Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

E3 2010 in a nutshell:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
god I miss stupid ubisoft. I mean theyre still stupid but they'll never do anything as dumb as the laser tag thing again

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

god I miss stupid ubisoft. I mean theyre still stupid but they'll never do anything as dumb as the laser tag thing again

#girlwood

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

didn't shiggy-san work directly on pikmin 3?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

EA 2009

The conference opens with a pre-rendered trailer for Visceral Games' Dante's Inferno. This game had some stupid as poo poo advertising gimmicks, like hiring fake protestors to protest the game's content for cheap publicity. You know how game reviewers deny they get bribes? EA literally sent checks for $200 to video game critics as a part of their marketing. This game was like God of War, right. It's so unmemorable I've forgotten a lot about it. METACRITIC SCORE: 74

Next is The Sims 3 trailer. This game literally came out the day after the briefing (so I won't include the Metascore), but they wasted time talking about it anyway, for some reason, so. Not exactly the greatest start.

Okay this is not getting better. Hasbro rep comes out to talk about a licensed video game for Littlest Pet Shop. The word "girls" is uttered about 200 times during this segment. Not just one Littlest Pet Shop game, but THREE games!! But wait, a FOURTH game, Littlest Pet Shop Online ohh gently caress changed the fuckin game, it's online now. You thought that poo poo was staying in the past, poo poo's 21st century fresh. METACRITIC SCORE: There is none, so I guess 0

There's now a bedazzled "EA Girlz" logo with sparkles, and more people are on stage to talk about CHARM GIRLS CLUB, as part of EA's "Games For Girlz" initative, because, you know, girls don't play normal games!!!! Only games with jewelry and charms. Some kids are on stage to play some lovely minigames and all we see is them shaking wii remotes around. As you can tell, in 2009, E3 is all about the games, and EA is delivering with some haymakers. There are a lot of cheers and "WOO"s during this segment, either from sympathy or from EA plants in the audience. I wish archives worked, because they played this full Charm Girls Club theme song CG trailer, and I'm CRAVING to know how SA reacted when that went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLrLAM4wnKc

METACRITIC SCORE: There is none, so 0

Next, a guy comes on stage to talk about "the new Need for Speed strategy", whatever that is, and unveils Need for Speed Shift. In the middle of demonstrating the "driver profile" feature atop generic footage of the game that seems to have no connection to his speech, the video feed abruptly cuts out, and the guy has no idea what to do. It starts over from the beginning, so he continues-- NOPE.. HE STARTS OVER FROM THE BEGINNING, with his speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd0VQS2Eu0E&t=84s

I didn't think it was possible for an actual game to be presented in a more boring way than a licensed facebook app for toddlers, but EA made me a believer. METACRITIC SCORE: 83

Dragon Age Origins is presented by two Bioware guys whom are referred to as doctors for some reason (are they doctors?). The Bioware guys promised "monumental decisions that will have you question what is truly right or wrong", which, like all Bioware games, translates to "Kill 2 million babies, or cure cancer??? YOU DECIDE!!" The trailer's Marilyn Manson music proclaims "this is the new poo poo'. hm, i guess so. METACRITIC SCORE: 87

Mass Effect 2 is touted by the Bioware doctors as having an emotionally captivating story, and a trailer is shown of some gameplay. This game probably demonstrates the divide between critical acclaim and goon acclaim better than any other, because you can find no shortage of people on this forum saying this game either is great or sucks. Either way, ME2 signalled the start of a trend of EA beginning to eventually homogenize all of their properties into the same universal third person waist-high-walled action experience. METACRITIC SCORE: 95

EA Sports is up, with a trailer showing Steve Nash with the Phoenix Suns and Hines Ward being a super bowl champion so you KNOW it was 5 years ago. Peter Moore arrived to show off the latest iterations of franchises that have miniscule updates, like Fight Night Round 4 (METACRITIC: 87), EA MMA (78), Tiger Woods Online (71), Madden 10 (85). EA Sports is talking about their new Teambuilder feature. I don't play many sports games so I have no idea if this is a good thing to be spending time on.

