Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Roland Jones posted:

Yep, a Persian portrait pack and a unit one. They're not in the DLC list on Steam yet for some reason, but the search function brings them up.

Topic of Persians, in my game Vandad has worked his way up to Brilliant Strategiest, is both Brave and Patient, has acquired Unyielding and Inspiring Leader, and has a total of 20 Martial. It's too bad he's 60 and thus could die any day now, because he's a veritable god of war, with an 80% bonus to morale defense, 60% to regular defense, and 20% to leading the center.

If you like these kind of modifiers, play a defensive pagan faith and do combat with an enemy army in one of your provinces with the right faith.

The best defensive pagans are Romuva by the way, because they get the best levy modifier (+20%). Their holy sites are also incredibly close together (three in the Kingdom of Lithuania alone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Just found out that Lux Invicta have been made compatable. :getin: I have also noted huge slow down in my game as well. I thought it was due to my 45K Standing Army though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Supeerme posted:

Just found out that Lux Invicta have been made compatable. :getin: I have also noted huge slow down in my game as well. I thought it was due to my 45K Standing Army though.

Welp, time to conquer the world as one Artorius of Cornwall. Again.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

SeaTard posted:

Also Darkrenown, I sometimes get a bug where the game ends up launching (in borderless windowed mode) entirely within the frame of the new launcher screen. So I have a miniature sized game in a tiny little window. Quitting and restarting will fix it when this happens, and it only happens sometimes.

My message settings keep getting wiped too, but I think that's just from the various beta builds reverting them to default.

Mini window is weird, not heard of anyone else getting that. Message settings is indeed a per patch thing, otherwise things break if my message behavior changes.

DStecks posted:

Well there's a finite amount of development time! And some things (like making ironman playable) just aren't that high a priority.

Funnier every time!
:regd08:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Supeerme posted:

It was running weird when I tried it. And also apparently the Indian religions have been proselytizing to the fishes cause the oceans have been converted

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torrannor posted:

If you like these kind of modifiers, play a defensive pagan faith and do combat with an enemy army in one of your provinces with the right faith.

The best defensive pagans are Romuva by the way, because they get the best levy modifier (+20%). Their holy sites are also incredibly close together (three in the Kingdom of Lithuania alone).

The only defensive pagans I've tried so far are the Slavs, and it's gone... Poorly. Anyone have advice for them?

Rumda posted:

Better than getting knocked on the head like in our MP game.

That was the first and only time I've ever been made incapable in battle in this game. And hilariously enough I had Inspiring Leader then too, and proceeded to win battle after battle until I finally died (not in battle). Vandad is inspiring even when he has massive head trauma.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Funnier every time!
:regd08:

It'll stop being funny when it stops being true.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

The only defensive pagans I've tried so far are the Slavs, and it's gone... Poorly. Anyone have advice for them?

Probably due to Nord leaders of some Slav nations getting couple thousand free troops. drat Rurikids.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DStecks posted:

It'll stop being funny when it stops being true.

It was true about the tiny peeve you were outraged over, sorry you were inconvenienced in an inconsequential way, get over it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Roland Jones posted:

That was the first and only time I've ever been made incapable in battle in this game. And hilariously enough I had Inspiring Leader then too, and proceeded to win battle after battle until I finally died (not in battle). Vandad is inspiring even when he has massive head trauma.

You should really try a Romuva start in Lithuania. Use the "become king" ambition to subjugate the whole kingdom, and you will have the three holy sites needed to reform the faith. Once you have reformed, everything becomes much easier.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

It was true about the tiny peeve you were outraged over, sorry you were inconvenienced in an inconsequential way, get over it.

Projecting much?

See, my problem with you is that you've always got an excuse. You can never just say "yeah, that's an issue, I'll talk to the team about it", it's always got to be some smug reply because god forbid that Paradox doesn't always make the 100% perfect decision every single time.

What you don't realize is that saying "we didn't have enough time" to make braindead-simple fixes makes you look worse than if you'd just said "The issue never occurred to us", or "we haven't decided how we're going to deal with this yet", because while those would imply some (insignificant) mistake on Paradox's part, they're at least an acknowledgement that a bug is a problem, and give some reassurance that a fix may be coming, as opposed to "It's not really a problem and gently caress yourself for wanting it fixed".

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DStecks posted:

Projecting much?

