Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Subjunctive posted:

That's going to make for some fun debugging, having totally different runtimes underlying the development and deployment environments. :allears:

I saw on twitter someone was asking about debugging and they said:
MonoDevelop and UnityVs should continue to work. They also want the CPP debugger to work (not sure what they mean here exactly. If that means you can just use a regular CPP debugger instead of UnityVs or if they mean being able to debug the CPP generated code).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Shalinor posted:

... god drat. and I live with a DJ.

Thinking it's time to figure out MIDI integration for Unity. :c00lbert:

I picked one of these up: It was a pain in the rear end to get its clunky 6 year old editor to detect the device on Windows 7 but once I did, things seem to work fine. Some parts of the manuals are practically incomprehensible. You can configure it just about any way you want, as far as MIDI output. If you want to make all the buttons keyboard(music) keys, you can do that. You can configure them individually to be momentary or toggle too.

This works pretty good for Unity input but I've only messed with it for 5 minutes so far.

https://github.com/keijiro/unity-midi-input

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 20, 2014

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Obsurveyor posted:

If you want to make all the buttons keyboard(music) keys, you can do that.

Although if that's all someone wants, they should get a NanoKey rather than a NanoKontrol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nition posted:

Now now, there's absolutely no reason to suspect that Unity's entirely in-house, closed-source, massively cross-platform custom native compiler implementation will have any bugs or differences with the existing implementation.

The good news is that IL is well-specified semantically, and there are decent test suites for it. As long as they don't try to get clever with just-so shortcuts and actually run the test suites and so forth.

:ohdear:

xgalaxy posted:

I saw on twitter someone was asking about debugging and they said:
MonoDevelop and UnityVs should continue to work. They also want the CPP debugger to work (not sure what they mean here exactly. If that means you can just use a regular CPP debugger instead of UnityVs or if they mean being able to debug the CPP generated code).

Debugging C++ code that has been through C# compilation, IL2CPP, and a C++ optimization pass is going to be pure, unadulterated :suicide:

I'm sure MonoDevelop will keep working, it'll just be a different runtime than deployment, especially in relative performance of different operations. I wonder how profiling will work.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 21, 2014

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

ClownSyndrome posted:

My LD game came in 3rd place in the Jam humour list!

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=22181

Glad people found it funny! (which was pretty much the goal, given there isn't much of a 'game' in it)

I love it! The cursing was the best part because I was doing it at the same time :)

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

the chaos engine posted:

I'ma jack all of the mega mens

my god this is amazing

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Coldrice posted:

my god this is amazing

Thanks :) Somehow ending up my most complicated game, feature-wise. Level select, inventory, weapon switching, all this poo poo is new to me.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
This 32x32-challenge reminds me a lot of Nitrome's Icon games. By clicking of the icon of those games, you can directly play them in the game select screen.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Game maker has decided it doesn't like keyboard inputs any more. :negative:

Edit and then I immediately fixed it. It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do for your brain.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 21, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

How much do people expect increasing numbers in a JRPG type game?

I want to keep number inflation low in my game, and show progression through changes in available moves, but I also understand that people like to see numbers go up.

A second question - what are your balancing methodologies in RPG type games?

For my basic benchmark enemy I've decided on the numbers based on how many would be needed to take the main character down, and how many I want her to be able to take down in a round.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Angrymog posted:

How much do people expect increasing numbers in a JRPG type game?

I want to keep number inflation low in my game, and show progression through changes in available moves, but I also understand that people like to see numbers go up.

A second question - what are your balancing methodologies in RPG type games?

For my basic benchmark enemy I've decided on the numbers based on how many would be needed to take the main character down, and how many I want her to be able to take down in a round.

It really depends – Mario-RPGs always have very small and manageable numbers, whereas Final Fantasy is well known for reaching 4-digit numbers fast.

