Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

The Andalusian Muslims in 1066 are good choices too because you have piles of allies right next to you and tons of enemies above you. The Emir of Sicily in 1066 is a rough start because you are dejure of the Byzantines but is made up by the fact that the Duchy of Sicily is one of the best in the game short of the 3 big Persian ones.

This is from a while back, but I wouldn't rank the three big Persian duchies (which ones? Baghdad, Tigris, Esfahan, Hamadan?) the best in the game. The biggest point against them is that they are landlocked. You lose a ton of money by not getting the port building in your cities and not getting a trade zone bonus. Besides, being able to quickly ship your troops around is incredibly helpful.

Baghdad has 32 potential holdings, Sicily has 28. You can hold 4 castles in Palermo and can hold all other counties, for a total of 9 holdings in your demesne. For most of the game you will struggle to reach that limit unless you are good with breeding genius into your dynasty and/or getting a stewardship education. For that you get the probably strategically best placed duchy in the entire game, right in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea. And you would have the same number of castles as in Baghdad, since that county already has two cities in it.

Furthermore, it really depends on the focus of your realm. If you are playing an Europe oriented game, you absolutely don't want your demesne be in Asia, needing months to reach the right coast to ship your troops to the rebelling province/Aztec invasion force. If you are playing a more Asia oriented game, these duchies are great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Torrannor posted:

This is from a while back, but I wouldn't rank the three big Persian duchies (which ones? Baghdad, Tigris, Esfahan, Hamadan?) the best in the game. The biggest point against them is that they are landlocked. You lose a ton of money by not getting the port building in your cities and not getting a trade zone bonus. Besides, being able to quickly ship your troops around is incredibly helpful.

Baghdad has 32 potential holdings, Sicily has 28. You can hold 4 castles in Palermo and can hold all other counties, for a total of 9 holdings in your demesne. For most of the game you will struggle to reach that limit unless you are good with breeding genius into your dynasty and/or getting a stewardship education. For that you get the probably strategically best placed duchy in the entire game, right in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea. And you would have the same number of castles as in Baghdad, since that county already has two cities in it.

Furthermore, it really depends on the focus of your realm. If you are playing an Europe oriented game, you absolutely don't want your demesne be in Asia, needing months to reach the right coast to ship your troops to the rebelling province/Aztec invasion force. If you are playing a more Asia oriented game, these duchies are great though.

Who cares about a buncha stinky boats when I can pull 15k troops from one county? Tigris starts with 1 city and 2 temple vassals. As a muslim, you can hold the two mosques and then build a big pile of castles. Hold all 6 holdings your self, focus on a marital education and breed a secondary branch of also martial focused people. Slap down your marshal to train troops and get something crazy like a 100% bonus to levies in that county. Use it to completely stomp your way through the surrounding Muslim kings and Byzantium.

Once you get that far, yeah, you might want to flip your capital to something with access to water. But when your conquests are still focused on the middle east, you cant get any better than Tigris.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Who cares about a buncha stinky boats when I can pull 15k troops from one county? Tigris starts with 1 city and 2 temple vassals. As a muslim, you can hold the two mosques and then build a big pile of castles. Hold all 6 holdings your self, focus on a marital education and breed a secondary branch of also martial focused people. Slap down your marshal to train troops and get something crazy like a 100% bonus to levies in that county. Use it to completely stomp your way through the surrounding Muslim kings and Byzantium.

Once you get that far, yeah, you might want to flip your capital to something with access to water. But when your conquests are still focused on the middle east, you cant get any better than Tigris.

Besides, by the time you get from Baghdad to the Levantine sea you're probably strong enough to wage war with your retinues so having your capital on the coast probably won't matter that much.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just went through a lot of effort to jihad Jerusalem from England and when I win nothing happens. :waycool: Is this because the Shia were jihading at the same time? Either way it's loving dumb.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just took the Duchy of Armeniacon in a war. I don't hold the title, I can't create the title and I can't usurp the title. What gives?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just went through a lot of effort to jihad Jerusalem from England and when I win nothing happens. :waycool: Is this because the Shia were jihading at the same time? Either way it's loving dumb.