Peter Moore then talks about how he has never been more proud to work on a product than EA Sports Active, shows a video about how EA Sports Active makes all our lives better!! And then brings a celebrity trainer onstage and calls her "sweetie" (oh). Peter interviews the trainer, who brags about being able to fit into a size 4. You know what makes this all silly? EA Sports Active had been in stores for weeks prior to E3 2009. So they are spending time talking about products they've already released. Peter then plays a Wii Sports Tennis knockoff called Grand Slam Tennis (78), and Pete Sampras walks onstage during the demo with his enormous bald spot to take over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreDHCDZO6Q&t=20s

Now they're showing The Saboteur. What I remember about the game is that it had a rough development and ended up being critically meh-ed (METACRITIC SCORE: 73), but it does have a loyal goon contingent that will tell you it's underrated but rough around the edges. The gameplay demo is pretty loving rough and low budget, with scripted explosions where things just chop in half, and it's obviously full of cheat codes because the character falls from huge heights unscathed and plays poorly overall without dying.

Tim Schaffer comes onstage in a time when people still 100% loved him instead of 85% like and 15% get angry about as it is today. Maybe part of that is because of Broken Age's development (it's really not that big a deal), but some of that is certainly because of Brutal Legend, which is shown in this conference. Tim: "Did you make this game solely so you could meet your favorite rock stars? Yes I did, and I'm sorry you didn't think of it." I guess people expected a different game than they got, because Brutal Legend has a lot of RTS to it, a not a lot of Psychonauts to it, although watching these trailers it pretty much looks like an actiony RTS so I dunno what people got upset about. Anyway, Tim mostly just talked about how he jerked off to famous women metal band singers. Then there was this video with Jack Black making zany "jokes". That's also how you know this is 5 years old. Jack Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-bxzhpng8w

Wow. I need new sides. Because these ones are split, from the comedy. :geno: METACRITIC SCORE: 82

Crytek had a guy with very thin hair hugging his face introduce Cryengine 3 and Crysis 2, but they had nothing to show. You can expect to see this a lot at E3 2014. METACRITIC SCORE: 83

Oh no. They're now talking about APB. What to say about APB... It was kind of a catastrophe? Then they rebooted it and it was still terrible. I wonder what the gaming press thought about this reveal at the time. I bet they thought "WHOAA AN ONLINE GTA THATS SO COOL I'm a game journalist WOOOO YEAH." METACRITIC SCORE: 58

A yearly tradition begins as Star Wars music floods the theater. A bunch of Star Wars cosplayers walk on stage with plastic lightsabers.

Then two Bioware guys walk onstage in stupid robes and then shake each other's hand. Is this an in-joke? I don't know, I don't care. This apparently isn't the debut of The Old Republic at E3, which tells you HOW LONG IT TOOK FOR OLD REPUBLIC TO GET MADE. It didn't come out in 2010 either dog. They showed one of the three thousand CG pre-rendered trailers that were made for the game. METACRITIC SCORE: 85

Average Metacritic score for this conference: 69.9 (58.9 if you include all 4 Littlest Pet Shop games). There are very few games on this list that would universally get a thumbs up around here. The worst thing was it was boring bad more than trainwreck bad. 2 Mr. Caffeines out of 5

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 21, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Then two Bioware guys walk onstage in stupid robes and then shake each other's hand. Is this an in-joke? I don't know, I don't care. This apparently isn't the debut of The Old Republic at E3, which tells you HOW LONG IT TOOK FOR OLD REPUBLIC TO GET MADE. It didn't come out in 2010 either dog. They showed one of the three thousand CG pre-rendered trailers that were made for the game. METACRITIC SCORE: 85

This Metacritic score is a lie because The Old Republic was a real loving bad game. But Star Wars and Bioware hurf durf i'm a serious critic

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

abagofcheetos posted:

Has anyone here actually attended E3 before? I've always wondered what it is like to actually be there, especially now that they just let anyone attend. I'd imagine that most of the good stuff still requires a press pass.

As dorky as it sounds I am strongly considering going one of these years, really just to say I was there.

I've never been there during keynotes, there's a lot of open booths but typically looooongass lines to play, I've actually never bothered. There's usually booths that require special press passes though. I remember the year they unveiled Skyrim you couldn't just get in with any old pass. Longass lines too

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

JethroMcB posted:

Man, I miss 1 vs. 100. If Microsoft was still running stuff like that I'd still be subscribed to Live. I managed to take first place in the Mob one night, it was like winning one thousand bar trivia nights at once. I won a free copy of Kingdom for Keflings, which I played for about 15 minutes.

