Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Golden Goat posted:

Just read the Kotaku review here

Didn't Taro in the launch interview mention how he didn't want players thinking that a character that mows down people was super cool?

This is the same problem as Caim, who slaughtered his way into our hearts. :allears:

Speaking of which, the Caim costume looks pretty great. It's my favourite of the outfits so far..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Well, she is strong and a female protagonist! :v:

I just beat Chapter 2. Spears are good fun and oh yeah, Mikhail is the best. "It's okay, Zero. You can barf on me." :3:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm nearing the end of chapter 2 I assume, the gameplay seems serviceable so far I guess. Very glad they dropped the idea of fighting giant armies, I much prefer fighting dozens of enemies rather than hundreds or thousands.

The framerate is pretty lovely though, and it feels like Zero's attack animations take forever to end. It makes those side missions with the bomb assholes harder than they really need to be.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Momomo posted:

I'm nearing the end of chapter 2 I assume, the gameplay seems serviceable so far I guess. Very glad they dropped the idea of fighting giant armies, I much prefer fighting dozens of enemies rather than hundreds or thousands.

The framerate is pretty lovely though, and it feels like Zero's attack animations take forever to end. It makes those side missions with the bomb assholes harder than they really need to be.

So why not just dash out of the animation?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess I have terrible taste because I'm really enjoying this game. Dear God, that framerate though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Despite the awful start of disk read errors the first two times I try to install, I'm really enjoying this so far. The framerate and texture pop-in and the enemies just kinda appearing is all a bit distracting, and reminds me a bit of The Last Remnant, but honestly I didn't expect much else from the DP dudes. Gameplay is fun enough, and the banter and music is great. Like, just as good as, if not better than, Nier, music wise. Not so much a fan of some of the delivery of the actors (such as Five,) and I've yet to warm up to the English Zero's voice, but it's honestly worth keeping it in English most of the time just for the generic soldier dialogue. Switching between languages for levels is making replaying them less tedious, though, so there's that.
I think I'm quite enjoying myself.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Just finished Chapter 2, and while that was a sweet as hell Star Fox section, the actual boss fight (and subsequent killing of Four) was kind of lackluster. Except the music. Holy poo poo, Armoros's theme is loving amazing. I'm also very quickly finding myself with way less money than I'd like, these weapons aren't going to upgrade themselves!

All in all though, game is way better than I was expecting it be based on what everyone said before release. Yeah, the framerate sucks, and yeah, aerial combat's pretty blah, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I kinda want to try the original Drakengard after this, depending. I have a close friend who quite enjoyed it, despite its tedium.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god the frame rate in chapter Four is just awful. This has to be some sort of sick joke, why would you put a game which has framerate issues against just two enemies sometimes in a huge loving desert? What made you do this? I mean, it's pretty funny you went that far to make the game bad, but it's really obnoxious to play in. This is not mentioning the stage gimmick for that section is really bad. Also Zero is still really bad, oh man.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
This... is definitely a Cavia game alright.

I kind of like its low budget charm even if I can admit that the gameplay itself leaves much to be desired. Seems like Wada could only let Taro have a budget that even MacGuyver wouldn't be able to work with, but eh. I play Cavia games more for the masochistic experience, as there is no team that actively detests its players more than the Cavia bunch.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's got some amazingly bad framerate drops, all over the place. And screen tearing. And loading. And texture pop-ins. And loading.

I know Access Games have never been that great, but this is so badly optimised. Kinda mixed on the voices at the moment. Zero's VA is growing on me though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh okay, so the screen tearing wasn't just me then. God this game is loving trash, there's something compelling about it though. I want to go as deep into the rabbit hole as possible and see how bad it can get.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Oh okay, so the screen tearing wasn't just me then. God this game is loving trash, there's something compelling about it though. I want to go as deep into the rabbit hole as possible and see how bad it can get.

Welcome to Cavia

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Guys.

Guys.

Stop making me want to reinstall Nier.

Stop it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nier's a great game, why wouldn't you want to replay it?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Accordion Man posted:

Nier's a great game, why wouldn't you want to replay it?

Mostly because I've hit this point where I'm finding that I'm replaying old games rather than actually playing the new games that I've already bought. Dark Souls 2 and Stick of Truth are both about an hour away from completion but I can't be bothered since I'm in the midst of an Alpha Protocol replay. And then all this Drakengard 3 talk gets me thinking about how great Nier was...

I was sort of hoping the thread would talk me into D3 but... not yet.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It's funny because being able to understand all of the moment-to-moment dialog is making me like the game a lot more (surprising!). Won't be long though until I reach those later requests and all happiness disappears from my life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pesky Splinter posted:

Zero's VA is growing on me though.

I haven't listened to the Japanese audio but the American VA is killing it. She sounds perfectly "whatever, gently caress you too" all the time. It's kind of magic.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's got some amazingly bad framerate drops, all over the place. And screen tearing. And loading. And texture pop-ins. And loading.

