Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

kastein posted:

I've noticed that if I hang back at a respectable/normal masshole distance (I refuse to tailgate) and flick my passing lights, about 40% of idiots plugging up the left lane will notice by the third or fourth time I do it.

So yeah, if you aren't flicking your passing lights at the oblivious idiot, I'm gonna pass you on the right and do it for you, sorry. Then we can hopefully both pass the idiot before they go right back into the left lane to hang out again because 65 in the middle lane is nowhere near as cool as 65 in the left lane.

I have stopped flashing people because people seem to take it as a sign of hostility now. I mean, it makes sense. If they're unfamiliar enough with the rules of the road that they park in the left lane, they're too ignorant to know that flashing means "excuse me". I can't tell you how many times I've flashed someone, they do nothing, and when I finally pass on the right they then flash me back as if it's the same thing as a flipoff or something.

My biggest frustration lately is highway 285 between 470 and Santa Fe here in Denver. Last year they did a shitload of bridge construction improving everything, then raised the speed limit to 65. Nobody seems to have noticed and I always get stuck behind a pair of assholes doing 55 side by side. Which is hilarious because back when it was 55 everyone did 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
From my 4 years living in Colorado all I can say is lmao drivers there drive hilariously slow.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Yeah, flashing seem to have little effect here in Colorado. In my experience, most folks ignore it. I've had one person point to the right lane in a "hey dumb gently caress, you can pass me on the right" immediately after a "keep right except to pass" sign

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Automotive Insanity › These are the people you share a road with: the rear end in a top hat was inside us all along

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

subx posted:

Seeing as he's talking about a hill, I'm assuming he means the trucker is going flat out (but still slow) to pass some other trucker going very slightly slower.

Most of the interstates around here have "Trucks right lane only" on the steeper hills nowadays.

If either truck was capable of getting a run at the hill, there likely wouldn't be a problem as they'd be well separated half way up.

I've got most of the deep river valley plagued highway 43 from whitecourt to valleyview memorized, and i know what speed i have to be doing at the bottom of a hill to still be doing a reasonable speed at the top of it, and that speed is never 62mph. there have been jobs where the company trucks were taking 8 hours a trip, and doing 3 trips every 2 days, and i was taking 6 hours a trip and going 5 ever 2 days.

So my options on the hills with only 2 lanes are:

1. dealing with trucks creeping in the right lane because they couldn't hit 120 at the bottom of the hill and cars in the left lane angered that there is a truck in front of them

or

2. lose $1000 a day in revenueand burn more fuel slowly creeping up hills

I try to inconvenience people as little as possible, but in the end you can't please everybody. Some people get pissed if there's a truck in the fast lane, even if it's keeping speed with all the cars ahead of it. I've been doing 130(kph) with someone tailgating me, and as soon as i move over, they speed up to pass, realize they have to do 140 to pass me, pussy the gently caress out and then sit in my blind spot for 10 minutes.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 20, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

Automotive Insanity › These are the people you share a road with: the rear end in a top hat was inside us all along

I wear driving gloves though so...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

If either truck was capable of getting a run at the hill, there likely wouldn't be a problem.

The hill is actually a mountain so getting a run at it is kinda a losing prospect no matter what if you are a loaded truck. I'm just glad I can take the small 2 lane up the mountain and catch the interstate at the top (it is literally just as fast, I've timed it going both up and down on both routes multiple times) because every time I try the interstate I get stuck behind trucks having a slow-drag. On the smaller road there is so little traffic that it's not an issue.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

The hill is actually a mountain so getting a run at it is kinda a losing prospect no matter what if you are a loaded truck. I'm just glad I can take the small 2 lane up the mountain and catch the interstate at the top (it is literally just as fast, I've timed it going both up and down on both routes multiple times) because every time I try the interstate I get stuck behind trucks having a slow-drag. On the smaller road there is so little traffic that it's not an issue.

