Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sliderule posted:

There now appears to be an arpeggiator on board. Works pretty well, but there's a mysterious "pattern" option that I can't get to do anything. All 100 user bank entries are blank.

Found an answer to this. Open source prodatum allows for the editing of all preset parameters of P1K/P2K romplers, including arpeggiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Like most filters they're better animated. Approach them like you're wavesequencing/vector synthing rather than using a static filter.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Startyde posted:

Like most filters they're better animated. Approach them like you're wavesequencing/vector synthing rather than using a static filter.

I tested them with both an envelope and a delayed LFO mapped to frequency, but in retrospect I never really tweaked the modulation depth from my initial setting. Also, maybe the magic is in modulating Q on some of them. I'll keep noodling, thanks!

e: Q is only note-on modulatable.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 20, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Try it with drums

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Someone buy my Moog/Filter Factory before I have to carry them to Hawaii on Thursday.

Also my wife poked a Novation polysynth thing with delay/reverb built in and now wants a polysynth. What should I get her? She's got a piano and composition background but no idea how to synthesizer.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Someone buy my Moog/Filter Factory before I have to carry them to Hawaii on Thursday.

Also my wife poked a Novation polysynth thing with delay/reverb built in and now wants a polysynth. What should I get her? She's got a piano and composition background but no idea how to synthesizer.

You can leave them with me and I'll babysit them until they sell? Srs offer, yo.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Alesis Ion, nice VA polysynth with a decent interface and not very expensive.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

You can leave them with me and I'll babysit them until they sell? Srs offer, yo.

If you're in Seattle in the next couple of days if be okay with that.

And you know you'd cave and buy the FF if you were babysitting it. :v:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

sliderule posted:

I tested them with both an envelope and a delayed LFO mapped to frequency

~Aftertouch~

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

An1x plus maybe a MidiVerb will gateway drug any ~player~.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

You can have my ZR-76, but you have to screw it back together (and replace the encoders)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If you're in Seattle in the next couple of days if be okay with that.

And you know you'd cave and buy the FF if you were babysitting it. :v:
I am in Seattle all the days and would totally do this. But you leave tomorrow?

May also cave too, but either way, win-win.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I leave Thursday but tomorrow I drop off my car to be shipped, so you'd need to be able to come my way. Whoever I was PMing about all this sorry I dropped off the planet, I had to drive up to Canada and my sister-in-law got married so it's been hectic.

Buy the Moog and I'll give you the FF for a hundred. :buddy:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I leave Thursday but tomorrow I drop off my car to be shipped, so you'd need to be able to come my way. Whoever I was PMing about all this sorry I dropped off the planet, I had to drive up to Canada and my sister-in-law got married so it's been hectic.

Buy the Moog and I'll give you the FF for a hundred. :buddy:
Yeah, that was me with the PMing, but no worries. Re: tomorrow though, doubt I'd be able to meet up with you since you were outside Seattle proper. Besides, tomorrow is a busy day at the office with meetings and such.

You've probably already seen this, but someone on Muffs said they PMd you about the Filter Factory on the 14th.

Where are you dropping off your car?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Tacoma, so in theory I could toss synths in a bag and meet in Seattle proper via the Sounder. The dude on Muffs bought a filter already. :(

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Synth thread would you eat a synth?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Oh my god that is loving with my brain

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

net work error posted:

Good thing they chose to eat an analog synth! VAs just don't taste like the real thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FLX posted:

Good thing they chose to eat an analog synth! VAs just don't taste like the real thing.

Well people do describe analog filters as being creamier :tipshat:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The real question is this: What would be the tastiest synth?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
i'd imagine a polivoks would be kind of crunchy.

oberheim would taste a little dated.

casios are good for a snack.

PS: you weren't getting back to me Wafflehound but your wife would probably enjoy the Micron I have for sale.

flink127
Dec 5, 2013

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

The real question is this: What would be the tastiest synth?

the DSI prophet 08 would be a fresh out of the oven cookie

the Virus TI would probably be good but have a vague chemical aftertaste

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

net work error posted:

What's the decay like on that if you leave it sitting out?

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

net work error posted:

100% completely delicious signal path

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Eating a 303 would require chasing it with a pile of Tums.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I picked up a TB-3 at lunchtime, and I'm waffling on a TR-8. I read the impressions earlier in the thread, and I'm 50/50 at this point. I like the fact that it's full-on hardware, even though you can't get at all of the outs.

