Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't need to replay all of Wu when doubling back to get stars and get myself on the hypothetical train right? I can fast forward and rewind around with Select Stage and with wild abandon right?

Just doubled back to save Sun Jian's arrow prone rear end, and I already saved Sun Ce the first go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You're fine.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Unlucky7 posted:

There was a nice little DW7 callback in the Wei hypothetical ending that I liked. Dian Wei helping Xu Zhu till the fields :unsmith:

I was thinking of doing the Wu hypothetical, however...I am thinking I should do the Shu hypothetical now. I have a feeling that it is going to be PAIN.
That sounds like the same thing happened in 4 or 5.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Scalding Coffee posted:

That sounds like the same thing happened in 4 or 5.

Oh. Well I didn't play 4 and 5, and I always had a soft spot for Dian Wei.

He was the character I beat the first game (DW2) with. Had no idea who he was or what was going on but he had an Ax so it was :krad:

Edit: I think this was mentioned a few pages ago, but what is the recommended level to start on hard mode?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 21, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Out of all the people to drastically change, why did Yuan Shuo go from generic proud guy to Zhang He's brother?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I rather like Yuan Shao's portrayal as a useless fop. In context of the fictional story that's really what he comes off as to me, though perhaps not quite as effete as he is in DW8.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So, making death weapons. What do you prefer as combinations?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Bloodly posted:

According to Gamefaqs (and it seems to work out well enough):

quote:

What are the best attributes?

Well, now that you know how to build your weapon of choice, you might be wondering what attributes you should put on your weapon.

For a Chaos run, I recommend choosing 6 attributes from the following:

Cyclone, Slash, Thunder, Induction, Explosive, Flash, Flurry, Velocity, Thorns, Jubilation

Personally, my default setup is [Cyclone, Slash, Induction, Explosive, Thorns, Jubilation]. However, I may make changes depending on the weapon's moveset. For example, I'll use Velocity on weapons with really slow attacks (Great Sword, Crossbow, Spinner, Club, etc.) and remove Thorns. Velocity is also great for weapons where the best attack comes late (C5 or C6) because it provides quicker access and less chances of interruption. If I'm using a Dive-type weapon, then I can replace Thorns with something else.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide what you want. The "right" attributes are usually based on your playstyle, which differs from person to person. For an "optimized" playstyle, the correct set of attributes is dependent on the weapon's moveset. It's always better to get feedback from an entire community when it comes to this topic, so ask away on the forums.
A few attributes in that list apparently do % damage based on the the max health of the enemy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cyclone and Velocity are the most important ones, followed by Slash. The rest can be whatever you like though Induction is a whole mess of damage.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

nutranurse posted:

I rather like Yuan Shao's portrayal as a useless fop. In context of the fictional story that's really what he comes off as to me, though perhaps not quite as effete as he is in DW8.
It's an exaggeration of the traditional folklore where he's beneficiary of the Yuan clan's bountiful years but fatally lacking in initiative and decisiveness, and had a bad habit of listening to the 'wrong' advisors, i.e. first listening to an advisor's bad tactical call against Zhang He and his cohort Gao Lan after Wuchao's burning, then believing the mistaken advisor who scapegoats them as traitors to escape culpability, only for Zhang He and Gao Lan to as a result defect for real! (Although Xiahou Dun was supicious of the defection, Cao Cao was confident: "I will meet them generously and win them over, even if they have treachery in their hearts.")

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I'm kind of confused by the OP: it mentions playing DW7 as a starting point, but is there any reason since DW8 is out now? Like is there a totally different kind of story mode between the 2 games? I only got a 360 for dw7 but I think my PC should be able to run DW8.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

polish sausage posted:

I'm kind of confused by the OP: it mentions playing DW7 as a starting point, but is there any reason since DW8 is out now? Like is there a totally different kind of story mode between the 2 games? I only got a 360 for dw7 but I think my PC should be able to run DW8.

The story mode in DW7 is arguably better than DW8's. DW8 does have new characters and some changes to how the story mode works to make the gameplay side better, but the way the story is told/presented in 7 is superior. So, it's up to you, really. I'd get both, honestly (and I have done, but then I have all of the DW games sans 5 from 3 onward).

