Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
It's hard to imagine you getting over 80 degrees with a normal workload if you can't get over 80 degrees with small fft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

stickyfngrdboy posted:

So even at 100% load it's still 5 below maximum, so is overheating not the issue I thought it was? Sorry if this is too much for this thread, if there's a better place please point me there thanks everyone again.
You've already confirmed overheating is the issue, further testing is not helpful. You need to correct the overheating problem.

Ignoarints posted:

It's hard to imagine you getting over 80 degrees with a normal workload if you can't get over 80 degrees with small fft.
It's a laptop, there's a shared heatsink for the CPU and GPU, so if you're only running a CPU stress test you're not going to get accurate load temperatures. The screenshot you quoted clearly showed that the CPU had been throttling due to overheating so there wasn't much point to having him run another test.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Alereon posted:

You've already confirmed overheating is the issue, further testing is not helpful. You need to correct the overheating problem.
It's a laptop, there's a shared heatsink for the CPU and GPU, so if you're only running a CPU stress test you're not going to get accurate load temperatures. The screenshot you quoted clearly showed that the CPU had been throttling due to overheating so there wasn't much point to having him run another test.

Ohh ok, that makes sense. Definitely not something I'm accustomed to (laptops are just internet boxes for me :/)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Alereon posted:

I'm definitely taking it to bits then. Thanks, fella.

Thanks other guy for making me do poo poo I didn't need to!!

(just kidding pal all good thanks anyway)

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I asked this in the part-picking thread, but I probably should've asked here instead:

Has anyone ever experienced a weird chemical-like smell coming from one of those sealed water-cooling blocks? I recently put a Corsair H90 in my PC and I'm now noticing a strong, almost rubbery (but not burnt) smell inside the case when I open it, and coming out the back (where the case exhausts) when its running. I can't see any visible leaking, but the smell is definitely coming from the cooler.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Portfolio posted:

I asked this in the part-picking thread, but I probably should've asked here instead:

Has anyone ever experienced a weird chemical-like smell coming from one of those sealed water-cooling blocks? I recently put a Corsair H90 in my PC and I'm now noticing a strong, almost rubbery (but not burnt) smell inside the case when I open it, and coming out the back (where the case exhausts) when its running. I can't see any visible leaking, but the smell is definitely coming from the cooler.
This could be the pump or other electronics failing, but it could also be a small leak. The coolant is water plus some chemicals as a biocide and corrosion inhibitor, you could probably smell that.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I actually don't know what's inside them, although in the parts thread you mentioned antifreeze which I don't believe they'd use. I imagine it's just water with perhaps some additive to keep crap from growing in it (maybe anti corrosive for the copper?)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Update : I took it apart, cleaned the fan, did nothing else, put everything back in the right place, and now the laptop won't turn on. The power light comes on, the fan spins for a couple of seconds, then stops, and the display stays dark. The power light stays lit til I power it off. Is there something really obvious that might explain this or did I kill it?

Sorry / thanks again.

Edit; nm the ram wasn't seated right

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 19, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Okay so for some reason I fiddled with the settings in Max Payne 3 and instead of my GPU almost peaking 70c under full load it's snugly inbetween 53c and 54c.

In general my temperatures are down. I did absolutely nothing to my system. I dunno if I should be worried. The games look fine too. Just that graphical error I posted last page.

I have a GTX760. Also I have an i5 4670k if that matters.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

stickyfngrdboy posted:

cleaned the fan

When you're cleaning the fan are you literally just cleaning the fan blades or have you tried blowing out the heatsink the fan blows through with some compressed air?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Geoj posted:

When you're cleaning the fan are you literally just cleaning the fan blades or have you tried blowing out the heatsink the fan blows through with some compressed air?

I didn't have any compressed air left, but I tried to blow the heatsink out manually with my lungs. I'm off to get some air tomorrow to try again.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Great, now I've gotten my PC fixed up, I'm terrified about overheating. What should I know about heat and cool? What should I be worried about? Is there any special reading I should do to understand better?