What are the odds that the Rhythm Wolf actually exists and is non-awful?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm waiting on the Rhythm Wolf as well, because I need to start gigging soon with my partner. The TR-8 looks very giggable as well because of the two-channels and the compressor and what-not. But I emailed Akai support and they said it's slated for June release.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
My wife fell in love with the Volcas. So, thank god she didn't decide she had to have a euro setup.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Any of you guys have experience with the Novation Ultranova? Assuming it would work as a decent midi controller it's only ~$300 more than the pure controllers I was looking at for a ton more functionality and the ability to play around without being tethered to a computer.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bolange posted:

Any of you guys have experience with the Novation Ultranova? Assuming it would work as a decent midi controller it's only ~$300 more than the pure controllers I was looking at for a ton more functionality and the ability to play around without being tethered to a computer.

I looked into one when I first started getting back into music and passed on it since at the time it was over my budget (that's totally ballooned over time) and it's pretty solid. Another good thing about it is IIRC the Ultranova can also act as your audio interface with other gear since it has two external in's, and you have the option to use the filters if you want to process external sound as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bolange posted:

Not the Ultra but I just got a Mininova recently. It does work as a MIDI controller. It also has a ton of built in sounds and two completely empty banks that you can fill up with downloadable sounds via the Librarian software that comes with the synth. I filled both of those up with sound packs I found on the Novation site. I think each bank holds 127 sounds, so now I have close to 400 presets on there. Plus it comes with a vocoder, which is a ton of fun to mess around with.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Does the Mininova have an arpegiattor with a latch? I'm going to be covering both pads / drums / bass for my new gig (with a folk singer...) and I need something that can latch to midi clock.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A MIRACLE posted:

Does the Mininova have an arpegiattor with a latch? I'm going to be covering both pads / drums / bass for my new gig (with a folk singer...) and I need something that can latch to midi clock.
Don't know if this answers your question, because in my opinion you're using the terminology weirdly, but:

Page 7 & 13 from the manual:

quote:

LATCH button: applies the Arpeggiator effect to the last note(s) played continuously, until a subsequent key is pressed. LATCH can be pre-selected so that it is effective as soon as the Arpeggiator is enabled.

quote:

Parameter: Clock Source
Displayed As: ClkSourc
Default value: Internal
Range of adjustment: Internal, USB, MIDI, Auto

The MiniNova uses a master MIDI clock in order to set the tempo (rate) of the arpeggiator and to provide a time base for synchronisation to an overall tempo. This clock may be derived internally or provided by an external device able to transmit MIDI clock. The ClkSourc
setting determines whether the MiniNova’s tempo-synchronised features (Arpeggiator, Chorus Sync, Delay Sync, Gator Sync, LFO Delay Sync, LFO Rate Sync & Pan Rate Sync) will follow the tempo of an external MIDI clock source or follow the tempo set by the TEMPO knob.
You can play notes to it and you won't have to keep holding them down. What the arpeggiator produces can be synced to an external clock.

e: Mind you that the Blofeld can do all that too, theoretically, but utterly fails syncing the arpeggiator in practice. So I don't know if those are empty promises. I don't have a Mininova.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 22, 2014

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Been reading this thread a bit, and I am currently in the market, but I need expert advice.

I own a studio, and we do 90% guitar-based music (acoustic, bluegrass, rock, metal, etc) so currently our only keyboard is a lovely Roland Juno-G with a broken screen. (Apparently a common problem. You can only read the top right 1/4th of it.) I have seen fixes for the screen, but the reason I haven't bothered is: they keybed basically sucks. It feels like a lovely $50 Casio, and every person we have had come in and use it has made similar remarks. We'd like to branch out a bit and offer better options, so we have long been meaning to replace it with something nice and weighted/semi-weighted. We only use the Roland as a MIDI controller, really - another reason why I haven't been in a hurry to fix the screen.

aside from all that - a new concern has arisen:

I have recently joined a cover band as a sideman, playing 70% guitar and the rest keys, so I need something for live as well. Of the songs I play keys on, 75% are straight up Piano, and the rest are synth-y)

So I'm not too hung up on key count. 61 is fine. 73 would be nice. The thought of lugging around 88 for gigs doesn't appeal much.

As far as "workstation" goes....ehhhhhh.....? As long as I can program at home and load up patches/samples/whatever for live - I'm good. Being able to make minor tweaks live based on room sound, etc will likely be necessary. I don't anticipate too much sound switching DURING a song, and I think anything we're doing which has more than one sound could be handled via splitting the keyboard.

