Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Rei_ posted:

Christ it's going to be lovely when leave your children the job of being Something Awful Toku Thread timekeeper.

That would explanation everything that's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

AzraelNewtype posted:

That would explanation everything that's happened.

Like youre posts

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://megabeastempire.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/after-v-06-juspion-15-and-a-film/

MegaBeast Empire subbed a Goranger movie. The miniature special effects are glorious.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
God drat this week's episode of Gaim sucked.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

God drat this week's episode of Gaim sucked.

I was shocked it wasn't HeatTrigger!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I loved the way Right comes up with Super ToQ-Oh. He's told he can imagine whatever he wants, so he mashes all the trains together into a giant robot without even knowing whether it's possible. Of course, it still looks like rear end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

V-Men posted:

I loved the way Right comes up with Super ToQ-Oh. He's told he can imagine whatever he wants, so he mashes all the trains together into a giant robot without even knowing whether it's possible. Of course, it still looks like rear end.

Just because there's a lot of IMAGINATION behind it does not mean that there's any sort of aesthetics behind it. Also, it seems like next episode is a Hikari-centric episode with another accessory introduced. So not relevant to the larger plot at all, from what it looks like.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
ToQGer seems to have found a sort of groove. I'm liking it.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

jonjonaug posted:

How far are you? It only gets better as it goes along. The last 15 or so episodes are some top tier stuff.

Not very far, actually. I just did episode 13, where there are a microscope and a microbiology reference book out of nowhere in a bike garage, and he develops a new technique by saving a puppy. Last episode he got the new bike, Lord Sector or Roadsector depending on how the translator deals with 'roudusekutoru'.

Zero_Tactility posted:

I love Kamen Rider Black so drat much. Tetsuo Kurata does a fantastic job as Minami Kotaro; there isn't a whole lot going on with the character besides "drat you, Gorgom!" and being generally pleasant to everyone else, but the intensity he brings to the role is fantastic. The Kamen Rider Black suit is also great. It has a wonderful simplicity to its design (though it does bug me that the seam on the back of the torso is so sloppy during some episodes, but that's minor complaint about the show's production rather than the design). There's a whole lot of dumb stuff going on with the various monsters of the week, but it plays them so straight that the entire show has a wonderful earnestness to it.

(Also, the theme songs for the opening and credits are really good)

Agreed on every point. Of all the stuff I've watched that follows the formula "title song plays when they transform", Kamen Rider Black has been by far the one that gets me the most pumped.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's definitely Road Sector. Because it's on a road!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just tried watching the Gaim crossover battle movie.

What the gently caress was that?!

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
After Goseiger is finished, Millionfold Curiosity is going to be subbing Gingaman, and then Ohranger.

https://twitter.com/MegaAnon/status/468890348727857153

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

FortMax posted:

After Goseiger is finished, Millionfold Curiosity is going to be subbing Gingaman, and then Ohranger.

Oh. Well, I guess someone else will get around to super-1.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FortMax posted:

Truly we're in a Toku golden age. Someone is subbing Goranger and moving on to JAKQ, and now another group is doing Ginga and Oh. My Sentai wish list is getting pretty empty.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

jivjov posted:

Truly we're in a Toku golden age. Someone is subbing Goranger and moving on to JAKQ, and now another group is doing Ginga and Oh. My Sentai wish list is getting pretty empty.

Then there's a whole other list of Kamen Rider that needs (competent) translation.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Hahaha, the Shadow of the week is a giant monocle :monocle:

didn't there used to be a double monocle?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

Hahaha, the Shadow of the week is a giant monocle :monocle:

didn't there used to be a double monocle?

Those are called glasses, Dr Tran.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

FortMax posted:

It's a shame that one group, Hi no Tori or something, stopped doing Gingaman like 3/4 of the way through. I remember them being alright. Could take some of the brunt off the existing sub groups.

Don't get me wrong though, Mega Anon is really great.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Does Kabuto turn to poo poo at some point? I finished Black, and I always liked the suits so I figured I'd give it a shot. Aside from the normal dumb TV-N poo poo and some passable melodrama it seems pretty good (up to 5 so far). Tendou's a bit weird, but he doesn't seem horrible, and I like most of the supporting cast.

Edit: Also goddamn ZECTroopers have a worse mortality rate than original XCom soldiers.

Darksaber fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 21, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Darksaber posted:

Does Kabuto turn to poo poo at some point? I finished Black, and I always liked the suits so I figured I'd give it a shot. Aside from the normal dumb TV-N poo poo and some passable melodrama it seems pretty good (up to 5 so far). Tendou's a bit weird, but he doesn't seem horrible, and I like most of the supporting cast.

Edit: Also goddamn ZECTroopers have a worse mortality rate than original XCom soldiers.

The melodrama gets worse, but if you're enjoying it keep watching. I personally wasn't able to stomach the series for its entirety, but I in no way regret watching what I did, and am thinking of giving it another try.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I'm honestly more likely to stop watching due to onii-sama-no-tachi-baka than due to the melodrama. Also oh my god finally a show that unites my love of cooking shows and karate bugmen.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Darksaber posted:

I'm honestly more likely to stop watching due to onii-sama-no-tachi-baka than due to the melodrama. Also oh my god finally a show that unites my love of cooking shows and karate bugmen.

