Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

coronaball posted:

What a shame, I was gonna buy a pallet full. Guess I'll wait on the home depot price/limits.

The limit is apparently not in place if you order online and pick up in store as far as I can tell, want to confirm by placing an order but want to wait and see what Home Depot's price is tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Martello posted:

So my wife was sweet enough to buy me a smoker for my birthday.

Only problem, it's a Brinkmann square upright. I've done two smokes with it and it seems impossible to keep the temp above 200. I know that's fine for some things, but obviously I would like to be able to get it hotter. So far the only mod I've made was to drill a bunch of holes in the charcoal pan. Any other suggestions for getting this thing to work better?

Replace the hearing element if it is easily accessible. Make sure the door is making a good seal all around so you aren't leaking hat from somewhere.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

Replace the hearing element...

What did you say??

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Bone_Enterprise posted:

What did you say??

Heating... stupid phone...

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

Heating... stupid phone...

That's nice dear, don't forget your jacket.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Crazyeyes posted:

Replace the hearing element if it is easily accessible. Make sure the door is making a good seal all around so you aren't leaking hat from somewhere.

It's charcoal, so no element, hearing or heating. What can I use to seal the doors? I definitely don't want to leak hat.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Martello posted:

It's charcoal, so no element, hearing or heating. What can I use to seal the doors? I definitely don't want to leak hat.

Oh I thought you were talking one if those electric thermostat controlled deals. Like the masterbuilt ones.

If it's one if those little bullets, I recommend the following.

1. Dig a hole.
2. Throw smoker in hole.
3. Buy a well built smoker.

Buy seriously. Check the body section. Chances are good you'll find a seam line where it is riveted together. Check this seam for any distortions or gaps. Ideally the body should have no distortions and be as close to perfectly cylindrical as possible. Many of the lower end ones I've seen have a really nasty crease at the rivets that will leak smoke and heat like a sieve. You can get high temp silicon gasket stuff and pipe it in to fill holes/seal it up. Shoring up the body section will go a long way to getting more stable heat. Also make sure the lid sits well on the body. If the body is warped and there is a poor foot between it and the lid you will lose a lot of heat. Good way to check this is starting sine charcoal in it and looking at where the spoke is escaping.

In the whole, though, those little guys are trouble as they are made of very thin and malleable materials that will not his the heat in very efficiently. I am sure myself and others could give you some tips as far as missing this one to operate better but effort/cost may just make buying a higher quality smoker more worthwhile.

I remember when I had one of those little 50-100$ guys. They ate nice for getting your feet wet but if this is something you actually want to do, I'd recommend buying something more substantial (unless you want to seriously work to make this one work well)

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 21, 2014

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Martello posted:

Look at this website: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104545

Brinkmann's aren't great smokers when you first get them. But a lot of people have had success after modifying them. It sounds like your charcoal may be getting buried in ash. I don't know how the modifications will affect the square design (they used to be cylindrical). You could put in the money for a WSM, but I don't think it's necessary.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Yea... everything I said was for a cylinder. A square one I feel like would be a bit more difficult to mod. All I can say us make sure everything is sealed well and ensure good ventilation/air flow.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Crazyeyes posted:

I remember when I had one of those little 50-100$ guys. They ate nice for getting your feet wet but if this is something you actually want to do, I'd recommend buying something more substantial (unless you want to seriously work to make this one work well)

Unfortunately, this isn't a good option for me right now. While I could afford a WSM, since my wife got it for my as a birthday gift I kind of can't trash the thing without pissing her off and hurting her feelings. She already thinks I don't like it since I was talking to her dad about ways to make it work better, so I really need to get this thing bangin away to keep her happy.

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Look at this website: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104545

Brinkmann's aren't great smokers when you first get them. But a lot of people have had success after modifying them. It sounds like your charcoal may be getting buried in ash. I don't know how the modifications will affect the square design (they used to be cylindrical). You could put in the money for a WSM, but I don't think it's necessary.

That link is great, thanks. I'll do some more work on it this weekend. I love Memorial Day 4-days. :mil101:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Martello posted:

Unfortunately, this isn't a good option for me right now. While I could afford a WSM, since my wife got it for my as a birthday gift I kind of can't trash the thing without pissing her off and hurting her feelings. She already thinks I don't like it since I was talking to her dad about ways to make it work better, so I really need to get this thing bangin away to keep her happy.

This is why you have to namedrop specific products for your wife to buy you! :)

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Bone_Enterprise posted:

The limit is apparently not in place if you order online and pick up in store as far as I can tell, want to confirm by placing an order but want to wait and see what Home Depot's price is tomorrow.

The limit was in place last year technically, and after going through twice, the cashier just told me to grab as much as I wanted and don't worry about the "limit". Ended up with 400 lbs of charcoal in the back of my Subaru.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

DJCobol posted:

The limit was in place last year technically, and after going through twice, the cashier just told me to grab as much as I wanted and don't worry about the "limit". Ended up with 400 lbs of charcoal in the back of my Subaru.

Nice, that is going to be me today as I plan on getting 10 bags as well.
Home Depot is doing $9.88 a bag as per the update to my post, was hoping they would go a dollar lower, but hey was planning on buying it anyhow.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

With the advent of the charcoal sales, I am looking for a method of outdoor storage. Garage is occupied so can't store a couple hundred pounds of charcoal there.

How do you folk store your massive hoards of black fire?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

With the advent of the charcoal sales, I am looking for a method of outdoor storage. Garage is occupied so can't store a couple hundred pounds of charcoal there.

