Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Collateral Damage posted:

If sites use md5 for password hashing that's a problem with the site, not with your password. If you md5 hash your passwords then NO password is secure because even 20 random letters and numbers can be brute forced in a couple of hours.

Use bcrypt or :frogout:

But a lockout policy fixes the brute forcing issue?

I am dealing with this same topic at work currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Moey posted:

But a lockout policy fixes the brute forcing issue?
We're not talking about brute forcing a login prompt. We're talking about someone who's already stolen the list of hashed passwords and can brute force them offline at their leisure.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
On the topic of password requirements, systems should not be vulnerable to brute-forcing in the first place. Three tries = lockout.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

martyrdumb posted:

On the topic of password requirements, systems should not be vulnerable to brute-forcing in the first place. Three tries = lockout.

:ughh:

Multiple people in the thread have explained that it is in reference to attacking hashed passwords where the hashes have been stolen via sql injection or similar compromise.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

martyrdumb posted:

So it takes me what, 600ms max per thread per user to denial of service the system?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

itt people bad at security

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Hey I have a Security+ certification and I'll have you know...

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I know enough about security to know I don't know enough about security and I best leave it to someone who does.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

We're not talking about brute forcing a login prompt. We're talking about someone who's already stolen the list of hashed passwords and can brute force them offline at their leisure.

Ah. I am stuck in this argument at work for login prompts with a lockout of 3 attempts....

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hate conference room audio in every way shape and form! Go with expensive Polycom units that sound great? Nope gently caress you! Random sales guy teleconferencing in from an open convertible driving 70 mph on the high way in a construction zone cant be heard well. Go test and roll out a new unit. Tiny room with a little Jabbra speaker that works well in small areas? No gently caress you again! We need to be able to be heard at a whisper while hanging from above the ceiling tiles in the corner of the room. I'm just so tired of dealing with it. We've tested units that sound great when your on a good connection, I cant fly all over the country and test audio from lovely reception areas. Just because joe blow marketing genius cant be heard well doesnt mean there is a problem with the unit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Moey posted:

Ah. I am stuck in this argument at work for login prompts with a lockout of 3 attempts....
Lockouts are dumb and just add more workload to your helpdesk when users inevitably get their accounts locked out every time they've changed their password.

An increasing delays for each failed login is better.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I just had a user walk out of my office in a huff, believing that he is the one who has been wronged.

He walked into my office -- for some reason this new batch of users is allergic to email or the loving telephone, half of them walk down here to talk to me -- and started to ask me a question, but stopped a couple words in and picked up a USB A/B cable from my surplus and stood there looking at it.

It took me several attempts to get him to tell me what it was he was trying to accomplish, so I could tell him if that cable would help. It turns out his son broke his DSi XL power adapter and he thought the connector looked like that. I've never owned any of the XLs, but I've owned every other model of DS ever released, and they all had proprietary adapters. I told him that, and that that wasn't going to work. Obviously it isn't my job to fix someone's DS, but whatever, I can do a quick favor. Having heard this reply, he stands there silently in my office staring at the cable.

I then have this conversation several more times, explaining each time that it will not work, that Nintendo uses nonstandard, proprietary connectors for their handhelds, but that yes, if he really wants to he can take that cable with him and test it. Each time I grow increasingly exasperated, and he asks me why I'm in a bad mood today. I wasn't before he walked in, but I reply that I don't like it when people walk in and help themselves to my equipment, and that I don't like it when people ask my advice and won't take it. He says "Okay, I won't come down anymore" and puts down the cable and walks out, clearly miffed, while I remind him that he's welcome to take the cable if he wants it.

(As an aside, I've never owned an XL, like I said, but Googling appears to support me -- the DSi XL charger is still a proprietary connector, right?)

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah, the DSi XL uses the same connector as the DSi, 3DS and 3DS XL.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is saving a customer's credit card information that they give you over the phone in a .wav file legal?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SlayVus posted:

Is saving a customer's credit card information that they give you over the phone in a .wav file legal?

Do you live in a one-party state or the person was aware that you were recording the call? If so, yes.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

SlayVus posted:

I doubt it's illegal, but I am pretty sure it's a clear PCI violation.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

guppy posted:

I just had a user walk out of my office in a huff, believing that he is the one who has been wronged.

He walked into my office -- for some reason this new batch of users is allergic to email or the loving telephone, half of them walk down here to talk to me -- and started to ask me a question, but stopped a couple words in and picked up a USB A/B cable from my surplus and stood there looking at it.

