Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

First Bass posted:

I finally caved for a playset of NM/M Morningtide Mutavaults for 100 bux (I got them from a goon); are they worth keeping now while I want to compete in FNMs and Game Day, and then getting rid of them before they roll out of Standard? Or keep them as I cannibalize the rest of Mono Blue Devotion to make Modern Merfolk? Is there even a remote chance they make it into M15?

I know they plan sets years in advance, but apparently the developers were really unprepared for its impact in standard. Aaron Foresythe even said in an interview that reprinting it was a mistake when asked what cards in Standard were more powerful than he thought they would be. It may be in M15, since they plan sets so long in advance that they kind of can't plan around the current metagame, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Based on how other reprints seem to go, I'd say that Morningtide Mutavaults will hold value more than the M14 ones will. I very highly doubt they'll be reprinted again soon and almost certainly not in M15. Whether you trade them or use them in Merfolk is really up to you.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think R&D mostly learned their lesson with reprinting format-defining cards from the titans. If they didn't expect Mutavault to be on that level, though... who can say.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Today's Magic gossip news: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?28079-Savage-Crime-Against-a-FLGS&p=813047...for

TLDR: Noted SCG grinder & L1 judge arrested for burglary at the LGS he used to work for.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Today's Magic gossip news: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?28079-Savage-Crime-Against-a-FLGS&p=813047...for

TLDR: Noted SCG grinder & L1 judge arrested for burglary at the LGS he used to work for.

I saw this pop up in my Facebook feed earlier this morning. A frequent SCG alterist was involved, too, though she got off with a lighter crime apparently.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Isn't Camden Adkins the one who cosplays Jace while wearing those goofy sunglasses at SCG opens? I think I've seen him on stream before.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Isn't Camden Adkins the one who cosplays Jace while wearing those goofy sunglasses at SCG opens? I think I've seen him on stream before.

Apparently this is also the case.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Goofy sunglasses? He has to wear them because he's a vampire. Check your living privilege.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I thought that was David McDarby? Could there be more than one SCG Jace cosplayer? I'm not sure that's a world I want to live in.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

A rare land that works only in the draft / cube? Why not! Pretty powerful though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm guessing it's supposed to look like the portico there is so high that the clouds are drifting through it, but it ends up just looking to me like there's a really smoky fire inside.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Unexpected Potential + Chromanticore. :frogdowns:

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

I just looked at the Vintage Masters card image gallery to see if they snuck any new cards in and noticed that City in a Bottle is a mythic rare. :catstare:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Music For Cats posted:

I just looked at the Vintage Masters card image gallery to see if they snuck any new cards in and noticed that City in a Bottle is a mythic rare. :catstare:

They still haven't updated the duals. I want to see what rarity they're going to be :argh:

That starburst hyper-rarity symbol on Power is kind of neat, though

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
That conspiracy is nice if you get it early and then can keep an eye out for a bomb to splash with it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really hope ultra-super-duper-double-mythic-rarity doesn't become a regular thing. Don't other CCGs like yugioh do that?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Music For Cats posted:

Makes sense to me. It's a narrow, powerful, unique effect that isn't great for limited. Are you suggesting it should be just a regular rare?

Entropic posted:

I really hope ultra-super-duper-double-mythic-rarity doesn't become a regular thing. Don't other CCGs like yugioh do that?

Considering it's online and just for the Power 9, I don't see this setting much of a precedent for other cards. As mentioned, it's actually not that big of a deal in a lot of ways since you only need one of each compared to the 4-of you need for most playsets.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

It's a thing for the 9 cards that actually live up to it.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Entropic posted:

I really doubt it's going to be a thing outside of Power 9-esque in "Greatest Hits" reprint formats. Especially considering it took the Power 9 to get them to the ultra-rarity level.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, I'm not actually terribly worried.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's a thing for the 9 cards that actually live up to it.

Well, the 8 that live up to it and Timetwister.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Entropic posted:

Yu-Gi-OH! goes way beyond that:

Common
Rare
Super Rare
Ultra Rare
Ultimate Rare
Secret Rare
Secret Ultra Rare
Ghost Rare
Dual Terminal Ultra Secret Rare
Dual Terminal Ultra Parallel Rare

And then they do cards like Nalanthi Dragon and Splendid Genesis where the only way to get them is to win/place at major events, give them utterly busted powers but then make them tournament legal.

