Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Darkhold posted:

I'm not sure if it fully fits in this thread but it's given me quite a few chuckles.

UKIP a racist party in the UK (kinda somewhat similar to the TeaParty in the US) asked twitter followers to post why they are voting for them in this upcoming election. Needless to say nearly everyone who is replying are putting up sarcastic jokes.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhyImVotingUkip?src=tren

I also have a pretty funny leaflet pushed through my door by these guys today that I can scan in. It reads like some crazy rambling conspiracy thing if anyone wants to see more of this.
Holy hell that tag is fantastic. I'm at work so I can't screenshot things but I'm going to quote some of the more outstanding ones:

quote:

THOSE BLOODY ROMANS! COMING OVER HERE WITH THEIR AQUEDUCTS AND STEALING OUR JOBS!

quote:

because I have a History exam on Friday and it'll be good to see what the 1930's was like first hand

quote:

because I hate every race on Earth, including my own, and I hate every single human on Earth, including myself.

quote:

because without European interference the Death Star will be complete and operational

quote:

Because I'm sick of meerkats coming over to our country to offer better car insurance.

quote:

because technically without the nazis we wouldn't have the x-men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

"I love you, I just literally think your lifestyle is sinful and that you're a worse person than me"

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I understand that the "like" button might be a little ambiguous to some people for certain topics, but come on.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

theshim posted:

Holy hell that tag is fantastic. I'm at work so I can't screenshot things but I'm going to quote some of the more outstanding ones:

Oh yeah.

quote:

because maybe we'd finally deport that German family squatting in Buckingham Palace.

quote:

Because the other day I was on a train, when I saw someone speaking sign language. Go back to Signland, why don't you.

quote:

Because none of my jeans fit and all my trainers are from camping shops.

quote:

Because I'm worried black people will start breeding with gay people and we'll create a master race of amazing dancers

quote:

I don't want immigrants wearing turbans when they could be hiding Voldemort on the other side.

quote:

BECAUSE ISLAMISTS ARE COMING HERE WITH THEIR MUSLAMIC RAY GUNS AND THEIR SHARON LAW TO TAKE OUR BACON OUT OF SUBWAY

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

:smug:

I'm assuming that by "science" the parent that wrote this statement for their kid to hold up little girl actually meant Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I'm assuming that by "science" the parent that wrote this statement for their kid to hold up little girl actually meant Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Ah, yes, the definite concept of Religion. All Religious people believe in the exact same things about children, and they all agree that they're awful and insignificant, that's what Religion is all about.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Religion says I have God's eternal love and support, and will have eternal bliss in heaven.

Science says the universe doesn't care about me and I will eventually die and cease to exist.

Which do you think is damaging?

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Religion says I have God's eternal love and support, and will have eternal bliss in heaven.

Science says the universe doesn't care about me and I will eventually die and cease to exist.

Which do you think is damaging?

The one that isn't true, duh

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Part of Everything posted:

I understand that the "like" button might be a little ambiguous to some people for certain topics, but come on.

This happened to a friend of mine who announced she has stomach cancer and can't be treated.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Also they forgot that Buddhism is a religion.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I remember when I was potential for greatness.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

SybilVimes posted:

Wasn't that whole 'happy meal never gets moldy' experiment debunked pretty hard and it shown that McD's food will happily go moldy, anyway?

Here's one of the debunkings: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Another person I keep around for stupidity. They actually work for PETA (I live in the same metropolitan area as their headquarters). They post a lot of things like this that show they have little understanding of the feasability of a worldwide vegan diet, charity, poverty, animal rights as anything but the hardline PETA model, etc.

I don't bother calling them out, even being frequently vegan and an animal rights activist myself, because you swiftly learn in this area that getting into slap fights with PETA members is just not worth it.

Well, all I know is, if I make chili from a cow no one cares, but if I made it from malnourished african orphans, there'd be a huge uproar.

I don't care how lean the meat is, I'm sticking with cow.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

cheerfullydrab posted:

Also they forgot that Buddhism is a religion.

I actually read this blog (or maybe it was even a goon here?) from a girl who worked with special needs children, and worked in Thailand for a period of time, where as you may know, Buddhism is prominent. Anyway, I guess according to the beliefs of reincarnation, if you were disabled in any way, be it mentally or physically, it was seen as punishment for something you did in your past life. Because of such, many people with severe disabilities go without much needed care or are abused and it's justified because that person did something so terrible in their past life. Anyway, that's what your post made me think of, though I wouldn't claim to have any personal deep understanding of any religion.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, all I know is, if I make chili from a cow no one cares, but if I made it from malnourished african orphans, there'd be a huge uproar.

I don't care how lean the meat is, I'm sticking with cow.

One less mouth to feed?

1)Don't most religions think children are mostly innocent, just that they need to be raised well?

