Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

How long does the push away typhoon order last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It prevents incoming typhoons so it doesn't have a lasting duration. If you were really unlucky and the restaurant NPCs warned you about another storm coming, you'd have to issue another order.

Storms weren't very common in my game. :shrug:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Trebuchet King posted:

How long does the push away typhoon order last?

On the other hand, there's a point late-game where you actually might want a typhoon every day...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I might have hosed myself over a bit breaking the storage box the chance I got in RF4 (I wanted to see what would happen :saddowns:). When can I expect to get another? I've beaten the third boss and I'm around the end of Spring, for the record.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Strange Quark posted:

I might have hosed myself over a bit breaking the storage box the chance I got in RF4 (I wanted to see what would happen :saddowns:). When can I expect to get another? I've beaten the third boss and I'm around the end of Spring, for the record.

You can buy another one from the general store, but you'll need lumber and stone also to get a new one

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

You can buy another one from the general store, but you'll need lumber and stone also to get a new one

You need to unlock that option through an order, don't you? Because I don't see it listed anywhere.

VVV Alright, thanks!

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 11, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Strange Quark posted:

You need to unlock that option through an order, don't you? Because I don't see it listed anywhere.

Yeah that's right. If you can't see it then you probably need to rank up, which you do by issuing orders and participating in festivals.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Well, I need to give some pineapple juice now and while I have the recipe I have nowhere near the RP needed to make it. I'm at 35 cooking, presently--I've got all the kitchen tools and, thanks to festivals, plenty of recipe bread. Before I just plunge in and cook stuff, though, are there any particularly worthwhile recipes to keep an eye out for grinding-wise?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Trebuchet King posted:

Well, I need to give some pineapple juice now and while I have the recipe I have nowhere near the RP needed to make it. I'm at 35 cooking, presently--I've got all the kitchen tools and, thanks to festivals, plenty of recipe bread. Before I just plunge in and cook stuff, though, are there any particularly worthwhile recipes to keep an eye out for grinding-wise?

The good grinding recipes are ones that are don't need too many ingredients, or ingredients that are easy to get. I use to make flan everyday, and even low level recipes like sweet potato are easy to make tons of almost every day, and give good experience with a heart pendant. You are hitting the point in terms of cooking where you will have to actively grow/search for ingredients if you want to make certain foods. I guess tomato juice is the best recipe for you right now though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I just realized I left out an emphasis I meant to make--monetarilyworthwhile. Oops. And yeah, I was getting ready to convert my fields from wood/stone factories to flowerbeds for chemistry grinding mostly, but splitting a bit off for cooking grinding.

And making my central field a vineyard, just 'cause.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

The good grinding recipes are ones that are don't need too many ingredients, or ingredients that are easy to get. I use to make flan everyday, and even low level recipes like sweet potato are easy to make tons of almost every day, and give good experience with a heart pendant. You are hitting the point in terms of cooking where you will have to actively grow/search for ingredients if you want to make certain foods. I guess tomato juice is the best recipe for you right now though.

Also remember that making multiple items at once is different than making each item individually. The game treats it as a more difficult task, instead of treating it as making one item several times. This can actually be really useful for leveling in certain situations.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

I just realized I left out an emphasis I meant to make--monetarilyworthwhile.

Like SC mentioned, sweet potato is a good option. Easy to grow, can cook multiple of them at a time.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Alrighty! Made it up to low fifties before changing focus to avoid burnout.

When I first read the item description for turnips (might have been seeds) I chuckled at the "for some reason." Little did I know the game was foreshadowing my hunt for turnip's miracle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyone have tips for the growing a large flower quest? I've gotten it to work with some strawberries, but when I tried a few different flowers, the farthest I've ever seen them go is when they're visibly larger upon blooming. The day after, they just vanish entirely instead of merging.

e: Probably should specify RF4, oops.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 20, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Uh do you have animals working the fields? They autoharvest crops, so they're basically harvesting your flowers before they have the chance to merge.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SC Bracer posted:

Uh do you have animals working the fields? They autoharvest crops, so they're basically harvesting your flowers before they have the chance to merge.

Huh, is that so? It's kinda weird how it never happened with my strawberries though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Few more questions, now that I've hit my groove/gotten all-stopped by the golem boss in Rune Prana:

- When leveling mining, am I better off mining the highest-end minerals I can find, or sticking to ones that actually yield their ore/gem type? Like, I can reliably get gold from its minerals, but dragonic stone nodes just give iron.

