Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Alpenglow posted:

He's supposedly 5, and is doing very well so far! Big, playful fellow with generally good manners. :3:

Hulk

Does anyone else's black cat look jet black normally but shades of brown in sunlight? Mine does and I always thought it was a quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mine does.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Mine does as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think it's because genetically, they're not really black. The black gene is really just super dark brown. Isn't it that the black/blue gene is a 'true' black, like in Russian Blues or something? I dunno, let's get a fancier with a more functional understanding of genetics in here.

edit: This seems to have a basic explanation of what i'm trying to get at. http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib162/Week3a.htm

Have some black cat, somewhat black rabbit, and some weird kinda black ducks.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 23, 2014

the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

It never did anything, it just stood there, being small and yellow...I couldn't pass if The Yellow Dog was there.
The best part of black cats are black paw pads:

Anyway, I love this thread. It's a great way to showcase the dignity and beauty of black ca-

Oh, hey there Binners.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Norman Reedus with his cat Eye in the Dark. Makes me like this guy even more. The link leads to more pictures of the duo.

"It's just this fat, black alley cat. My son wanted a black kitten when he was a kid, and I found it in the East Village in some rescue shelter, but it was born in a box and the guy that was getting rid of it was like, "You don't want this cat. This cat's never gonna love anyone." And the first time I saw it, it was like just hissing and scratching everything it saw and now it's like this big, fat, chill cat." :3:

http://www.catsparella.com/2013/08/a-tribute-to-walking-dead-star-norman.html

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
This is my best bro Newton, he's the best :3

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

This is my best bro Newton, he's the best :3

It's scary how many times I say the words "he's the best" in the course of a day in reference to mine.

Noobert wishes you all a very happy, belated Easter.

DisMafugga fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 29, 2014

Holden Rodeo
Apr 2, 2008
Awww. Happy Easter, Noobs.

Hello, Mishka Tree Cat. Tree branches make the best scratching posts.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

DisMafugga posted:

It's scary how many times I say the words "he's the best" in the course of a day in reference to mine.

That's because all cats are the best, and black cats are the best of the best. Also, Noobert is adorable.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I suppose my (or my parents', really) cats only partly qualify; our younger boy, Leo, is basically white with a black cap, a black cape+tail, and one black anklet. Shame to hear that black cats are so hard to rehome, all the pocket panthers I've seen in this thread are just lovely!

For content, Ty (Short for Tyger or Tigger as in the Winnie the Pooh tiger, Tikru in Finnish) was helping me do the gardening last night..

While Leo was being a lazybum (And didn't even bother to turn on his dignity)

(Love the smooshyface, he'd been napping in the same position all morning!)

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 29, 2014

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

The Mighty King Boo, otherwise known as Bubble or Bubba, an official Cats Protection League black cat. We took in him and his sister around 12 years ago I think. She was a beautiful marbled grey, very friendly and a lovely cat to have. Unfortunately she died of a hereditary kidney disease five years ago.

He is a big black halfwit.

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ
A week before Christmas last year I was out to dinner with my husband and as we were leaving, a skinny, bony black cat got into the entry vestibule and was trying to get into the restaurant proper. She looked up at me and meowed, and my heart broke. Luckily some other diners started feeding her their leftovers, which kept her occupied until my husband could get a cat carrier.

We named her Noelle and she's a spoiled pudgy derpcat now. Her favorite activities are destroying paper towels and inhaling shoe fumes.

off_kilter
Mar 24, 2011
Here is my handsome boy Lee Harvey Pawswald. I stole him from some neglectful owners 3 years ago. He hadn't been fixed, had worms, fleas, and was underweight. Now he is my chatty paper killer. All l the mail I send has wee kitten bites taken out of it. Also he has big ol' ears.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Excellent cats. They make Noobert smile. Post more of them all, please.

DisMafugga fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 6, 2014

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Boodah is a good model when he isn't trying to kill me.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Story about a black cat named Suika that has been missing since the Tsunami in Japan making it home recently. :3:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/10824207/Cat-missing-since-Japan-tsunami-reunited-with-owners.html

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

DisMafugga posted:

Story about a black cat named Suika that has been missing since the Tsunami in Japan making it home recently. :3:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/10824207/Cat-missing-since-Japan-tsunami-reunited-with-owners.html

Reminds me of my little black bastard. About three months after I got him, he darted out the door. He'd done this before and would come back for supper, but this time he didn't show. A few days went by and we became more and more frantic. Signs up, the whole lot. I even went and looked at a black cat someone had found that turned out not to be him. after a couple months we gave up.

Six months later I get a call at work from an animal hospital 30 miles away from where I live. He'd showed up in someone's back yard about 23 miles from the house, and the family there took him in to get him scanned for a chip, whereupon my name popped up. I told my boss at my lovely grocery store job that I was taking a two hour lunch RIGHT NOW to go get my cat, a collar, and some food.

Cat positively crawled down my collar after I let him out of the crate in the lobby of the vet's office. The receptionists were absolutely mushy about it too.