See, my problem with you is that you've always got an excuse. You can never just say "yeah, that's an issue, I'll talk to the team about it",

You do realise that's exactly what he said when we brought up our multiplayer issues over the weekend. You don't know half of what you think you do. Chill the gently caress out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

Projecting much?

No, you are actually emotionally overreact about a great many things, a number of examples of which may be found in this thread.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

DStecks posted:

Projecting much?

See, my problem with you is that you've always got an excuse. You can never just say "yeah, that's an issue, I'll talk to the team about it", it's always got to be some smug reply because god forbid that Paradox doesn't always make the 100% perfect decision every single time.

What you don't realize is that saying "we didn't have enough time" to make braindead-simple fixes makes you look worse than if you'd just said "The issue never occurred to us", or "we haven't decided how we're going to deal with this yet", because while those would imply some (insignificant) mistake on Paradox's part, they're at least an acknowledgement that a bug is a problem, and give some reassurance that a fix may be coming, as opposed to "It's not really a problem and gently caress yourself for wanting it fixed".

Stop being such a cockbag.

Also many of these issues are non-trivial and poo poo is getting fixed. It's not an ideal situation for sure but you're constantly overreacting .

Having said that, paradox do something about excessive time spent saving in ironman please :( Number 1 issue right there for me personally. Also there are a dozen examples of Darkrenown saying 'thanks for bringing this to our attention, send us a savefile so we can try to reproduce the issue' amongst other things. Very little 'this isn't a problem, gently caress off'.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 21, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rumda posted:

You do realise that's exactly what he said when we brought up our multiplayer issues over the weekend. You don't know half of what you think you do. Chill the gently caress out.

Right, I forgot that anything related to multiplayer is URGENT AS gently caress and must be dealt with immediately, which is why precious development time was allocated to balancing the ruler designer.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DStecks posted:

Right, I forgot that anything related to multiplayer is URGENT AS gently caress and must be dealt with immediately, which is why precious development time was allocated to balancing the ruler designer.

If you cannot handle discussing a game civilly its time to stop paying your internet. Plus that is only the most recent time he has said it.

E: and balancing the ruler designer is simply changes values in the defines its not like it took much dev time.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 21, 2014

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DStecks posted:

Projecting much?

You really overreact a lot when it comes to Paradox games.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DStecks posted:

Projecting much?

I find the best way to prove how sane and level headed I am is to go on rants like these.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

I find the best way to prove how sane and level headed I am is to go on rants like these.

How exactly would you like me to go about calling Darkrenown a smug gently caress? At what level of chillaxedness can my points no longer be dismissed out of hand?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

DStecks posted:

How exactly would you like me to go about calling Darkrenown a smug gently caress? At what level of chillaxedness can my points no longer be dismissed out of hand?

Stop getting mad at masks on the internet.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

Your points were dismissed because they were wrong.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

DStecks posted:

It's pretty much your choice how to read what someone sounds like online.

Anyway, 2/3rds of what you contribute to this thread is good stuff but then there's the 3rd like this where you just look like a fool.

edit: Anyway, I'm winding up my current Norse Empire game as it's just holy warring with no one able to stop me at all and I was wondering what I'd be missing out on starting a new game as catholic but without sons of abraham.

That expansion sort of passed me by. I guess I miss out on messing with the pope and money from Jews? Any of the new muslim changes tied to Sons of Abraham?

NLJP fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 21, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It's more like 50% good posts though the other 20% is more being certain in his error of mechanics.

The only Muslim mechanics really in SoA are the schools one which give you tech points and one that gives extra piety and make the character never decedent.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 21, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rumda posted:

It's more like 50% good posts though the other 20% is more being certain in his error of mechanics

If I ever say something you know to be incorrect, please point it out. I am not being sarcastic, one of the mucky things about this game is how nobody understands 100% of it, so misunderstandings of game mechanics can become distorted into things "everybody knows", and the last thing I want to do is contribute to that.

That was the purpose of me writing the combat-system effortpost, to clear up exactly how the combat system works, because that's something that I feel I understand pretty much completely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

nutranurse posted:

Welp, time to conquer the world as one Artorius of Cornwall. Again.