Yeah, but if truck A is loaded at 60,000lbs, and truck B is loaded at 80,000lbs, and both limited to 62mph at the bottom of the hill, it will take 5 minutes for truck A to pass truck B. If truck A can do 72 with B still limited to 62, he can pass in a few seconds anywhere on the hill as there will be a large speed differential. If truck A was limited to 62, and truck B could be 72, they would likely be doing the same speed mid-hill, so no need for passing. If both could do 72, the speed limit is 65, and you're traveling the speed limit, if they get a run at the hill the passing could be nearly complete by the time you caught up.

Then again, if the drivers would be willing to do 65 in a 65 even if they weren't limited, there probably wouldn't be a need for limited trucks.
Then again, if the company wasn't pushing the drivers so hard, forcing them to have a perfect, problem free, traffic free, construction free, mechanical issue free day to earn a reasonable wage, they wouldn't have the incentive to speed.
Then again, if you didn't demand dirt cheap goods with nearly unlimited choice, trucking wouldn't be such a narrow margin business.

So really, this is all your fault.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Related to my earlier post about slow fucks in the left lane and all this new talk about trucks:
You get one truck passing another (Illinois, so no hills getting in the way) and a few cars get stuck behind. Once the truck finishes the pass, but before he can get back to the right, someone always gets impatient and passes the truck on the right. The truck doesn't move over because now there is a car there, another driver gets pissed, and passes on the right. Rinse and repeat.

I personally like it when after a couple of cars the trucker says "gently caress it" and just moves back to the right as yet another car goes to pass, blocking the impatient guy in the right lane while everyone in the left lane just accelerates away like they were supposed to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Powershift posted:

So really, this is all your fault.

Whenever I see trucks slow dragging I start swerving all over the road and furiously screaming about Obama and the lack of rail transportation expansion.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Whenever I see trucks slow dragging I start swerving all over the road and furiously screaming about Obama and the lack of rail transportation expansion.

That's why i can't wait for president christie in 2016.

A gun in every school, and a rail line to every grocery store.

edit: if anybody here is still SERIOUSLY angry about trucks slowing them down, go watch some russian dash cam videos on youtube. Much better to be stuck behind one than stuck under one.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The only time I rage at trucks is when I get stuck behind one on an on ramp and even then it's really not their fault but getting to the merge point at 37 mph doesn't leave me much room to accelerate into traffic with my slow rear end car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually go even slower than they do on on-ramps if that happens. Everyone behind me is PISSED till the truck is out of the way and I boot it and merge cleanly, then they are still pissed because I swear 99% of the driving public is too stupid to know an empty road when they see it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rscott posted:

The only time I rage at trucks is when I get stuck behind one on an on ramp and even then it's really not their fault but getting to the merge point at 37 mph doesn't leave me much room to accelerate into traffic with my slow rear end car.

Whenever that happens to me I figure I'm just going to enjoy an effortless merge, even if it's at 35 mph. People gonna leave plenty of room for that truck.

Also this reminds me of when I found out some parts of the interstates in New Mexico don't have merging lanes, as I exited an uphill on-ramp directly in front of a semi.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Also this reminds me of when I found out some parts of the interstates in New Mexico don't have merging lanes, as I exited an uphill on-ramp directly in front of a semi.

First time I was on the interstate I did that in the driving class' 15 year old station wagon that would overheat and die if it idled too long. In the burbs where everyone does 15 over.

Driving instructor: "Go faster!"
Me: "I'm flooring it!"
Wagon: "I'm just going to take my time here, m'kay?"

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've done it, I've found the worst drivers in North America in New Orleans.

All the obliviousness of the stereotypical 'asian driver' with the aggressiveness of a road raging moron, all tossed into a terrible hosed up road system with no lane lines.

Twice in one week I had someone STOP on a freeway onramp becase they didnt accelerate and were too afraid to merge. Both times I was looking over my shoulder to find my gap, luckily I had a passenger that was able to yell for me to stop.

Also no one here signals, stopping in a traffic lane to turn left? Who needs to signal, slamming on your brakes to turn into a parking lot? gently caress signaling right? I got yelled at moving into the right turn 'gap' to make a right when the 3 cars in front of me ended up turning into me from the left side of through lane without signaling, all 3 of them failed to signal.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

D C posted:

All the obliviousness of the stereotypical 'asian driver' with the aggressiveness of a road raging moron, all tossed into a terrible hosed up road system with no lane lines.

