Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Rad R. posted:

Just watched Raw. Did anyone notice Action Bronson was there, right behind Cole? I'm trying to find photos of it, nothing, but pretty sure it was him.

It was him for sure. You can find pics if you search twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

achillesforever6 posted:

Was it more that they banned them due to oversaturation and worrying about lawsuits from parent's whose dumb kid got paralyzed from taking a piledriver from a friend?

I don't think it was because of lawsuits but more because there was a rash of neck injuries in the late '90s/early 2000s (Austin, Edge, Benoit, Angle even Holly and Scotty 2 Hotty) and WWE had to mitigate them by banning the most obvious bad for your neck move. Losing a star for at least 9 months is not good for business if you have the ability to prevent that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I really don't think oversaturation of piledrivers was even close to a worry. if they were worried about move saturation nobody would do DDTs. the piledriver is banned entirely for safety reasons.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The move is legitimately banned in a number of state athletic commissions.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

John Cena posted:

The move is legitimately banned in a number of state athletic commissions.

Huh, which ones? What happened when WWF/E ran shows there when Taker was a regular?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Isn't it banned in Louisana? I could've sworn that came up when ROH or TNA ran a show there recently.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Thauros posted:

Huh, which ones? What happened when WWF/E ran shows there when Taker was a regular?

Taker would intimidate them into backing off.

I don't think WWE is regulated by state athletic commissions.

E - Wow, I googled and apparently pro wrestling has a lot of run ins with those guys.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 22, 2014

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm pretty sure there's at least one that forbids blading/bleeding, but I couldn't tell you which offhand.

e: yeah

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rad R. posted:

Just watched Raw. Did anyone notice Action Bronson was there, right behind Cole? I'm trying to find photos of it, nothing, but pretty sure it was him.

Is this him?

edit: loving hell Jerry I think your t-shirt just gave me eye herpes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

E - Wow, I googled and apparently pro wrestling has a lot of run ins with those guys.

They are, and it's a large part of the reason they run Oregon and Kentucky so rarely.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Memento posted:

meh, that shirt is downright tame compared to some other things he's worn

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Is this him?

Jerry's tee-shirts have been awful for a long time now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

John Cena posted:

They are, and it's a large part of the reason they run Oregon and Kentucky so rarely.

Portland used to be a big territory, did the commission crack down on wrestling in the '80s or '90s for some reason?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

It's one of the main reasons WWE admitted everything is fake: it lets them avoid most state athletic commissions. Up until the 90s they had to deal with them just about everywhere.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

John Cena posted:

I think Ian Rotten was the one responsible for Kentucky cracking down on pro wrestling via state athletic commissions because of his bullshit hardcore style he was running.

As for Oregon, I'm recalling what I heard years ago, but it has to do something with drug testing and the Wellness Program isn't good enough for the commission to allow events. Though I could be wrong. It's worth nothing though that there was a RAW in Portland in 2011 so something has to be flexible.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Isn't there a story of Kerry Von Erich got getting in trouble somewhere because the state athletic commission had a rule against amputees wrestling?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Isn't there a story of Kerry Von Erich got getting in trouble somewhere because the state athletic commission had a rule against amputees wrestling?

The WWF tipped off the IL commission before Superclash III about the foot but they just tabled the issue until after the PPV.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

On the subject of Athletic Commissions' effect on wrestling, Quackenbush said that PA athletic commission regs were to blame when I asked him a couple years ago why they never ran Pittsburgh.

quote:

Hi (Thauros),

Thanks for writing. I'm glad you had a good time at our event.
I am very familiar with the Pittsburgh scene. In fact, while attending PITT, I first got a break in the wrestling business. I wrestled that region for quite some time.
But the state of PA has a very strict Athletic Commission, and they have certain requirements that make staging any event in PA very difficult. It is hard enough to do them in our hometowns - many of us live in or around Philly, Reading and Easton (our 3 most typical stops in PA.) That's because we have contacts in those areas. Physicians, people on the ground, business contacts, etc. We have none of those advantages in Pittsburgh. None of our people reside there.
Someday, PA may de-regulate pro-wrestling, since governing it like boxing is an absurd and out-dated ideal. But until then, we're sticking to our side of PA. Pittsburgh will wait for the Athletic Commission to fall.