Development is going okay. I converted my code to C# and started implementing a state machine, although I'm slowly reaching the point where it's starting to get overwhelming. Maybe I should focus on something else, like HUD, menu design, concept art or even 3D modeling, which I have almost no experience with.
That being said, here's a little gif of a mockup for one of the weapons in the game.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Hopefully Unity will allow developers to skip IL2CPP conversion for projects that don't really need to be optimized in favor of better parity with development builds (and easier debugging).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bert of the Forest posted:

Gamemaker does have layers via their object depth system. To achieve what you're describing, you can go into the step event of the players and create a script that looks something like this:

code:
depth = -y
Basically this tells the objects to change their depth based on their vertical height, so that their heads don't clip into things that are above their heads and so they appear behind things that are closer to the bottom of the screen until you pass them. It's also suggested you make the collision mask on players (and everything else for that matter) only the area around their feet where a shadow would be so you don't get weird things like having trash cans collide with your torso, etc.

Hey it worked, thanks!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I preffered the bigger shark - the little guy is cute, but its pretty easy to lose him against the background.

e: Collision masks

The problem with a foot only mask is that there's then no way to detect when you've been hit. (detecting when you've hit something is easy - iirc you can swop your masks in code, so you could swop to a full body mask when you hit the attack button, but doing the same when you've been hit is different, unless you use a collision with someone elses's foot mask as a trigger for loading the full mask in or something.)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 21, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angrymog posted:

I preffered the bigger shark - the little guy is cute, but its pretty easy to lose him against the background.

e: Collision masks

The problem with a foot only mask is that there's then no way to detect when you've been hit. (detecting when you've hit something is easy - iirc you can swop your masks in code, so you could swop to a full body mask when you hit the attack button, but doing the same when you've been hit is different, unless you use a collision with someone elses's foot mask as a trigger for loading the full mask in or something.)

My background palette is totally going to have to change, along with the scale. I think the worst part of the bg at the moment is that dead tv. I want to make the background much darker to make it look more like night and to make my sprites pop a bit more.

Gonna test out different hitboxes later tonight with a friend maybe, the feet might be too precise.

Edit: Isn't there a function for sensing if there is a hitbox nearby? Maybe I could keep the feet collision but set it up so that if you are within the right distance on both axis' you can hit each other. That does mean you might be able to punch each other while facing the wrong way though..

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 21, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Or maybe keep it simple - just assume that two people who's foot masks are touching and are facing the right way can hit each other.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angrymog posted:

Or maybe keep it simple - just assume that two people who's foot masks are touching and are facing the right way can hit each other.

Yeah, atm they are 1 pixel tall, which might be a tad bit too small..

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Think when I did something like that I give the collision mask a similar size and position to a circular shadow under the players feet

Also handy when you want a character to jumps (y position of mask stays the same, but sprite is offset based on who far off the ground they should be)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think I'm going to change how I handle depth too. The way I have it atm is your depth goes up or down as you move but I think I'll have it so that when you cross a point it'll change. It seems more controllable that way. I uh.. might be overthinking all of this...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Added some cool features to my game yesterday, boomerangs, ladders, and a toggle-able debug mode to help me develop that draws simple colored rectangles over all the level metadata so I'm not working blind on collisions and stuff.

Every little bit helps, just gotta keep at it! Its daunting to look at all the things I want done, but if you chip away at it day by day its not so bad.

My artist friend just left town without telling me so I'm giving up on ever getting anything out of him, just gonna make a game with ripped castlevania sprites, gently caress the bullshit. :smith:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shoehead posted:

I think I'm going to change how I handle depth too. The way I have it atm is your depth goes up or down as you move but I think I'll have it so that when you cross a point it'll change. It seems more controllable that way. I uh.. might be overthinking all of this...

I think the way you have depth going atm is the most elegant way to handle it. If you want larger steps multipy y by something before you invert it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

My artist friend just left town without telling me so I'm giving up on ever getting anything out of him, just gonna make a game with ripped castlevania sprites, gently caress the bullshit. :smith:

Welcome to game development. Have you tried doodling the art yourself? It's better than nothing!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well at the moment it's leading to stuff like this

So I need to tweak something at least.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shoehead posted:

So I need to tweak something at least.
Where is your sprite's origin point, and where are you doing the depth change - in the draw event?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah just set every sprite's origin to be right at their feet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angrymog posted:

Where is your sprite's origin point, and where are you doing the depth change - in the draw event?

Dead centre. And every time he moves up and down unless he's stopped.

Manslaughter posted:

Yeah just set every sprite's origin to be right at their feet.
Oh son of a bitch!

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Nition posted:

Are you using named or default parameters in your methods? MonoBehaviours in namespaces combined with named/default parameters breaks Unity.