Twice in one week I had someone STOP on a freeway onramp becase they didnt accelerate and were too afraid to merge. Both times I was looking over my shoulder to find my gap, luckily I had a passenger that was able to yell for me to stop.

Also no one here signals, stopping in a traffic lane to turn left? Who needs to signal, slamming on your brakes to turn into a parking lot? gently caress signaling right? I got yelled at moving into the right turn 'gap' to make a right when the 3 cars in front of me ended up turning into me from the left side of through lane without signaling, all 3 of them failed to signal.

I see all of those things in Los Angeles on a daily basis. I think just every big city has lovely drivers with lax regulation.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

D C posted:

Having spent 20 years living in Atlanta while visiting New Orleans as often as possible, I'm going to vote Atlanta over New Orleans. Everything you list is pretty common.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Brigdh posted:

Yeah, flashing seem to have little effect here in Colorado. In my experience, most folks ignore it. I've had one person point to the right lane in a "hey dumb gently caress, you can pass me on the right" immediately after a "keep right except to pass" sign

Here in Texas it seems to be a threat. I've have people slam on the brakes on an 85mph toll road, or lose their poo poo entirely and follow you wherever you're going. Most of the people move when you come up but I've all but given up on the brights.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BoostCreep posted:

I see all of those things in Los Angeles on a daily basis. I think just every big city has lovely drivers with lax regulation.

I grew up in Los Angeles, it doesnt hold a candle to the terribleness here.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Las Vegas is by far the worst city I have ever driven in as far as other drivers go. Cab drivers there are utter morons.

That said its a great city to hoon around at night in the suburbs. Long, wide, well lit, smooth asphalt roads for miles. :)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Here in Texas it seems to be a threat. I've have people slam on the brakes on an 85mph toll road, or lose their poo poo entirely and follow you wherever you're going. Most of the people move when you come up but I've all but given up on the brights.
Near as I can tell, flashing high beams means one of three things: It might be a good idea to have your headlights on at 10pm, cop running radar ahead, or MOVE rear end in a top hat. Frankly I never had the idea that it was any variation at all of "scuse me I'm in a rush." :shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 15, 2018

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but if truck A is loaded at 60,000lbs, and truck B is loaded at 80,000lbs, and both limited to 62mph at the bottom of the hill, it will take 5 minutes for truck A to pass truck B. If truck A can do 72 with B still limited to 62, he can pass in a few seconds anywhere on the hill as there will be a large speed differential. If truck A was limited to 62, and truck B could be 72, they would likely be doing the same speed mid-hill, so no need for passing. If both could do 72, the speed limit is 65, and you're traveling the speed limit, if they get a run at the hill the passing could be nearly complete by the time you caught up.

This is all well and great, but unless the two truckers work for the same company or more realistically are communicating via radio, they have no way of knowing this. And if you are knowing this, why can't you just say 'let me in, fucker.'

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I was tempted to do this a few weeks ago on my roadtrip to Vegas but I didn't feel like getting pulled over.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Chinatown posted:

I was tempted to do this a few weeks ago on my roadtrip to Vegas but I didn't feel like getting pulled over.

I knew the guy who has (or had, I haven't seen him in years) the CA license plate RVO3VOM.

He was, predictably, a bit of a douche.

\/\/ sticker on windshield header that says "MOVE ->" when read in a rearview mirror.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Chinatown posted:

Hard park your Cobalt? I don't think that's a ticketable offense but yeah, I'd be pretty embarrassed to be caught doing that too

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

D C posted:

Don't worry, soon there will be another flood to cleanse the bayou.

I used to like truckers, until I realized soo many of them are like 18 or 19 years old and drive like dip-shits due to lack of experience. Sure the old timers might not be assholes, but gently caress the new guys. I've been tailgated too many times, I don't care if you are bigger, you're license will be hosed if you hit my car just because you can. Truckers here seem to be obsessed with driving the speed limit in the fast lane or having an elephant race on a four lane highway for seven miles at 55mph. Today during rush hour I had the joy of watching a semi hauling a load of sod stop on a steep on ramp, then just say gently caress it and pull out straight into the far left lane, I watched three cars in front of me take the shoulder to avoid being hit by that rear end in a top hat.