He still tries to escape (and occasionally succeeds) but he never fails to come back for his supper anymore.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Talbot in his helping me with my work pose on my desk. Note the sabertooth. He is either a vampire or a smilodon throwback.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Here's Boodah as a baby.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Taking decent pictures of black cats with a point-and-shoot is so hard. :smith:

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

Taking decent pictures of black cats with a point-and-shoot is so hard. :smith:

It doesn't help with a point and shoot, but for my phone Instaflash works pretty well for bringing out facial features on Noobert.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

She was sleeping on the blanket like a normal creature for a bit but woke up and spent about five minutes rearranging everything to her satisfaction with this result.

Stonut
Sep 12, 2003
Cranky Nympho

Gus is sleepy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Of course he's sleepy...he's a cat.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
This is Vashta Nerada, the runt of the litter of six motherless kittens my fiancee found in our neighborhood last night. We're probably not keeping any of them, but this one would be the one I kept if I could.

Sorry for the blurriness - it was, like, 3am, we were still working on getting one of his siblings to come out from a gap in the bathroom cabinet that we didn't know existed, and he was being a squirmy little thing (hence the very odd position in my hand).

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
This is Jinx. Even with a urinary tract infection going on he always has time for boxes.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Question to black cat thread: Is it difficult to be at the same time the cutest and the most stylish thread in the forums, or does it just come naturally?

not mine but sure wish it was

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Deleuzionist posted:

Question to black cat thread: Is it difficult to be at the same time the cutest and the most stylish thread in the forums, or does it just come naturally?

You have to work hard to be fashionable.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Deleuzionist posted:

Noobert believes it's a natural state of mind.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

crowbb posted:

This is Jinx. Even with a urinary tract infection going on he always has time for boxes.

Stay on top of it; I noticed my boy was having a tough time at the litterbox and it turned into a three-night stay at the vet with catheter for a nice $940. Royal Canin Urinary SO for the rest of his days. Good god I thought wet food stank; I was so wrong.

Here is Prince, after I had to resort to... methods... to restrain him from licking a raw spot on his chest before I could get a cone

Fresh home from the vet, Prince very much wanted to be left alone and sulk at me for having done him the injustice of leaving him at the vet for three days.

"Why do you disturb me, human :catstare:"

Shelter cats are the second-best cats. Best cats being dumpster-cats and parking lot cats, of course.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Have a Hoke he's mostly black :ohdear:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Have a Hoke he's mostly black :ohdear:

I'll allow it because that stripe on his nose and the two little dots under it are great. :3:

Crossposted from yospos cat thread:

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Cross posting Noobert doing his Dracula impression from the Pose a Pet thread.

Stonut
Sep 12, 2003
Cranky Nympho
Gus is showing me how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmkcyMzYX4c

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...
it's pretty hard to get nice pictures of Soma (My av is also him)

i did manage to snag this one day though :3

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I agree. He'd already been to the vet 3 times when I took this pic. That Saturday night he was begging to go in my room at night, which is pretty normal. I decided to let him in this time, which is not since I do have allergies and try to keep the bed relatively pet hair free. I was lucky I did as Jinx immediately peed a little blood on my covers. A few minutes later we were off to the emergency vet where he was diagnosed with the UTI and checked for a blockage. Got a bunch of meds and was told I should see significant improvement within a day. Didn't. So he was back again the next day. On the 3rd day he went to my regular vet for a follow-up but was hugely improved by then. Final cost ended up being $420, mostly from the emergency vet. Not too terribly bad in my experience for an emergency vet visit.

I don't have the most cat experience in the world. I've had Jinx about 2 years and my other cat Joker about 1.5 and they are my first 2. But everything I have been told/read about urinary stuff in male cats told me it can get life threatening fast so I didn't mess around.

Beach Bum posted:

Stay on top of it; I noticed my boy was having a tough time at the litterbox and it turned into a three-night stay at the vet with catheter for a nice $940. Royal Canin Urinary SO for the rest of his days. Good god I thought wet food stank; I was so wrong.

off_kilter
Mar 24, 2011

Harvey is a classy gentleman. Only the freshest of toilet water for him.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
This is my nigga Sparks. Sparks usually sleeps under the covers. If he can find his way under the covers, he will stay there all night, usually between my feet.

I got Sparks when he was 4 weeks old as a rescue. Mama went AWOL. My roommate and I had to bottle feed him for a few days he was so young. Dem paws...

Here he is at about 9 months, looking regal as gently caress

Since he had no siblings to play with, I spent a lot of time keeping him active. He's a bit too aggressive around hands (play biting, scratching) as a result. I built him this toy at about 8 weeks to keep him entertained. He destroyed a couple versions before I gave up (he took the last one out by chewing the wires once he figured out how to jump on the desk).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtKdtpLNGM0

And now he's one year old and very active! Check out his monkey tail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJhDh2j5WAw

When he's not playing, he's usually following me around. He jumps up and give me hugs. I never really cared about pets that much until I had this guy. He's still a pain in the rear end though.