It always stuns me how Microsoft threw away all the awesome concepts proven with 1 vs. 100. Man, I wish someone would build a spiritual successor.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

please do Nintendo 2008 next, these are great.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Justin Godscock posted:

Miyamoto is to Nintendo as Stan Lee is to Marvel. Neither have any direct say in daily company operations for a while now, mostly do symbolic work and media appearances for their companies but people still talk about them like they know who Spider-Man faces next or what the Zelda subtitle will be (they probably know, but only from someone in the grapevine because they were senior enough and respected enough to be trusted with that information).

If the Iwata asks interviews are to be trusted, hes kind of like an internal game-design consultant. He doesn't do much day to day design on the big projects, but at internal demos/milestones hes one of the people on who gives feedback on the design of the games and helps teams come up with gameplay ideas.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Microsoft is apparently going to do something at this E3 that's "never been seen before at E3." I expect some CEO to walk in, drop trou, and take a giant poo poo right on stage.

that happens every year at every conference

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Dragon Age Origins is presented by two Bioware guys whom are referred to as doctors for some reason (are they doctors?).

Yep, both Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, two of the three founding members of Bioware are, in fact, medical doctors (I think the third member is too I dunno). I dunno if they ever did much with their degrees since they started making video games after they graduated, but it still counts. And, for the record, they both stepped down from the company in 2012.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
I've been to a bunch of E3s in various capacities over the last five years, both for work and to goof off. It used to be a cool way to get to see and play upcoming stuff, but nowadays, the press conferences are streamed live, the games on the floor have demos you can download at home, and all the videos are available online anyway. It's really more of a hassle to go than it is to just stay at home at this point. Unless we're talking about the Ouya parking lot from last year. That was totally worth it.

We actually used to sneak into E3s with badges - the only prerequisite is you need a friend of yours who has an actual legitimate badge from a large-ish company. We'd get in line for badge pickup with our friend standing next to us, walk up to the table, announce our name and the company on his badge, and then just wait. The person working the badges would be unable to find the name, of course, which would cue a moment of confusion (we'd ask our friend "No way - you submitted my name over to Carol in the same email, right?" or some variant of that) and then we would just... wait. The person working the badges (who could care less if Carol forwarded the email along) would then just print out a badge with the supplied name on it. Repeat at different badge pickup sites.

Also the food and bathroom situation is horrible, and by the last day, the place actually smells.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So it's like most geek gatherings.

I'm gonna be doing summaries of all the E3 things from 2009 to 2012, whenever I am in the mood. The keynotes are nonsense to put on in the background while I work, if nothing else. Although I wish Gametrailers still had their E3 coverage available because I want to remember all the dumb poo poo they did, like the GAMER INDEX.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 21, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Keighley: Well lets check in on my SAMSUNG GALAXY 2 TABLET FROM SAMSUNG for our EA Checklist of things they need to do.

1) Announce sports games.

2) Maybe a Need for Speed?

3) Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet from Samsung.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I loved the E3 GAMER INDEX from last year because, outside of Microsoft screwing up and Sony dropping the proverbial hammer, the only thing people seemed to be interested was Grand Theft Auto.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What was the Gamer Index?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Webbeh posted:

It always stuns me how Microsoft threw away all the awesome concepts proven with 1 vs. 100. Man, I wish someone would build a spiritual successor.

My nongaming family still asks what happened to 1vs100. It was the perfect game for the elusive casual audience and had cool rewards like store credit and small games. Neither console manufacturer seems interested in doing something like this anymore, sadly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SONY 09

Jack Tretton comes onstage and immediately sweats off two pounds. He makes a joke about Sony being 1st in everything, including press leaks. Merely mentioning Heavy Rain gets a huge reaction (lol) from the gamer journalists.

Tretton begins the conference by talking about Playstation 2, a reminder that Sony goes nuts trying to squeeze every last drop of blood from a stone. There are lots of charts, including this one with a misshapen Earth.

There are lots of moments where Jack pauses for applause and doesn't get any.

