Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Sorry to ask a boring technical question, but it's driving me crazy. I have a laptop with a 3200x1800 display and GOG version BG2. When I set the resolution of the game, either via the config or widescreen mod, the resolution in game changes, but is always only a small rectangle in the middle of the screen. So for example, if I set 1920x1080, I get a rectangle of game that takes up roughly have my screen, with thick black borders all around. If I set to 800x600, all the sprites and in game stuff are the same size, but the "window" of the game on my screen is much smaller (much larger black borders all around it). If I set to 3200x1800 via the widescreen mod, the game takes up my full screen with no black borders, but everything is way too small to be playable as nothing is getting stretched to fit. I'd like to play at 1920x1080 full screen, stretched so that the size is reasonable.

This seems like something that should have a very simple fix, but I can't find anything. I've tried toggling the "force scaling" option in preferences on the exe file, tried with and without scaling turned on in Windows (not that it should matter), setting compatibility mode to XP, setting width and height in the BG2 ini file. If I set my display resolution to 1920x1080, an option in my Intel graphics properties explicitly has "center image" or "stretch to fit," but switching between these did not change anything in the game, and the default and only option at native resolution is "maintain scaling."

Any ideas?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You should check your NVIDIA/ATI control panel, the scaling option is in there somewhere. You need your videocard to stretch low res images to fullscreen. See this screenshot:

You probably have the option 'no scaling' selected.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Samopsa posted:

You should check your NVIDIA/ATI control panel, the scaling option is in there somewhere. You need your videocard to stretch low res images to fullscreen. See this screenshot:

You probably have the option 'no scaling' selected.

No dice, unfortunately. I saw some people mentioning this for other games with a similar problem. At non-native resolution, the option to "stretch to fit" appears, but does not change anything in game. This is with a current gen integrated GPU, Intel HD 4400. I should say that it works great on my desktop with a 1920x1080 monitor and some Nvidia GPU, I just can't get this silly high resolution laptop to do the same. I wonder if anyone with a 2560x1440 monitor or retina Macbook Pro has similar issues.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I had a similar problem with Icewind Dale. Whatever resolution I chose, the display never stretched to fit the screen, instead giving me only a small window in the center. Sadly I never found a fix for this, but the game played normally if I disabled 3D acceleration in config.exe

Problem with this is that fog of war looks godawful on modern systems, but it's at least playable.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Baldur's Gate II problem:

I took over the De'Arnesse Keep 100 days ago without Nalia in my party and since then I've finished the Fighter Stronghold, but Nalia's personal quest never triggered. What changes must I make in Shadowkeeper so that I hear the news that they're finally burying Nalia's father's (probably smelly) remains?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I think this is the 8th or 9th time I've tried to finish all of BG I+II. I'm running a F/T/M for the first time, but I've always got burned out fighting mages in BG II around the end of chapter 2. This time I'd like to take some of other lesser used NPC's, What's a workable party using the lesser used NPCs, or what party would be good to handle annoying mages? I plan on using CHARNAME as a invisible backstabber a lot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
How to Handle Annoying Mages:

1. Get Carsomyr.
2. Get UAI on FMT.
3. Put Carsomyr on FMT, destroy mages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Comstar posted:

I think this is the 8th or 9th time I've tried to finish all of BG I+II. I'm running a F/T/M for the first time, but I've always got burned out fighting mages in BG II around the end of chapter 2. This time I'd like to take some of other lesser used NPC's, What's a workable party using the lesser used NPCs, or what party would be good to handle annoying mages? I plan on using CHARNAME as a invisible backstabber a lot.

Cernd has Insect Swarm (or as I refer to it "Oh God, not the bees") which shuts mages down. He's a shapeshifter, which is broken (as in doesn't work right and his severly underpowered) but there's a mod that "fixes" it, but that also makes it broken (as in massively overpowered). You might use a different mod that turns him into a totemic druid instead.

Anomen is a pretty good frontline fighter, especially when he starts getting high level spells, and turn undead high enough to just explode low level beasties. If you do all the side quests I'm pretty sure he'll be exploding vampires by the time they become a common enemy.

Valgyr can also backstab, so if you've got enough invisibility to go around that could be fun, if a little micro intensive.

If youre dealing with a ton of rear end in a top hat mages in chapter 2, make sure you aren't casting mage spells outside in Athkatla until you get permission to do so.

Also, you can only backstab with thief weapons, and as a fighter thief you can use non thief wrapons, so be sure to check a list of those.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They didn't fix the Cernd thing in EE? I never use him so I wouldn't know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeathChicken posted:

They didn't fix the Cernd thing in EE? I never use him so I wouldn't know.

