Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Just had my Dad on the phone trying to impress upon me the importance of voting UKIP tomorrow. Nit only are they the only hope for the great white hunter, its apparently good they want to repeal gay marriage because 'its unnatural and they will end up adopting' (your second born son was gay, Dad)

Mind you, my Dad also thinks Gadaffi was misunderstood.

E:in this day in 1894 Queen Victoria opened the Manchester Shipping Canal

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Trickjaw posted:

Just had my Dad on the phone trying to impress upon me the importance of voting UKIP tomorrow. Nit only are they the only hope for the great white hunter, its apparently good they want to repeal gay marriage because 'its unnatural and they will end up adopting' (your second born son was gay, Dad)

Mind you, my Dad also thinks Gadaffi was misunderstood.

E:in this day in 1894 Queen Victoria opened the Manchester Shipping Canal

does he not realise gay couples can adopt as of 12 years ago?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The BNP used to say exactly the same thing pretty much word for loving word. Ukip probably just recycled one of their old leaflets.

gently caress 'em all.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Spangly A posted:

does he not realise gay couples can adopt as of 12 years ago?

Do you really think he lets facts get in the way?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The BNP used to say exactly the same thing pretty much word for loving word. Ukip probably just recycled one of their old leaflets. candidates.

gently caress 'em all.

Probably much closer to the truth - like how around here our BNP candidate decided that the BNP wasn't hardcore racist enough, so went and joined the English Democrats

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

SybilVimes posted:

Probably much closer to the truth - like how around here our BNP candidate decided that the BNP wasn't hardcore racist enough, so went and joined the English Democrats

Good point, well made. Which is why, like someone else pointed out earlier, telling Ukip supporters their party is racist won't work; that's their reason for supporting them in the first place, even if they do sometimes remember to call it "common sense" when out in public.

It occurs to me that I haven't had any Ukip 'literature' through my door. I've had English Democrats stuff and Lib Dem leaflets (in envelopes!) but nothing from the kippers, which given their semi-regular presence in the High Street and them having an office about two minutes from my front door, is surprising.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

Actually, the guy is ex-Labour, but he was a right shitstain with them as well - he said of the candidate he was working to elect that "If we don't get the white folk angry, he's gone."

The English Democrats are a weird choice for your dude to go for, though (not that racists are known for smart decisions) - they're racist precisely because the BNP infiltrated them en masse and turned them into a (briefly) more socially-acceptable front. Before that they were just a bunch of anoraks all about the warm beer and Morris men (blackface optional).

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
I threw the May polls into the hopper and the results then into my spreadsheet, so I'll post the results here. This is NOT HUGELY ACCURATE, but about as accurate as it gets for EU elections. I also suggested which party to vote for at the end, Labour, Green, SNP or Plaid, if you want your vote to have the best chance at keeping a real poo poo out.

Yorkshire and Humber: 3 UKIP, 2 Lab, 1 Con: Green (Green and Libs chasing UKIP)

North East: 2 Lab, 1 UKIP: Lab (Labour holding against Cons)

North West: 4 Lab, 3 UKIP, 1 Con: Green (Green and Libs chasing UKIP)

East Midlands: 3 UKIP, 1 Lab, 1 Con: Lab (Labour chasing UKIP)

West Midlands: 3 Lab, 2 UKIP, 2 Con: N/A (Green and Libs chasing Labour)

East of England: 3 UKIP, 2 Con, 2 Lab: N/A (Green and Libs chasing Labour)

London: 4 Lab, 2 Con, 2 UKIP: N/A (Green and Libs chasing Labour)

South East: 4 UKIP, 3 Con, 2 Lab, 1 Lib: Green (Green and Libs chasing UKIP)

South West: 3 UKIP, 2 Lab, 1 Con: Green (Green and Libs chasing UKIP)

Wales: 2 Lab, 1 UKIP, 1 Con: Plaid (Plaid chasing Cons)

Scotland: 3 SNP, 2 Lab, 1 Con: SNP (SNP holding against UKIP)

Overall that's 26 Lab, 25 UKIP, 15 Con, 3 SNP, 1 Lib, 0 Green, 0 Plaid. Expect UKIP to do better if turnout doesn't break 30%.

Also a note to anyone using my spreadsheet, the North West and West Midlands are both electing one more MEP than 2009. Copy and pasting the three ending columns into the next three columns under both regions and then changing the Seats to be = the correct column letter fixes it.