I'm loving terrified of something breaking and costing even MORE money than I've already spent.

I'm very much a know-nothing, so my question is very vague, I guess.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 21, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bloodly posted:

Great, now I've gotten my PC fixed up, I'm terrified about overheating. What should I know about heat and cool? What should I be worried about? Is there any special reading I should do to understand better?

I'm loving terrified of something breaking and costing even MORE money than I've already spent.

I'm very much a know-nothing, so my question is very vague, I guess.

Everything has thermal cutoffs programmed into them, and you really don't need to worry about it unless you're overclocking, in which case you would already know the answers.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Also posted this in NAS thread but realized this might be a better place for it:

Quick question: I'm making a cheap freenas box - just to play around and learn with - it will not hold any important data at this point (no ZFS). I am especially interested in the serviio and other video streaming functionality.

I am looking at the cheap haswell's for a cpu. My question is - does better cpu graphic = better streaming? ie - will i see a significant improvement in streaming performance moving up from celeron to something with 4xxx graphics (all other things being equal).

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Can a power supply push too much power into a graphics card or another component? I'm experiencing a few weird things here and there that may indicate somthing is up with my graphics/psu. Also I connected my card's power cables to both the motherboard and PSU sockets, I'm not sure I should have done that.

I have: (nothing is overclocked)
i5 4670k processor
760 gtx graphics card
Corsair RM 750 PSU
Asustek Z87-A motherboard.

Basically I want to make sure that nothing Is overclocked by accident or anything else is receiving too much power for that matter. And yes I know the RM 750 is a bit much for my build, but I plan on overclocking, liquid cooling, maybe some LEDs...

The thing that leads me to believe something is doing something it shouldn't is the fact that I have an overclocking build with parts that are meant to be OC'd. Not only that but I have a kinda wonky powersupply providing way too much overhead... So I'd expect some factory default I missed in the initial setup or some other kind of gently caress up like that. When I set it up I personally dialed down some factory default Overclocking parts (just the CPU I believe).

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 22, 2014

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

ch1mp posted:

Also posted this in NAS thread but realized this might be a better place for it:

Quick question: I'm making a cheap freenas box - just to play around and learn with - it will not hold any important data at this point (no ZFS). I am especially interested in the serviio and other video streaming functionality.

If it's just for playing around with, nothing's stopping you from plugging a couple hard drives on your computer and running it as a virtual machine. I did the same a while ago to serve a raspberry pi for kicks. Other than most of the hardware configuration stuff, you can play with that real easily.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NeoSeeker posted:

Can a power supply push too much power into a graphics card or another component? I'm experiencing a few weird things here and there that may indicate somthing is up with my graphics/psu. Also I connected my card's power cables to both the motherboard and PSU sockets, I'm not sure I should have done that.

i5 4670k processor
760 gtx graphics card
Corsair RM 750 PSU

Basically I want to make sure that nothing Is overclocked by accident or something is receiving too much power. And yes I know the RM 750 is a bit much for my build, but I plan on overclocking, liquid cooling, maybe some LEDs...

The thing that leads me to believe something is doing something it shouldn't is the fact that I have an overclocking build with parts that are meant to be OC'd. Not only that but I have a kinda wonky powersupply providing way too much overhead... So I'd expect some factory default I missed in the initial setup or some other kind of gently caress up like that. When I set it up I personally dialed down some factory default Overclocking parts (just the CPU I believe).

If the graphics card is OC'd, you can push it past thermal limits if you're changing voltages too much; but your PSU is only going to send what your card draws for power.

Your PSU should have PCI-E connections; I'm not sure where else you'd be plugging them in.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 22, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah there are two cables coming out of the card. One with a plug with like 8 connectors and one cable with a 6 connection plug. The former was plugged into my PSU and the latter was plugged into the motherboard in a slot around the top left. And of course the GPU itself is plugged into the PCI-e slot.