The first game shown is Uncharted 2, part-time video game and part-time movie ride. There's a part in the demo where they overlook the city skybox and people start wooping. I don't know why. People keep wooping randomly during the demo. Are there Sony plants? It's a nice looking game, it's what Naughty Dog does, but what is happening. The easiest explanation is that game journalists are dumb children and you just have to jingle keys in their face to excite them. METACRITIC SCORE: 96

MAG appears on the screen. Mag... mag..... what the gently caress, we cared about MAG? What a generic load of rear end that was. People just really wanted to get excited about servers with hundreds of players, I guess. I wonder if there even are 256 players playing MAG anymore. I mean this is what they're leading off with. METACRITIC SCORE: 76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7tfXsbgUss
(colors shown: brown, brown, and orange-brown)

Jack comes back to talk about PSP. Compared to Vita, the PSP sold like Playstation 2 by comparison. The first PSP announcement in 2009? A HANNA MONTANA PSP PACK! This sounds like a good idea, child stars never descend into madness. Kaz Hirai then steps out and pulls a PSPgo out of his coat pocket. No! Put it back Kaz you still have time! He refers to it as an "object of desire". The PSP Go was certainly an object. They're literally talking about this poo poo for 10 minutes. I don't care. Yes yes, Media Go, senseme, Showtime shows on Playstation Network, whatever ZZZZZ

oh a game. Gran Tourismo for PSP. The GT developer looks uncomfortable on the stage and keeps shifting back and forth like the guy in that MST3K short about perfect posture. His translator is apparently an intern because he's scribbling into a notebook as he talks rather than just having that poo poo memorized in rehearsal. It also leads to him stumbling over his words a few times. Appropriate, because GT for PSP was a clumsy translation. That joke was written by E3. METACRITIC SCORE: 74

Hideo Kojima made two appearances that day, this time to show a Metal Gear Solid game that actually came out within 2 years of its announcement: Peace Walker. The only negative about Peace Walker seems to be that it is for Playstation Portable, because it's supposed to be really good? Is there a bad Metal Gear Solid? Despite having seen ten thousand Kojima trailers, game journalists still applaud at the title and forget that there's one or sometimes two post-credit scenes, leading to awkward silence at the actual end of the trailer. It happens every time. Maybe game journalists should stop cheering and WOOOPING at video game trailers. If I went to a movie theater and people did that poo poo I'd loving leave. METACRITIC SCORE: 89

After a boring sizzle reel of PSP games no one will ever care about, Jack returned to get Playstation fans excited again, by talking about Play...playstation home PLAYSTATION HOME!!! When did Sony give up on this poo poo? Oh no they have a video! There's a bit where people's avatars put on fursuits. You made this choice, sony. You made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFziZ-CDamk

After a sizzle reel of games, Jack Tretton comes out to announce a brand new property from Rockstar: Agent. A spy game, from Rockstar? Sounds great. Where is it? It was never made. IT WAS NEVER MADE. It's been 5 years and it's still incorporeal!! Even Geoff Keighley gets mad about it, and he will literally swallow any poo poo given to him. METACRITIC SCORE: None, so 0

Assassin's Creed 2 is demoed. The rare sequel that actually is a massive improvement? Nobody even gave a poo poo about the original rear end Creed. Ubisoft shouted "DO-OVER!" and figured out how to do a proper game. The crowd goes "OHHHH" at a simultaneous double-kill. What is this, an infomercial? METACRITIC SCORE: 91

Final Fantasy XIII shows up at this conference too, but the future refused to change. It still sucked. METACRITIC SCORE: 83 Final Fantasy XIV is also announced, which elicits huge gasps from the crowd, haha psyche it's a lovely MMO again. Not just a lovely MMO but one so bad that it caused massive layoffs and execs losing their jobs. It was rebooted into an actual playable game, but that's not the one they showed, is it? METACRITIC SCORE: 49

Well, that was a billion games shown, time for dumb poo poo. Wait you mean they only featured 6 games? Uh well anyway, time for WAGGLE!! Move's introduction is super bad. Sony claims the EyeToy was the first motion controller (uhh in what way). Then two programmers show off the Move wand, and brag that its most interesting feature is that.. if you.. in an RPG if you want to cast f..fire.. ball spell, the color changes. THE COLOR CHANGES, DUKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RXowL_Bk1A

This is an awesomely terrible demo, with 'Anton' fooling around with poo poo like a kid who goes to Guitar Center and starts playing all the MIDI files on the keyboard. You get the sense that these two guys are the two biggest fans of the Playstation Move in the world. These guys really, really love Playstation Move. Also, I'm remembering now just how transparent the copycatting was this year, in the sunset of Wii's gargantuan early sales numbers. Microsoft and Sony would learn the same lesson Nintendo learned in 2012... lightning doesn't strike the same place twice!!