2)Why would Science, all glory to Carl Sagan Neil Degrasse Tyson Flavor of the Month Scientist*, say that you are beautiful. Even if it did, it wouldn't think that because you're special or whatever, it would do that through a cold, calculated process of measurements and ratios.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Why the gently caress do people think there is one single poorly defined "Science" group set up against some equally vague "Religion" group?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

karl fungus posted:

Why the gently caress do people think there is one single poorly defined "Science" group set up against some equally vague "Religion" group?

Because some people (increasing in number as you approach the American Southeast :911: and probably in other countries' equivalent redneck havens) view the world as a very stark black and white contrast with nothing in between. Something's either with them or against them. Hence, "science" versus "religion" is perfectly valid in their eyes because of course all religions believe the same things and of course all scientists will tell you the same things.

tl;dr: stupidity

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

karl fungus posted:

Because nerds aren't nearly as smart as they think they are.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Is she supposed to be all those bad things because she's a girl, or a child, or a human being or what? My first thought was that she had a disability of some kind and the "science" and "religion" columns had been somehow switched around because i've seen "special needs children are angels/a gift from God" a lot too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kellsterik posted:

Is she supposed to be all those bad things because she's a girl, or a child, or a human being or what? My first thought was that she had a disability of some kind and the "science" and "religion" columns had been somehow switched around because i've seen "special needs children are angels/a gift from God" a lot too.

Born out of wedlock maybe? That's what I immediately thought of. Some people get pretty fired up about that.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Clearly the fact that she's being raised by r/atheists is the most damaging thing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kellsterik posted:

A human being. Original sin, moral fallibility, insignificance before god, et cetera.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

For a bit of extra context, that picture was posted by an ex-teacher of mine who loves reminding people that she's a member of Mensa. Half her posts are macros from gently caress yeah books or I loving love science.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

-109425 :ohdear:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

I somewhat understand the gist of what this guy is saying, but when I look closer I have a hard time comprehending his sentences. And his logic.

AnonymousNarcotics has a new favorite as of 14:03 on May 22, 2014

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I somewhat understand the gist of what this guy is saying, but when I look closer I have a hard time comprehending his sentences. And his logic.

Obviously he got all his learning from YouTube. And his sentence structure from YouTube Comments.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
My newsfeed is full of people sharing "mind unleashed" and "aura human being" type conspiracy and pseudoscience pages so I checked a couple of them out

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Because it's not like there was ever a blockbuster movie that had an image a bit like that as one of it's poster images... :tinfoil:

oh.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

9/1 never forget the day the single tower fell. :911:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

For a bit of extra context, that picture was posted by an ex-teacher of mine who loves reminding people that she's a member of Mensa. Half her posts are macros from gently caress yeah books or I loving love science.

Mensa is a club where you pay annual dues for the privilege of doing crossword puzzles with other dorks once a month

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Two separate people shared this on my feed. There is no :jerkbag: big enough.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

trapped mouse posted:

I've had a couple people share articles on how difficult life is when you're a perfectionist or "over-thinker". People write about their personality types now in the same sanctimonious, weepy way I'm used to seeing only for things like autism or OCD.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

trapped mouse posted:

No, I'm not shy. Now let me list the ways that I am shy.

I can't stand small talk, but will make small talk about my life for hours.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm an introvert. I'm shy. I don't do small talk and am realizing that it's pretty horrible please someone teach me how not even joking.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kraps posted:

I'm an introvert. I'm shy. I don't do small talk and am realizing that it's pretty horrible please someone teach me how not even joking.

There is nothing you can do. You will forever be a nerd a poor, misunderstood soul.

I suggest sharing images that express your angst.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Kraps posted:

Pretend you care about things that you don't really care about.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Time Dissolver posted:

I've had a couple people share articles on how difficult life is when you're a perfectionist or "over-thinker". People write about their personality types now in the same sanctimonious, weepy way I'm used to seeing only for things like autism or OCD.

It's backdoor bragging. "Oh, life is so hard for me because I'm smarter than you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2esfW4gBNao

Although I guess if one is an introvert who has a hard time in social situations, explaining that via facebook photo seems like the right venue.

People overuse OCD as a punchline. "Even when I was a kid, I liked having my crayons in order by color. I'm so OCD, tee hee!" is different than "I will have an anxiety attack unless I am able to fix those out of order crayons right now"

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

canyoneer posted:

People overuse OCD as a punchline. "Even when I was a kid, I liked having my crayons in order by color. I'm so OCD, tee hee!" is different than "I will have an anxiety attack unless I am able to fix those out of order crayons right now"

At least that's an opening to being super autistic and explaining the difference between OCD and OCPD

:goonsay:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

canyoneer posted:

It's backdoor bragging. "Oh, life is so hard for me because I'm smarter than you."
For me it's more "life is hard because I loving loathe every single thing I've ever done and it's all poo poo" :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

trapped mouse posted:

This, and other introvert related comics/pictures, have always come off as being pretty insulting in my opinion. They tend to read more like 'CARE AND FEEDING OF YOUR INTROVERT: Don't make any sudden moves or you may spook the introvert! Let the introvert come to you when it's ready.'

• Locked thread