I was initially. But when trying to fix it I read about that bug and removed them but kept having the problem. But I can't seem to recreate the issue now so maybe I missed a default parameter in my initial attempts to fix it before removing the namespace. Or some other change elsewhere fixed it somehow.

Specifically I was using a ScriptableObject and when inside the namespace Unity would just forget which script was assigned to the ScriptableObject/asset when closing/reopening the project. It worked fine right after creating the object but after reopening Unity and selecting the object it would just display

Even though there weren't any compile errors. Telling it which script to use would fix it, it wouldn't lose any data, I'd just have to reassign the script every time I ran Unity and then reassign the object to any prefabs that had references to it.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Oh son of a bitch!
GM has some useful constants for this sort of thing. Without changing the origin you could also do:
code:
depth = -bbox_bottom;

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Spek posted:

I was initially. But when trying to fix it I read about that bug and removed them but kept having the problem. But I can't seem to recreate the issue now so maybe I missed a default parameter in my initial attempts to fix it before removing the namespace. Or some other change elsewhere fixed it somehow.

Specifically I was using a ScriptableObject and when inside the namespace Unity would just forget which script was assigned to the ScriptableObject/asset when closing/reopening the project. It worked fine right after creating the object but after reopening Unity and selecting the object it would just display

Even though there weren't any compile errors. Telling it which script to use would fix it, it wouldn't lose any data, I'd just have to reassign the script every time I ran Unity and then reassign the object to any prefabs that had references to it.

That is how the named/default parameter bug shows up, but there could be something else that causes it as well. I had a similar issue where I thought I'd removed them all but one MonoBehaviour script was still doing that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Shoehead posted:

Not so rough Hammerhead-san~

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Not so rough Hammerhead-san~

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ahaha.

Ok setting the centre to their feet didn't help so instead I've set up a bunch of horizontal lines that would change your depth depending on your vertical motion, which broke my collision :v: It mostly works except moving over the line too quickly would double your depth and ruin everything.

Edit: Wait fuckin' hell why don't I just check if my player's Y value is higher or lower than the enemy's, have him clip over or under the enemy and then reset when I move away?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 21, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Couldn't you make a thing that checks an area around their feet and ensures those boxes can't pass through one another (or attempts to push them if they overlap like they what happens in post-NES beat 'em ups)? It'll prevent weird clipping issues, at least.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Guys I WAS RIGHT

:black101:

It only does it in relation to one sprite atm, which will cause problems later but it's close enough for now!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
This is more art/ui theory or whatever, but what do you guys consider to be a really good textbox/dialog box? What qualities does one have, and what games do you consider to have the best ones? I like the blue gradient with white text that the Final Fantasy series goes with (but this might be nostalgia). Conversely, I think the Dragon Age and TES:Oblivion have dogshit textboxes.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Ulta posted:

This is more art/ui theory or whatever, but what do you guys consider to be a really good textbox/dialog box? What qualities does one have, and what games do you consider to have the best ones? I like the blue gradient with white text that the Final Fantasy series goes with (but this might be nostalgia). Conversely, I think the Dragon Age and TES:Oblivion have dogshit textboxes.

The problem with that textbox is that every default RPG Maker game uses it. As for good textboxes...

Maybe I just like colorful text boxes? :3:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If you can easily read it it's probably at least a decent text box. Persona 4's are fantastic however.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I personally like them bare on the inside with some high contrast text and then a fancy border.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Guys I WAS RIGHT
:black101:

It only does it in relation to one sprite atm, which will cause problems later but it's close enough for now!

Seriously depth = -y is the only way I've seen it done, you're gonna run into big problems unless you figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Shoehead posted:

Edit: Wait fuckin' hell why don't I just check if my player's Y value is higher or lower than the enemy's, have him clip over or under the enemy and then reset when I move away?

Don't do this.

There are lots of potential issues with that solution. What if the character's origins are at different heights? What if the origin is in the centre, but the characters are different heights? You'll also have to be constantly checking against every enemy. When you have multiple enemies on screen, they'll all have to be checking against each other. If you forget one, it'll break. It'll be messy.

Just set every character's depth based on the y position of their base (their feet). You can set it every game tick, or you can set it whenever they move up or down. It's simple, it'll work.