Dont know either, I haven't played EE, it's not a huge deal, since the default druid shapes aren't of much use after the first couple of levels in bg2 anyways, so he really isn't any worse than a generic druid for the majority of the game, since that's the only difference.

If you're comfortable using a charcter editor or the level1npc mod, I'd say just turn him into an avenger, they get some cool mage spells and shape shifting that is actually useful for a larger portion of the game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
How to handle mages in the stock game: recruit Keldorn, cast his dispel magic, beat mage to death.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

At least until he gets pissy and tries to kill Viconia, or Hexxat, or probably Edwin (I can't remember).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
[quote="Skwirl" post="429774762"
Also, you can only backstab with thief weapons, and as a fighter thief you can use non thief wrapons, so be sure to check a list of those.
[/quote]

Err, does that mean I *can* backstab with fighter weapons, or cannot, as a FMT?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
As a fighter/anything you can equip almost every weapon, but you can only backstab with melee weapons that a plain thief could equip. Look at the weapon's item description and it should tell you if thieves are prohibited from using it or not.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Smol posted:

Bards (even Blades) are basically a worse version of a F/Ms (multi or dual), but fun to play nonetheless. You don't have to min-max to beat the game, so a Bard is as good choice as any. Their high-level abilities give them some nice tricks that make the late game pretty interesting (improved bard song, UAI, spike traps etc.).

The key difference between Blades and F/Ms (multi or dual) is that they come into their power a hell of a lot faster, which can be nice when you don't care about 100% German Efficiency and just wanna have fun.

There's something to be said for ease of use.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Comstar posted:

Err, does that mean I *can* backstab with fighter weapons, or cannot, as a FMT?

You can only backstab with weapons that single class thieves can use by default. You can't backstab, eg, with the Staff of the Magi even on a single class thief with UAI because only mages can use it.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
The overkill method of handling mages in BG2 was of course, Keldorn, Casomyr and some Breaches prepared by your mages. If they're not vulnerable and dying shortly after that, apply more Breach (or the anti-spell protection version so then you can apply more Breach).

I don't think that works so well for TOB mages though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Base game Shadows of Amn, the hardest part about mages is Improved Invisibility so some source of see invisible is the key. Best NPC for this is Keldorn since he casts his True Seeing innate at twice his level. Second best is Haer Dalis once he gets high enough to cast True Sight since bard spell caster levels make their removal spells super awesome, if a little late coming. Once Improved Invisiblity is gone, any npc spellcaster can cast breach to remove any spells that will prevent you from doing damage to the enemy mage.

TOB gets slightly more ridiculous with spell protections that you need to take care of in addition to Improved Invisibility to make vulnerable to breach. The overkill method is to make an npc mages first level 9 spell Spellstrike. The alternative is tactical applications of True Sight and Khelben's Warding Whip/Ruby Ray of Reversal to make them vulnerable to breach.

Selane
May 19, 2006

zedprime posted:

Base game Shadows of Amn, the hardest part about mages is Improved Invisibility so some source of see invisible is the key. Best NPC for this is Keldorn since he casts his True Seeing innate at twice his level. Second best is Haer Dalis once he gets high enough to cast True Sight since bard spell caster levels make their removal spells super awesome, if a little late coming. Once Improved Invisiblity is gone, any npc spellcaster can cast breach to remove any spells that will prevent you from doing damage to the enemy mage.

TOB gets slightly more ridiculous with spell protections that you need to take care of in addition to Improved Invisibility to make vulnerable to breach. The overkill method is to make an npc mages first level 9 spell Spellstrike. The alternative is tactical applications of True Sight and Khelben's Warding Whip/Ruby Ray of Reversal to make them vulnerable to breach.

Caster level doesn't affect True Sight's ability to dispel illusions.

Also, everyone is vulnerable to Breach unless they are using Spell Immunity/Spell Shield(hint: they aren't), or are immune to spell level 5, which is mostly just Liches and Rakshasa. I guess Improved Invis could stop you from targeting with it but you already covered that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zedprime posted:

You're thinking of dispel magic, but your reasoning is the same, Keldorn xasts it at double level, and bards sill cast it at a higher level than mages with the same xp.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Will I miss out on much if I play Baldur's Gate 2 without touching Baldur's Gate 1?

I could never get myself to finish BG1, always stopped halfway for one reason or another, and now I can't bring myself to go through the first half of that game again.

On the converse, I've never played BG2. Will I be missing out on much if I never finished the first one?

I have OCD about finishing prequels and such but I just. Can't. Play. BG1 again.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Will I miss out on much if I play Baldur's Gate 2 without touching Baldur's Gate 1?

