Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
If he re-signs with Detroit he'll immediately get suspended for half the season for punching an opposing coach. If he signs with another team he'll get like 14 sacks and set a record for TFLs. That's how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
News: Seahawks visit the white house and Obama makes some silly jokes. Pete Carroll does not appear to ask him about 9/11. Marshawn Lynch does not attend.

Views: When is this team gonna get some national attention? loving east coast bias.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Lynch didn't attend because if the Broncos had won they would have been invited to the White House instead so gently caress that

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shiksa posted:

And what, play soccer in the meanwhile? Actually that'd be amazing.

The White Sox have probably the smartest location they could possibly have on the south side. They're literally right next to a train station so scared white people can hop off, go to the game, hop on, and get back to Lincoln Park.

I'm surprised every time I go there that there isn't a pedway directly from the stadium to the train, so that you don't have to brave walking past black people on the streets.

Back to the NFL, Soldier Field is freaking far from mass transit, so if it's the best there is that's pathetic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rice is getting no jail time and a year of community service, and if he completes it, won't even be convicted. Nor will he face even a game of suspension.

Meanwhile RIP Josh Gordon's career

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Sweeney Tom posted:

Rice is getting no jail time and a year of community service, and if he completes it, won't even be convicted. Nor will he face even a game of suspension.

Meanwhile RIP Josh Gordon's career

you see smoking weed affects the sanctity of the game in these ways;

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

SlipUp posted:

He could have refused to sign and had his pick of a dozen teams who would have eventually given him a monster contract. Maybe a mil here or there doesn't matter all that much for the kinda crazy multimillionaire???

If you're talking about Suh being drafted, I'm pretty sure that isn't how it works. IIRC, his draft rights remain with the team until the next draft at which point he's eligible to be drafted again. What you're describing would basically make the draft and especially the new rookie wage scale obsolete if players just could wait a little bit and be free to sign with anyone.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it goes something like that.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Schwack posted:

News: Seahawks visit the white house and Obama makes some silly jokes. Pete Carroll does not appear to ask him about 9/11. Marshawn Lynch does not attend.

Views: When is this team gonna get some national attention? loving east coast bias.

Obama is a 12th man:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Carroll has the embarrassing "not sure what to do with hands" pose.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

He's feeling for any loose change in his pockets

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quest For Glory II posted:

He was hoping to be close enough to hoverhands the president, but the secret service wasn't having any of it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's checking for bugs or possibly attempting to dust off chemtrail residue.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I used to push my pants down whenever I had an inopportune boner

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Jeez, was Percy Harvin THAT important?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

I used to push my pants down whenever I had an inopportune boner

No such thing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

gohuskies posted:

Obama is a 12th man:

This has potential, you just need to photoshop something onto the 12 flag.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Dattserberg posted:

If you're talking about Suh being drafted, I'm pretty sure that isn't how it works. IIRC, his draft rights remain with the team until the next draft at which point he's eligible to be drafted again. What you're describing would basically make the draft and especially the new rookie wage scale obsolete if players just could wait a little bit and be free to sign with anyone.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it goes something like that.

Yet it happened this very decade!

I mean, all of this is true, sure. But do you see the Detroit lions sitting on the best defensive prospect of the draft (maybe ever depending who you asked at the time.) for a year just to see him go with nothing to show for it in return? For what, spite, pride? Someone would've been willing to trade for him or draft him next year. They would've taken anything over nothing.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

commy gun posted:

Jeez, was Percy Harvin THAT important?

I laughed way harder than I should have at that.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Great White Hope posted:

tribute.avi

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Great White Hope posted:

The burning twin towers.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hahahahaha amazing

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SlipUp posted:

I mean, all of this is true, sure. But do you see the Detroit lions sitting on the best defensive prospect of the draft (maybe ever depending who you asked at the time.) for a year just to see him go with nothing to show for it in return? For what, spite, pride? Someone would've been willing to trade for him or draft him next year. They would've taken anything over nothing.

Because it's a massive red flag. And Suh would have to agree to the new team.

Owners would instruct their GMs not to allow that behavior to go unpunished because it hurts the bottom line. You're insane if you think he'd get traded to New England for their first round pick or something stupid because then it's showing people they can get away with it. No way no how.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

SlipUp posted:

Who are you referring to?

Could it happen? Sure. Would it? I really don't know, but we have yet to see that situation play out. So it's not like players are forcing a teams hand as they please right out of the draft.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Because it's a massive red flag. And Suh would have to agree to the new team.

Owners would instruct their GMs not to allow that behavior to go unpunished because it hurts the bottom line. You're insane if you think he'd get traded to New England for their first round pick or something stupid because then it's showing people they can get away with it. No way no how.

Those Chargers sure showed that Eli Manning and all his red flags!

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I also remember fondly all those years TO spent on the Ravens because of how teams always have total control of a player's market value and are totally willing to eat some picks and some cap just to make a point. Good thing FO never have to worry about losing their job over an unpopular decision.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
And who would dare retire to void contractual obligations and (almost) immediately sign with whatever team you like? Totally unethical, I'm sure anyone who did that would be immediately blackballed from the league!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

SlipUp posted:

And who would dare retire to void contractual obligations and (almost) immediately sign with whatever team you like? Totally unethical, I'm sure anyone who did that would be immediately blackballed from the league!