I am a freaking MORON. Turns out I was Jihading for England. All hail Caliph Ali Abbasid of England.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I dunno exactly why it happens, but the same thing happened to me in my Rome game. I took Tunis, Cairo, Damascus, and Jerusalem, and didn't get a Jihad notification for almost a decade. I think it had something to do with either the Caliph not being an adult or fighting a rebellion.

e: misunderstood what you meant

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I've made several posts in the past agitating for a Persian portrait pack, so now that it's here I feel like I've got to say: this might just unseat the Turks as my favorite set of portraits (man, whoever does those packs has been on point lately). Like the Turks originally, I think maybe the skin tone could use some tweaking, since every Persian person I know has more of a golden color, but then again I only know like 5 or 6 Persians so maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, it looks drat good. New units look good, too especially the light infantry.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

AdjectiveNoun posted:

So I just noticed a thread on the Paradox Forums about official renders of all the DLC units/portrait packs, and here's what Paradox put as the official render for Mediterranean Portraits.

Hmm...

Hopefully the faces are updated to the standards shown here in a patch, Paradox seem to have updated Turkic faces already, at least.

Yeah, what's up with that? The Turkish portraits also look significantly worse from the store pictures and the in-game result.

Store:

In-game:

How'd they end up all washed out like that? Is it just from compressing the portraits?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

I dunno exactly why it happens, but the same thing happened to me in my Rome game. I took Tunis, Cairo, Damascus, and Jerusalem, and didn't get a Jihad notification for almost a decade. I think it had something to do with either the Caliph not being an adult or fighting a rebellion.

I just tested this, in case anyone is interested. Jihads can only be triggered if the Caliph is an adult. If they would normally be triggered while he is a child, they are immediately triggered when he becomes and adult.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If I'm playing a republic, how do I seize a trade post from a rival patrician family? I've heard you can't do it as doge but after not winning an election I'm still unable. The current doge is, however, stealing my trade posts for his family. So I'm really confused as to how that system works.

e:

Beet posted:

I believe you also need to have fewer trade posts than your target.

Well that's not happening any time soon. Guess it's time to bribe and stab my way back into power.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 21, 2014

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

TTBF posted:

If I'm playing a republic, how do I seize a trade post from a rival patrician family? I've heard you can't do it as doge but after not winning an election I'm still unable. The current doge is, however, stealing my trade posts for his family. So I'm really confused as to how that system works.

I believe you also need to have fewer trade posts than your target.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Do cheives not work in the beta? I could have sworn they worked in CK2, but not EU4.

edit: I just tried removing the beta and going for an easy achievement I don't have yet (prestor john) and it didn't fire. Are achievements not working at all atm?

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 21, 2014

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Achievements are Ironman only.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Ironman's not working for anyone in EU4 at the moment because of some server bullshit or something: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?776783-Ironman-Mode-is-Grayed-Out

I wouldn't be at all surprised if CK2 was being hit too, which is stopping you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rynoto posted:

Achievements are Ironman only.

No poo poo, genius. Ironman is working in the beta, unlike EU4 where Ironman and achievements are both unusable if you are using the beta patch.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If I have armies from two different counties, how do I combine them into a single army - invasion of Norway failed because whilst the two armies I sent weren't individually big enough to beseige anywhere, but would have been if I'd been able to combine them.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Angrymog posted:

If I have armies from two different counties, how do I combine them into a single army - invasion of Norway failed because whilst the two armies I sent weren't individually big enough to beseige anywhere, but would have been if I'd been able to combine them.

Move them both to the same county and box over both of them. There should be a button showing two arrows pointing at each other; click on that button to merge the armies.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So having a lot of fun finally getting into this game after a few false starts, slowly uniting the Iberian Peninsula under Leon. That instructional LP in the OP is a godsend. I've been running into something weird during my wars though- every now and then one of my armies will get crushed by an enemy despite massively outnumbering them.

The fight will start normally with the enemy's numbers going down at a good clip, until suddenly enemy units stop dying altogether and my units start dying incredibly fast, until I'm defeated. It's happened a few times now, most recently when I sent an army of 21000 troops against a Holy Roman Empire army of a little under 10000. (For some goddamn reason they own like 1/4 of the peninsula despite France and Aquitaine being in the way, I think at some point they got a chunk of land through inheritance shenanigans and started expanding against the AI Castilians while I was busy with the caliphs.) We both had deaths at first, more on the HRE's side, until they got down to about 8000 troops, then no more HRE troops died and mine started dropping like flies, all the way down to about 7000, at which point I lost and my troops starting retreating.

