Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

junan_paalla posted:

Goddamn, another two albums coming up already, if devin takes good care of himself we might have someone whose total musical output compares to zappa's.

I reckon Buckethead has this covered already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

junan_paalla posted:

Goddamn, another two albums coming up already, if devin takes good care of himself we might have someone whose total musical output compares to zappa's.

Last time I saw him he was in good shape and he's been clean for awhile so I imagine he's not exactly ripe for a health crisis.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Holy christ that album is going to rock. Hopefully it'll ilicit some heavier DTP stuff because heavy DTP stuff slays.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Anneke is confirmed to be back for the DTP parts :allears:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Kaboobi posted:

*Slides thousands of charts calculating album of the year 2014 off the desk*

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Not a whole lot there, but the Casualties website is up.

http://www.casualtiesofcool.com/

He has good web designers.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

henpod posted:

Not a whole lot there, but the Casualties website is up.

http://www.casualtiesofcool.com/

He has good web designers.

The interview is loving unreadable in that format.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

Holy christ that album is going to rock. Hopefully it'll ilicit some heavier DTP stuff because heavy DTP stuff slays.

Amen to that. I'm not that big a fan of DT's mellower stuff to be honest, but god drat Ziltoid and Deconstruction own so loving hard.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Amen to that. I'm not that big a fan of DT's mellower stuff to be honest, but god drat Ziltoid and Deconstruction own so loving hard.

Totally agree with you here. I was super sceptical about the latest DTP album and didn't really like it too much , Deconstruction (and Ghost) to me really felt like a total culmination of the whole project.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Received my "Devin sings you a birthday song reward" today! It's great but now I gotta wait til january before I can let my girlfriend have it... The wait is gonna kill me

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Your day just got infinitely better:

https://soundcloud.com/segritz/supercrush-devin-townsend#t=2:53

It's like a chorus of heavenly bees...

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 30, 2014

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
Happy Birthday Devy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdNT_o5gXBI

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
He's a pretty funny dude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoIlqnnUYc

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I've had an mp3 copy of this video on my phone for over a year, because I friggin' cream over that Deconstruction jam.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Anyone who was sleeping on pledging like me, time is almost up: 14 hrs to go!

I ended up pledging for the 2CD (partly because I forgot about the vinyl and partly because the vinyl is really expensive).

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/casualties-of-cool?utm_campaign=project8813&utm_medium=project_badge

e: Album is available to download for pledgers right now! Second disc available next week.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 14, 2014

Fafenefenoiby
Aug 18, 2005

LEPROSY
Giving it a first listen now and just finished Flight. 3 songs in and this is already the best thing I've ever heard.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah this album is fantastic. It's got a really interesting mix of very traditional sounds with that ethereal Devy reverb wash going on. Very cool stuff.

Edit: My god, Moon/Pier is so good. Love that cool subdivision thing in Pier.

Edit again: Ugh, it just keeps getting better. Only halfway through, and I have to leave now, but this is probably up there with my favorites of his work. Amazing.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 14, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I'm at work right now and could download and listen to the tracks...or maybe I will wait for when i'm on my commute for when I can close my eyes and pay more attention.

So it's really good?

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Devin Townsend is putting out a book. "This book is part manual and part diary. It’s a travelogue, a songbook, a celebration, elucidation and condemnation; it’s my story, told by me, for you."

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I like this album very much. It is essentially a more mellow Ki.

However, I am happy this is out of the way so he can finish Z2.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Gave it a first listen today and really liked it. Can't wait for the DTP end of Z2 though.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
"Hey, noted Progressive Metal screamer Devin Townsend! How about making a bluesy-country-folk album this time?"
"Ok!"

*Makes loving awesome bluesy-country-folk album that owns*

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'll probably give the country album a try eventually, but I misread something earlier and thought that Z2 was out there now and when it wasn't I was so let down. I feel like I can't even listen to this thing he just released, because right now I'll just feel so let down that it isn't Z2. Even if it's good, I'll be expecting something else.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Fenrir posted:

I'll probably give the country album a try eventually

Give it a try now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4HiUky9fE

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Literally my only complaint about this album is that "Pure" feels really tacked on. It is really aimless and ambient, whereas even the noodliest bits of the record are very directed and purposeful. I can't tell if Devin's tweets are the reason I think it's so out of place - he posted one saying something like "Oh dear, I've realised that Casualties doesn't finish quite right, it needs something on the end." My guess is that he felt the Bridge was too bombastic as a closer, and just asked for four minutes of flute noodling to tack on the end.

But really, that's it. Other than that, I really like this album. I think it's much, much better than Ki, which is what it's closest to. And I don't even like country or blues.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I just listened to it. It's GhostKi and it's really nice!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't huge on Ghost overall but I'm really digging this so far. That twist of Ki in there makes it work so much better.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Lol, yeah, I suppose it's closer to Ghost than to Ki.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm enjoying it a lot, probably a little more than Ghost. I only listen to a few tracks for it anymore and I think, in part, is how repetitive the flute feels (going with what Those On My Left said, too). I loved most of Ki but also only listen to a few songs from it still. So, CoC seems a better mix of the Ki/Ghost parts I prefer.

What I do really like about it, as usual for Dev's stuff, is the ambiance and atmosphere he's so good at creating. It sounds really great with a lot of little things adding to it. It sets it apart from works out there of folky/bluesy guy/girl singing styles.

I didn't see it posted, but his youtube channel has a few samples from Z2 I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTANnepUI5U

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I really like Pure as an ending, but then I really loved Ghost.

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

I'm really jealous of all of the people that got to pledge. I tried like 6 times and was declined by pledgemusic each time (even through paypal). Finally on the last day I tried again with 3 hours left to go and once again, I was declined. But this time my card also got flagged for fraud! Yay fun surprises!

I really wanted that vinyl and guitar strap :(

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Casualties of Cool album is up on Spotify. Oh man, this is amazing. Devin can just do anything he wants and I will throw money at him.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I had no idea he had the guy from Shining on one of the tracks, awesome.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Listening to Casualties now.. Ki used to be my hangover music, this will probably replace it. Devy can do no wrong

e: during Deathscope he must have went "heh, let's see how weird we can get here"

Varg fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 19, 2014

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not sold on it yet.

For me, it's pretty drat repetitive. Also, I don't think the multi-layered vocals Devy uses fit the feel of the songs. I think they're a bit too much for songs that are trying to be really simple.

It's performed well and you can feel that Devy has got the album to be exactly what he wanted. So it's not a bad album, but it needs to grow on me.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm not sold on it yet.
Me either. I think Flight, Forgive Me and The Bridge are pure gold, but the rest of it have to grow on me a bit.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kaboobi posted:

Having finally gotten Epicloud and listened to it multiple times, Hold On chokes me up every time and it's just because Devin is awesome and Anneke's voice is absolute magic.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Nostratic posted:

Having finally gotten Epicloud and listened to it multiple times, Hold On chokes me up every time and it's just because Devin is awesome and Anneke's voice is absolute magic.

Yes. It is easily the best song on that album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Those On My Left posted:

Yes. It is easily the best song on that album.

Agreed. The trio of Where we Belong, Save Our Now and Kingdom is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Throw in Divine for a little chill time. Made me go give my son and wife a hug.

And I'm assuming you guys have seen this? One of the EMG videos but I didn't see it linked. And it slays me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdNT_o5gXBI

• Locked thread