It took me several attempts to get him to tell me what it was he was trying to accomplish, so I could tell him if that cable would help. It turns out his son broke his DSi XL power adapter and he thought the connector looked like that. I've never owned any of the XLs, but I've owned every other model of DS ever released, and they all had proprietary adapters. I told him that, and that that wasn't going to work. Obviously it isn't my job to fix someone's DS, but whatever, I can do a quick favor. Having heard this reply, he stands there silently in my office staring at the cable.

I then have this conversation several more times, explaining each time that it will not work, that Nintendo uses nonstandard, proprietary connectors for their handhelds, but that yes, if he really wants to he can take that cable with him and test it. Each time I grow increasingly exasperated, and he asks me why I'm in a bad mood today. I wasn't before he walked in, but I reply that I don't like it when people walk in and help themselves to my equipment, and that I don't like it when people ask my advice and won't take it. He says "Okay, I won't come down anymore" and puts down the cable and walks out, clearly miffed, while I remind him that he's welcome to take the cable if he wants it.

(As an aside, I've never owned an XL, like I said, but Googling appears to support me -- the DSi XL charger is still a proprietary connector, right?)

I don't know about anything other than the DS Lite, but the DS Lite can absolutely be charged using a USB to DS connector cable, which can be readily found on ebay for a very low price.

Don't need to buy a dodgy crappy charger again.

I also saw a guy mod his DS Lite - unsoldered the proprietary connector and soldered on a mini USB connector. Fit perfectly in place. Why didn't you do this first time round, Nintendo? (Although micro would be even better).

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My favorite co-worker is leaving.

:saddowns:

...this means I am basically the only person that knows the grandfathered product lines from an engineering level.

:smithicide:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lockouts are dumb and just add more workload to your helpdesk when users inevitably get their accounts locked out every time they've changed their password.

An increasing delays for each failed login is better.

Is this even possible in a natively in a Windows domain?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

guppy posted:

Ah, yes, the "Tell me what I want to hear" school of asking for advice. The best way to endeer yourself to IT.

My favorite one is some variation on the following conversation, which happens about twice a year:

:byodood:: I want a gaming laptop. Which one should I get.
:cool:: The one I got. IdeaPad y510p.
:byodood:: I dunno, that looks like it costs a lot. Can't I buy <insert some hideously cheap, underpowered, usually Dell laptop here>
:cool:: No, it's not powerful enough. If you want to game on a laptop, you're gonna pay bucks.
:byodood:: I dunno....

*two weeks later*

:byodood:: I bought the Dell, but I get a really bad framerate in <Insert game here> on Ultra. I've got a really good processor, can you help me fix this?

:suicide:

Neito fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 21, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know about anything other than the DS Lite, but the DS Lite can absolutely be charged using a USB to DS connector cable, which can be readily found on ebay for a very low price.

Don't need to buy a dodgy crappy charger again.

I also saw a guy mod his DS Lite - unsoldered the proprietary connector and soldered on a mini USB connector. Fit perfectly in place. Why didn't you do this first time round, Nintendo? (Although micro would be even better).

It's the other end of the cable that concerns me. I know you can buy a cable to charge off USB, but you still need the proprietary DS connector on the other end.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

guppy posted:

Did our company provide this nintendo to you? No? We don't support personal hardware. Get out.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

jre posted:

:ughh:

Multiple people in the thread have explained that it is in reference to attacking hashed passwords where the hashes have been stolen via sql injection or similar compromise.
Mea culpa, and thanks for the explanation. :blush:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Neito posted:

Ah, yes, the "Tell me what I want to hear" school of asking for advice. The best way to endeer yourself to IT.

My favorite one is some variation on the following conversation, which happens about twice a year:

:byodood:: I want a gaming laptop. Which one should I get.
:cool:: The one I got. IdeaPad y510p.
:byodood:: I dunno, that looks like it costs a lot. Can't I buy <insert some hideously cheap, underpowered, usually Dell laptop here>
:cool:: No, it's not powerful enough. If you want to game on a laptop, you're gonna pay bucks.
:byodood:: I dunno....

*two weeks later*

:byodood:: I bought the Dell, but I get a really bad framerate in <Insert game here> on Ultra. I've got a really good processor, can you help me fix this?

:suicide:

Step 1: Sell the Dell
Step 2...

Meanwhile, regarding biometrics: a former client of mine went fingerprint scanner, while also keeping the policy that passwords must be rotated at least once a month and may not be reused for at least a year.

It's been 8 months or so.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lum posted:

As for biometrics. The one place I worked at that used fingerprints. None of the readers could ever read mine. Yay eczema!

