Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jerry Doyle is super obviously supposed to be a poor man's Bruce Willis but he gains 50 pounds and goes bald over the course of the show so

...mission accomplished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Speaking of very lazy writing, two episodes have identical scenes between Londo and Vir. :v:

Which episodes are these in?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Re: transporter talk, I always thought it was stupid that you could remotely transport things without the use of a transporter pad or some other device. By what mechanism are you physically disassembling and object and reconstructing it without some kid of device at the source and destination to do it? It's essentially magic, and magic tech runs into the problem of "well why couldn't they just do X in Y" situation.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Subyng posted:

Re: transporter talk, I always thought it was stupid that you could remotely transport things without the use of a transporter pad or some other device. By what mechanism are you physically disassembling and object and reconstructing it without some kid of device at the source and destination to do it? It's essentially magic, and magic tech runs into the problem of "well why couldn't they just do X in Y" situation.

I figured the ship could project some kind of field in a certain radius around a fixed point for transport. That's why pattern enhancers were deployed, typically in a triangle shape, and people had to stand within that triangle -- it allowed the ship to established a field in areas where interference prevented a positive lock.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

I assumed that it worked exactly the same as regular beaming up and then beaming back down, they just skipped materializing on the pad on the ship. Lock on, beam them "up" into the pattern buffer, then beam them "down" to the destination.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Snak posted:

I assumed that it worked exactly the same as regular beaming up and then beaming back down, they just skipped materializing on the pad on the ship. Lock on, beam them "up" into the pattern buffer, then beam them "down" to the destination.

Right, but I always thought there should be some kind of physical medium that facilitates the beaming process, which I assumed would be the transporter pad. You stand on the pad, the pad dematerializes you, sends your pattern into the buffer, sends the pattern to the receiver, and the receiver re-materializes you on their pad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Right, but I always thought there should be some kind of physical medium that facilitates the beaming process, which I assumed would be the transporter pad. You stand on the pad, the pad dematerializes you, sends your pattern into the buffer, sends the pattern to the receiver, and the receiver re-materializes you on their pad.

Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. It's just that "beaming down to alien planets" is like, Star Trek's thing.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I always thought it would have been a cool thing (maybe for Enterprise) is that they had to set up some sort of transporter pylons or something around them before they could beam out.

Oh well.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Cat Hatter posted:

Best guess would be that the voice in Ezri's head telling her to kill people was distracting her (and I guess Odo was too busy being bad at his job). Although if I wanted to come up with a technical reason I'd say that all the combat-rated transporter scrambler/redirectors were needed on the front lines and Starfleet Logistics decided that DS9 could make do with just their shields because why would they need to stop 100% of intrastation beaming?
Oh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In reality, the way the transporters operate in Star Trek, they should just be able to do site-site transport for anything. Away team? Beam straight from the bridge.

They are pretty much only there for a narrative purpose. A place was needed to greet guests coming on the ship or to have goodbyes, or to group together before going down to a planet. So, the transporter room was born.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

In reality, the way the transporters operate in Star Trek, they should just be able to do site-site transport for anything. Away team? Beam straight from the bridge.

They are pretty much only there for a narrative purpose. A place was needed to greet guests coming on the ship or to have goodbyes, or to group together before going down to a planet. So, the transporter room was born.

Well transporter pad should remove 90% of the need for a transporter lock, so it probably makes the entire thing take less system resources and allows any idiot to operate the transporter.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Snak posted:

Well transporter pad should remove 90% of the need for a transporter lock, so it probably makes the entire thing take less system resources and allows any idiot to operate the transporter.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gau posted:

I always thought it would have been a cool thing (maybe for Enterprise) is that they had to set up some sort of transporter pylons or something around them before they could beam out.

Oh well.

I imagined the early transporters to be completely incapable of site-to-site transport, requiring the use of drones/probes containing an automated materialization platform slaved to the main transporter that would be launched to a planet's surface or taken aboard a friendly ship. It'd basically be the Morse telegraph to the TOS+ era's wireless radio.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gau posted:

Which episodes are these in?

In Dust to Dust the scene is at 26:39 and in Point of No Return it's the opening scene. They're different scenes, obviously, but huge chunks of the dialog and the scenario is virtually the same. (The version in PoNR is by far the better one.)

"Say instead they are interested in 'dubious pleasures'. The dubious part is important; it doesn't mean anything, but it scares people." :v:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
At least at the time it aired, for me Babylon 5 seemed like borderline-unwatchable poo poo until a switch flipped in my head sometime late in S1 and it suddenly became the best TV I'd ever seen up to that point.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sounds like it made you have a stroke.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vagabundo posted:

I, too, enjoy the work of Claudia Christian :fap:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

I might.