There are Yu-Gi-OH! cards with a print run of 3 that are legal in tournaments that are not just 1996 World Champion-style cards.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

whydirt posted:

Makes sense to me. It's a narrow, powerful, unique effect that isn't great for limited. Are you suggesting it should be just a regular rare?

I would certainly prefer it as a rare, the art is nice and I'd like to see it in more booster packs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Treasonous Ogre 3R
Creature - Ogre Shaman (U)
Dethrone
Pay 3 Life: Add R to your mana pool.
2/3

Will probably test both of these in my peasant cube.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Seems neat, hope it's real.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Conspiracy seems really cool but it seems like it would be too complicated to ever draft in a store or with strangers. It seems like it could get confusing with all of those cards that flip up or do weird things.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

uggy posted:

Conspiracy seems really cool but it seems like it would be too complicated to ever draft in a store or with strangers. It seems like it could get confusing with all of those cards that flip up or do weird things.

Yep seems like a judge's worst nightmare. Our store is doing a whole weekend of drafts when it comes out so I'll probably check out first hand the ridiculous clusterfuck that is sure to ensue.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

Dank Fargo, Foil Dick Flamingo.

I AM DRAFTING THIS FACE UP AND ACQUIRING EVERYTHING IN THIS PACK.

DOUBLE FINNEGAN WHOOP WHOOOOP! :getin:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

whydirt posted:

I get what this is supposed to do, but man that wording is confusing.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Count Bleck posted:

Reminds me vaguely of a huge screaming match I got in last year on 4chan of all places about the theoretical $1000 Goyf/Foil Goyf pack coming in in MM drafting.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I would like to draft Journey into Nyx pack and acquisition a god pack. Worldknit, let's do this poo poo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

neetengie posted:

Seems neat, hope it's real.

This looks like it'd be really fun with Sneak Attack.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Everblight posted:

Common
Rare
Super Rare
Ultra Rare
Ultimate Rare
Secret Rare
Secret Ultra Rare
Ghost Rare

And then they do cards like Nalanthi Dragon and Splendid Genesis where the only way to get them is to win/place at major events, give them utterly busted powers but then make them tournament legal.

There are Yu-Gi-OH! cards with a print run of 3 that are legal in tournaments that are not just 1996 World Champion-style cards.

How big are the rare sheets that they can have all those different rarities? With 9 different kinds of rare, each regular rare would have to be on the sheet at least 9 times for the rarities to be distinct.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Noone who knows him is surprised. He played at a lot of places in the atlanta area and was a notorious cheater. Also claims to have 'invented shardless bug and UR delver'. And wore sunglasses inside all the time. Very few people were actually sad, we just feel bad for the store. The one he stole from is one of the smaller more struggling ones nearby.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

L0cke17 posted:

Noone who knows him is surprised. He played at a lot of places in the atlanta area and was a notorious cheater. Also claims to have 'invented shardless bug and UR delver'. And wore sunglasses inside all the time. Very few people were actually sad, we just feel bad for the store. The one he stole from is one of the smaller more struggling ones nearby.

In every community, there is scumbags.

It just so happens that we seem to have a larger population of them, unfortunately.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Everblight posted:

Common
Rare
Super Rare
Ultra Rare
Ultimate Rare
Secret Rare
Secret Ultra Rare
Ghost Rare

Is this for real or a fuckin joke?

Anyway Conspiracy looks unbelievably fun and complicated to draft. I can't wait. I don't know how much fun the actual games will be but drafting looks crazy as gently caress and it seems almost impossible to evaluate some of these effects. Every other card is something that's pretty much never been done before. I think this is as close as we'll get to another Un-set.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lets Pickle posted:

Is this for real or a fuckin joke?

He's completely serious.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If anything he was understating how many rarities there are.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 21, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dr. Stab posted:

How big are the rare sheets that they can have all those different rarities? With 9 different kinds of rare, each regular rare would have to be on the sheet at least 9 times for the rarities to be distinct.
I'm more surprised that even with all that time, they still haven't been able to match the relatively recent pokemon foils with the feels. Half the YGO rares above super rares looked too dark or had foil patterns that made the art hard to see. I trade decent magic cards (~$20) for the pokemon feely foils to use as tokens and they feel like contour maps and look really cool. I wish magic would jump on the contoured foil route but I bet we'd have grognards from this very thread explaining why that wouldn't be the best idea ever.

e: Actually, considering the full art contoured foils look good on pokemon cards because they only feature one central character, they should only be used for planeswalkers. But imagine how much nicer Dark Fayder will be. :allears:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 21, 2014

• Locked thread