Xzzy, I think you're the worst piece of poo poo on the road for being all passive aggressive. If you don't want people to cut you off, don't give them a reason to. I know I am an rear end in a top hat, and if I see another driver in the fast lane talking on their cellphone doing 10mph under the speed limit, I will cut them off to let as my way of saying gently caress you. I'm sure it's a bad habbit, but I also know I'm not the only driver who would do that. Driving slow and "following the rules" only to piss people off will *gasp* cause road rage around you.

I had a passive aggressive minivan this morning, I was in the fast lane going 75mph, I saw a semi in the right lane traveling at approximately 55mph. There was a minivan behind the semi travelling at probably 60mph, the minivan decided they needed to pass the semi right before I passed the minivan. Since I was traveling a lot faster than the minivan, I ended up quite close to the minivan after they pulled in front of me. Whatever, they are just trying to pass the semi, I started to slow down to try to give them space, but apparently I was not braking fast enough. As I braked the van braked even more, we ended up with the minivan traveling at 50mph just barely ahead of the truck, I had no way of possibly switching lanes, cars were piling in behind me, a half mile of tractor trailer was beside me, and a passive aggressive jackass was in front of me. . . To make all of this even more fun, the highway was coming to a Y intersection, right lane going north, left lane going south. I needed the right lane, minivan and the trucker needed the left lane. How did this all end? The trucker chose to be a huge rear end in a top hat and forced me onto the shoulder, I ended up taking the wrong exit and being 20min late to work, all because of some passive aggressive piece of poo poo policing the road.

The only time that I do anything passive aggressive is when I am on a nearly empty four lane highway going 75mph, and I see a car come barreling up behind me in the right lane, when the left lane is completely empty and available for them to pass. When that poo poo happens, I wait about a minute for them to pass, and then I shut off the cruise control to coast down to 70mph, I find that to be enough to make it obvious that I don't want them behind me that close. Ninety percent of the time, the end result is that the other vehicle will switch lanes and pass me (usually with a one fingered salute, not like I care) or on rare occasions the tailgating vehicle will simply slow down and leave a bigger gap, at which point I resume speed and they match my speed.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 21, 2014

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Uthor posted:

Related to my earlier post about slow fucks in the left lane and all this new talk about trucks:
You get one truck passing another (Illinois, so no hills getting in the way) and a few cars get stuck behind. Once the truck finishes the pass, but before he can get back to the right, someone always gets impatient and passes the truck on the right. The truck doesn't move over because now there is a car there, another driver gets pissed, and passes on the right. Rinse and repeat.

This. Oh god this every single loving day.

I always mentally picture IntercepterV8s avatar when it happens "Right Side Suicide :kheldragar:"

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

LloydDobler posted:

Then you posted the exact location so we could internet detective you and rat you out for going 55 in a 35. I'm all for speeding but 20 over in a busy urban setting is pretty dangerous. She probably had plenty of room if you were driving sanely. You are the people with which we share the road. On the other hand, as close as you were to that next intersection I think you either made a typo or overestimated your speed.

I over estimated my speed in my post. I wasn't going 20 over. Most I go is maybe 10 over, if that. She really did swerve into my lane and almost took me out trying to go to a turn. She didn't have plenty of room to swerve into without signalling, swerving back into her lane after I honked, and then swerving back across my lane a second later. Instead of using her signal and planning ahead, she decided to GO GO GO.

I should edit my post. :doh:

edit: I did about 450 miles in the last couple days, and aside from that lady, the only other thing that happened was a guy in a pick up riding about a car length behind with his high beams on. I pulled over where I could and let him pass. Being blinded was pretty fun.