- My trees went down in level after planting. Is preventing that just a matter of hoeing corn/clovers/grass on the grid appropriately?

- Is there any downside to giving NPCs a weapon type aside from the kind they start with? Contemplating giving Meg a spear but I don't want to lose that nice total-cure + heal thing she does.

I'm enjoying this game still, which is nice. The last RF game I played was the first and once I got to a certain point I remember just losing interest completely. Realizing I could hold down A to pick up like items instead of mashing it a lot made things looooooads more amenable, too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm enjoying this game still, which is nice. The last RF game I played was the first and once I got to a certain point I remember just losing interest completely. Realizing I could hold down A to pick up like items instead of mashing it a lot made things looooooads more amenable, too.

Wait what.

Holy crap, this is magical. :aaa:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to admit how many Wools/Eggs/etc I lost to accidentally giving them to my animals when trying to pick up more before learning that.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Trebuchet King posted:

Few more questions, now that I've hit my groove/gotten all-stopped by the golem boss in Rune Prana:

- When leveling mining, am I better off mining the highest-end minerals I can find, or sticking to ones that actually yield their ore/gem type? Like, I can reliably get gold from its minerals, but dragonic stone nodes just give iron.

- My trees went down in level after planting. Is preventing that just a matter of hoeing corn/clovers/grass on the grid appropriately?

- Is there any downside to giving NPCs a weapon type aside from the kind they start with? Contemplating giving Meg a spear but I don't want to lose that nice total-cure + heal thing she does.

1) I don't think the actual ore nodes matter that much for leveling mining; it's more about the frequency? Something like that. I would suggest mining in places like Leon Karnak to get platinum/orichalum for crafting recipes, but you can warp to each seasonal farming area and break rocks for stone as well.

2) Greenifier+ and keeping the health up, yeah. You can always use the sickle on some of the trees and ship/replant the higher level seeds if you grew several at once.

3) Not too sure. The NPCs can use any type of weapon just fine, but I think some of the special abilities may be disabled if they don't have their preferred types.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Gotcha, okay. The tree thing is really weird because I got them up to Lv10 and that's what's selling in the store, but after a week or two-ish from when the trees started yielding fruit I noticed the oranges were suddenly Lv9. I don't know when it actually decreased, just that it did.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
IIRC, hurricanes also delevel your trees a bit. Unless I'm thinking of a different HM game and getting them mixed up.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, maybe that's it, then. I mistakenly thought a town event would prohibit typhoons so I hadn't saved for a couple days and welp!

I'm getting two or three of them a season, I wish I could get an invincible katori.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh, maybe that's it, then. I mistakenly thought a town event would prohibit typhoons so I hadn't saved for a couple days and welp!

I'm getting two or three of them a season, I wish I could get an invincible katori.

You can get an order eventually that lets you avoid typhoons.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Do I need to do something in special to start the second arc or just wait?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

gmq posted:

Do I need to do something in special to start the second arc or just wait?

Manually walk outside of the town gate. If you're like me and use the airship to travel everywhere, it's not something that you'd think to do. :downs:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

SC Bracer posted:

You can get an order eventually that lets you avoid typhoons.

Like, permanently? I've got the one that repels them, but it'd be nice to be able to spend those prince points on other stuff.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Trebuchet King posted:

Like, permanently? I've got the one that repels them, but it'd be nice to be able to spend those prince points on other stuff.

Nope that's the one I was talking about. Typhoons aren't really a huge deal most of the time. They're kinda handy for extra lumber/stone for upgrades, and if you really need a patch to survive, dump some wettable powder on top and make sure the plant's hp is high, since they vanish when their hp falls to 0.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

Nope that's the one I was talking about. Typhoons aren't really a huge deal most of the time. They're kinda handy for extra lumber/stone for upgrades, and if you really need a patch to survive, dump some wettable powder on top and make sure the plant's hp is high, since they vanish when their hp falls to 0.

There's also a super special secret enemy that spawns during typhoons. There's a point where I feel like it'd almost be beneficial to summon a typhoon every day just to get his drop.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, I fought him on the last one that blew through--what's so special about his rare drop? I know I'll need one to make this one staff, and another for the shipping list, at least.

