Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatshesaid posted:

A friend just had a brilliant idea: "Dude, why don't we make vodka ice cubes?!--That way, when the ice melts, the drink won't be all watered down! :downs: "

Stay in school, kids.

I tried this with wine and they kinda-sorta froze. Found it was a lot better to put them in a bowl, mash them up with a spoon, and enjoy a wine slushy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm going to trade in my bachelorette card in less than a week for tax breaks and discounted health insurance, but I don't intend to start living any differently. Bachelor is a state of mind and I'm staying there. We already live together and act goony together, and I introduced him to shower beers, so I don't see either of us magically changing our behaviors any time soon.

Right now my fiance is out of town for his bachelor party in Vegas (lucky rear end in a top hat :argh:) and our roommates aren't home so I have no fucks to give about anything. My sister is flying in tomorrow and we're going to get shitfaced on wine or ginger beer cocktails or something like that while I try to finish sewing my goddamn dress. Then I'm going to glue a tiny veil and bow tie on a pair of plastic dinosaur figurines because gently caress traditional cake toppers. Brontosaurus 4 lyfe. :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mizufusion posted:

Brontosaurus 4 lyfe. :colbert:

Brontosaurus 4 never :colbert:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Good job ruining someone's wedding. :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Taeke posted:

Good job ruining someone's wedding. :colbert:

It's cool, just call them by their proper name, Apatosaurus.

It's not like we're comparing Allosaurs to Tyrannosaurs here.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JEEVES420 posted:

Beer cubes works wonders for warm beer. Vodka doesnt freeze, as been mentioned, and watered down vodka defeats the purpose. Ice cube shot glasses are the way to go.

drinking Bloody Mary's listening to music as loud as I can in my new house as a bachelor owns.

edit: Been a Bachelor, decided to buy a house instead of pay rent.

I used frozen mugs for beer. Is it a bad idea to use frozen/chilled glasses for booze?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Just leave the vodka in the freezer.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Red posted:

I used frozen mugs for beer. Is it a bad idea to use frozen/chilled glasses for booze?

No, it's a great idea, unless you're a giant pussy like me. I get cold when I drink, especially if it's something with ice. I have to wrap my drinks in several layers of paper towels to be able to hold them. A frozen glass would probably give me frostbite.

My vodka's permanent home is in the freezer. But my goofy friend momentarily thought you could freeze it in ice cube form.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You can. Just not in your freezer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can. Just not in your freezer.

Everything can be both frozen and boiled, you just need the right temperature. Water is the best example because it's easy to make it into it's three forms. Freeze it and it becomes ice, boil it and it becomes a gas, steam. Everything in between is it's liquid form.

Alcohol can do that too, it just has a lower freeze point (and boiling point, which is why it's great for cooking with).

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

It's cool, just call them by their proper name, Apatosaurus.

It's not like we're comparing Allosaurs to Tyrannosaurs here.

The bottom of the plastic figurine actually says apatosaurus but I refuse to call it that. The tyrannosaurus still says tyrannosaurus, though.

My sister's flight was bumped to tomorrow, and I have no idea where my roommates are so I have one more night of pants-optional living. Just went to the store for dinner and ended up with wine, ginger beer, lemons and limes for my drinks, ice cream, and a giant package of steak. Steak which I have to eat all by myself because my sister is vegetarian. :buddy:

The only problem is I didn't realize we were out of vodka, gin, and some rear end in a top hat left less than a shot of Kraken in the bottle, so all I have to mix with my ginger beer is Sailor Jerry's which is also running out quickly. Fortunately there is plenty of other booze because I sure as hell don't feel like walking to the store again. Gonna make whiskey sours and get weatherproof while listening to the Reverend Horton Heat all night. His entire discography is like a soundtrack for bachelor living.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sometimes it feels like I'm the last person on Earth who drinks liquor at room temperature.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Sometimes it feels like I'm the last person on Earth who drinks liquor at room temperature.

Nope.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Depends on what I'm drinking. If it's a mixed drink, yeah, it better have ice. If I'm sipping something like Scotch, it better be neat. No ice, no goddamn rocks, just a glass of Scotch.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
I look forward to the day that I'm able to drink a hard liquor straight without having to choke it down or otherwise hide my disgust and pain. I drank some top shelf bourbon with a guy at a party once and complimented its smoothness, but inside I didn't particularly enjoy it.
Some day. :sigh:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

whatshesaid posted:

I look forward to the day that I'm able to drink a hard liquor straight without having to choke it down or otherwise hide my disgust and pain. I drank some top shelf bourbon with a guy at a party once and complimented its smoothness, but inside I didn't particularly enjoy it.

Practice more.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Drink and Fight posted:

Practice more.

That's whatshesaid.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

Practice more.

:patriot: Will try.

e:

VendaGoat posted:

That's whatshesaid.

Aww, yea

whatshesaid has a new favorite as of 06:53 on May 20, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Iron Crowned posted:

Everything can be both frozen and boiled, you just need the right temperature.
Not everything. Helium, for instance, will remain liquid even at absolute zero. It needs to be pressurized to 29 atmospheres to freeze.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatshesaid posted:

When I moved to Japan I switched to whiskey, because it was 1) cheaper 2) I only get recyclables collected once a month and whiskey bottles take up less space then cans, which aren't supposed to be crushed 3) I got really, really sick of only having a choice between Kirin, Asahi, and Sapporo (which aren't terrible beers but the lack of variety here just makes me feel rebellious).

