Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I had a tiger Oscar that attacked anything in the tank, and tried to attack anything close to it. Hands, siphons, nets, he didn't care. He also hated the cat and would have mouth opening contests with anyone who came to look in the tank. He was a mean fucker, but had loads of personality.

Mine likes to brawl with the heater but otherwise is pretty chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I ought to scrub down my shrimp tank and start over. It's overrun with limpets again. :sigh:

Maybe its an excuse to get these though, australian chameleon shrimp.

Same shrimp, different days. :eyepop:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
And so the project has started.

I will be grabbing some goo gone to clean up the remaining adhesive. Stuff came off pretty easily which was both surprising and not. After draining the water from the main area, I noticed one filter area was dry while the other was still full of water. I guess it had sprung a leak anyway.
As for filtering, I'm looking at an eheim 2071 with the flow turned to half setting.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 17, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides super reds this weekend. They are still pretty young, but we're hopeful that the smallest of the two is female. They will be chilling in my 10g quarantine for the next month or so, while I decide if they will end up in the 55g community tank or get their own 40g breeder.

Apistogramma Cacatuoides Super Red by meramsey, on Flickr

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I have a pair of super red cockatoo cichlids as well, and that third picture looks identical to my female. You may get some fighting between the males, and the odd male out may get killed once/if the other two pair up. So you may want to think of a plan now so you don't lose a fish later. Nice looking fish though, congratulations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh, I actually only have the 1 male and a female. I just put up 2 pics of the guy. Hoping that they decide to breed, that will be a fun project.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Uhg, ok, I don't have a runaway snail infestation. It seems I do have a runaway Molly infestation. I've been cycling a tank for a few months and decided to finally start adding fish. it's a 30 gal tank with lucky bamboo and a few moss balls in it. I started with a platy, a swordtail and a suckermouth. Then ordered a few high fin dalmatian mollies from Florida. Two came pregnant, two aren't, and the male is one horny bastard. Both the pregger mollies dropped an hour after getting here so now I have over forty fry in the tank. I was hoping the others would eat some but they leave'em alone. The only time I saw one come close the adult spit him back out.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

SocketWrench posted:

Uhg, ok, I don't have a runaway snail infestation. It seems I do have a runaway Molly infestation. I've been cycling a tank for a few months and decided to finally start adding fish. it's a 30 gal tank with lucky bamboo and a few moss balls in it. I started with a platy, a swordtail and a suckermouth. Then ordered a few high fin dalmatian mollies from Florida. Two came pregnant, two aren't, and the male is one horny bastard. Both the pregger mollies dropped an hour after getting here so now I have over forty fry in the tank. I was hoping the others would eat some but they leave'em alone. The only time I saw one come close the adult spit him back out.

That's odd, my molly is a champion fry eater. You can always see if your LFS will take them and give you credit one they are large enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Or get another species to eat them.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Or get another species to eat them.

This seems like a good way to end up with a five thousand gallon custom aquarium in your garage filled with gigantic fish.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

So at work we have been getting in a ton of Dalmatian Mollies with orange spots on them. I have read on some other forums that it is most likely a sign of pregnancy and usually go away after they give birth, however there have been cases of males randomly getting them and going away. Should I quarantine these guys in our sick tank or are they really just hormone-related spots? I don't know of any diseases where orange spots are involved, and it's /definitely/ orange, not just a trick of the light. It's impossible to get any good pictures, so I don't have any to show unfortunately. Just hoping for a bit of Goon advice, as it is hard to trust forums where 50% of the comments are automatically jumping to the conclusion of heavily treating the fish.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^I'm by far no expert on them as i just got mine, but neither of mine showed spotting, they were just fat and managed to spot both dropping on a random "How are my fishies doing?!" tank watch.

Bait and Swatch posted:

That's odd, my molly is a champion fry eater. You can always see if your LFS will take them and give you credit one they are large enough.

I did call the pet shop and they told me they can only deal through authorized farms. Gonna post a notice at work tomorrow and see if anyone there wants some fish.
Even the platies won't go after them.

Crappy pic, but that's a few of them. They're growing balls now. They don't hang out in the roots and cover, they're actively schooling out in the open tank and still no one's taking them out. I think my platy dropped too as I'm seeing some clear tiny fry with wag tail markings much smaller than the molly fry, and the platy looks normal again.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 19, 2014

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Can I arrange to buy some MTS from a fellow goon? My planted tank is looking a little wilted and weary and I think it may be good to throw a batch in to churn up the soil a bit. Send a PM if you can help out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Question,

Does anyone know where I can find aquarium stands that aren't particle board or wood?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tab8715 posted:

Question,

Does anyone know where I can find aquarium stands that aren't particle board or wood?