ModNation Racers is announced. This Mario Kart ripoff about custom-made tracks was so mediocre that Sony had Media Molecule make a different Mario Kart ripoff about custom-made tracks. METACRITIC SCORE: 83

The Last Guardian is... oh I'm sorry trigger warning. The Last Guardian is shown. This might be the last time we see it at an E3? This conference is big on poo poo that never came out. The worst thing is, you can tell everything in the trailer is in-engine too. All that work for nothing. METACRITIC SCORE: None, so 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzHoMT5eRg

The final games shown are Gran Tourismo 5 (84) and God of War 3 (92) and I'm in slight pain from how boring this whole thing is. E3 is a lot more fun when it's crazy and this is all fuckin snoozer. I wish they were talking about Playstation Home again. This is bullshit there weren't even celebrities or dance troupes. Not one car on stage. No musical performance.

Average Metacritic score: 68.1. If this conference was a football player it would be David Boston. 1 Mr. Caffeine out of 5

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 21, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SONY 09

MAG appears on the screen. Mag... mag..... what the gently caress, we cared about MAG? What a generic load of rear end that was. People just really wanted to get excited about servers with hundreds of players, I guess. I wonder if there even are 256 players playing MAG anymore. I mean this is what they're leading off with. METACRITIC SCORE: 76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7tfXsbgUss
(colors shown: brown, brown, and orange-brown)

Nobody since they killed the servers for it at least a year ago. Echoing the request for more of these.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

This Metacritic score is a lie because The Old Republic was a real loving bad game. But Star Wars and Bioware hurf durf i'm a serious critic

At least if you want to, you can play the singleplayer campaign for all the classes for free now, which is all I'd want.

Too bad there's no way to make lasers really deadly so I could just waltze through the entire thing too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Now they're showing The Saboteur. What I remember about the game is that it had a rough development and ended up being critically meh-ed (METACRITIC SCORE: 73), but it does have a loyal goon contingent that will tell you it's underrated but rough around the edges. The gameplay demo is pretty loving rough and low budget, with scripted explosions where things just chop in half, and it's obviously full of cheat codes because the character falls from huge heights unscathed and plays poorly overall without dying.
Nope just checked, thats pretty much what the game looks like on normal, Sean was a real bullet sponge. I don't remember shooting the dynamite on that car (it was just a straight up sniping if I remember correctly) but other than that what you saw was what you got. Still a fun game though, I am part of that contingent that loves it for what it was.

Also more trivia! From what I heard 1 vs. 100 was killed by the IP owners so that they could launch their (now cancelled) revamp of the old tv show. Of course that lasted like a year or two so why the game wasn't brought back is beyond me, maybe they just forgot about it?

There is at least one bad Metal Gear game, Snake's Revenge for the Tiger Gametalk which I am holding in my hands right now!

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 21, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I'm loving these roundups, I'd watch the videos, but I get a strong feeling of shame and embarrassment if I watch longer then 10 seconds of any of these.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Nope just checked, thats pretty much what the game looks like on normal, Sean was a real bullet sponge. I don't remember shooting the dynamite on that car (it was just a straight up sniping if I remember correctly) but other than that what you saw was what you got. Still a fun game though, I am part of that contingent that loves it for what it was.

Also more trivia! From what I heard 1 vs. 100 was killed by the IP owners so that they could launch their (now cancelled) revamp of the old tv show. Of course that lasted like a year or two so why the game wasn't brought back is beyond me, maybe they just forgot about it?

There is at least one bad Metal Gear game, Snake's Revenge for the Tiger Gametalk which I am holding in my hands right now!

There's also the NES port of the first game, which Kojima says can rot in hell.

After a sizzle reel of games, Jack Tretton comes out to announce a brand new property from Rockstar: Agent. A spy game, from Rockstar? Sounds great. Where is it? It was never made. IT WAS NEVER MADE. It's been 5 years and it's still incorporeal!! Even Geoff Keighley gets mad about it, and he will literally swallow any poo poo given to him. METACRITIC SCORE: None, so 0

The Last Guardian is... oh I'm sorry trigger warning. The Last Guardian is shown. This might be the last time we see it at an E3? This conference is big on poo poo that never came out. The worst thing is, you can tell everything in the trailer is in-engine too. All that work for nothing. METACRITIC SCORE: None, so 0