I'm honestly not getting any of that, aside from the slightly excessive load times. The game runs beautifully on my machine. It's an earlier generation PS3, so could that be the reason?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BattleCattle posted:

I'm honestly not getting any of that, aside from the slightly excessive load times. The game runs beautifully on my machine. It's an earlier generation PS3, so could that be the reason?

The digital version isn't giving me load time issues, but I cannot imagine you're not getting the framerate drops. I've never seen a game with actual "single digit" FPS before but the dragon section at the end of Chapter 1 did in fact go to single digits for a brief moment when something exploded.

Screen jagging I'm not seeing much of though.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

precision posted:

The digital version isn't giving me load time issues, but I cannot imagine you're not getting the framerate drops. I've never seen a game with actual "single digit" FPS before but the dragon section at the end of Chapter 1 did in fact go to single digits for a brief moment when something exploded.

Screen jagging I'm not seeing much of though.

The only framedrops I got were in the first dual-screen closeups on the characters, and it's since fixed itself. It handles explosions well, even when I fill the screen with 'em. Maybe I have the model PS3 that they were allowed to optimize for? Maybe it just plays well with it for reasons unknown? I dunno.

EDIT: I'm using the disk.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 21, 2014

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

I wish my CE would arrive already. It's been sitting in shipping limbo since last Thursday saying it was being "transferred to USPS" and I'm just hoping it didn't get lost in some dusty corner of the post office.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BattleCattle posted:

Dunno. I've reset the console, and it seems to be working better now. The screen tear seems to occur mostly during the parts where you have Mikhail bombard the area, and in quite a few of the cutscenes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have had the screen tearing occur while I was standing still scrolling the camera, it is weird.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

everythingWasBees posted:

I kinda want to try the original Drakengard after this, depending. I have a close friend who quite enjoyed it, despite its tedium.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Hahaha.

Do it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Hahaha.

Do it.

It'll have to wait until July, friend, when I go back to my dad's house. I'll grab the PS2 and play the Drakengard.
I guess this is a toxx?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It'll have to wait until July, friend, when I go back to my dad's house. I'll grab the PS2 and play the Drakengard.
I guess this is a toxx?

If you're dead set on it, I'm not gonna stop ya.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
CE just arrived. The book is pretty.
So, is this game preforming better on older systems or newer systems?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

If you're dead set on it, I'm not gonna stop ya.

It'll be fun to try, and if I don't like it, I can always stop playing.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Kortel posted:

is this game preforming better on older systems or newer systems?

I have an older model from about 2011 and I have no technical complaints, though there is the possibility that my PS3 is haunted, and the benevolent specter is making the game run smoothly.

Edit: I also don't have any digital games on it, so maybe that's helping. I'm mystified.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 21, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

It'll be fun to try, and if I don't like it, I can always stop playing.

Both these things are wrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just got to chapter 2. So far the framerate has been pretty decent, most of the time. Only times it's gotten real bad were the split-screen cutscene with Five and when Mikhail does a carpet bomb attack on the field. The gameplay's a tad simple, but pretty fun. Love how stupid the disciple AI is, with Dito constantly running straight into walls.

e: Also archers are dickbags.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 22, 2014

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Welp I went and bought this since Taro Yoko insanity is something I'd like to experience first hand for a change. The Dark Id is a jerk.

Mikhail is adorable. :3:

...They're gonna horribly murder him in most of the endings, aren't they...?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Nohman posted:

Welp I went and bought this since Taro Yoko insanity is something I'd like to experience first hand for a change. The Dark Id is a jerk.

Mikhail is adorable. :3:

...They're gonna horribly murder him in most of the endings, aren't they...?

Would it be Drakengard if they didn't?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Midway through Verse 2. I am enjoying the adventures of a murderous lunatic and her mentally disabled dragon friend. :3:

Does weapon size make any appreciable difference in this one or not? I am not good at comparison.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Alopex posted:

Midway through Verse 2. I am enjoying the adventures of a murderous lunatic and her mentally disabled dragon friend. :3:

Does weapon size make any appreciable difference in this one or not? I am not good at comparison.

Affects your reach and I've noticed that certain sizes tend to share move-sets and specials.

Of course I can't be too sure of that last bit since I've been sticking to a few weapons that I like until I can find some really good grind missions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am seriously enjoying the hell out of this. It's nowhere close to the slog of the first game with its giant fuckoff maps and oh god I'm getting flashbacks :catdrugs:

Would have been better at a $30 price point but I'm fine with supporting insane developers. Like, this is certainly a better "game" than, say, Deadly Premonition (which I also enjoyed, of course).

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Alopex posted:

From the weapons I have, large swords tend to have short 2 hit combos and smaller swords have longer combos. Most hits will stun an enemy so I go for bigger combos.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Aaaaaargh where is the last chest in 3-4

oh and also Octa's rad and punchyfists are rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I just realized that weapon stories are back. :yayclod:
They're just as wonderful as in the first game.

• Locked thread