Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Ohvee posted:

My favorite show to fall asleep to, "How It's Made", is back on Netflix. Only season 13 right now, but I'll take what I can get.

This show was like catnip for burned out college students during exam time. You'd walk into a normally busy lunchroom with a tv and this on, and everyone would become transfixed on a machine that made toothpicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Philosopher King posted:

This show was like catnip for burned out college students during exam time. You'd walk into a normally busy lunchroom with a tv and this on, and everyone would become transfixed on a machine that made toothpicks.

Not netflix, but you inspired me to watch this for the first time in 20 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMU-wXsgyR8

You may also remember the Mr. Rogers version. It calms me even now as an adult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59e7WYd24gI

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TryAgainBragg posted:

Except now he's just pigeonedholed as the guy who makes horrible films

While my sister was in film school she was an ardent defender of Shyamalan at the height of the 'WHAT A TWIST!' jokes. She was adamant that it was the studio's fault that he was pigeonholed as the 'WHAT A TWIST!' guy and that his next film would prove he was a great director because he would be given much more creative freedom with an R-rated movie. That movie was The Happening.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

red19fire posted:

While my sister was in film school she was an ardent defender of Shyamalan at the height of the 'WHAT A TWIST!' jokes. She was adamant that it was the studio's fault that he was pigeonholed as the 'WHAT A TWIST!' guy and that his next film would prove he was a great director because he would be given much more creative freedom with an R-rated movie. That movie was The Happening.

Yeah, sadly after the Happening and Last Airbender there isn't much to defend, and I say that as a fan of Signs and Unbreakable. Him saying that people hated Airbender because he filmed it in a "european style" was just the last shovel of dirt landing on his coffin.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

red19fire posted:

So I guess end of story she turned out to be right because THE HAPPENING loving owns.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

red19fire posted:

That's an awesome story, I especially like the twist ending.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TryAgainBragg posted:

Yeah, sadly after the Happening and Last Airbender there isn't much to defend, and I say that as a fan of Signs and Unbreakable. Him saying that people hated Airbender because he filmed it in a "european style" was just the last shovel of dirt landing on his coffin.

You left out Lady In the Water. What a piece of poo poo that was.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
I could never bring myself to watch it, but yeah, from what I've heard its complete poo poo. The Village was also a pooper. The man seriously just hasn't done anything even remotely mediocre since Signs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was trying so hard to like that movie and then the scene with the boom mic in it happened and I just :unsmigghh:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TryAgainBragg posted:

I could never bring myself to watch it, but yeah, from what I've heard its complete poo poo. The Village was also a pooper. The man seriously just hasn't done anything even remotely mediocre since Signs.

He's had one good film which was Sixth Sense, which wasn't even all that good. Everything since has been utter garbage.

Speaking of garbage, there's a Nic Cage/John Cusack film just been added that I'd never heard of, called Frozen Ground, a true story about some guy in Alaska who killed some women. Could have been excellent, but Cage just isn't good enough to play a character like the one he plays here and I found myself rooting for everyone except him. Cusack is pretty good, in a Cusack kind of way, and Vanessa Hudgens is really good as one of the killer's victims. Overall it's probably worth a watch if you like that kind of thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

At least things happened in that one, though.

The twist of The Happening was in the loving name of the film.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

At least things happened in that one, though.

The twist of The Happening was in the loving name of the film.

It wasn't even a twist, it was a plot development.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He's had one good film which was Sixth Sense, which wasn't even all that good. Everything since has been utter garbage.

Lies. Unbreakable was a great movie that put the comic book world into a straight-up drama years before that became fashionable. It's definitely his best. Everything after Unbreakable sucks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It wasn't even a twist, it was a plot development.

Exactly. The twist was that it wasn't a twist.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ohvee posted:

My favorite show to fall asleep to, "How It's Made", is back on Netflix. Only season 13 right now, but I'll take what I can get.
Spoken like someone who hasn't seen Aerial America (season 1 is on Netflix).

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The scene in Signs where Phoenix is watching the newscast of the birthday party and an alien walks by is really loving goofy when I watch it on YouTube out of context.

But God drat is it amazing in context. Very rarely have I seen a jump scare (and it's hardly even a jump scare) get earned so hard by a movie.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Also - holy gently caress - closed caption on that russian dude's documentary on youtube is totally helpful.

Slavoj Zizek: a Russian name

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Speaking of garbage, there's a Nic Cage/John Cusack film just been added that I'd never heard of, called Frozen Ground, a true story about some guy in Alaska who killed some women. Could have been excellent, but Cage just isn't good enough to play a character like the one he plays here and I found myself rooting for everyone except him. Cusack is pretty good, in a Cusack kind of way, and Vanessa Hudgens is really good as one of the killer's victims. Overall it's probably worth a watch if you like that kind of thing.

I popped this one on last night because Nic Cage, and was disappointed to see that he basically phoned in the movie. The big surprise for me was Cusack, who is actually pretty believable as a middle-aged serial killer. My main complaint, though, is that the script needed to be about 300% less wordy.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

Spoken like someone who hasn't seen Aerial America (season 1 is on Netflix).
... drat, you're right. This looks amazing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Slavoj Zizek: a Russian name
Get with the times! It's Cold War II! If someone has a weird sounding name but they're white, that means they're a communist, which means they're a Russian.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Just watched Universal Soldier and really enjoyed it. It's definitely a Terminator 2 clone but it has some good comedic moments and some great action. I only wish it was more violent.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Flython posted:

Just watched Universal Soldier and really enjoyed it. It's definitely a Terminator 2 clone but it has some good comedic moments and some great action. I only wish it was more violent.