What's going on here? Am I making some sort of error in how I'm organizing or working my troops, could it be a problem with the makeup of my army, or is it a bug? In case it's relevant, the fight was on one of my counties, unseiged with no attrition penalties on either side, and my side was being led by guys with 15/14 martial score.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Move them both to the same county and box over both of them. There should be a button showing two arrows pointing at each other; click on that button to merge the armies.

Thank you. The interface is pretty dense so I find it easy to miss things :(

Amusing/terrible/interesting things that's happened in this game so far - I started as Dublin.

1. Inherit Lennister because my dad died.
2. Realise that since every surrounding lord has sons, I'm going to need daughters. Arrange to have 41 y/o wife murdered so I can marry a lusty 16 year old. (I am a terrible person)
3. Murder my way through Ossary's line of succession. It takes less time to arrange the murder of babies than grownups. Little 4 year old countess and her Regeant don't seem to realise that they really should agree to marry my son. :(
4. William the Bastard either failed or never tried to conquer England. Gets ursurped from Normandy and moves to my court because of a marriage between one of his daughters and my sons.
5. William is better than me at everything and has the ambition to become King of Ireland. I am sending him to war as often as I can atm in the hope he'll die. Sadly he didn't get TB when it was raging through my court.

At one point I had the heir of Ossary in my dungeon, but he got released when he inherited, even though I didn't decide to let him out - is this normal?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Automated Posting posted:

So having a lot of fun finally getting into this game after a few false starts, slowly uniting the Iberian Peninsula under Leon. That instructional LP in the OP is a godsend. I've been running into something weird during my wars though- every now and then one of my armies will get crushed by an enemy despite massively outnumbering them.

The fight will start normally with the enemy's numbers going down at a good clip, until suddenly enemy units stop dying altogether and my units start dying incredibly fast, until I'm defeated. It's happened a few times now, most recently when I sent an army of 21000 troops against a Holy Roman Empire army of a little under 10000. (For some goddamn reason they own like 1/4 of the peninsula despite France and Aquitaine being in the way, I think at some point they got a chunk of land through inheritance shenanigans and started expanding against the AI Castilians while I was busy with the caliphs.) We both had deaths at first, more on the HRE's side, until they got down to about 8000 troops, then no more HRE troops died and mine started dropping like flies, all the way down to about 7000, at which point I lost and my troops starting retreating.

What's going on here? Am I making some sort of error in how I'm organizing or working my troops, could it be a problem with the makeup of my army, or is it a bug? In case it's relevant, the fight was on one of my counties, unseiged with no attrition penalties on either side, and my side was being led by guys with 15/14 martial score.

Check what troop types you have vs what you enemy is using, and what tactics each flank is using. If, for example, the HRE is fielding 10k heavy cavalry while you bring 20k light infantry things will go very badly for you. Or if your leader has terrible martial, is craven, or has a stutter etc. they can pick terrible tactics for their flank. Each flank has a losses per day number, if one is high that's likely where the problem is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Did the change from a fairly even fight to your guys getting slaughtered happen when the battle changed from the skirmish phase to the melee phase? Could be they had lots of a troop type that doesn't do much in skirmish but is brutal in melee, like heavy infantry.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I've been reading through the let's play as well and one thing I've never been able to master is claimants and matrilateral marriages in order to increase power through diplomatic subterfuge. Whenever I've offered those marriages they've always been rejected. I know that its drat near impossible to get a matrilateral marriage with heirs to the throne, but how the hell do you do it?

I recall once back when the game was first released I managed to mold my family tree in such a way that the duke of some small province in France became the King of Hungary. To this day I have no idea how I did it! :stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WMain00 posted:

I've been reading through the let's play as well and one thing I've never been able to master is claimants and matrilateral marriages in order to increase power through diplomatic subterfuge. Whenever I've offered those marriages they've always been rejected. I know that its drat near impossible to get a matrilateral marriage with heirs to the throne, but how the hell do you do it?