Petco sells some metal ones that I like. Model names are Brooklyn and Manhattan.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

Question,

Make one.. DIY stands are fun. If you are nice enough to the guy at Home Depot or Lowe's who works in the wood cutting area he will make the cuts for free and not give you poo poo about "We don't make custom cuts for projects."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

demonR6 posted:

Make one.. DIY stands are fun. If you are nice enough to the guy at Home Depot or Lowe's who works in the wood cutting area he will make the cuts for free and not give you poo poo about "We don't make custom cuts for projects."

My thing, I just don't want a wooden stand.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 21, 2014

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Antique stores - look for old sewing machine stands. They tend to be made out of iron with some flourishes and you'd probably just have to make a wooden top.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Powder coated metal stand at DrsFosterAndSmith.com? :)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fusillade posted:

Powder coated metal stand at DrsFosterAndSmith.com? :)

That's not bad but I'm looking for Ikea or a more modern style. Penn Plax, Eheim make a few things... The Eheim stuff is outrageously expensive.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.
Anyone here have an acrylic aquarium? I've got a single humongous tiger oscar in a 55 gallon glass aquarium that's getting old and the seals are making me nervous. I was thinking of upgrading him to a larger 75-90 gallon acrylic. From what I've read fish can see out of the tank better, which is what I'm looking for since my poor oscar frequently sees himself if I leave the light on and tries to attack his reflection.

Also he loves his television. :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ashwat posted:

Anyone here have an acrylic aquarium? I've got a single humongous tiger oscar in a 55 gallon glass aquarium that's getting old and the seals are making me nervous. I was thinking of upgrading him to a larger 75-90 gallon acrylic. From what I've read fish can see out of the tank better, which is what I'm looking for since my poor oscar frequently sees himself if I leave the light on and tries to attack his reflection.

Also he loves his television. :)

If you lived in the Bay Area I have two 55 acrylics not being used. Both were salt tanks but I'm tired of storing them.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

LingcodKilla posted:

If you lived in the Bay Area I have two 55 acrylics not being used. Both were salt tanks but I'm tired of storing them.

I'd take you up on that if I was in the area, sadly I'm in Wisconsin.

Does the acrylic scratch as easily as I hear it does?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yup. But honestly it takes some pretty drat big scratches to be really noticeable while full.

The other still stands for any other Bay Area goons. Plus I may need to find a new home for my planted 25g with mated pair of angels and assorted cats and neons. I may be leaving for boot camp soon.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Ashwat posted:

I'd take you up on that if I was in the area, sadly I'm in Wisconsin.

Does the acrylic scratch as easily as I hear it does?

Acrylic aquariums when you get to that size are pretty study and the material is more thick than some of these smaller aquariums you see around. Now those scratch pretty easily from experience.

Get your Oscar an in-tank waterproof tv with cable.. ;)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This is getting ridiculous. My pet firemouth tank idea is failing miserably. I haven't seen him outside of the PVC pipe since I got him, and I think we are going on three or four months now.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Dantu posted:

This is getting ridiculous. My pet firemouth tank idea is failing miserably. I haven't seen him outside of the PVC pipe since I got him, and I think we are going on three or four months now.

It's probably just his personality. Have to tried rearranging the tank? Sometimes that convinces Cichlids to act differently. You could also try giving live food occasionally, that can make them more lively as well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Acrylic Aquariums are going to be more clear, that's just property of acrylic especially compared to glass. The only negative is that it will scratch.

Has anyone bought Clear-For-Life Acrylic Aquariums? How are they? Do the canopies or hoods come with lighting?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's a good effective way to clean algae from the silicone on the inside of a tank?

Someone in my neighborhood curbed a big hex tank with a ton of accessories; They said it's all in working condition, they just didn't want to mess with a tank anymore. It was pretty neglected for a while it seems; stagnant water on the bottom, a few dead fish mostly decomposed next to the fake castle doodad they had in there, glass was mostly opaque with algae. Messy all around. I cleaned the inside out pretty well and it's in decent condition. No leaks, etc.

The problem is that the silicone is covered in what I assume is green algae. I've tried scrubbing it but I don't want to pull up silicone (or do I?). I'm about to go mix some bleach or something but I don't really want to ruin this any more than it possibly is. Any good recommendations?

I'm not really sure how much effort I want to invest in this, but hey -- free aquarium so I'll put in a little legwork.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Martytoof posted:

What's a good effective way to clean algae from the silicone on the inside of a tank?