Hang on, did you watch Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, the one on Netflix, and wish it was more violent? :stare:

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hang on, did you watch Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, the one on Netflix, and wish it was more violent? :stare:

The original one, I'm really excited about Day of Reckoning now though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ohvee posted:

... drat, you're right. This looks amazing.
It is amazing, for the five minutes you can keep your eyes open.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Flython posted:

The original one, I'm really excited about Day of Reckoning now though.

You should be.

The original Universal Soldier is still a pretty violent movie, though. It's been a while since I've seen it, but at the end of the film doesn't Dolph Lundgren get fed through some farm equipment? I was a teenage boy when I watched it and I remember having my bloodthirst well and truly slaked.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

You should be.

The original Universal Soldier is still a pretty violent movie, though. It's been a while since I've seen it, but at the end of the film doesn't Dolph Lundgren get fed through some farm equipment? I was a teenage boy when I watched it and I remember having my bloodthirst well and truly slaked.

You're right and it was totally awesome, the majority of the deaths in the film are just to gunshots however. I guess I wanted my regenerating super soldiers to be pulling people apart while surviving incredible punishment themselves. Thinking back I really do like the tone the movie set for itself so I'm not to torn up about it.

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002

Flython posted:

You're right and it was totally awesome, the majority of the deaths in the film are just to gunshots however. I guess I wanted my regenerating super soldiers to be pulling people apart while surviving incredible punishment themselves. Thinking back I really do like the tone the movie set for itself so I'm not to torn up about it.

I saw it in the theater as a teen and flipped my wig when they were running down the dam in the opening rescue scene. I didn't care if it was practical or not, but at that moment I knew that these were indeed supersoldiers.

Edit, I was 22 when that came out? I could have sworn I was like 16. Oh well, it was and is still badass.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I haven't seen the original, but I did watch Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, and it is awesome. The fight in the store is the most exciting example of a protagonist "coming into his powers" (probably a better term for this, but idk) that I've ever seen. The entire movie had a sort of dreamy confusion to it, punctuated by moments of extreme violence, culminating in the slaughter through the base to JCVD in makeup for no reason I could see, which was appropriate given the protagonist was apparently a clone whose brain had been tampered with. A very memorable movie, and I actually have avoided watching others in the franchise for fear they'll explain too much of the backstory and spoil the effect.

Actually, in writing this post I've realized its my favorite action movie. Huh.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

EkardNT posted:

I haven't seen the original, but I did watch Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, and it is awesome. The fight in the store is the most exciting example of a protagonist "coming into his powers" (probably a better term for this, but idk) that I've ever seen. The entire movie had a sort of dreamy confusion to it, punctuated by moments of extreme violence, culminating in the slaughter through the base to JCVD in makeup for no reason I could see, which was appropriate given the protagonist was apparently a clone whose brain had been tampered with. A very memorable movie, and I actually have avoided watching others in the franchise for fear they'll explain too much of the backstory and spoil the effect.

Day of Reckoning is tangentially related to the other movies only through the "engineered super soldiers" concept. You're missing out if you don't watch Regeneration. It's a very different movie, but very good in its own way.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I contend that M. Night Shyamalan isn't a lovely director, he's a lovely writer. His movies are beautiful with great shots and lighting and cool framing and camera angles. He's comparable to George Lucas: Great talent and vision, but needs someone to tell him when his stuff is really loving stupid before committing it to film.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

I contend that M. Night Shyamalan isn't a lovely director, he's a lovely writer. His movies are beautiful with great shots and lighting and cool framing and camera angles. He's comparable to George Lucas: Great talent and vision, but needs someone to tell him when his stuff is really loving stupid before committing it to film.

I don't know man, I haven't watched Last Airbender, but the clips I've seen from it are shockingly terrible looking. I agree that his earlier movies look good though.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

LloydDobler posted:

I contend that M. Night Shyamalan isn't a lovely director, he's a lovely writer. His movies are beautiful with great shots and lighting and cool framing and camera angles.

Maybe not so much recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RpgbZcHk_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2HWDys9bdg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

I don't know man, I haven't watched Last Airbender, but the clips I've seen from it are shockingly terrible looking. I agree that his earlier movies look good though.

It is a painfully poorly directed film. So is The Village. Unbreakable, though, is certainly legit in pretty much every way.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

marktheando posted:

In theory, that could just mean that he blows at CGI-driven films AS WELL AS writing (again, just like Lucas).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

You know, I quite like After Earth and think it looks pretty good most of the time but that scene is just shocking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love Unbreakable and it bums me out that his moviemaking has gone so wrong following that. Signs was ok too, in parts.

I wanted a sequel to Unbreakable but knew it really shouldn't happen.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just based on the topic of discussion, it took me until he jumped off the cliff to realize Will wasn't supposed to be right across from Jaden and it wasn't just horribly, horribly cut together.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Get with the times! It's Cold War II! If someone has a weird sounding name but they're white, that means they're a communist, which means they're a Russian.

Slobjob Zoobooks is a pretty funny name, it's no more racist than making fun of Benadryl Cumquatpatch.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

EkardNT posted:

You should check out Only God Forgives, it's very similar in tone to Day of Reckoning and I think you'd like it for a lot of the same reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Slobjob Zoobooks is a pretty funny name, it's no more racist than making fun of Benadryl Cumquatpatch.

You mean Bernard Cummerbund? I just watched Star Trek 2 Into Darkness again last night. Maybe it was the wine but I enjoyed it more this time, really thought it sucked when I saw it in theaters. It's dumb and full of plot holes but really pretty good in all other regards.

Original Wrath of Khan is still way better.

• Locked thread