Three connections. Two with cables, one going to the mother board, the other to the PSU and the card itself plugged/slid/locked into the motherboard.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

i5 4670k processor
760 gtx graphics card
Corsair RM 750 PSU

Basically I want to make sure that nothing Is overclocked by accident or anything else is receiving too much power for that matter. And yes I know the RM 750 is a bit much for my build, but I plan on overclocking, liquid cooling, maybe some LEDs...

No, think of it like a car engine and you aren't pressing the gas. A bit much is an understatement (I've got two overclocked 770's and an overclocked to the limit 4670k on 750 watts) but that particular issue isn't an issue.

However

quote:

Also I connected my card's power cables to both the motherboard and PSU sockets

I'm guessing there is a typo here but from what I understand, at least in the past, plugging in a PCIe power cable into the CPU slot can destroy your computer. The ground pin can be different between those two. They are supposed to be keyed differently but I have no clue why they are the same basic shape, or why the pinout is different at all.

edit: ^^^ ermm little weirder than I thought. I didn't mean the physical cable, as in a cable marked "PCIe" from the power supply to the CPU slot used to be very bad.

But are you saying you plugged in a power cable from your graphics card to the CPU power slot on the motherboard?

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 22, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NeoSeeker posted:

Yeah there are two cables coming out of the card. One with a plug with like 8 connectors and one cable with a 6 connection plug. The former was plugged into my PSU and the latter was plugged into the motherboard in a slot around the top left. And of course the GPU itself is plugged into the PCI-e slot.

Three connections. Two with cables, one going to the mother board, the other to the PSU and the card itself plugged/slid/locked into the motherboard.

Use the connections that specifically say PCI-E; it SHOULDN'T matter but they could using different rails and cause issues.

You should have some cables that came with the PSU that are 3x2 with a 1x2 jumper

Use TWO of those for that one card, going directly to the PSU "PCI-E" connections. They have a PSU end (that's 8 pin) and a PCI-E end (that's 6+2 pin); one cable should use all 8 pins into the card, the other should have the lil jumper hangin' off, unused.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 22, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

So the graphics card shouldn't be plugged into the motherboard?...

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

NeoSeeker posted:

So wait, it's like this?

╔══════════╗╔══════════╗
[PSU]         [GPU]         [MOBO]

Noooo dude, the only connection between your GPU and mobo is the PCI-E slot. :stonk:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NeoSeeker posted:

So the graphics card shouldn't be plugged into the motherboard?...

Only by the actual PCI-E bus connector

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

redstormpopcorn posted:

So wait, it's like this?

╔══════════╗╔══════════╗
[PSU]         [GPU]         [MOBO]

Noooo dude, the only connection between your GPU and mobo is the PCI-E slot. :stonk:

I honestly thought it was a typo.

I don't know how it could damage much since it couldn't turn on that way but this is uncharted territory

edit: or did it... somehow. Wait, does the power from the two PSU connectors on the GPU combine? I'm guessing it would. So the motherboard and GPU were trying to pull power from one of the two PSU power connectors on the GPU (?)

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 22, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ignoarints posted:

I honestly thought it was a typo.

I don't know how it could damage much since it couldn't turn on that way but this is uncharted territory

edit: or did it... somehow

Honestly, I think the MOBO would just say "Oh poo poo, this accessory port is calling for too much power, better power the gently caress down."

Which to the uninitiated would just be "quirky," as it'd work until the card starts doing any heavy lifting.

Just plug both cables to the PSU.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I did an exploratory surgery and found that the said slots on the motherboard were plugged into the PSU. I was actually reminded, before I even took it apart, that when I was building it I came to the conclusion that the notion was retarded and that it was another thing on the mobo that plugged into the psu.