<snip>

The problem is that the silicone is covered in what I assume is green algae. I've tried scrubbing it but I don't want to pull up silicone (or do I?). I'm about to go mix some bleach or something but I don't really want to ruin this any more than it possibly is. Any good recommendations?

I'm not really sure how much effort I want to invest in this, but hey -- free aquarium so I'll put in a little legwork.

Bleach is fine for cleaning, just let it sit out in the sun for a couple days after doing so; I also like to fill the tank and give it a double dose of dechlorinator, then drain, refill, and run carbon in the filter for the couple weeks it takes to run a fishless cycle, just to be sure everything is ok before I commit to putting living things in it. You really don't want to pull up silicone unless it's leaking and needs to be resealed (and that'd probably be more work than you'd be willing to do).

Dantu posted:

Multiple hiding places, some plants (real or fake) for cover, and perhaps a school of smaller (but not bite-size to an adult firemouth) tetras or something can all make your fish feel more comfortable/safe/secure, and thus more willing to venture out of his cave.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

kaosAG posted:

Bleach is fine for cleaning, just let it sit out in the sun for a couple days after doing so; I also like to fill the tank and give it a double dose of dechlorinator, then drain, refill, and run carbon in the filter for the couple weeks it takes to run a fishless cycle, just to be sure everything is ok before I commit to putting living things in it. You really don't want to pull up silicone unless it's leaking and needs to be resealed (and that'd probably be more work than you'd be willing to do).

Awesome, thanks. I'm probably going to make this a planted tank for now, no actual fish, but I'll make sure everything is filtered properly regardless.

And now that I look at it, some of the silicone looks reeeally thin and flimsy. I just looked up the process on youtube and replacing the silicone doesn't seem like a huge chore. I'm probably willing to invest a few hours and like $40 to fix this up unless you guys think DIY silicone replacements are just a recipe for disaster down the road?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I kicked up the ability to annoy my fish by several notches today.

frontosa by meramsey, on Flickr

Snagged a good deal on an underwater enclosure, for playing at the beach with my pocket camera, and as a bonus I can take in-tank shots now.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Goldmund posted:

I kicked up the ability to annoy my fish by several notches today.

Snagged a good deal on an underwater enclosure, for playing at the beach with my pocket camera, and as a bonus I can take in-tank shots now.

These pictures look spectacular. I really need to get a decent camera, the clarity in the shots some of you post are just amazing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Awesome, thanks. I'm probably going to make this a planted tank for now, no actual fish, but I'll make sure everything is filtered properly regardless.

And now that I look at it, some of the silicone looks reeeally thin and flimsy. I just looked up the process on youtube and replacing the silicone doesn't seem like a huge chore. I'm probably willing to invest a few hours and like $40 to fix this up unless you guys think DIY silicone replacements are just a recipe for disaster down the road?

Nah, just as long as you prepare the surfaces for silicone (make sure you get the aquarium-safe variety) and do leak tests, it shouldnt be a problem for the diy-er.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Dantu posted:

Others have said it but if it's a one fish tank he could use some dithers to make him comfortable.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

These pictures look spectacular. I really need to get a decent camera, the clarity in the shots some of you post are just amazing.

Thanks! It's almost like cheating though when you don't have to shoot through the tank glass.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
In the last couple days one of my Figure 8 puffers has started basically biting at... nothing. He'll float in place or swim around a bit and just rapidly bite. It's not non stop though, just every now and then.

Is this a sign of anything bad or is it just fish personality?

His tankmate seems to be fine (another figure 8), and isn't doing anything like that. This one is a lot more lurkey than the other.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gibbo posted:

In the last couple days one of my Figure 8 puffers has started basically biting at... nothing. He'll float in place or swim around a bit and just rapidly bite. It's not non stop though, just every now and then.

Is this a sign of anything bad or is it just fish personality?

His tankmate seems to be fine (another figure 8), and isn't doing anything like that. This one is a lot more lurkey than the other.

How are your temps? Sounds like it could possibly be low oxygen in the water.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So luckily I've found some people at work that wanted mollies. One guy wanted them as food for his betta till he saw them, now he wants to keep'em.
Odd enough though while the fish never touched the molly fry, all the platy fry are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Goldmund posted:

How are your temps? Sounds like it could possibly be low oxygen in the water.

Temps are fine. Just got home and he's not doing it right now. Looks like the last time I cleaned the tank the filter outflow got pushed below the surface of the water so it's not disturbing it as much, so maybe an oxygen thing. Will adjust that and test water and see what happens.