besides the Slenderman episode, have there been other episodes where the villains weren't supernatural at all?

Crazy formerly possessed dude in season 7 did a ritual at some point in the episode, but he mostly did everything by normal means and was just a seriously deranged bloke. I think there were others, but right now it escapes me.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Wasn't there a deranged cannibal family in the first season?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

atomicgeek posted:

Hah, that episode reminded me of a certain X-Files episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

atomicgeek posted:

Yes, 1.15 "The Benders". The only other one I can remember is the "haunted house" that turned out to be a girl and her brother who were the children of the crazy previous owner. (It's 4.11 - "Family Remains")

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
I kinda of hope the new series this fall "Constantine" will be the spiritual successor to Supernatural. Maybe I will just look at that as the actual spinoff so I can forget that episode.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Saveron_01 posted:

I kinda of hope the new series this fall "Constantine" will be the spiritual successor to Supernatural. Maybe I will just look at that as the actual spinoff so I can forget that episode.

Supernatural is the spiritual successor to Hellblazer as it is, and Constantine seems pretty much exactly like the Hellblazer books in spirit, so this may be a case of "the show that is actually based on the source of the predecessor to a popular show feels like a retread of the popular show."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Darko posted:

Supernatural is the spiritual successor to Hellblazer as it is, and Constantine seems pretty much exactly like the Hellblazer books in spirit, so this may be a case of "the show that is actually based on the source of the predecessor to a popular show feels like a retread of the popular show."

Plus sheesh, a dude in a tie and trenchcoat? Come on, NBC, get original! Way to rip off Castiel!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm looking forward to that show more than any other this fall. Don't gently caress it up NBC. Beats being on Fox though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Medullah posted:

Plus sheesh, a dude in a tie and trenchcoat? Come on, NBC, get original! Way to rip off Castiel!

I went to Detroit's Comic-con today and couldn't figure out if people were cosplaying John or Castiel.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Depends on if they have a cig and a tattoo.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The final season needs Mark Pellegrino back as Lucifer. :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

First Bass posted:

Well the Tomorrow People is being cancelled so he's probably available.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

First Bass posted:

Is that guy as typecast as I think, or have I only been exposed to a skewed sample of his work? He seems to always play the same menacing, calculating sadist in everything.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, he's come a long way from the thug in The Big Lebowski, or the rear end in a top hat federal guy in The Hunted.

Currently losing my god damned mind though, cause my friend who does the supernatural prop stuff just popped up a surprise project that I have been bugging him about since I saw it on the show.

24k gold plated key to the batcave :)

He's going to have em in silver as well as steel, so I'm gonna start pinching pennies so I can have my shinies added to my ever growing supernatural dust catching collection :)

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

OptimusWang posted:

Or go for a budget brawler, something like Streets of Rage or Double Dragon. Each character has their own crazy super-move: Dean whips out the first blade, Cas torches everything on screen, and Sam drowns everything in a pool of angst. Make the health pickups pie and pudding, the weapon pickups stuff from their trunk (rock salt shotguns, 1911's with silver bullets, machetes, etc). The obligatory driving level would have the Impala with the racist truck as the boss and the funhouse level could be a mashup of the trickster stuff. Game would be rad, yo.

Fixed for you. But yes, brilliant idea. I mean, I still want a full-blown big-budget Chicago game, but I'm sure Chicago has arcades... useable arcades. Or a game console in Sam and Dean's hideout. Just put Winchesters of Rage/Double Winchester inside the main game, Day of the Tentacle-style.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Boy, the fact that the execs watched the backdoor pilot, looked at the numbers, and said, "Yeah, I guess it was watched by a bunch of people, but uh, I think we can do better guys," is surprisingly weird but good news.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DirtyRobot posted:

Boy, the fact that the execs watched the backdoor pilot, looked at the numbers, and said, "Yeah, I guess it was watched by a bunch of people, but uh, I think we can do better guys," is surprisingly weird but good news.

I think it was less of that and more about how everyone online was saying how lovely it was.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

GreenNight posted:

I think it was less of that and more about how everyone online was saying how lovely it was.

If they wanted to go the horizontal integration route, I'd have much rather they started off with a Supernatural Japanese gameshow spin-off or a Misha Collins hosted documentary series

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Finale is tonight, here's the synopsis:

quote:

Dean feels the effects of the First Blade, and Metatron (guest star Curtis Armstrong) makes his move against humanity. Meanwhile, Sam, Dean and Castiel face shocking consequences when taking the fight to Metatron.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Crowley bitching Dean out about not ordering enough to tip the waitress more than a nickel. :allears:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Well I'm sold. Metatron's got my vote.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
We have 20 minutes yet. Something Mark related is gonna kick in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Even odds on Dean selling his soul again to get out of there.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I know Cain is a demon but wasn't part of the curse God put on Cain for him to walk the earth forever? Or am I getting it mixed up with vampire the masquerade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

frgildan posted:

I know Cain is a demon but wasn't part of the curse God put on Cain for him to walk the earth forever? Or am I getting it mixed up with vampire the masquerade?

No, that's what I vaguely remember: And I shall put my mark upon him that none may bring him harm or something like that.

• Locked thread