How do you folk store your massive hoards of black fire?

In the add-on room I have attached to the garage, in the attic, and or the shed in my backyard.

On further thought I should get 400# for each storage area.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have zero dry storage around the house so my sad two bags from the sale end up living in the back of my car.

Soon I am going to switch to all hardwood for grilling, which I usually have piles and piles of.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martello posted:

That link is great, thanks. I'll do some more work on it this weekend. I love Memorial Day 4-days. :mil101:

Why is it that some of us are more concerned with making sure the gift giver is happy that they got us the right gift that we are about enjoying the gift itself. I'm the same way. It seems counter productive in the Darwinian sense.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

jonathan posted:

It seems counter productive in the Darwinian sense.

Actually, it seems productive in the Darwinian sense: unhappy mate = fewer chances to reproduce.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

VERTiG0 posted:

This is why you have to namedrop specific products for your wife to buy you! :)

I did, but for some reason she got the misconception that the WSM was over 500 bucks and didn't buy it for that reason.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Martello posted:

I did, but for some reason she got the misconception that the WSM was over 500 bucks and didn't buy it for that reason.

The 18.5" model is 300 and worth every penny. I occasionally long for the larger version but for most anything done ibn a back yard the 18.5 handles with ease.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Crazyeyes posted:

The 18.5" model is 300 and worth every penny. I occasionally long for the larger version but for most anything done ibn a back yard the 18.5 handles with ease.

Couldn't agree more with this. I got mine for Christmas and have already gotten plenty of use out of it. Getting better with it each time...

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I know this isn't about smoking, but we don't really have a proper grilling thread, I think, and this is the closest thing to it...

I picked up a Weber Smokey Joe Gold to use down at the cottage for shits and giggles, and after trying it out this past weekend it definitely needs some 'mods.' It just wouldn't get hot enough for my liking to do steaks properly. I've found a technique that uses tinfoil to route air from one side-vent so it goes underneath the charcoal instead of just sucking across the top, so I'll give that a whirl.

Anyone else have a Smokey Joe?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You could try using a fan or hairdryer. Lump charcoal will burn hotter than briquettes too

jason
Jul 25, 2002

Any word on Memorial Day sales for Royal Oak lump? I thought I remember Wal-Mart or somewhere running Memorial Day sales on it in the past.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Walmart just did a sale on it, Home Depot now carries it and matched.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Crazyeyes posted:

A few days ago at WalMart I found out that they make a 14.5" WSM for $199. Have they always had that, or is it new?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

VERTiG0 posted:

Anyone else have a Smokey Joe?

Ive got a smokey Joe Gold, but I converted it into a mini WSM.

If you have the silver, it has the holes on the bottom, which are probably getting clogged by ash. I've seen people put small bowls with holes all around to keep ash from restricting air flow. The gold has the vents farther up on the sides so it doesn't have that problem. People are divided on which is best for grilling vs smoking. My opinion is the Gold is better for smoking and the silver is better for grilling.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

nummy posted:

A few days ago at WalMart I found out that they make a 14.5" WSM for $199. Have they always had that, or is it new?

I've seen those around. I honestly think a 14.5 would be too restricted. My 18.5 can (and has) handle whole turkeys and packers without much, if any, issue. I don't think a 14.5 version could handle what it needs to.

That said a 14.5 would be just about the perfect size to do a pork butt on while conserving charcoal and space.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I've seen those around. I honestly think a 14.5 would be too restricted. My 18.5 can (and has) handle whole turkeys and packers without much, if any, issue. I don't think a 14.5 version could handle what it needs to.

That said a 14.5 would be just about the perfect size to do a pork butt on while conserving charcoal and space.

This is basically the universal view on the 14.5" WSM. In terms of quality, it's the same as the others. But it's too small for brisket and other large cuts of meat (which in all honesty, you are most likely going to be smoking outside of chicken and turkey).

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Hi:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

960lbs of charcoal

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

960lbs of charcoal

800# actually, think I should be set for a bit.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Bone_Enterprise posted:

800# actually, think I should be set for a bit.

Indeed. I miscounted the rows, for I am a retard.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Looks like someone's wife didn't know to buy them lump charcoal :colbert:

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

sellouts posted:

Thanks for assuming I have a wife, truth is however that I do not care about the whole lump over briquettes debate.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

My petition to remove all my wife's gardening poo poo out of our shed and fill it to the brim with charcoal has been considered and summarily rejected. I'll probably end up with only 10 bags or so. That should last the summer at least. I think they do another sale on Labor Day, but not quite as good.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

sellouts posted:

I was about to say "bbbbut briquettes burn for longer when smoking", but instead read this first and decided the charcoal products I've been using weren't that good.

Thankfully the field I rent has just been coppiced for a power line, and I now have a metric tonne of oak.

Think I'll be going pure hardwood for the first time!

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 23, 2014

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
drat, all this charcoal talk made me check the home depot site. $10 for a 2 pack of 20 pound bags. Jesus Christ.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

davey4283 posted:

drat, all this charcoal talk made me check the home depot site. $10 for a 2 pack of 20 pound bags. Jesus Christ.

HD and Lowes do these sales every grilling holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Well, since it is a long weekend, I'm smoking up a 14lb brisket. I also took advantage of the Lowe's charcoal sale, but only bought 120 lbs of charcoal since I don't grill as often apparently as all of you guys.

Here is the brisket:

Here it is seasoned and trimmed a little:

Gonna throw on some chickens and a fillet of salmon sometime early afternoon tomorrow for the strange people who don't want brisket.