I almost always start as him too except I always make him Angra Mainyu because the fire must be extinguished. Lux Invicta is a fun loving mod. My other favorite start is Neapolis, because they're Imperial Cultist. I just wish there was an Ancient Egyptian Km culture to go alongside the Ancient Egyptian religions. Doesn't feel right restoring worship of Aten and Re but being called Aarif or Abdul or something.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
So far I been playing as that dude from Antioch and just before he died he went mad and became infirm. I arranged a feast and dancing event came on. As soon I pressed the button to confirm it he died. God Save the Mad King! Cause Of Death:Dancing too much! (I wish that was true he really died bedridden and infirm. But not before knocking up his second wife though!)Now I am playing as a homosexual brave/content and honorable 16 year old.
(Lux Invicta really loving rules why didn't I play this before?)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Dstecks gamers.txt is not this thread.

I'm losing my mind with the Hashimids. My starting Emir died in battle three months in - I restarted because that's not fair and I'm a big baby. Five months in, my starting Emir dies a natural death. Come on. Two months in, my starting Emir fucks himself to death. Nine months in, my starting Emir is wounded and dies on Hajj.

Fifth time round, he lived long enough to become King of Arabia so possibly the curse is lifted.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Thats pretty common with all three of the Arabian dukes. If your starter doesnt die upon start, you can usually make it to two kingdoms in 10 years.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Could the beta address the thing where Raja makes the game run worse than when the PDM guys went insane for a while and totally hosed up their mod? Like can I have an option where I just make useless blob land disappear and have the old map where the game doesn't slow to a horrific crawl at 1000 ad if I start in old gods? I would appreciate that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Janissary Hop posted:

Could the beta address the thing where Raja makes the game run worse than when the PDM guys went insane for a while and totally hosed up their mod? Like can I have an option where I just make useless blob land disappear and have the old map where the game doesn't slow to a horrific crawl at 1000 ad if I start in old gods? I would appreciate that.

definitely not a real solution, but you can roll back to pre-Rajas afaik.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knuc U Kinte posted:

definitely not a real solution, but you can roll back to pre-Rajas afaik.

But then you lose the ability to search for "genius" in the character finder. :(

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Vikings.png

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roland Jones posted:

Pffft - El Cid reputedly inspired troops to win a battle after he was dead.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I see your vikings.png, and raise you a muslims.jpg

From my recent game where I unknowingly declare a Jihad for England instead of Jerusalem and then cried foul when I thought the game had robbed me of my spoils.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

I don't really want to continue the derail, but it's pretty likely I'm going to give similar answers to certain problems in the future so I might as well explain this now. It's not something that didn't occur to us, and it's not something we need to decide how to deal with, it literally is an acknowledged minor problem that we do not have time to fix. I don't see how this is smug or dismissive, it is an honest and reasonable answer reflecting the realities of the situation. We have a bunch of possible UI improvements and minor bug fixes that are at the bottom of the priority list which are unlikely to be fixed until we either run out of higher priority issues or someone is working on the same area and fixes them incidentally. I'd love it if they could all be fixed as they affect me just as much as they do you, but it would be disingenuous of me to answer in any other way.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

I don't really want to continue the derail, but it's pretty likely I'm going to give similar answers to certain problems in the future so I might as well explain this now. It's not something that didn't occur to us, and it's not something we need to decide how to deal with, it literally is an acknowledged minor problem that we do not have time to fix. I don't see how this is smug or dismissive, it is an honest and reasonable answer reflecting the realities of the situation. We have a bunch of possible UI improvements and minor bug fixes that are at the bottom of the priority list which are unlikely to be fixed until we either run out of higher priority issues or someone is working on the same area and fixes them incidentally. I'd love it if they could all be fixed as they affect me just as much as they do you, but it would be disingenuous of me to answer in any other way.

Are you talking about Ironman saves being slow? C'mon, dude. That's a major issue for some players, myself included. I'd love to have yearly or 6 monthly autosaves to at least alleviate some of the pauses.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I care more about the game being playable than whether or not we have a nubian cultural retinue.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
No, his problem was not being able to change the leader of a sieging army without issuing a move order then canceling it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

No, his problem was not being able to change the leader of a sieging army without issuing a move order then canceling it.

Oh sorry, I only saw the conversation you guys were having earlier on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I see your vikings.png, and raise you a muslims.jpg

From my recent game where I unknowingly declare a Jihad for England instead of Jerusalem and then cried foul when I thought the game had robbed me of my spoils.

I blame William Blake.

I shall not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

• Locked thread