TL;DR: All is well :). The person who did the wiring even color coded the zipties... I figured this out after frantically poking around my computer.

I was in the throws of a desperate despair for a moment there...

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Kind of a weird question but I've noticed that the removable front panel on my crappy Antec 300 case makes a pretty audible sound from vibration. If I press it with a bit of force against the rest of the case the sound goes away. I'm looking for something I can wedge in there to fix it permanently. Maybe some sort of foam tape or something. I thought maybe someone else has run into this before and might have a suggestion.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yip Yips posted:

Kind of a weird question but I've noticed that the removable front panel on my crappy Antec 300 case makes a pretty audible sound from vibration. If I press it with a bit of force against the rest of the case the sound goes away. I'm looking for something I can wedge in there to fix it permanently. Maybe some sort of foam tape or something. I thought maybe someone else has run into this before and might have a suggestion.

This?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
So I did very lovely install job on the heaksink, not clean hands, but apparently arctic silver got on the CPU pins. Computer did not post, hence me finding the problems. Am I boned?

Is it just the MB and CPU that are messed up? Will intel warranty cover it?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

I agree or just weather stripping from walmart.

If there is anything I hate it's the front panel of the antec 300. Its retention sucks and even the tiniest bend will make it either 1) get really hard to take off or 2) vibrate

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Femur posted:

So I did very lovely install job on the heaksink, not clean hands, but apparently arctic silver got on the CPU pins. Computer did not post, hence me finding the problems. Am I boned?

Did you take the CPU out yet? If your CPU doesn't have pins it's really easy to clean. However if it got into the pins (mobo or CPU) it can be way harder. I've dunked my entire disassembled CPU in rubbing alcohol (91%) I wouldn't worry about being really generous with it

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Femur posted:

It should hopefully work after you clean it, the warranty would not cover any damage. This is why you shouldn't use electrically conductive thermal paste unless you know what you're doing and are willing to be careful enough that this doesn't happen. The performance difference between electrically conductive pastes and cheap white pastes isn't huge, there's also high-performance pastes that are not electrically conductive.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not trying to say you're an idiot for messing up the paste or anything, I personally use non-conductive paste because I don't even want to worry about the possibility of this happening if I'm not super cautious.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 22, 2014

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Yeah, something like that. Thanks.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Alereon posted:

It should hopefully work after you clean it, the warranty would not cover any damage. This is why you shouldn't use electrically conductive thermal paste unless you know what you're doing and are willing to be careful enough that this doesn't happen. The performance difference between electrically conductive pastes and cheap white pastes isn't huge, there's also high-performance pastes that are not electrically conductive.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not trying to say you're an idiot for messing up the paste or anything, I personally use non-conductive paste because I don't even want to worry about the possibility of this happening if I'm not super cautious.

Nah, it was extremely careless of me. The silver came with the heatsink. Good news that it's fixable maybe. I googled last night, but first few results specifically mentioned not turning it on already, so thought I was screwed.

I'll try the alcohol thing.

Femur fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 23, 2014

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any goons have recommendation for a wired mouse and wrist rest for someone with arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any goons have recommendation for a wired mouse and wrist rest for someone with arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome?

A trackball. Logitech M570.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm looking for an UPS, since I've been having an increasing amount of brown-outs and power cuts lately. Is Eaton and their Ellipse UPS worth anything? Specifically the Pro version, since it's line-interactive.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pivo posted:

A trackball. Logitech M570.

I thought CTS and arthritis could affect the ability to use the thumb? If that's the case, having the mouse controlled by the thumb isn't ideal.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I thought CTS and arthritis could affect the ability to use the thumb? If that's the case, having the mouse controlled by the thumb isn't ideal.

I'm not a doctor, I wouldn't know about that. I know that people who suffer from carpal tunnel find relief with trackballs. I know nothing about arthritis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If so, you always have the kensington expert, especially if they're fans of caterpillar/centipede.

• Locked thread