Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would never rallycross a new car. It beats the hell out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I'm about to buy a 2003 outback, 4 cylinder, 2.5L engine. Can a timing belt replacement be done by aligning everything off of TDC, or will I need a timing light?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There are marks on the belt, crank, and cam pulleys. You do not use TDC (the arrow on the crank pulley) or a timing light.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A picture of my car in last week's RallyX in Vermont. My best run happened when I had to replace a debeaded tire with a summer radial

I guess I need to dial it back a bit.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Some oval office threw a rock at my car tonight and shattered the rear windshield. According to the cops they have had a lot of reports of it happening in that exact spot.

For fucks sake I've had it like 2 weeks.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Some oval office threw a rock at my car tonight and shattered the rear windshield. According to the cops they have had a lot of reports of it happening in that exact spot.

For fucks sake I've had it like 2 weeks.

Wow, that blows. Do you have glass coverage on your insurance?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BoyBlunder posted:

Wow, that blows. Do you have glass coverage on your insurance?

I don't know. I have comprehensive but not paid for, I just called the insurance company my mum used to work for and got insurance with them. They do a 14 day free thing that hasn't expired yet (I didn't ring up until last week), and they send you a bill at the end of that which you either pay to continue cover or let lapse. I got that so I was covered while I shopped around for the best deal.

I don't know if the cost to fix it will be more or less than the excess, and I don't know if I'll have to pay the insurance company or not for the policy. I don't want to go with that company, they are expensive as gently caress and won't cover mods without making it a shitton more expensive. I still don't know how it happened, I was doing 70kmh(44mph) at the time. It would have had to be a slingshot, I really doubt it was thrown.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 16, 2014

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
2005 blobeye, is the antenna still on the rear windshield? I drove home with the radio on last night so I dont think it is, but I need to know to replace it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Any suggestions for a used TD04 turbo outside of the usual places? Doesn't seem to be a huge supply of them like there was a few years ago.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

LordOfThePants posted:

Any suggestions for a used TD04 turbo outside of the usual places? Doesn't seem to be a huge supply of them like there was a few years ago.

Unfortunately I don't have any useful advice but I was just curious why you're sticking with the TD04? I'm still with the TD04 on my 06 but i'm curious if there are any other turbos one could use with the stock injectors and fuel pump that are any better.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Hollis Brown posted:

Unfortunately I don't have any useful advice but I was just curious why you're sticking with the TD04? I'm still with the TD04 on my 06 but i'm curious if there are any other turbos one could use with the stock injectors and fuel pump that are any better.

In about a week my Forester is going from "fun daily driver" to "reliable transportation" as I'm taking delivery of a considerably higher performance car that I will drive for half of the year. The Forester will be for winter driving and for driving to the airport.

So not really trying to get more performance out of the Forester. From what I've read, most larger turbos require switching to a larger intercooler.

I suspect my turbo is failing and just want to swap it out for something with lower miles. This will be turbo #3 for this car, I have no idea why I'm killing them. I have no banjo bolt oil filters and I change my oil every 3000 miles.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

jamal posted:

There are marks on the belt, crank, and cam pulleys. You do not use TDC (the arrow on the crank pulley) or a timing light.

Awesome, even easier. And what's the part number for the MLS gasket on a 2003 Outback?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
11044AA642

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Thanks!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I know America and Australia have very different pricing but what would be a fair price for the windshield in America? It's Saturday so a lot of places are closed but I was quoted 618 from one place without labour for an antennaless windshield (the wrong one) which they instantly lowered to 525 when I said no. Another company said 283 installed + 35-90 if they can't reuse the rubbers, the guy on the phone wasn't sure.

