Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Soul Vortex is great on enemies that are fat enough to encompass the entire orb you shoot out, making all of the little bolts instantly connect. So basically just The Rotten and Covetous Demon. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Kaldaris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecS0yKnNLA

Was posted on Reddit, pretty gold, honestly.

The first invasion is dull but afterwards it gets pretty funny.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
I've been nerd dueling at iron keep and get constant Havelyn invasions every 10 mins or so which is no fun at all. Either its the Santier's in one hand with one Avelyn in the other giving them a stunlock combo which takes about 1500 damage in one attack, bat staff, invisible dual avelyns or all of it together. So I joined the way of the blue for the first time and its fuckin' awesome. I don't know if its because of the tier or what but 2/3 invasions summon in a blue guy and you don't even have to wear a ring. If you aren't doing any other covenant actively go join these guys for your own bodyguard cop today.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Iron Keep is hopping is it? What's your SM Lalus? As a career blue cop I might need to try camping the Iron Keep bonfire for summons.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Kaldaris posted:

This is my favourite goddamn thing concerning Dark Souls.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I just discovered that emit force can hit through thin surfaces.

Thin surfaces like the floorboards of belfry luna.

You can actually hit and kill invaders by using the binoculars and aiming up. A lot of invaders like to camp the boss door with the two dwarfs so you can just aim there and spam EF and they really can't see it or dodge it.

Some catch on but others just run around in circles and since EF has hitboxes the size of cars you can just spray and pray. A couple of dudes thought the dwarfs were attacking them so they started attacking a few.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A lot of attacks can go through surfaces. Soul Greatsword goes through doors and the like as well, for example and the fire the drakes breathe goes through anything so you can't just hide behind a wall. Anything AoE you're probably not safe from even on the other side of a wall so don't stick to them.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Kaldaris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywyll7GUG5Q

Reminds me too much of this, though I'm sure that it's something of a homage to OnlyAfro's stuff.

EDIT: Well poo poo I need to learn to read video descriptions because he says exactly that in the description. :toot:

Azzents fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 21, 2014

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Iron Keep is hopping is it? What's your SM Lalus? As a career blue cop I might need to try camping the Iron Keep bonfire for summons.

65m or something. The highest tier anyway. I don't know if I'm getting minded so much because I'm the only drat guy to join the covenant or if the sentinels are thirsty as hell

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Brilliant.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to overlay text and sounds and things on a recording so that I can make a notOnlyAfrovideo too? :v:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

turtlecrunch posted:

Brilliant.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to overlay text and sounds and things on a recording so that I can make a notOnlyAfrovideo too? :v:

use fraps/shadowplay if nvidia cool kid
record
drop recording in sony vegas or something

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Azzents posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywyll7GUG5Q

Reminds me too much of this, though I'm sure that it's something of a homage to OnlyAfro's stuff.

EDIT: Well poo poo I need to learn to read video descriptions because he says exactly that in the description. :toot:

Pretty sure neither of them came up with that. I remember there being a bunch of Japanese Dark Souls videos about hiding in plain sight. They were also funnier.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Are miracles OP now as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNGuA4XVaXU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Internet Kraken posted:

Pretty sure neither of them came up with that. I remember there being a bunch of Japanese Dark Souls videos about hiding in plain sight. They were also funnier.

You can't just say that and not share...

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Azzents posted:

It was an homage.

Yeah, the thing with this is, it's hugely telegraphed, you can iframes through the AoE, and it's interruptable by love tapping him on the head. :/

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

I just witnessed the dumbest attack I've seen in the game. I was fighting a manikin when out of nowhere when I had him in mid-combo he clipped behind me and slit my throat. After I killed it I just sat there dumbfounded at how badly animated and telegraphed the attack was. I literally had no sign they could even do that and nothing even indicated how to avoid such an attack. It just happened out of nowhere and boom, 1/2 of my health gone.

My friend was next to me at the time and was howling with laughter because both of us were in shock.

That was a parry & riposte, something they'll happily do mid-combo while stunlocked whenever they feel like. Sometimes the skellies do it too. One hit stuns them, and somewhere between that and the next in the combo they will break out of stun, wind up a parry, nail that, and then a riposte, all in the split second it takes for one of your strikes to finish and the next to land.

They don't even give you the benefit of an exaggerated animation like the skeletons and balder knights did in DS1. At least they left your character reeling for a sec before going for the riposte. Here you're just left wondering what the hell happened.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

You can't just say that and not share...