I recall once back when the game was first released I managed to mold my family tree in such a way that the duke of some small province in France became the King of Hungary. To this day I have no idea how I did it! :stare:

Try to get them invited over to your court somehow, then you can decide exactly how, and to whom, they're married.

Alternatively, ask for a matrilineal marriage to the third or fourth claimant to that title, then murder the other claimants.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Broken Cog posted:

Try to get them invited over to your court somehow, then you can decide exactly how, and to whom, they're married.

Alternatively, ask for a matrilineal marriage to the third or fourth claimant to that title, then murder the other claimants.

Yeah, the AI never accepts matrilineal marriages for their agnates. The best you can do is marry your daughters matrilinearly to the second or third claimant to the throne and then stab the ones who precede your new sons-in-law to the throne.

Do note that this only means that the future heir to said throne will be of your dynasty, which will make potential future allies, but they won't actually become part of your realm unless you're running elective or tanistry and get the new king of whatever elected as the heir to your titles as well.

One good way to do this is to breed claims into your dynasty, because when you press the claim of a dynasty member and the title being claimed is of a lower rank than yours, they'll become your vassal. This means that to get a kingdom into your realm through pressing a claim you have to be an emperor at least, because kings can't have vassal kings.

Also, if you're an emperor and the kingdom you're pressing a claim on is part of your de jure empire (i.e. pressing a claim on Wales as Emperor of Britannia) then the claimant will also become your vassal.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Had a weird bug today. I've been playing as the Karen Zoroastrians, and I've been having a few events trigger with just the code text. A vassal declared war on his duke for WAR-FOR-COUNTY-REVOCATION blah blah. No actual county names or anything, just code names it seems like. Didn't think anything of it because there were no wars that I could see. Then I was plotting to revoke the county of Bukhara from my own vassal. I fired the event and the guy refused and declared war. Except nothing happened, and some text in the important events menu about me being on the opposing side so the war event fired wrong. Don't recall exactly, but he declared war and nothing happened because we are enemies? Except now we aren't at war, so I can't attack him. And it's still showing the same plot, but I can't cancel it because it has fired and is still in motion.

Basically, something seems to be up with county revocation revolts on the latest beta.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, the AI never accepts matrilineal marriages for their agnates. The best you can do is marry your daughters matrilinearly to the second or third claimant to the throne and then stab the ones who precede your new sons-in-law to the throne.

Do note that this only means that the future heir to said throne will be of your dynasty, which will make potential future allies, but they won't actually become part of your realm unless you're running elective or tanistry and get the new king of whatever elected as the heir to your titles as well.

One good way to do this is to breed claims into your dynasty, because when you press the claim of a dynasty member and the title being claimed is of a lower rank than yours, they'll become your vassal. This means that to get a kingdom into your realm through pressing a claim you have to be an emperor at least, because kings can't have vassal kings.

Also, if you're an emperor and the kingdom you're pressing a claim on is part of your de jure empire (i.e. pressing a claim on Wales as Emperor of Britannia) then the claimant will also become your vassal.

Having your dynasty on another throne makes the AI accept wonky marriages they normally would not in a few generations. Like matrilinaeilly marrying an heir to your Queen or whatever, so it's not useful just for Tanistry/Elective.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Ratpick posted:

Pretty much this. It's basically animal husbandry. It's also worth looking at claimants to a title directly, rather than just looking at the children of the current holder: sometimes this way you find claimants from the previous dynasty and the like who might no longer be related to title holders, and are thus no problem to marry. Make sure if you do this to breed into your dynasty that your candidate has a Strong claim, as it's easy to miss.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

cryptoclastic posted:

Had a weird bug today. I've been playing as the Karen Zoroastrians, and I've been having a few events trigger with just the code text. A vassal declared war on his duke for WAR-FOR-COUNTY-REVOCATION blah blah. No actual county names or anything, just code names it seems like. Didn't think anything of it because there were no wars that I could see. Then I was plotting to revoke the county of Bukhara from my own vassal. I fired the event and the guy refused and declared war. Except nothing happened, and some text in the important events menu about me being on the opposing side so the war event fired wrong. Don't recall exactly, but he declared war and nothing happened because we are enemies? Except now we aren't at war, so I can't attack him. And it's still showing the same plot, but I can't cancel it because it has fired and is still in motion.