I guess my only other requirement would be: simplicity. Since I already have to deal with a guitar rig at gigs, I don't want a complicated setup where I'm running a MIDI controller into a laptop, which has a breakout box for audio, etc. I just want to plug the keyboard in, power it on and go.

So for years and years, the nicest keyboard I ever had my hands on was a Nord. The keys just FEEL so good, the sounds are all good, and every keyboardist I know of who has one SWEARS by them. I know one guy who has like 6 different keyboards, and his go-to is the Nord Stage 2. Was poking around today looking for comparable things and the Korg Kronos came up. I watched a quite thorough comparison on Youtube, and honestly - it's basically a dead heat. Both had Pros and Cons. The one advantage for Korg is that the Kronos comes in a 61 key version which is a good bit cheaper.

I realize both of those are SERIOUS high-powered poo poo, so I guess what I'm wondering is: would that just be overkill? Is there an option which might cover my needs without being $3k+? Money isn't a BIG object, but it's an object. Of course if I can get what I need for way cheaper than my budget - great!

Thanks!!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

HaB posted:

Been reading this thread a bit, and I am currently in the market, but I need expert advice.

Nord Wave :retrogames:

Anyway, I think the best value for your situation is still a kurzweil. You could get a K2600 for under a grand these days, or a K2661 if you want something more portable. That'll get you all the bread and butter sounds you want, lots of live controls, and some serious programmability for robot farts in the studio. I like the Motif7 and they've become pretty reasonable now but the UI is typical Yamaha obtuse and the keybed is a little clacky. I do much prefer the sequencer on it over the K. Haven't seriously poked a Korg workstation since the T/01/X family so can't speak to those.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

HaB posted:

I guess my only other requirement would be: simplicity. Since I already have to deal with a guitar rig at gigs, I don't want a complicated setup where I'm running a MIDI controller into a laptop, which has a breakout box for audio, etc. I just want to plug the keyboard in, power it on and go.

So for years and years, the nicest keyboard I ever had my hands on was a Nord. The keys just FEEL so good, the sounds are all good, and every keyboardist I know of who has one SWEARS by them. I know one guy who has like 6 different keyboards, and his go-to is the Nord Stage 2. Was poking around today looking for comparable things and the Korg Kronos came up. I watched a quite thorough comparison on Youtube, and honestly - it's basically a dead heat. Both had Pros and Cons. The one advantage for Korg is that the Kronos comes in a 61 key version which is a good bit cheaper.
The first thing I was thinking when reading your post was, "Nord Stage 2" and then I saw you were already considering them, so that's good.

The second thing I was thinking was, "Why no mention of the Rolands?" Because Roland traditionally makes some of the easiest to use, most rugged stage boards you can get (and they sound good too). But then I had a look at their current stage piano line! The only "classic" stage board they've got right now is the RD-800, which I'm sure is a fantastic board (and far more affordable than the Korg or Nord), but it's 88-keys only. Roland's current compact offerings probably sound great, but might actually be a little too simple (they don't even have displays?), and don't look particularly rugged to me. I don't know what they're thinking, at the moment.

It's been a long time since I had to lug keyboards around to live shows, but my priorities for stage boards was: light, small, rugged, simple.

In that respect I'd probably stick with the Nord compact model. 73 keys, but only 3 inches wider than the 61-key Kronos, and 2 inches less deep. Also it weights less than Korg's 61-key model (and it's less than HALF the weight of Korg's 73 key board!!!)

In terms of simplicity though... well the Nord's controls are pretty daunting, perhaps, but if you're doing a live show all you need to do is pick a preset and play. Any current stage board will let you do that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Don't know if this answers your question, because in my opinion you're using the terminology weirdly, but:

Page 7 & 13 from the manual:

You can play notes to it and you won't have to keep holding them down. What the arpeggiator produces can be synced to an external clock.

e: Mind you that the Blofeld can do all that too, theoretically, but utterly fails syncing the arpeggiator in practice. So I don't know if those are empty promises. I don't have a Mininova.

This answers my question perfectly, thanks.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I'll probably throw a sound demo together tonight!

Did you ever get a chance record that demo?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Bolange posted:

Did you ever get a chance record that demo?

STOP HOLDING ME ACCOUNTABLE FOR THINGS I SAY AND DO!

https://soundcloud.com/portervance/sets/shruthi-4pm-xt-sound-tests

SableDoux
Apr 26, 2014

Sounds really nice man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Finally sent in my Waldorf Microwave for repair to the synth tech. Hopefully he'll be able to fix it (and not hit me in the wallet so hard :( ).