Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
cremnob please don't kill yourself when apple dies next year thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah surface 3 shaping up to be the real ipad killer

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Dec 26, 2012

idk about surface 3, my moneys on the surface 3 pro

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pram posted:

yeah surface 3 shaping up to be the real ipad killer

it already has more fans

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

it already has more fans

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

it already has more fans

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh hey it turns out that google glass is poo poo if you actually try to use it in the real world

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9248434/Why_I_m_sending_back_Google_Glass?taxonomyId=128&pageNumber=1

lol at the proprietary earbud that uses the charging port, which means you can't listen to anything and charge at the same time which lol because the battery is terrible and pumps heat into the side of your face which just lol man, lol.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

The enormous felt pouch that Google provides does not fit in any jacket pocket and dominates any purse.

And in as little as an hour, your battery needs a recharge.

one thousand five hundred united states dollars

or as we call it here, seven hundred and fifty millisurfaces

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

oh hey it turns out that google glass is poo poo if you actually try to use it in the real world

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9248434/Why_I_m_sending_back_Google_Glass?taxonomyId=128&pageNumber=1

lol at the proprietary earbud that uses the charging port, which means you can't listen to anything and charge at the same time which lol because the battery is terrible and pumps heat into the side of your face which just lol man, lol.

maybe we were wrong. maybe google glass is all part of an elaborate bdsm scenario.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if they didn't include a good carrying case on purpose to encourage people to wear them all the time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i like the watch concept tho

assuming there's ever one that isnt hideous

pretty safe to say that'll never happen

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/05/21/google-predicts-ads-in-odd-spots-like-thermostats/

quote:

In a letter Google sent to the Securities and Exchange Commission, Google attempted to justify its decision not to disclose revenue generated from mobile devices because in the future it could be serving ads on "refrigerators, car dashboards, thermostats, glasses, and watches, to name just a few possibilities."
lol google is garbage

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

I wonder if they didn't include a good carrying case on purpose to encourage people to wear them all the time

Don't they like not even fold up or something?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Install Windows posted:

Don't they like not even fold up or something?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If Nest is $250 this creates a market opportunity for a $500 thermostat that doesn't show you ads

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

If Nest is $250 this creates a market opportunity for a $500 thermostat that doesn't show you ads

was going to say that honeywell has you covered but apparently their consumer programmable thermostats top out at $300

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

nah they're just offering up dumb ideas to not have to disclose their mobile revenue but hopefully the SEC will call them on their poo poo. once investors can see clearly that google is getting dumpstered by facebook and tech bloggers can point to it every quarter a virtuous cycle of negative news will take hold and accelerate the death of google.

"google has 60 days to release the self-driving car or they'll disppear"

if google's business plan for nest is really to show ads on the thermostat then lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

was going to say that honeywell has you covered but apparently their consumer programmable thermostats top out at $300

looks like bad custom android UI

people like nest because it's not ugly, and quelle surprise tech spergs don't get that

a $250 thermostat is less than most people spend on nickel-plated drawer pulls

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

people like nest because it's not ugly, and quelle surprise tech spergs don't get that

quelle surprise if google is actually serious then they don't either

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

the future is going to be hosed up and own

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Necc0 posted:

quelle surprise if google is actually serious then they don't either

yep

can't wait until they make wordlens totally unusable

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

spergs don't get that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

quote:

It's called glassing out. Your eyes roll over to the right to look at the screen, and the rest of the world goes out of focus. People can't make eye contact with you, and if they're versed in popular psychology, they read things into your lack of eye contact.

maybe its because youre using your stupid eyeglasses smartphone instead of actually paying attention to them??

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

hobbesmaster posted:

* not including $20/mo online service fee

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

it's called glassing out

i'm the neoblogism

all asocial behavior with a device needs a defined place in the hierarchy

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

Google’s Nest has recalled all 440,000 Protect smoke alarms sold over fears that the alert will fail to sound due to a false triggering of the ‘Wave’ feature which disables the sound with a gesture.

The recall was detailed on the US Consumer Product Safety Commission website this morning. Though the report states that ‘about’ 440k units will be recalled, that’s said to be all Nest Protect Smoke + CO alarms sold.

lmao

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

maybe its because youre using your stupid eyeglasses smartphone instead of actually paying attention to them??

agreed but it's like sitting in a sports bar and trying not to look at the tvs. flashing glittery lights draw your attention whether you want to or not

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
nest is ugly

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the screen looks so bad and dated, now.
and the interface is actually pretty clumsy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol sure

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
yeah, thats ugly and less easy to use as well as costing way too much. thanks for illustrating it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

the future is going to be hosed up and own

http://m.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/05/19/chilean-artist-steals-and-destroys-500-million-worth-of-student-debt-papers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jiQ1QpNSkA

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the full quote is even funnier grimmer and bleaker:

quote:

"We expect the definition of “mobile” to continue to evolve as more and more “smart” devices gain traction in the market. For example, a few years from now, we and other companies could be serving ads and other content on refrigerators, car dashboards, thermostats, glasses, and watches, to name just a few possibilities. Our expectation is that users will be using our services and viewing our ads on an increasingly wide diversity of devices in the future, and thus our advertising systems are becoming increasingly device-agnostic."
finally, my car dashboard can tell me that 7-11 im driving by is having a 2 for 1 deal on mountain dew baja blast big gulps

all hail our glorious technological future

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

nah, it's just those idiots and their popular psychology not getting it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
can't wait for the car accidents caused by the driver being distracted by ads popping up in front of them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boxturret posted:

can't wait for the car accidents caused by the driver being distracted by ads popping up in front of them

but you see if you hand over the work of driving to a computer then the passengers can be bombarded by ads constantly

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

can't wait to have to buy a loving data plan for my car so it can play ads at me.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
self driving cars will avoid wrecks by automatically pulling off the road and stopping at a 7-11 until you buy something or watch a five minute advertisement for taquitos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

uncurable mlady posted:

self driving cars will avoid wrecks by automatically pulling off the road and stopping at a 7-11 until you buy something or watch a five minute advertisement for taquitos
black mirror season 3 spoilers itt

• Locked thread