Basically, something seems to be up with county revocation revolts on the latest beta.

Yup, already know about this, but thanks for reporting it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Holy cow, the latest beta patch is incredibly slow. Not only does the monthly (seriously, why the hell is it monthly?) autosave take about 10 seconds, the game moves at a snail's pace even on the fastest speed.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Holy cow, the latest beta patch is incredibly slow. Not only does the monthly (seriously, why the hell is it monthly?) autosave take about 10 seconds, the game moves at a snail's pace even on the fastest speed.

It was working as well as could be hoped for me for a little bit tonight, and then all of a sudden it went to molasses like you are reporting. At speed 4, it takes about 15 seconds per day on my laptop.

Also Darkrenown, I sometimes get a bug where the game ends up launching (in borderless windowed mode) entirely within the frame of the new launcher screen. So I have a miniature sized game in a tiny little window. Quitting and restarting will fix it when this happens, and it only happens sometimes.

My message settings keep getting wiped too, but I think that's just from the various beta builds reverting them to default.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Well there's a finite amount of development time! And some things (like making ironman playable) just aren't that high a priority.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah, it's moving like molasses for me too. I think having armies raised makes it worse, but that might just be me.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

McGavin posted:

Yeah, it's moving like molasses for me too. I think having armies raised makes it worse, but that might just be me.

Nope. Several people on the forums are reporting this, too.

Averrences
May 3, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I've made several posts in the past agitating for a Persian portrait pack, so now that it's here I feel like I've got to say: this might just unseat the Turks as my favorite set of portraits (man, whoever does those packs has been on point lately). Like the Turks originally, I think maybe the skin tone could use some tweaking, since every Persian person I know has more of a golden color, but then again I only know like 5 or 6 Persians so maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, it looks drat good. New units look good, too especially the light infantry.

Ok several people have mentioned this, but... what the hell? Persian portrait packs? I've scoured the DLCs and I can't find it anywhere, is there really a pack out?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Averrences posted:

Ok several people have mentioned this, but... what the hell? Persian portrait packs? I've scoured the DLCs and I can't find it anywhere, is there really a pack out?

Yep, a Persian portrait pack and a unit one. They're not in the DLC list on Steam yet for some reason, but the search function brings them up.

Topic of Persians, in my game Vandad has worked his way up to Brilliant Strategiest, is both Brave and Patient, has acquired Unyielding and Inspiring Leader, and has a total of 20 Martial. It's too bad he's 60 and thus could die any day now, because he's a veritable god of war, with an 80% bonus to morale defense, 60% to regular defense, and 20% to leading the center.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 21, 2014

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Yep, a Persian portrait pack and a unit one. They're not in the DLC list on Steam yet for some reason, but the search function brings them up.

Ah, brilliant - thought that was weird. thanks!

Now I'm gonna add my voice to the chorus of saying how amazing they look :stare:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Make sure you have all three flanks and that your flank sizes are well balanced. Usually the game does a decent job of that, but depending on the sizes of your individual stacks and the way you combine them, sometimes it fucks up and makes one flank significantly bigger or smaller than the rest or leaves one flank empty. If one of your flanks is empty or becomes empty or retreats, the enemy will get huge bonuses against the remaining flanks, leading to a rapid turning of the tables even if the numbers are still fairly even.

Also, watch terrain, it matters a lot. If your army has to cross a river to attack, it takes significant penalties, and if the defenders are on mountains or certain other terrain types then they get big bonuses.

It could be unit type stuff, but that almost never is enough of a factor to matter in levies vs levies battles. It's something to watch in mercs, retinues, and certain event troops (Mongols, mostly) but levy makeup is too scattered for any kind of troop-type advantage to really come out.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Ray and Shirley posted:

Nope. Several people on the forums are reporting this, too.

Confirming it has been rather sluggish performance with the beta patch, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Roland Jones posted:

Topic of Persians, in my game Vandad has worked his way up to Brilliant Strategiest, is both Brave and Patient, has acquired Unyielding and Inspiring Leader, and has a total of 20 Martial. It's too bad he's 60 and thus could die any day now, because he's a veritable god of war, with an 80% bonus to morale defense, 60% to regular defense, and 20% to leading the center.

Better than getting knocked on the head like in our MP game.

• Locked thread