After Favre "retired" didn't he have to formally request the Packers to void his contract to sign with the Jets? They still held rights to his service, retirement isn't a "get out of contract free" button.

I mean it was real scummy of him to pretend like he wasn't going to play for the Vikings for like one second but whatever.

E: I was wrong, the Packers traded him, the Jets released him from his contract after he retired the second time. He still would've been obligated to the Jets had they not done that though.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 21, 2014

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Schwack posted:

The burning twin towers.

I tried...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Instead of burning twin towers can someone photoshop handlebar mustaches on all of them? That would be most delightful.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

shiksa posted:

After Favre "retired" didn't he have to formally request the Packers to void his contract to sign with the Jets? They still held rights to his service, retirement isn't a "get out of contract free" button.

I mean it was real scummy of him to pretend like he wasn't going to play for the Vikings for like one second but whatever.

Sure, it's not the easiest thing to do but it's not "No way no how" like aaadolf put it. I'm sure if Suh did it people would be pissed and some teams might change their minds on him, but there would be someone willing to take a shot on him. He could do it as long as money and maybe public perception are of no concern. (I really doubt Suh cares overly about either of those things.)

So if you have the desire and you're good enough, you can game the system if you're willing to make sacrifices.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

SlipUp posted:

Sure, it's not the easiest thing to do but it's not "No way no how" like aaadolf put it. I'm sure if Suh did it people would be pissed and some teams might change their minds on him, but there would be someone willing to take a shot on him. He could do it as long as money and maybe public perception are of no concern. (I really doubt Suh cares overly about either of those things.)

So if you have the desire and you're good enough, you can game the system if you're willing to make sacrifices.

Oh, yeah, I mean if you're willing to salt the earth you can do whatever, but as far as draftees go, there's less real options than a veteran like Favre who just wants to get out and skullfuck Green Bay twice a year. A draftee can get out of a place, but they can't really have free pick over where they go. Manning and Elway got traded, the new team still being out of their direct control, and Bo Jackson just told the Bucs to kick rocks while he played baseball, and got drafted again the next year.

Elway and Bo at least had the threat of baseball, Eli was just being a sniveling brat about it, I really don't know what his leverage was.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Jim :smith::unsmith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Russell Wilson's ex sure moved fast. :stare:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

shiksa posted:

Elway and Bo at least had the threat of baseball, Eli was just being a sniveling brat about it, I really don't know what his leverage was.
His leverage was his last name, and the fact that the Chargers recognized who the superior quarterback was

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

shiksa posted:

Oh, yeah, I mean if you're willing to salt the earth you can do whatever, but as far as draftees go, there's less real options than a veteran like Favre who just wants to get out and skullfuck Green Bay twice a year. A draftee can get out of a place, but they can't really have free pick over where they go. Manning and Elway got traded, the new team still being out of their direct control, and Bo Jackson just told the Bucs to kick rocks while he played baseball, and got drafted again the next year.

You assert a recent draft pick couldn't do what Farve did, but you don't have any real reasons why. There's still sinking a cost over an essentially meaningless statement. What team would dedicate one of their 53 man roster spots so they could not recognize a player's retirement? What's more important, winning or anything else?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

His leverage was his last name, and the fact that the Chargers recognized who the superior quarterback was

Which is why the Giants had to throw in draft picks for a trade.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 21, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

SlipUp posted:

You assert a recent draft pick couldn't do what Farve did, but you don't have any real reasons why.

Because then a team would have to completely relinquish his draft rights instead of trading him. I'm talking totally new in the NFL, no contract signed anywhere, if a player doesn't want to play for a team, he can demand a trade of his draft rights, but where he goes is up to the team. The team has absolutely no incentive to relinquish his draft rights.

I might be wrong, but suppose Jadeveon Clowney absolutely refused to play for the Texans and didn't sign a contract until he was out of there. He doesn't count against the roster number because he's not signed, and he can't sign with another team until his rights are traded or relinquished, right?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

shiksa posted:

Because then a team would have to completely relinquish his draft rights instead of trading him. I'm talking totally new in the NFL, no contract signed anywhere, if a player doesn't want to play for a team, he can demand a trade of his draft rights, but where he goes is up to the team. The team has absolutely no incentive to relinquish his draft rights.

He could sign first and then retire. These three situations were brought up in the context of situations where a player got to pick their own team sans FA. If we're strictly talking unsigned Suh it would've been more of an Eli or even TO type of situation.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SlipUp posted:

Boy for someone who triple posts a bunch of smug poo poo that simply repeats your conclusion with predetermined hypotheticals to back it up you certainly wouldn't want to understand how contracts work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Your triple post of smug somehow skipped over Bo Jackson and how he... Oh he fell.

quote:

Uh this isn't how that worked

• Locked thread