:sissies: hosed up fingerprint buddy! I've literally never had a biometric scanner work on my fingers. Something about years of playing bass (possibly the constant friction between fingertips and textured steel cables) just renders them utterly useless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So what, you have to use a different finger every month? Or is the password in addition to the biometrics.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Kurieg posted:

So what, you have to use a different finger every month? Or is the password in addition to the biometrics.

This would be hilarious. No repeat passwords for 12 months. November and December feature toeprints every year.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Paladine_PSoT posted:

:sissies: hosed up fingerprint buddy! I've literally never had a biometric scanner work on my fingers. Something about years of playing bass (possibly the constant friction between fingertips and textured steel cables) just renders them utterly useless.

I haven't touched a violin for six years, but I still have a permanent indent in my left index finger caused by the tiny, high tension strings. Then I started playing bass and now my fingers hosed up in different ways.

I don't really know the technology behind smartphones/tablet touchscreens, but I find my fingers don't work that well on them. Do you have any issues with touchscreen devices? I don't know if I'm a mutant or if it's from all the finger abuse.

I've never used a biometric device either so I can't really compare like that.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Renegret posted:

I haven't touched a violin for six years, but I still have a permanent indent in my left index finger caused by the tiny, high tension strings. Then I started playing bass and now my fingers hosed up in different ways.

I don't really know the technology behind smartphones/tablet touchscreens, but I find my fingers don't work that well on them. Do you have any issues with touchscreen devices? I don't know if I'm a mutant or if it's from all the finger abuse.

I've never used a biometric device either so I can't really compare like that.

Just above average fat fingering reducing my accuracy. I can't use swype.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a call came in:

Quicksand's company called me up and wants to hire me for a new position for several clients in Edmonton. After two phone interviews, one was a couple of months ago, we are at the references stage.

Wooo

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

Quicksand's company called me up and wants to hire me for a new position for several clients in Edmonton. After two phone interviews, one was a couple of months ago, we are at the references stage.

Wooo

This would make my incredibly aggravating day worth suffering through

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

Wooo

Dude, I'm pulling harder for you to get this than I am for me to get a job.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

Wooo

:f5::f5::f5:

Hope this comes through for you. If it does please get one of those spy pen camera things to record your bosses' reaction to your departure.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kensei posted:

My favorite co-worker is leaving.

:saddowns:

...this means I am basically the only person that knows the grandfathered product lines from an engineering level.

:smithicide:

The situation you're describing is called "leverage." Time to ask for a raise.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Che Delilas posted:

The situation you're describing is called "leverage." Time to ask for a raise.

Funny you should mention that. There was a meeting on my calendar with the VP my boss reports to for a Six Month Review on the position I have now (that meeting just ended). I am getting the bump I asked for :toot:

(I have already transitioned to another role, and am just worried that I will get sucked back into supporting or helping with some of that outdated stuff.)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I keep seeing the word biometric, and it's just reminding me that our biometric insurance physicals are coming up. The CEO is on a huge health kick all of a sudden, and we used to be able to just get a physical from the doctor or clinic of our choice. This year, they're bringing in people to do the physicals here. Apparently they'll be testing our BMI, cholesterol, blood-glucose, and :siren:tobacco and drug usage:siren:. Drug users are terminated, tobacco users have to pay double insurance premiums. Hopefully if I quit smoking literally today, it'll be cleared out of my system by the end of July and I'll still be able to afford my health insurance :smith:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

larchesdanrew posted:

I keep seeing the word biometric, and it's just reminding me that our biometric insurance physicals are coming up. The CEO is on a huge health kick all of a sudden, and we used to be able to just get a physical from the doctor or clinic of our choice. This year, they're bringing in people to do the physicals here. Apparently they'll be testing our BMI, cholesterol, blood-glucose, and :siren:tobacco and drug usage:siren:. Drug users are terminated, tobacco users have to pay double insurance premiums. Hopefully if I quit smoking literally today, it'll be cleared out of my system by the end of July and I'll still be able to afford my health insurance :smith:

What.
The.
gently caress.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

larchesdanrew posted:

I recommend a polite, "No thank you" to this offering.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Habitual tobacco takes about a month to clear out, don't use nicotine replacement therapy like the patch or the gum because that will show up as if you were smoking. You have to do it cold turkey. I wonder if you enter a smoking cessation program if they can touch your rates, as actively seeking treatment for addiction grants protection from retaliation based on said addiction treatment.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

What.
The.
gently caress.

Indeed. I'm more annoyed by BMI measurement as that's a massive shitheap of a metric.

Before submitting any information regarding your physical, you could always be a dick and insist on seeing the HIPPA compliance need and followthrough for storage of all physical related information. cholesterol and glucose levels are protected (though drug test results aren't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Wow gently caress that.

• Locked thread