Subaru said 1500.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
You're looking at around $500 for OEM. If you have upsidedown junkyards over there, you might have some luck, if AU's anything like I imagine it is.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So my 2001 Forester Automatic is making strange noises when I shift from Park to Drive. Or from Drive to reverse. It's one clunk, and that's it. Then it drives pretty normal. Any ideas?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tossed my ej251 into the back of my jeep to start doing the HGs. Get to torquing the last bolt in sequence to 51ftlbs and....it spins. I was too disgusted to check to see if it was the bolt or block that failed, so i just closed the tailgate and hatch and went inside.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I am changing the pads and rotors on my '07 WRX and one piston on each wheel absolutely will not compress. I've used a C clamp, penetrating oil, bled the brakes a little, I have no idea what else to do.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Fifty Three posted:

I am changing the pads and rotors on my '07 WRX and one piston on each wheel absolutely will not compress. I've used a C clamp, penetrating oil, bled the brakes a little, I have no idea what else to do.

Get some reman calipers? Sounds like they are seized up

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe it needs to be rotated as it's pressed in. You can rent the proper kits from a lot of parts stores.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I've gotten the P0021 code a couple of times in the last month on my 2005 Forester XT. The first time, I changed the oil (was within 500 miles of needing it anyway) and cleaned the drivers side oil control valve solenoid. No codes for 1500 miles but it definitely felt like the car would occasionally be running rough.

Most recently, it's getting worse. Threw the code again, this time after shaking pretty strongly at idle. RPMs were steady, but the whole car was shaking like the engine was out of balance. Cleaned the solenoid valve again, and cleared the code. Drove around some more and it threw the code again, exactly as before. After some time, it seemed to clear itself up and didn't act up the rest of the day. Got home and had the P0021 code set as well as pending misfire codes on cylinder 1 and 4.
After the first code, I sent an oil sample to Blackstone who found only a slightly higher amount of fuel in the oil compared to normal. Everything else looked fine.

From what I've read, this is one of two things.

1) The oil control solenoid is bad and in need of replacement
2) Turbo has poo poo itself and is sending metal throughout my engine, soon to grenade it.

Generally what I've read is that it's usually #2. I have no banjo bolt screens, so it's unlikely that's what killed the turbo. Guys replace those valves and later on something more catastrophic happens.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to trade it in on something else. I just finished swapping everything back to stock (I was at Stage 2 with a catted downpipe and an AP tune). Couldn't really inspect the turbo with the downpipe off, although it spins freely and doesn't appear to have shaft play. Seemed to boost OK when I was datalogging a few weeks ago.

Before I totally throw in the towel, wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts of what else to try? I don't want to throw a ton of money at this right now unless it will fix it. My big fear is I drop a few hundred bucks on parts and then blow the engine a couple months down the road.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I was looking at getting an aem intake for my 2014, and I found one locally used. The guy says he ran it for 10k miles on his STI and took it off because he was trading it in and put it back to stock. It comes with the inlet sock as well, and I could get it for around half the price a new one would be. Should I do it, or bite the bullet and get a new one?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Thorpe posted:

I was looking at getting an aem intake for my 2014, and I found one locally used. The guy says he ran it for 10k miles on his STI and took it off because he was trading it in and put it back to stock. It comes with the inlet sock as well, and I could get it for around half the price a new one would be. Should I do it, or bite the bullet and get a new one?

Buying used intakes isn't really a bad idea. However on that year you will need a tune for it.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
They aren't expensive to begin with, so take a look at the condition for any flaws before biting down. What other parts do you have on the vehicle?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Thorpe posted:

I've done a few things to my car in the past week and would like to catalog them here, mostly for shits and giggles. Also because forums like NASIOC scare me.

First thing was I switched out the stock radio for the premium forester one with 4.5" LCD screen. This does improve sound quality somewhat, it's still no audiophile system but I feel like it performs at a very adequate level for a stock radio, and I don't see myself changing anything audio wise from here on out.

It's awesome to have all the song information available to me. No rewiring necessary, all steering wheel controls and bluetooth all work as stock. Plus it looks pretty nice.

you can load a screensaver off of a USB stick, I just found a subaru logo on google and cropped it. It's nice to have that while driving at night.

Is the sound quality of calls improved at all?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Ezrem posted:

Is the sound quality of calls improved at all?