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 21, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My gym is part of a large shopping plaza with several large connected parking lots. It gets me boiling when other drivers act as though all paved areas, parking spots or not, are free game to drive through at 30mph as long as no cars are parked there. I've almost gotten t-boned several times because I'm properly following my lane toward a stop sign and some rear end in a top hat comes blazing diagonally across eighty parking spots headed toward the same stop sign I'm headed toward and they have to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting me. Then I'm the one who gets the dirty look.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

The Midniter posted:

My gym is part of a large shopping plaza with several large connected parking lots. It gets me boiling when other drivers act as though all paved areas, parking spots or not, are free game to drive through at 30mph as long as no cars are parked there. I've almost gotten t-boned several times because I'm properly following my lane toward a stop sign and some rear end in a top hat comes blazing diagonally across eighty parking spots headed toward the same stop sign I'm headed toward and they have to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting me. Then I'm the one who gets the dirty look.

Everyone knows empty lots are for sweet drifts :rice:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I've already said this once, and I'm saying it again; gently caress Connecticut "Livery" drivers.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LloydDobler posted:

I have stopped flashing people because people seem to take it as a sign of hostility now. I mean, it makes sense. If they're unfamiliar enough with the rules of the road that they park in the left lane, they're too ignorant to know that flashing means "excuse me". I can't tell you how many times I've flashed someone, they do nothing, and when I finally pass on the right they then flash me back as if it's the same thing as a flipoff or something.

Here in the Seattle area, folks take a friendly flash of the lights as an excuse to slam on the brakes at speed and if they're real assholes they'll move from lane to lane to make sure you cannot pass them.

Then you hear the same people on the radio or tv going ":ohdear: I was minding my own business just under the speed limit and this aggressive driver was behind me. He flashed his lights at me :ohdear: he was so aggressive! So I did what any right minded person would do and I slowed down [really loving fast almost causing an accident] and taught them a valuable lesson! What's the rush for, there's no reason anyone needs to travel faster than I am!:ohdear:

Then they go on to complain about having to pull over when there are five+ vehicles behind them (as state law says) even if "they're mostly going the speed limit". loving christ.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Solkanar512 posted:

Here in the Seattle area, folks take a friendly flash of the lights as an excuse to slam on the brakes at speed and if they're real assholes they'll move from lane to lane to make sure you cannot pass them.

Then you hear the same people on the radio or tv going ":ohdear: I was minding my own business just under the speed limit and this aggressive driver was behind me. He flashed his lights at me :ohdear: he was so aggressive! So I did what any right minded person would do and I slowed down [really loving fast almost causing an accident] and taught them a valuable lesson! What's the rush for, there's no reason anyone needs to travel faster than I am!:ohdear:

Then they go on to complain about having to pull over when there are five+ vehicles behind them (as state law says) even if "they're mostly going the speed limit". loving christ.

And then those same assholes come down to Palm Springs for the winter and do the same thing to me! If there is one thing I like about 4 months of 100+ F temps, it is that most (certainly not all) of the bad drivers go home for the summer and the roads here clear up.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Pretty sure this poo poo right here is why we cant ever flash headlights at people again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing#Urban_legend I find it hard to believe that a gang would just randomly choose someone going down the highway to hunt down, doesn't your average gang member have more important poo poo to do like gang banging and selling :420:??

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Did you really just link to an urban legend - which even Wikipedia specifically states is an urban legend - as a reason why you shouldn't flash your lights at people?

It's an urban legend. That means it is not true.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

It's an urban legend. That means it is not true.

But scared people who react without thinking about the consequences of their actions might not know that. Thus, you flash your lights at someone who's doing something stupid, and they react poorly.

I guess that is the point? I've never heard that legend until now.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Raluek posted:

But scared people who react without thinking about the consequences of their actions might not know that. Thus, you flash your lights at someone who's doing something stupid, and they react poorly.

But does that even make sense? The urban legend was that they would chase down the people who flashed their lights, not the people who had lights flashed at them. I mean, stupid people are stupid, so I guess it could still apply to someone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek posted:

At this point you're really reaching, though - the urban legend is that if you flash your lights (specifically at a car with theirs off at night), you will be shot and killed in a gang initiation. (Which is false.)

You've gone from that to "if I flash my lights at someone else they'll think I'm going to gang initiate myself and shoot them" or something.

It's not even the same flashing - if you want to indicate that someone has their lights off, you switch yours off and back on. Flashing the highbeams is completely separate from that.