Alecto fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 21, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I think some people here have partners who are originally from countries in the EU/EEA, from what I've looked at an EU citizen has the right to use the NHS services from the date they move here as long as they intend to stay here permanently?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm in the North East so I will probably vote Labour, as the Greens have a low showing here. Shame, I think the Green campaign has been positive and well fought.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
Oh poo poo, this would be hilarious if it wasn't so predictable and awful.

Private colleges bilking the taxpayer for hundreds of millions with fake students

The private sector is SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT (at stealing tax payers' money)!

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

UKMT posters, I need some help. Because this is the season for getting in facebook arguments with people about their terrible voting choices, I'm gonna need some outside perspective on some issues.

I'm currently debating with someone who's decided to quote this article: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/rod-liddle/2014/05/reasons-to-love-your-german-neighbours/ (I know it's Rob Liddle and he is A poo poo, but it's mainly the statistics about crime relating to Romanians versus other nationalities.)

If we are to be taking these stats as truth, what can be said of it? Is it maybe the economic situation in native Romania that cause people to 'turn to crime'? I'm really not sure what to make of it.

This is an issue pretty dear to me considering I live with two Romanians, and another two live upstairs and they are some of my favourite people in the world and to see people slighting them is one issue that really gets to me.

CptAwesome fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 21, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Trying to work out who in my constituency deserves their deposit back more. Saw the Communities United Party "huh, sounds posit..

... jesus that's p fash."

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I started asking potential ukip voters why they'd vote for them to be MEPs, as MEPs don't have the power to remove the UK from the EU, but MPs do so they should vote for UKIP at the next general election. Also pointing out that The UKIPs don't participate with europarl so why not vote for another party who might milk the europeans for all their worth and get back some of are money etc..

It's a real facepalm for the UK if we are missing out on the benefits of the EU by voting in so many UKIP MEPs. Cutting off your nose etc.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

CptAwesome posted:

UKMT posters, I need some help. Because this is the season for getting in facebook arguments with people about their terrible voting choices, I'm gonna need some outside perspective on some issues.

I'm currently debating with someone who's decided to quote this article: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/rod-liddle/2014/05/reasons-to-love-your-german-neighbours/ (I know it's Rob Liddle and he is A poo poo, but it's mainly the statistics about crime relating to Romanians versus other nationalities.)

If we are to be taking these stats as truth, what can be said of it? Is it maybe the economic situation in native Romania that cause people to 'turn to crime'? I'm really not sure what to make of it.

This quote:

Rod Liddle posted:

They out-crim even the Jamaicans and the Somalians, which is an incredible achievement, really.

Jesus making GBS threads Christ. I'd forgotten Liddle was that loving bad.

Anyway, to the point, does he actually link to the data he claims he's read, or does he just cite numbers and expect his readers to believe it? I'm viewing the article on my phone, so I might not have seen the link.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

CptAwesome posted:

Those are arrest statistics, not crime statistics. They prove only that the police arrest Romanians disproportionately, not that they commit crime disproportionately.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

CptAwesome posted:

This is an issue pretty dear to me considering I live with two Romanians, and another two live upstairs and they are some of my favourite people in the world and to see people slighting them is one issue that really gets to me.

There's always good old fashioned racial profiling. Romanians are no more crime prone than anyone else, it's just that crimes that do happen are disproportionately tilted in their favour because they are suspicious sorts and more likely to attract police attention, because police are racist as gently caress.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ddraig posted:

There's always good old fashioned racial profiling. Romanians are no more crime prone than anyone else, it's just that crimes that do happen are disproportionately tilted in their favour because they are suspicious sorts and more likely to attract police attention, because police are racist as gently caress.

I loved the video on the guardian's site today of some Romanian MEP candidate (a very nice looking chap) going around Farage's home town asking people if they'd mind if he moved next door, and Farage's next door-but-one neighbour is like 'he doesn't represent me!', with a bit of a 'he's a swivel eyed loon' undercurrent.

Pretty telling if your own neighbours think you're a racist loon.

<ukip>of course, the Romanian had Romanian candy with him, which is probably laced with some weird drug that makes people compliant, which explains why they all thought he was nice</ukip>

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Proud of my hometown for the first time in ever.

The Local Rag posted:

Benefits Street researchers were chased by Teesside residents and pelted with eggs it has been claimed.