I could never get myself to finish BG1, always stopped halfway for one reason or another, and now I can't bring myself to go through the first half of that game again.

On the converse, I've never played BG2. Will I be missing out on much if I never finished the first one?

I have OCD about finishing prequels and such but I just. Can't. Play. BG1 again.

Not much, really. BG1 was great for its time but hasn't aged nearly as well as BG2 has. BG2's prologue dungeon and your character's default biography pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Random question: What do you guys do with the random crap that starts accumulating in your inventory? Most notably, spell scrolls. I always put them in the "Don't use unless it's an emergency" category in my head, which basically means, never use, since there's plenty of memorized spells I can use instead.

I'm getting a crap ton and I'm barely out of the first dungeon in BG2.

Edit: Also, to an extent, potions.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You can get some scroll cases and gem bags. I've been selling a lot of redundant scrolls, though. You can also stash them in a convenient container, probably by the Copper Coronet or Waukeen's Promenade. I've done this with story/quest items after they're no longer useful and gear that might come in handy later.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Random question: What do you guys do with the random crap that starts accumulating in your inventory? Most notably, spell scrolls. I always put them in the "Don't use unless it's an emergency" category in my head, which basically means, never use, since there's plenty of memorized spells I can use instead.

I'm getting a crap ton and I'm barely out of the first dungeon in BG2.

Edit: Also, to an extent, potions.

Gem Bags and Scroll Cases can be bought in Waukeen's Promenade and the Copper Coronet. If you want to reroll your character be sure to install the Dungeon-Be-Gone mod to skip the first chapter.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That place is short and easy enough that I've never really seen the problem. It isn't, I don't know...the first dungeon in Fallout 2 (ugh).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I took over the De'Arnesse Keep 100 days ago without Nalia in my party and since then I've finished the Fighter Stronghold, but Nalia's personal quest never triggered. What changes must I make in Shadowkeeper so that I hear the news that they're finally burying Nalia's father's (probably smelly) remains?
Use the CLUAConsole to spawn the messenger. The quest will then proceed normally. The command is: CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("naliames")

Comstar posted:

Currently soloing an FMT through BG2 (after finishing BG1). I found Carsomyr to be extremely effective for taking care of spellcasters. I put 100 points in the Detect Illusion thief skill, which is great for taking out many Mage protections (good for both BG1 where mages love Mirror Image and BG2 where Improved Invisibility, Mislead, etc are added to the mix). My character has 2 pips in 2-handed weapons and 2 in quarterstaves, so I like to use these to backstab mages before they can get their protections up if the opportunity presents itself. Traps can also be highly effective. I used those to take out all the Cowled Wizard enforcer groups sent after you for casting spells outside, and the litches that spawn from tombs.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Random question: What do you guys do with the random crap that starts accumulating in your inventory?
Cheat in the Bag of Holding that you can buy in Saradush (code BAG31). It can fit thousands of items, so you can just stash everything you find other than projectiles with almost complete impunity. This pretty much abolishes the need for inventory management.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am a hoarder and just SK in enough bags and cases to hold everything.

I have never actually beat SOA and my current play-through got abandoned for a while and now I dont remember what I was doing. My most current save is in Watchers Keep but I cant remember what is going on. I think I just cleared the floor with the fan?

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
So BG2 has a fuckton of different characters that can join up with you and have their own sidequests, right?

Is it beneficial to have them all join at one point or another and doing their sidequests? Is it feasible? Or should I just find a good core group and stick with them while doing the story quests?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Does BG2 do the BG1 thing where people benched don't get any experience? That would probably make a rotating cast unfeasible. Unless you held off on recruiting the people you want entirely until the point you want them, then I'm pretty sure they'd automatically level up to meet you (although their proficiencies will probably suck).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
There is a console command that forces party banter dialogues and personal quest trigger dialogues so you could always do that if you want to see a NPC's story through but don't necessarily want to use them permanently. Note, this command randomly cycles through all available party members so you might end up resolving everybody's poo poo early on.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So BG2 has a fuckton of different characters that can join up with you and have their own sidequests, right?

Is it beneficial to have them all join at one point or another and doing their sidequests? Is it feasible? Or should I just find a good core group and stick with them while doing the story quests?