The food is the best part of the show, bar none. I really want to try mackerel now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Enjoyment of Kabuto really hinges on how much you can stomach Tendou's character, and to a lesser extent Hiyori. The food stuff really (karate) bugged me at the time, mostly because it was something to rail against the show with, but it is an interesting quirk how just about every non-fighting scene (and some of the fights) involve food in some way.

Kagami is the real star of the show as he's arguably the real main character, and a lot of the side characters are fabulous as well. The suits are among the best Rider has to offer, and like most seasons the plot sort of falls off a cliff near the end where developments stop making a lot of sense as the writers scramble to tie everything off.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Just finished watching Kabuto the other day.

The amount of drama caused by people not telling people things FAR earlier for no good reason gets a bit silly and a bunch of plot points feel like they come out of no where because of this. Some of the supporting cast is some of the most annoying of any of the series i've watched, but I generally liked the silly gimmick of one of them.

Overall I found it okay. Far from my favorite series, but it wasn't as bad as Decade or OOO's was for me.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Crawfish posted:

Just finished watching Kabuto the other day.

The amount of drama caused by people not telling people things FAR earlier for no good reason gets a bit silly and a bunch of plot points feel like they come out of no where because of this. Some of the supporting cast is some of the most annoying of any of the series i've watched, but I generally liked the silly gimmick of one of them.

Overall I found it okay. Far from my favorite series, but it wasn't as bad as Decade or OOO's was for me.

Welcome to Kamen Rider prior to Double.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you don't want to put up with TV-Nihon subs there is a surprisingly good english dub of it that aired in the Philipines.

Also, is Tendou supposed to be a parody of that kind of character or are we actually supposed to take him seriously? Because while I'm liking the series so far the whole Mr. Perfect routine is kind of becoming annoying. And out of curiousity, do we ever meet this much talked about grandmother of his?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 21, 2014

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Larryb posted:

If you don't want to put up with TV-Nihon subs there is a surprisingly good english dub of it that aired in the Philipines.

Also, is Tendou supposed to be a parody of that kind of character or are we actually supposed to take him seriously? Because while I'm liking the series so far the whole Mr. Perfect routine is kind of becoming annoying.

I don't think Tendou is supposed to be a parody, but neither do you need to take him seriously.

I think I'll make some mapo tofu today, in honor of Kabuto and The Bee.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Double is only marginally better then Faiz-Decade because it actually was able to finish a plot.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Darksaber posted:

Riders Gattack and SaSword are the highlights, and the Hopper Bros get good too. The nonsensical ending and hate of Tendou is why most people hate it.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

Riders Gattack and SaSword are the highlights, and the Hopper Bros get good too. The nonsensical ending and hate of Tendou is why most people hate it.

There is no reason anyone should hate Tendou. Every Rider has a Mister Perfectism going on

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tendou's the only one who is never wrong and never gets goofed on. Compare and contrast with Tsukasa who has the same personality, but is often made fun of and occasionally is wrong.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Tendou's the only one who is never wrong and never gets goofed on. Compare and contrast with Tsukasa who has the same personality, but is often made fun of and occasionally is wrong.

Hell, let's compare to Kouta. He's working for the magical best solution to prevent the end of the world against everything and now has the win button kachidoki where he can't lose anything ever

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twistys Rapture posted:

Hell, let's compare to Kouta. He's working for the magical best solution to prevent the end of the world against everything and now has the win button kachidoki where he can't lose anything ever

Kouta has none of Tendou's smug confidence and inability to recognize his own flaws.

On the other hand, Kouta crying and losing confidence in himself was almost a comedy the second time it happened.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Tendou's Mister Perfection can be pretty fun though, to be honest. It's contrasted rather well with some really mundane events.
I like him for just how ridiculous it gets.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Kouta has none of Tendou's smug confidence and inability to recognize his own flaws.

On the other hand, Kouta crying and losing confidence in himself was almost a comedy the second time it happened.

The point is that every rider has perfectisms. Tendou had a batmanesque parents dying, went a little nutso about Hiyori and Dark Kabuto allowed different parts of Tendou's psyche to come to light.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Tendou's Mister Perfection can be pretty fun though, to be honest. It's contrasted rather well with some really mundane events.

Sabamiso ftw

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Potsticker posted:

Kouta's problem is neither lacking combat power nor believing he lacks it. He just doesn't believe his problems can, or should, be solved by application of it. And frankly, some of them can't.

Even Kaito "I show my strength by dancing" Kumon has a more nuanced grip on the situation than "jeez Kazuraba stop whining and kick the bad guys."

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Twistys Rapture posted:

There is no reason anyone should hate Tendou. Every Rider has a Mister Perfectism going on

Counterpoint: Faiz.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twistys Rapture posted:

The point is that every rider has perfectisms. Tendou had a batmanesque parents dying, went a little nutso about Hiyori and Dark Kabuto allowed different parts of Tendou's psyche to come to light.

Sure, but which other Rider is at Tendou's level of being Mr. Perfect? Where they have no flaws and the plot bends over backwards to show that they were right everytime?

Haruto comes close, but he injured a good friend and got blinded by his quest that Nitou had to step in to save the city and beat the main badguy.

Gentaro is a pretty good candidate, except he never smugly orders everyone else around and frequently takes Kengo's advice.

Takumi is similar to Kouta, Ryotaro gets pushed around by everyone for the first half of the show, Shotaro often ends up the butt of jokes and is supportive of Philip and Akkiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

everythingWasBees posted:

The best way to not hate Tendou is to appreciate how utterly absurd he is over the course of the series.

• Locked thread