TV crews researching the controversial show were in Dixon Street, off Dovecot Street, Stockton, last month after previously speaking to families in Middlesbrough.

It's claimed that some Dixon Street residents chased, pelted eggs and threw a bucket of water over the research team from Love Productions - which makes the show for Channel 4.

Reactions to proposals to film a new series on Teesside have been mixed.

Brian Hayes, 26, said: “I wouldn’t have minded it.

“They said our house prices would go up and that it was possible that we could get a job at the end of it.”

But Shakil Maqsood, 32, from nearby Russell Street said: “I think it’s all about looking down on people.

“They said that the house prices would go up by 16% and there were about four families here who wanted it but a lot said that if they filmed here they would move.

“Later on, the TV crew were stood over there and they got eggs thrown at them, then someone threw a bucket of water over them - they chased them.”

Undeterred, today Love Productions called Stockton North MP Alex Cunningham to request a meeting with him.

But the Labour MP spoke out this morning saying the controversial programme preyed on vulnerable people and was “exploitative”.

The MP told the Gazette: “The chief executive for Love Productions has offered a meeting but I don’t know how useful that would be, as I imagine that we would both have fairly entrenched opinions.

“We have not heard anything on the ground for a while about Benefits Street coming to Stockton, there have been a few bits and pieces but nothing concrete.

“My message to the producers would be the same as when it was first rumoured that they were interested in coming to film here - Benefits Street is not welcome in Stockton.”

Love Productions has previously referred the Gazette’s queries to Channel 4.

A spokesman has said: “Love Productions are in development and researching potential new locations for a second series of Benefits Street and are looking at a number of areas around the country.

“The first series ignited an important debate about the welfare system and we are interested in seeing if we can revisit this through the experiences of residents of a street in a different part of Britain.”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Trying to work out who in my constituency deserves their deposit back more. Saw the Communities United Party "huh, sounds posit..

... jesus that's p fash."

What the gently caress is that poo poo. What has that eagle got to do with Britain. loving foreigners. That bird should be a good old British bird, like a robin.

Robins are territorial as gently caress too, so it suits.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I thought that eagle was just taking the piss, that's real?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

KKKlean Energy posted:

What the gently caress is that poo poo. What has that eagle got to do with Britain. loving foreigners. That bird should be a good old British bird, like a robin.

Robins are territorial as gently caress too, so it suits.

They probably wanted to put the golden eagle (which is more british than the bald eagle), but figured it'd look a bit TOO nazi.

e: reading their site, they don't seem all that bad, and Mr Malik is probably just an idiot rather than evil

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 21, 2014

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Kurtofan posted:

I thought that eagle was just taking the piss, that's real?

It's real, I got a leaflet from them in Acton.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The bald eagle is as British as the bluebirds over the white cliffs of dover!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

marktheando posted:

The bald eagle is as British as the bluebirds over the white cliffs of dover!

They'd eat things that would make a decent British landfill seagull puke, too.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

lolling

quote:

An internal Liberal Democrat document reveals that the party is braced for a complete wipeout in the European parliamentary elections.

Senior party figures have been briefed to say that a failure to win any seats should be "expected" at this stage in the electoral cycle for a governing party.

The document, the contents of which have been leaked to the Guardian, advises Lib Dem spokespeople about what to say if the party wins between no seats and two seats in Strasbourg.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ferrosol posted:

The first series ignited an important debate about the welfare system and we are interested in seeing if we can revisit this through the experiences of residents of a street in a different part of Britain.”

Sure it did, just like cops on camera inspires important discussion of crime and punishment :jerkbag: (also that crappy UK version of the show about australian border control, wrt immigration)

My dad loving loves shows like this, and I don't get it at all, because they drive him completely mental. It's like he enjoys being righteously angry at criminals/immigrants/scroungers/whatever, which is weird because he's not a terrible person in real life around other people, but at home it's all "Enoch Powell was right" and "rararar I must aggressively exercise my right to be a stereotypical old white man at all times [when nobody I'm not related to is watching]". :(

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hope Theresa May drives home within the law tonight, and doesn't need to report a burglary or anything. Hahaha, two hateful elements pitched at each other. Marvellous!