Best, MIKE

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

Memento posted:

Is this him?

Yeah, he's the big dude with the beard.

He has a song called The Rockers that shouts out Marty Janetty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS-WPTmaXvs

He's a really good rapper in general, too

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Justin Godscock posted:

I don't think it was because of lawsuits but more because there was a rash of neck injuries in the late '90s/early 2000s (Austin, Edge, Benoit, Angle even Holly and Scotty 2 Hotty) and WWE had to mitigate them by banning the most obvious bad for your neck move. Losing a star for at least 9 months is not good for business if you have the ability to prevent that.

IIRC the neck injuries were related to rolling german suplexes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Austin's was a piledriver from Owen Hart, hosed his neck up bad, almost career ending bad. They've got the footage of it on the Stone Cold documentary.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The Louisiana commission has a lot of crazy rules, which include "Participants must be clean shaven" so you can see how seriously WWE took all of that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Action Bronson shouts out a wrestler in probably every other track also it's weird how much he sounds like Ghostface sometimes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Austin's was a piledriver from Owen Hart, hosed his neck up bad, almost career ending bad. They've got the footage of it on the Stone Cold documentary.

But not a traditional piledriver. I can't think of a single major injury from a traditional piledriver.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I remember KY and PA having a rigid age requirement to be licensed and wrestle. It's why Chuck Taylor/Ricochet started mostly in Indiana and the whole Mark Briscoe angle in ROH when it started.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

epitasis posted:

Action Bronson shouts out a wrestler in probably every other track also it's weird how much he sounds like Ghostface sometimes

Yeah, his voice has gotten more distinct over the years but some tracks he's near identical to Ghost.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

But not a traditional piledriver. I can't think of a single major injury from a traditional piledriver.

BJ Whitmer suffered an injured neck from a botched Mike Bennett piledriver on the ring apron during a ROH card in Toronto last year.

Was Chono's broken neck caused by a normal piledriver in his match vs. Austin?

But yeah, considering how many guys have used piledrivers for decades the injury rate really isn't that terrible.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

IIRC the neck injuries were related to rolling german suplexes.

Yeah, piledrivers were pretty much never used by anyone at that time, but those guys were constantly suplexing the poo poo out of each other.

quote:

Was Chono's broken neck caused by a normal piledriver in his match vs. Austin?

Nope, it was the exact same piledriver Owen injured Austin with.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The piledriver was banned after HHH got a stinger from a Tombstone at Judgment Day 2000, which coincidentally was in Kentucky.

So yes, you are reading that correctly. The piledriver was banned because Undertaker somehow managed to botch one of the safest moves in wrestling.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nut Bunnies posted:

The piledriver was banned after HHH got a stinger from a Tombstone at Judgment Day 2000, which coincidentally was in Kentucky.

So yes, you are reading that correctly. The piledriver was banned because Undertaker somehow managed to botch one of the safest moves in wrestling.

I think you mean because Triple H is a big mean baby who couldn't handle the smallest tap of pain from Undertaker, the smelly jerk :colbert:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Nut Bunnies posted:

I get those sometimes just doing everyday stuff. It doesn't necessarily mean Taker botched it.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Action Bronson is a fat piece of poo poo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

same

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Regrettable posted:

I get those sometimes just doing everyday stuff. It doesn't necessarily mean Taker botched it.

Perhaps Undertaker botched something else and it gave you stingers? "Oops, I dropped my cup of water!" *Someone's arm goes numb, somewhere*

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shima Honnou posted:

Perhaps Undertaker botched something else and it gave you stingers? "Oops, I dropped my cup of water!" *Someone's arm goes numb, somewhere*

These are the risks we all take for living in a world with a wrestling zombie biker wizard with magical lightning and flame powers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Regrettable posted:

Now I am not a doctor but I feel like there might be something wrong with you if you get stingers sometimes just from normal everyday activities.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I get stingers all the time. I got a stinger this morning and I'm here, jumping around.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I also like yj stinger energy drinks.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Regrettable posted:

Are you confusing stingers with hitting your funny bone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Speaking of dangerous moves, is Generico's Brainbuster as stupidly dangerous as it looks? Because every time I see it it looks like the guy taking it should be loving crippled.