E: Also, I prefer the Conquest mode in DW7 much more than the Ambition mode in DW8. DW8XL's addition to Ambition mode has made it a bit better, but I still prefer DW7's. Now, if DW8's Ambition mode was merged with DW7's that'd be pretty cool.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

PureRok posted:

The story mode in DW7 is arguably better than DW8's. DW8 does have new characters and some changes to how the story mode works to make the gameplay side better, but the way the story is told/presented in 7 is superior. So, it's up to you, really. I'd get both, honestly (and I have done, but then I have all of the DW games sans 5 from 3 onward).

E: Also, I prefer the Conquest mode in DW7 much more than the Ambition mode in DW8. DW8XL's addition to Ambition mode has made it a bit better, but I still prefer DW7's. Now, if DW8's Ambition mode was merged with DW7's that'd be pretty cool.

Ok, sounds good! DW7 is cheaper at the moment anyway, I would like to be more familiar with the romance of the three kingdoms story anyway. Thanks!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Re: fiction vs. reality: I believe the writer of Romance of the Three Kingdoms had a grandfather who served in Shu, so he likely grew up with a very imbalanced view of the whole situation.

I wonder how much the real life sworn brothers actually liked each other. Liu Bei appeared the most passionate about their brotherhood, given his rash decisions, but Guan Yu was self-absorbed and Zhang Fei seemed straight-up sociopathic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Fall 2014 for Samurai Warriors 4, PS3, PS4, PSV.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

All of those Ps and no C. :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

kissekatt posted:

All of those Ps and no C. :(

Give 'em time to see how DW8XL does.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think we only got the PC port because there was one existing in japanese before. There's no port for Gundam or SW 4, is there?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bummed about there probably not being a PC version, but hey maybe I'll get a PS4 and step into the next generation with a game that looks like it came out of 2006.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Tae posted:

I think we only got the PC port because there was one existing in japanese before. There's no port for Gundam or SW 4, is there?

I always figured the PC ports were mostly being done for China and that SW and Gundam might not have as much of a market there.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

Give 'em time to see how DW8XL does.

Every one of you fuckers better have gotten DW8XL or are planning on it, because I want Samurai Warriors 4PC.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hakkesshu posted:

Hey maybe I'll get a PS4 and step into the next generation with a game that looks like it came out of 2006.

Dammit Sony, I knew I wouldn't be the only one saying/thinking this. Of all things, this might be the one to force my wallet on getting a PS4 earlier than I planned.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Supersonic Shine posted:

Re: fiction vs. reality: I believe the writer of Romance of the Three Kingdoms had a grandfather who served in Shu, so he likely grew up with a very imbalanced view of the whole situation.

I wonder how much the real life sworn brothers actually liked each other. Liu Bei appeared the most passionate about their brotherhood, given his rash decisions, but Guan Yu was self-absorbed and Zhang Fei seemed straight-up sociopathic.

Partially right, the historian who compiled the Sanguozhi was Chen Shou, who's father was a Shu general. Chen Shou was employed by Jin, however, and didn't really show any particular biases. If anything, he would have shown more favour to Wei and Jin, since he was on the Sima's payroll.

The novel was written about 1200 years later, so the Three Kingdoms was already ancient history by then. It's still debatable how much of the fiction in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms is down to a millennium of myth and legend, the author's own biases, or propaganda.

Regarding the real life oath brothers, historically there is no record of them swearing an oath. The Peach Garden Oath was a legend/folk tale that came later (or was possibly invented for the novel). In the historically records, they WERE stated to have been very close friends, and sometimes shared a bed during their earlier "adventures."

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Brony Hunter posted:

Regarding the real life oath brothers, historically there is no record of them swearing an oath. The Peach Garden Oath was a legend/folk tale that came later (or was possibly invented for the novel). In the historically records, they WERE stated to have been very close friends, and sometimes shared a bed during their earlier "adventures."

The funniest thing about the historical "brothers" is that Zhang Fei and Guan Yu's personalities are kind of flipped. Zhang Fei was a lot more cunning and intelligent that he ever is in the books and Guan Yu was kinda scummy.

Also, Liu Bei once whipped the poo poo out of an Imperial Inspector (who was, to be honest, trolling for a bribe), but the books changed it so that Zhang Fei did it.