I finished Season 1 last night. This show grows on you, in the sense that I think I need a cream for it. Once you understand that it's more written as a stage play than a TV show, the show does get easier to watch.

My biggest issue is that right now, I'm just bored with Babylon 5 itself. All of the interesting poo poo is happening somewhere else: the Narn vs. Centauri bit, the Minbari caste tensions, even the most interesting part of the Commander (his OMG SECRET BACKSTORY). Meanwhile we're stuck with Second-Rate Bruce Willis, Jesuit Picard With Hair, and Russian Parental Issues (who is russian) (also jewish). The "good" news is that the metaplot has shown up: evil shadowy things being evil and shadowy.

I do enjoy the show taking a lot of avenues that were missed in Star Trek. Religion isn't magically dead because humanity became "enlightened," but Earth is a unified force all the same. Babylon 5's characters feel things in a way that even Enterprise didn't, and their motivations are a lot more clear (if a bit cliche). There's a lot of history and backstory that makes the world feel rich and immersive, and the aliens are much more diverse both visually and philosophically. (The Narn aren't just Klingons, they're a peaceful people who were run the gently caress over by an empire and so they said Never Again in the biggest gently caress-off way possible.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The first series has lots of B5-centric stories (like the Dockers strike, which is a fairly simple parable about how Unions Are Good but is really really small time compared to INTERSTELLAR WAR), the next three series move increasingly away from it (including the one episode where B5 isn't present at all, except in the title sequence) but then due to having to rush the metaplot in the second half of series 4 due to renewal worries the plots coalesce around B5 again for the first half of S5 and so it's less good.

How good people think B5 is at any given point is really highly negatively correlated with "how much day to day station gubbins is on screen?".

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I love how this thread has become a refuge for Babylon 5 chat and Farscape chat. "Give us you tired, your poor, your '90's sci fi..."

Not that I'm complaining. B5 was awesome, and Farscape was better than 90% of Trek. There. I said it.

Speaking of which, Netflix says my next episode on Voyager is "Threshold." :ohdear:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Railing Kill posted:

Speaking of which, Netflix says my next episode on Voyager is "Threshold." :ohdear:

Oh no.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just got my Bajoran Solar sailor in the mail. One of the few ships I've been impressed with.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Railing Kill posted:

Looks like a good excuse to get drunk.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DemeaninDemon posted:

Looks like a good excuse to get drunk.

He's watching Voyager by choice, drinking with a pre-existing psychotic condition is a bad idea

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The science in Threshold might make a little more sense on LSD

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Braga did a little too much LDS with the free speech movement at Berkeley.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Turns out it was a different group entirely.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
This just showed up in my twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/Laslo_Panaflex/status/469584553141882880
https://twitter.com/Laslo_Panaflex/status/469584629511778304

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:stonklol:

If I got a birthday card like that, I'd enter witness protection.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
:gowron:

That sure is a birthday card.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

On the topic of Babylon 5, I leave this without comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftzgcfG7uHE&t=345s

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That guy was also booked by mistake, he has a similar name to a much tougher looking guy that JMS wanted to book.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

One of these days I really aught to watch some Babylon 5. I saw a couple of episodes when I was like 9 or something but it was at some ungodly hour so I didn't stick with it. I remember there being an episode where they visited one of the previous ones, I think it was 4 and then it disappeared or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It sank into the swamp.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My flatmate is watching Threshold. Oh god why

All I wanted was to tidy up my Magic the Gathering deck I never wanted this.

Janeway just told them to "open the space doors" to let out Paris' shuttle that he tweaked up to warp 9.99 in an afternoon.

The lizards are coming. I can see it. I'm going for a smoke.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Data Graham posted:

It sank into the swamp.

I knew it!

mossyfisk posted:

My flatmate is watching Threshold. Oh god why

All I wanted was to tidy up my Magic the Gathering deck I never wanted this.

Janeway just told them to "open the space doors" to let out Paris' shuttle that he tweaked up to warp 9.99 in an afternoon.

The lizards are coming. I can see it. I'm going for a smoke.

Hey smoking is bad for your health.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I realllly want to get into DS9 but season 1 episodes progress so slowly. I mean, it's not bad, it's just that by halfway through the episode I feel like it should be over by now. Can I/should I skip any of it?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Red Crown posted:

I realllly want to get into DS9 but season 1 episodes progress so slowly. I mean, it's not bad, it's just that by halfway through the episode I feel like it should be over by now. Can I/should I skip any of it?

Power through for it is the only way.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Hey smoking is bad for your health.

So is playing dom jot with a Nausicaan, but sometimes you gotta live a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was feeling like Enterprise going to Risa was going to be like the loving Fireworks Factory, but after three episodes they finally made it.

There is a Horgon on Archer's wall with a lit button on it. Must call room service. :wiggle:

edit: it just opens the door :(

• Locked thread