I started with water and ice, then ice and letting the ice melt a bit, then less ice, then neat (all with lovely $7 Black Nikka, I later made the mistake of trying nicer stuff). I genuinely enjoy sipping a whiskey, bourbon, or scotch while watching something or working on photos, or at least I did before I gave up weeknight drinking in favor of being less of a fatty :sigh:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I bought housemate a bottle of Glenfiddich for his birthday and the pair of us trying to be cool and drink it neat was probably hilarious to watch.

It was really nice but I couldn't finish a glass. We eventually relented and drank it with lemonade and ginger ale.

Shameful bachelors.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My lady friend bought me this sweet 70s playboy book on mixed drinks. It suggests having at least 4 different whiskeys on hand and I am so ready for this.

Shower whiskey and then im making guiness and steak pie today. This is the life.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Nasgate posted:

My lady friend bought me this sweet 70s playboy book on mixed drinks. It suggests having at least 4 different whiskeys on hand and I am so ready for this.

Maybe twenty years ago I picked up the Esquire Party Book, which is basically a cookbook with recipe pairings. And every suggested meal -- including breakfast -- features at least two different mixed drinks. It's like a training regimen for building a body like J. Edgar Hoover's.*

* Middle-aged J. Edgar. If you look like young J.E.H., you're doing better than most. Witness:

Edit: I can't close tags!

Brainworm has a new favorite as of 05:35 on May 21, 2014

djbaseball24
Nov 27, 2006

titties posted:

Please tell me where you're watching World's Most eXtreme Elimination Challenge at, I need it in my life

They have all of them on Hulu.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

djbaseball24 posted:

They have all of them on Hulu.

:argh: I am boycotting Hulu, I'M SURE THEY WILL NOTICE

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

titties posted:

:argh: I am boycotting Hulu, I'M SURE THEY WILL NOTICE

I have it all on my computer! I also ran out of vodka and kraken, but the slailor jerry and gin and fireball will carry me through!

Fake edit: I think it on youtubr too.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nasgate posted:

Shower whiskey and then im making guiness and steak pie today. This is the life.

I think I have this book. I bought it from the library for $1.

All the recipes called for at least 5 different ingredients so I never bothered to make any because I am happier drinking Senator's Club than mixing egg whites with Contreau, Campari, Triple Sec and gin plus lemon zest.

Today I made some bbq chicken and now I am sitting on my apartment balcony watching the planes go by while drinking beer. Life is good. :cheers:

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

*Slight derail* Do you give any credence to the theory that J Edgar was mulatto?

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/therootdc/post/was-j-edgar-hoover-black/2011/11/20/gIQAZcu3kN_blog.html

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I think I have this book. I bought it from the library for $1.

All the recipes called for at least 5 different ingredients so I never bothered to make any because I am happier drinking Senator's Club than mixing egg whites with Contreau, Campari, Triple Sec and gin plus lemon zest.

Today I made some bbq chicken and now I am sitting on my apartment balcony watching the planes go by while drinking beer. Life is good. :cheers:

I see the recipes as excuses to buy more booze and tasty drink stuff. It's weird though that the irish coffee recipe calls for sugar in a specific amount. Probably just because I'm a straight black kind of guy.

Woop woop, drinking booze next to my sound system. Life is grand at times like these :cheers:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I may have broken my toe tripping over a box of weights while trying not to spill my ramen.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Nasgate posted:

I see the recipes as excuses to buy more booze and tasty drink stuff. It's weird though that the irish coffee recipe calls for sugar in a specific amount. Probably just because I'm a straight black kind of guy.

Woop woop, drinking booze next to my sound system. Life is grand at times like these :cheers:

If you're making an Irish with cream and such the sugar helps the cream float, because sugar has the propensity of increasing the coffee's density.

I found my old cocktail shaker two nights ago, so I ended up making martinis, but instead of vermouth I just used vodka and bitters. Tastes great and gets you smashed fast!

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

I may have broken my toe tripping over a box of weights while trying not to spill my ramen.

:ohdear:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zemyla posted:

Not everything. Helium, for instance, will remain liquid even at absolute zero. It needs to be pressurized to 29 atmospheres to freeze.

Carbon will also sublime straight from a solid to a gas.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Don't worry, I'm sure the ramen was fine.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure the ramen was fine.

No, I spilled a bit. It was good ramen from the ramen shop too :(

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Drink and Fight posted:

No, I spilled a bit. It was good ramen from the ramen shop too :(

Just means more calories for booze!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
French toast and a pale ale is dinner, right?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ensign Expendable posted:

French toast and a pale ale is dinner, right?

Beer is always an acceptable dinner. Interesting choice having French toast as as a side, though.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Dinner for me was cheap wine and half a curry chip my housemate brought home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Got poo poo-canned from work last month with 3 months severance and have been living the dream since. Wake up when I want with a bong rip to meet the day, beer with breakfast, shower after a run with the dog, video games/Netflix/HBOGO until my eyes bleed, dinner of some sort (maybe I'll make a nice steak meal; alternatively, I'll just eat an entire tub of hummus), start up till 3 reading the internet. Pretty awesome.

Only downside is knowing I will eventually need to look for a job to avoid starvation (but that's many months away with how much I saved up from the last 18 months work). Oh well, time for another drink.

• Locked thread