If you ever read the books, do NOT skip the footnotes (at least for the Moss Roberts edition). Those things are full of the most interesting bits of info/historical anecdotes. They're basically the whole reason I reread the books so regularly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

The FAQ linked earlier is pretty solid advice. That being said, I always use the following:

Jubilation - the health recovery is especially useful when chaining Ambition mode battles
Cyclone - being able to do damage through blocks really speeds things up
Induction - not really mandatory, I just like riding around swinging my weapon and watching mooks get hit with tons of lightning

I'll add Velocity for any weapon that feels too slow, otherwise I just pile on whatever damage dealers strike my fancy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So, i was still wondering whether fortune hunter even does anything. So i fired up Cheat Engine and took a look at when the program checks the skill value during a stage. For example, your Havoc skill level is checked every single time you make an attack, sometimes multiple times.

The game only ever seemed to check Fortune Hunter to see if it's already level 20, to make it eligible for leveling up or not. Welp.

I even made a counter to check how many times the program reads my skills (for effect, not skill learning) and played during a whole stage.

I think Fortune Hunter might be a hoax, guys.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think I'm staying away from ambition mode unless I'm missing the "select all" option on selling weapons.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Supersonic Shine posted:

Such... filial piety! *bursts into tears*

*they're very manly tears*

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tae posted:

I think I'm staying away from ambition mode unless I'm missing the "select all" option on selling weapons.

There isn't, that I am aware of. It's tedious, but after every fight I will sell off weapons right away. It keeps the toilet from overflowing.

When I feel I don't need money and I am playing at a difficulty level where the drops will be poo poo-tier, I also just avoid picking up weapons if I can. It's a real difficult impulse to control, but I appreciate the freedom from tedium it can grant.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There is at least a way to mark weapons to be sold with one button press instead of two, but yeah the game really terribly needs a "sell all weapons X tier or below" button.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

HenryEx posted:

So, i was still wondering whether fortune hunter even does anything. So i fired up Cheat Engine and took a look at when the program checks the skill value during a stage. For example, your Havoc skill level is checked every single time you make an attack, sometimes multiple times.

The game only ever seemed to check Fortune Hunter to see if it's already level 20, to make it eligible for leveling up or not. Welp.

I even made a counter to check how many times the program reads my skills (for effect, not skill learning) and played during a whole stage.

I think Fortune Hunter might be a hoax, guys.

Try playing Lu Bu's campaign, I got my Fortune Hunter up to 4 in a couple of missions already.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I haven't actively tried to level up fortune hunter, but I got a rank in it from playing Zhang Jiao's story stage. It's replete with mooks and officers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying that i can't get it to level up (i got a point recently and equipped it for testing as you can see), i'm saying that the skill doesn't do jack poo poo, because the game never even checks for it.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i wish more characters had EX moves with the gloves. it is the second best weapon in the game behind huang gai's canoe

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I know why they didn't allow you to bring three weapons (because then the rock-paper-scissors system would be meaningless), but man it is just SO HARD sometimes to settle on only two choices :negative:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

I'm not saying that i can't get it to level up (i got a point recently and equipped it for testing as you can see), i'm saying that the skill doesn't do jack poo poo, because the game never even checks for it.

I'm not doubting the values you pulled but there is the possibility that it only checks the skill once, at the start of the stage, and sets a straight up crit multiplier or whatever it's supposed to do somewhere else when doing so. Is that possible?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Luck' is more likely a hidden stat that it applies a direct modifier to. I assume that if you use the skills that give a bonus to defence or attack it never actually checks those during the game, either?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Chachi posted:

I know why they didn't allow you to bring three weapons (because then the rock-paper-scissors system would be meaningless), but man it is just SO HARD sometimes to settle on only two choices :negative:

My issue is almost the opposite. Of course you keep your EX weapon, the problem is not using one specific secondary on everyone ever-Lu Bu's halberd is obvious, but things like Sun Jian's weapon or the harp. Compatibility isn't a concern, so you can go so crazy.

Of course, most of this is because we have everything open from the start, that wasn't the case in normal 8. We'd have to unlock people to use their weapon and use them in Ambition, for instance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's one thing I don't like about playing the complete edition on PS4, I like unlocking stuff. Well, that and it only includes the mainly impossible (for me) Extreme Legends trophies. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I've started messing with ambition mode after going through the stories - when exactly do you get access to bodyguards? I've gone through a few sets of 3 or so maps but I still haven't gotten a tutorial about that.