My side of things do sound a bit better, but I do get complaints that I'm hard to hear on the other end unless I'm shouting pretty loud. And that's with stock exhaust and windows up. So, I'd rare it usable but not ideal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thorpe posted:

My side of things do sound a bit better, but I do get complaints that I'm hard to hear on the other end unless I'm shouting pretty loud. And that's with stock exhaust and windows up. So, I'd rare it usable but not ideal.

Even chances it's the mic killing you there; I'm not sure any car has good mic hardware and/or placement from the factory.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like my friend is managing to snag one of the last remaining 5 door new WRX's in the country. His 2011 was totaled this weekend by a deer and he was freaking out because of the lack of hatch for 2015. His dealer managed to find a brand new 2014 5 door of even the same color and trim level as his old one. I know I did a search for a 500 mile radius and wasn't able to find one earlier today.

He wasn't even sure what he would have gotten otherwise since the current model WRX is out of the running being sedan only and lacking the hard-points for the crossbars.

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!
Finally picked up my 2015 WRX today, replacing my 2011 which was totalled back in March.

Then it started to hail.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

one of the last remaining 5 door new WRX's in the country.
This is incredibly :smith:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I'm looking at buying a used Impreza hatchback soon... first post in the thread indicates that I should look for 2010 or newer ones to avoid the headgasket issues. I'd be looking for a five speed otherwise. Anything else interesting to know about these cars aside from the normal stuff?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
At first glance I really like the new front end which means something is wrong with Subaru.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

8ender posted:

At first glance I really like the new front end which means something is wrong with Subaru.

Nah, it's got kind of a FAS look to it, all's well. :v:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Fifty Three posted:

This is incredibly :smith:

We looked at BRZs for my wife when we were shopping her a new car a few weeks back. The Subaru dealership had a 2012 WRX 5-door on the lot with 22k miles and they were asking 27k for the thing. Not sure if it's due to the increasing scarcity or if it was just overpriced for the sake of being overpriced.

They also had a white 2015 STi on display, and I have to say the new front-end has grown on me. Don't care for the new wheels though.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Linux Nazi posted:

They also had a white 2015 STi on display, and I have to say the new front-end has grown on me. Don't care for the new wheels though.

Agree about the front end and wheels. rear end end is underwhelming too - it just looks so boring.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
I am currently contemplating replacing my oem HU in my 2013 wrx sedan. Im trying to find some install/compatability info but nasioc is not cooperating with my cell atm. Heres what Im trying figure out:

Is there a worthwile difference in only replacing the headunit?

What adapters will I need aside from the ascw-1 for the steering wheel controls? (Mostly concerned with retaining bluetooth use for calls/streaming)

Any suggestions on a good unit that doesnt cost $rape? Preferrably a double din

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe

TheFargate posted:

I am currently contemplating replacing my oem HU in my 2013 wrx sedan. Im trying to find some install/compatability info but nasioc is not cooperating with my cell atm. Heres what Im trying figure out:

Is there a worthwile difference in only replacing the headunit?

What adapters will I need aside from the ascw-1 for the steering wheel controls? (Mostly concerned with retaining bluetooth use for calls/streaming)

Any suggestions on a good unit that doesnt cost $rape? Preferrably a double din

I have this Alpine ICS-X7HD in my 2014 STi, and without changing the speakers yet the sound is already infinitely better on both music and podcasts. I purchased the required harness for the steering wheel controls, and everything works perfectly. The head unit was $599 US.

edit:
Here's a (bad) picture of it in dash at night.

whoisjasonk fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 21, 2014

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Whats the best way to remove the crank pully on a DOHC engine? Read a couple instances where the P0021 code I am getting could be caused by the timing belt skipping a tooth on one of the pulleys so I want to check it before I completely give up on the car.

I have the 4EAT transmission so I can't put it in fifth and have someone stand on the brake,which seems to be the standard advice online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
What would be the best bang for my buck in terms of front rotors and pads for an 03 WRX. I'd also be looking at rear pads. The rear rotors are new brembo blanks, but the pads at all corners and the front rotors are pretty close to toast, and it's already up on jack stands to install konis. It'd be on a commuter that would see some spirited use, but no rally/autox.