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

My dad loving loves shows like this, and I don't get it at all, because they drive him completely mental. It's like he enjoys being righteously angry at criminals/immigrants/scroungers/whatever, which is weird because he's not a terrible person in real life around other people, but at home it's all "Enoch Powell was right" and "rararar I must aggressively exercise my right to be a stereotypical old white man at all times [when nobody I'm not related to is watching]". :(

Hate is a powerful emotion, never forget that :hitler:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sure it did, just like cops on camera inspires important discussion of crime and punishment :jerkbag: (also that crappy UK version of the show about australian border control, wrt immigration)

There's an entire channel of that poo poo. It's like something out of future dystopia fiction, where people tune in to watch authority figures push ordinary people around and perform raids and destroy poor people's lives. All with some smarmy gently caress mocking the victims and masturbating over how cool the cops are

Cerv posted:

lolling

Question is, what's going to happen to the Lib Dems' tone now? They tried 'debating' with facts, are they going to stick with it or veer to the right to court the xenophobia vote?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Question is, what's going to happen to the Lib Dems' tone now? They tried 'debating' with facts, are they going to stick with it or veer to the right to court the xenophobia vote?

If the conservatives see their vote divided, LDs may decide that their best bet is somewhere where labour is falling short and they don't have to fight to be a 3rd contender - maybe 'sticking up for britains underclass' or something equally unbelivable.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

My Dad loves them to he gleefully plays a game of guilty or not along with them, normally making his judgement as soon as he sees them especially on the border control ones. Its depressing how often his racial profiling turns out to be right gotta love TV editing!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Lib Dem being this hosed is gold. They're not going to be able to get any sway with the public unless they publicly kick out Nick Clegg by literally booting him in the bum out the door.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Lib Dem being this hosed is gold. They're not going to be able to get any sway with the public unless they publicly kick out Nick Clegg by literally booting him in the bum out the door.

I suspect the party will be finished and they'll probably splinter off into some other incarnation that can claim to have been unable to get their voice heard during 'those bad years' or something. They'll probably wait until after next may though, I don't think they'll risk rebranding/splitting just from bad EU results.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Lib Dems aren't half as badly hosed for the general election as they are in the euros - they're extremely well dug in to several constituencies here and there, particularly in the south-west. They'll almost certainly retain 20-30 seats in 2015. What'll gently caress them tomorrow is that the european electoral regions are much bigger than Westminster constituencies, so their small pockets of concentrated support will get swamped.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

SybilVimes posted:

I suspect the party will be finished and they'll probably splinter off into some other incarnation that can claim to have been unable to get their voice heard during 'those bad years' or something. They'll probably wait until after next may though, I don't think they'll risk rebranding/splitting just from bad EU results.

Yeah, after the GE he's out. I don't know if they will regenerate though, its a bit of cliche now.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

StoneOfShame posted:

My Dad loves them to he gleefully plays a game of guilty or not along with them, normally making his judgement as soon as he sees them especially on the border control ones. Its depressing how often his racial profiling turns out to be right gotta love TV editing!

For the BBC shows like Traffic Cops etc., when there's a new episode (not a repeat), blurred faces mean not guilty/not yet gone to court, visible people mean dangerous crims (occasionally innocent bystanders) who were guilty guilty guilty because it magically becomes in the public interest/reporting on a crime.

Now next time one is on you can ruin it for him.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

StoneOfShame posted:

PS this is why I hate Law and Order. We know you did it! We have no evidence but we know it was you, suspicious thug! :cop: *one hour later, suspicious thug confirmed as baddy* :doink:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

PS this is why I hate Law and Order. We know you did it! We have no evidence but we know it was you, suspicious thug! :cop: *one hour later, suspicious thug confirmed as baddy* :doink:

it's a :911: thing, nuances are for pansies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Whenever I've been unlucky enough to see those BORDER PATROL ON THE FRONT LINE checking bags in an airport things, nobody ever seems to have done anything wrong. They pull someone aside and harass them (dragged out over the course of an episode with dramatic editing to make them look guilty), they do tests and find COCAINES, interrogate the poor traveller about WHY WOULD THERE BE COCAINE TRACES HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW, maybe make them take a poo poo under observation...

And then they do another, proper test and there's gently caress all there. Or they're picking up the person's medication which is right there and labelled. Ooooops! (Then they badger the people some more when letting them go, as if they deserved it)

So the entire premise of the show is:
a) watch people find smuggled or banned stuff that's been shipped by air mail
b) watch ordinary, innocent people who've done nothing wrong get pushed around by authority figures in an airport
c) BONUS: watch immigration officials perform house and workplace raids and ruin some lives

It's poo poo.

• Locked thread