YOU WILL NOT DESTROY MY DREAMS!!!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hope you do the Konami '10 conference. Apperently I don't even remember the craziness from it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I miss the train wrecks. More companies should do presentations and make it as gaudy and glitzy as possible, sponsored by Gamestop. Make sure every presenter has to mention they can get buy 2 get 1 free this weekend sponsored by E3 Week at Gamestop where you can preorder the hottest games like Halo 5 and get a download code for the Halo Anniversary skin and sound pack for online play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MAG servers shut down like two years ago by the way.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cliff Racer posted:

Yep, it was pretty much this, the guys who own the 1 vs. 100 brand saw that it was popular and started asking for more and more money and control to the point where it wasn't feasible for Microsoft to keep with it, then they made a new and improved TV version of it that, shockingly, missed every reason why 1 vs. 100 worked so amazingly well on the Xbox and was quickly cancelled. I imagine that probably poisoned the well for anything else like that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I said come in! posted:

Playstation Home is still going strong, I think. The Playstation Youtube channel hasn't updated with any Home content since the start of the new year, presumably because it was always derided by most of the people subscribed.

Lemme just do a quick search to see if there's still any content being made and...oh yeah there's still stuff being added.

At least buying stuff in Home makes more sense than buying crap for your 360 avatar.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Playstation Home is still going strong, I think. The Playstation Youtube channel hasn't updated with any Home content since the start of the new year, presumably because it was always derided by most of the people subscribed.

Lemme just do a quick search to see if there's still any content being made and...oh yeah there's still stuff being added.

At least buying stuff in Home makes more sense than buying crap for your 360 avatar.

I much prefer the 360 avatar stuff because I can play as him/her in games like Doritos Crash Course. I can't do anything in Playstation Home without constant shame and lag.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Skychrono posted:

I much prefer the 360 avatar stuff because I can play as him/her in games like Doritos Crash Course. I can't do anything in Playstation Home without constant shame and lag.

Look all I'm saying is that my favorite Playstation Home moment was walking around that main courtyard plaza place dressed up as Dan Hibiki, but thanks to Home letting you make actual obese avatars I was FAT Dan Hibiki and was able to make a dude who was randomly exploring Home go into a laughing fit.

It was worth the price that costume cost.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My favorite PlayStation Home moment was right after it went live and finding out that some genius designer decided that artificial scarcity should exist for all the virtual activities you could participate in. Rather than stand around in a real bar with my friends and wait for people ahead of us to finish playing darts, I could do it in the comfort of my own home.

Also, watching crowds form around any and all female avatars.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Overbite posted:

#girlwood

That was just kind of cringey, I remember the guy that made horrible, horrible jokes, now that was hilarious.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

A drat shame too. I'm sure the population for the game wasn't really high but those first couple years I played the game with goons it was really fun. It was quite the underrated game and it was terrible that Zipper went under. I'd love to see a sequel for that game on the PS4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jimbot posted:

A drat shame too. I'm sure the population for the game wasn't really high but those first couple years I played the game with goons it was really fun. It was quite the underrated game and it was terrible that Zipper went under. I'd love to see a sequel for that game on the PS4.

It's called Planetside 2 if it ever comes out for PS4.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I still will never in 1,000 years understand why SOCOM 4 was even made when all they had to do was re-launch MAG with a few more maps now that people actually owned PS3s and went online with them. It was one of their first games to get Move and 3D support added in too but they forgot to tell people the game existed.

I'm convinced Planetside is never coming to PS4.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

There's also the NES port of the first game, which Kojima says can rot in hell.
There's also the DOS port of the NES port of the first game, is in vivid 16-color EGA and boasts all of 0 sounds! In which enemies can't shoot, but they can kill you dead within one second of touching you! In which you have absolutely no save capabilities!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I still will never in 1,000 years understand why SOCOM 4 was even made when all they had to do was re-launch MAG with a few more maps now that people actually owned PS3s and went online with them.

I'm convinced Planetside is never coming to PS4.

I hope the delay is because SoE decided to get the game working with PC servers because not enough people are going to play it on PS4. All of the PS4 free to play games are dead currently. No one cares which sucks because right now with the exception of DC Universe, they are all competitive games.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

I said come in! posted:

I hope the delay is because SoE decided to get the game working with PC servers because not enough people are going to play it on PS4. All of the PS4 free to play games are dead currently. No one cares which sucks because right now with the exception of DC Universe, they are all competitive games.

Warframe is Co-Op, and it's fun even with terrible pubbies (unless you are farming survival).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
What the gently caress is this 1v100 that everyone is talking about? I guess I don't know because: 'mericabox

• Locked thread