I remember the original japanese videos too. One was a guy dressed as the painting guardian or whatever they are called in the Anor Londo roof part and he would whip out a giant sword/hammer after they ran by him a few times and knock them off. No idea how to go find them again though :ohdear:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

Sure, you can be subtle. Or maybe you missed my post a page back or two-

Charge people as a flaming zealot, god yes. Once I finish my fire immunity set, I'll be golden.

Sorry Kal. Your fire resistance doesn't affect immolation's self-damage.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Colapops posted:

Sorry Kal. Your fire resistance doesn't affect immolation's self-damage.

:suicide:

There goes that gimmick.

:EDIT:

Also that is really dumb that it doesn't.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 21, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yep. Nothing you can do will reduce the fire damage you take. Not fire resistance, not spells (flash sweat / magic barrier / etc. won't stack), not even water will reduce it. In fact water may actually put you out entirely but I haven't seen it myself.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lalus posted:

I remember the original japanese videos too. One was a guy dressed as the painting guardian or whatever they are called in the Anor Londo roof part and he would whip out a giant sword/hammer after they ran by him a few times and knock them off. No idea how to go find them again though :ohdear:

I'd hazard that the cideos you're thinking of were niconico stuff re-uploaded to yt by sansvietdotcom, who removed them in a hissy fit after getting poo poo for just re-uploading stuff.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Lalus posted:

One of the cosplay video's I found amusing was this one that has lautrec and his crew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ion6PBhjAGE

Skip to ~1:37 for lautrec.

It also has some painting gaurdian shenanigans, although this obviously isn't one of the early japanese ones.

In any case though, most of this guy's pvp videos are really entertaining or kind of absurd. Seriously, watch the kamikaze ninja and pendulum pvp videos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To go to shieldchat for a bit, it's kind of too bad that like in DS1, virtually none of them are worth using unless they're 100% or close to it in a certain value for fights, and mostly you just want the 100% phys reduction ones still, and among those, typically the ones with most stability. And none of them look as good as the balder shield in DS1.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

To go to shieldchat for a bit, it's kind of too bad that like in DS1, virtually none of them are worth using unless they're 100% or close to it in a certain value for fights, and mostly you just want the 100% phys reduction ones still, and among those, typically the ones with most stability. And none of them look as good as the balder shield in DS1.

The Llewellyn shield is 90% before upgrades and looks really good! Look at it! Look at how good it looks! look!!!!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Colapops posted:

The Llewellyn shield is 90% before upgrades and looks really good! Look at it! Look at how good it looks! look!!!!!

It's too tiny. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kaldaris posted:

Its like trolling the Forest Hunters in Dark Souls 1, only better :allears:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Man, I get summoned nearly instantly while dressed in Black Dragon.

As an aside, does parrying the Pursuer not stun him while you are a phantom? I tried it with Monastery Scimitar and it will not stun him, though I take no damage from the parried attack.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm not sure it's a real OnlyAfro video if WotG isn't accompanied by Four Non Blondes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tallgeese posted:

As an aside, does parrying the Pursuer not stun him while you are a phantom? I tried it with Monastery Scimitar and it will not stun him, though I take no damage from the parried attack.

I've had this happen too.

kazil fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 21, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kaldaris posted:

This is amazing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
What's a dece STR weapon to use against bugs/armored guys? Been trying the greatsword since I'm not a big fan of the giant club's attacks.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

killstealing posted:

What's a dece STR weapon to use against bugs/armored guys? Been trying the greatsword since I'm not a big fan of the giant club's attacks.

A good old fashioned club or mace. If you don't like the *club movesets then you're a bit out of luck, because a lot of the blunt STR weapons use variations of them.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 21, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EDIT: Wrong thread.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

kazil posted:

I've had this happen to.

But I assume the parry eventually landed, right? Because I have not had a fully successful one as a phantom yet with either Buckler or Monastery Scimitar.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tallgeese posted:

But I assume the parry eventually landed, right? Because I have not had a fully successful one as a phantom yet with either Buckler or Monastery Scimitar.

No. I would do the parry animation, and take zero damage, but he would not be staggered and would continue attacking.

As the host, I have no issues with parrying him.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If I leave the Dragon Covenant I lose my cool dragon stones right? I want to try getting sunlight tokens for Sunlight Spear.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Figures. Bare hand parry doesn't do it either. Guess he flat out cannot be parried as a phantom.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Today I accessed the Dragon Memory and noticed the dragon has a huge dick. That is all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Decrepus posted:

If I leave the Dragon Covenant I lose my cool dragon stones right? I want to try getting sunlight tokens for Sunlight Spear.

Nope. This isn't like DS1. You neither lose Covenant progress nor rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Dude couldn't dodge worth poo poo but was as drat near good as the real Thomas.