Right now I mostly just want to get all my seeds to Lv10. I'm maybe 40% there? The emery flowers gon' be a li'l bitch. I did just get the best sickle, though, so that should help with these holdouts that refuse to go from 9 to 10.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Should I bother with resetting in order to trigger the third arc? Is there any reason I'd want it to happen sooner rather than later? I have a save just before going to bed on Spring 10 with Amber and Dylas in my party, and if both of them don't leave the following day, I reset. It's a pretty quick process, but still kind of boring.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Trebuchet King posted:

Yeah, I fought him on the last one that blew through--what's so special about his rare drop? I know I'll need one to make this one staff, and another for the shipping list, at least.

Right now I mostly just want to get all my seeds to Lv10. I'm maybe 40% there? The emery flowers gon' be a li'l bitch. I did just get the best sickle, though, so that should help with these holdouts that refuse to go from 9 to 10.

For the jump from 9-10 you also need really good soil. I think you can get level 10 crops with even the 3rd tier sickle (or 4th) if you make sure the soil quality is insane.

The typhoon rare drop gives -11 to elemental resistances while crafting, which sounds awful, but if you combine that with a 10-fold steel, and an Object X, which reverses the effects of an item, you can get more than 100% resistances.

Strange Quark posted:

Should I bother with resetting in order to trigger the third arc? Is there any reason I'd want it to happen sooner rather than later? I have a save just before going to bed on Spring 10 with Amber and Dylas in my party, and if both of them don't leave the following day, I reset. It's a pretty quick process, but still kind of boring.

You get to see a happy ending sooner, which is nice. There's nothing wrong with letting the game progress normally while you get your crafting levels up, but it took me about two years of ingame time when I did that because I am the luckiest.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Ah, so it's (semi)complicated craftimg stuff.

I've gotten a handful up to 10, I'll toss some greenifier on the holdouts. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what weapon types are some of y'all using? I ended up going with fists and thought suplexing dragons would be the most fun I could have, but then I discovered throwing dragons into other dragons.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Trebuchet King posted:

Ah, so it's (semi)complicated craftimg stuff.

I've gotten a handful up to 10, I'll toss some greenifier on the holdouts. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what weapon types are some of y'all using? I ended up going with fists and thought suplexing dragons would be the most fun I could have, but then I discovered throwing dragons into other dragons.

I really liked how Micah's wooly form played in RF3, so it made me incredibly happy that fists showed up as a new weapon category. It's too bad that there aren't as many different upgrades compared to other weapons, but the level 99 one has a great design.

Axes/hammers are a close second for me due to the crit and high damage. Too bad they can't beat going all Fist of the North Star on an enemy from 20 feet away.

Fist Weapons Best Weapons

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like using spears because you can use forged status effects to the best effect when combined with the high number of hits. I find their charged attacks the most useful of the physical weapons.

Does anyone use long swords? They seem like inferior axes since they're basically slow weapons that don't do as much damage. Ditto for dual blades/fists comparisons.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Figure it's a long shot, but anybody hear anything about this free episodic Harvest Moon-like indie game called World Dawn's? I got linked to it a few days ago but I doubt I'll try it out for awhile.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Only available for PC. :( It looks really cool.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Everyone have the same face and that's weird.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Strange Quark posted:

Does anyone use long swords? They seem like inferior axes since they're basically slow weapons that don't do as much damage. Ditto for dual blades/fists comparisons.

I use them, but just because I like swords. I don't pay much attention to the mechanics, since my stats are generally high enough that I can stand there and swing like a moron with minimal dodging or potion use.

I do need to up my skills in other weapons though, so I can work on learning the rest of the Blacksmithing recipes. Been trying to grind it up through mass production of Golden Hoes.

Also, bloody hell, it's taking forever for me to marry Dolce. Been dating her since I beat the mansion, gone to just about every date location, and I'm pretty sure I've done the requisite events, it just won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the_steve posted:

I use them, but just because I like swords. I don't pay much attention to the mechanics, since my stats are generally high enough that I can stand there and swing like a moron with minimal dodging or potion use.

I do need to up my skills in other weapons though, so I can work on learning the rest of the Blacksmithing recipes. Been trying to grind it up through mass production of Golden Hoes.

Also, bloody hell, it's taking forever for me to marry Dolce. Been dating her since I beat the mansion, gone to just about every date location, and I'm pretty sure I've done the requisite events, it just won't happen.

The number one best way to grind up blacksmithing is to just make a lovely broad sword and reinforce it up to level ten with scrap metal or whatever.

The same holds true for armor/accessories.

• Locked thread