The sidequests are not that huge except for a few characters. Most of them are pretty cool and short, focusing mainly on fleshing out the NPC. Lots of mainline quests tie in to NPC stories though, like Cernd in Trademeet, Mazzy in the Shaded Ruins, etc. They are not necessary to finish the quests although they introduce alternate solutions most of the time.
Anyway, just get the NPC's you like and don't worry about the quests! I'd say only Jaheira and Edwin's quests have a substantial impact on the game. They also tie into two rather large quests (Harper's stronghold and Shadow Thieves respectively), so it's nice to pick them up for those quests at least.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Finished BG1:EE after 50 hours of gameplay. I very much liked both Dorn and the Wild Mage characters. but now I'm trying to decide who to take in BG 2:EE.

Right now I'm thinking:

CHARBAME Fighter/Mage/Thief
Dorn
Mazzy or Haer'Dalis (later on, Sarevok?)
Viconia
Jaheira or Aerie (later on, Imoen?)
Neera

Will any of these characters try and kill each other or leave?

I know having Anomen would be better vs mages, but I think Haer'Dalis can do dispel magic's too? Does he get enough levels to be good enough at it? And although it won't help in combat much, who has the most amusing inter-party dialogue? Do Sarevok and Imoen talk much outside when you meet/rescue them? Do Dorn and Neera interact much with the other characters?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I've been playing through BG1 (for like the 20th time) as a Dark Moon Monk. Monks have always been a terrible way to play BG1, but this time through wasn't that bad.

A few things helped. First, realizing that playing a low-level monk means not getting in melee ever. Throw daggers and darts, whatever you have available. You get a few per round and daggers get both your dex and str bonuses. That will get you by until you get a few bonus melee attacks and some HP around level 5 or so, at which time going into melee will be survivable. After that, keep some of the nastier dart varieties on hand to stun or poison.

Secondly, Dark monks get Detect Illusion, and I finally figured out how to make that effective. And now its like 'holy crap, why did I never do this before'. Just attack, then click on find traps. If you do it the other way around it overrides the detection. But attacking first sends you into melee at about the time your detection will dispel mirror images. Too easy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Does BG2 do the BG1 thing where people benched don't get any experience?

Yeah, it was KOTOR that brought in the "You have a team of guys to pick from, they all get XP".

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Why are Planescape sprites so much better looking then the rest of the infinity games?

Also, is it possible to mod the distance requirement out when transferring items between party members in BG2?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bouchacha posted:

Why are Planescape sprites so much better looking then the rest of the infinity games?

Also, is it possible to mod the distance requirement out when transferring items between party members in BG2?

There are fewer, but more unique, NPCs in Planescape and they not customisable paper-dolls like in BG. They're also 96 pixels tall compared to BG's 48.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Comstar posted:

Finished BG1:EE after 50 hours of gameplay. I very much liked both Dorn and the Wild Mage characters. but now I'm trying to decide who to take in BG 2:EE.

Right now I'm thinking:

CHARBAME Fighter/Mage/Thief
Dorn
Mazzy or Haer'Dalis (later on, Sarevok?)
Viconia
Jaheira or Aerie (later on, Imoen?)
Neera

Will any of these characters try and kill each other or leave?

I know having Anomen would be better vs mages, but I think Haer'Dalis can do dispel magic's too? Does he get enough levels to be good enough at it? And although it won't help in combat much, who has the most amusing inter-party dialogue? Do Sarevok and Imoen talk much outside when you meet/rescue them? Do Dorn and Neera interact much with the other characters?

Anomen doesn't go well with Viconia, and might even try to fight her so that's another reason to take Haer'Dalis instead. As for dialogue I've always liked both Viconia and Jaheira. Aerie is really boring though in my opinion, and Imoen simply doesn't have any intra-party dialogue in SoA.

Neera, Dorn and Rasaad do interact with the other party members in BG2, but I found some of the new banters to be really cheesy. Though that might just because I'm so familiar with BG2 that the new characters have really stuck out for me. Since you already have the EE version though you really should bring them with you because their quests are the only way to access the new areas.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Ok so I'm in chapter 2 of BG2EE, I am quite enjoying myself considering this is the most DnD poo poo I've ever played. I wanted to improve my AI scripts because the mages I have in my party are rock-stupid. I found and downloaded the eSeries mod and the Detectable Spells mod it requires. However, I can't install either one becasue neither thinks it is inside my install directory. They both bitch about not finding DIALOG.TLK. Google searching tells me to look for a folder in data, but I have no such folder. WTF am I doing wrong.

OK I copied dialog.tlk from lang to my main folder. Upon installing DetectStat I ran into another error about STAF15.ITM but I fixed that by opening the .tp2 file in notepad and removing the last paragraph/update about STAF15 and some other wand. After doing that, DetectStat installed.

Now when I try to run eSeries, I just get an unspecified error.

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Not sure this is the case but not all mods work with the EE versions.