Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Allstone posted:

Verdict doesn't hit a flipped Erayo. There are so few ways of getting Erayo/Laboratory off the board and it otherwise nigh-on completely shuts down the game.

Play better cards/don't let that happen? hth v:shobon:v

I mean, isn't the whole point of EDH to have to use the entire history of Magic to make a deck full of cool interactions that's able to handle a variety of threats in a multiplayer setting? If you just fold to a difficult-to-assemble two-card combo in a singleton format, then maybe your deck wasn't very good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm increasingly suspecting 'unintuitive' is a synonym for 'cool' here.

Probably because a lot of players find things cool when they work contrary to expectation or when they do something novel. The two show up together a lot.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Everblight posted:

I mean, isn't the whole point of EDH to have to use the entire history of Magic to make a deck full of cool interactions that's able to handle a variety of threats in a multiplayer setting? If you just fold to a difficult-to-assemble two-card combo in a singleton format, then maybe your deck wasn't very good?

"The point of EDH" has lead to countless hours of nerd arguing. I feel like maybe that is the true point of EDH.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Does anyone know if the sources for some of the more oddball reprint choices for Conspiracy listed on mythicspoiler are legit? I'm looking through it and the smattering of common/uncommon reprints seems just random and all over the place. Things like Plated Seastrider and Courier Hawk just made me kinda go "huh?"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

alphabrawl posted:

I run an eight-man paper Pauper league and I'm going to drop a Conspiracy draft event on them next month. What are some 'good' sets to have boosters on hand for, in the event of people pulling Lore Seeker? I'm hoping for some wacky mechanics to come into play, so I'm figuring New Phyrexia, M13, Torment, Innistrad, Rise of the Eldrazi, and maybe Time Spiral if I can find a pack online?

Unglued.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Everblight posted:

Would you say that by this logic, no cards should be banned in EDH except ante/dexterity cards? Most of the other cards on that list are there because they feed into an (at least) 2 card combo that shuts down the game. What are some examples of banned cards that you feel are justified, and why?

Additionally, Erayo is only banned as a commander, so you can still "assemble the combo," you just can't cast half of it from your command zone.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Everblight posted:

I mean, isn't the whole point of EDH to have to use the entire history of Magic to make a deck full of cool interactions that's able to handle a variety of threats in a multiplayer setting?

I thought it was to re-enact the era when Goblin Recruiter let you pull off shenanigans in Extended, only now you have Kiki-Jiki and Krenko to generate tons of dudes and Skirk Fire Marshall to end games fast/force draws?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Everblight posted:

Maybe it is YOU that is salty and bad.

Also, yeah, only banned as a Commander, for the same reason as Rofellos: Don't underestimate the power of the Command Zone. Tuck Or Die is not how EDH is supposed to be, according to the banlist.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Toshimo posted:

It's a typical play to rip an opposing Aetherling from an opposing deck with Jace/Ashiok.

If you're taking your opponent's AEtherling with your Jace ultimate you're doing something wrong, as you've basically just gained an 4/5 with evasion that dies to any removal. Also not worth -6 ing your Ashiok for.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Everblight posted:

I, too, wish to make a Braids, Cabal Minion EDH dedicated to making the lives of the people I play with miserable.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I, too, wish to make a Braids, Cabal Minion EDH dedicated to making the lives of the people I play with miserable.

Speaking as someone who doesn't play EDH, you should go with a Hokori, Dust Drinker deck instead.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

gently caress yeah! Now we're talkin'. Throw some Tangle Wires and Smokestacks in there and let's get crackin'. It's not any fun unless no one's having fun.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I was thinking Kitsune Mystic/Autumn-Tail, Kitsune Sage deck, with lots of cheap enchantments/pacifism style effects

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

Why is Erayo still banned if Abrupt Decay/Supreme Verdict exists? Just salty bad EDH durdlers can't get Sheldonpoints if she's in play?

Because the number of answers available is really narrow?

She's even more oppressive in a 1v1 scenario.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If braids is still banned, you can use Maralen as a way to reliably tutor up Braids to achieve the same thing. Plus Maralen comes with her own lock!

Everblight posted:

A two-card combo when one of the cards is your general isn't actually a two-card combo. Sharuum is similarly potent but a lot easier to disrupt and a lot less powerful on its own (plus, like, 6-drop vs 3-drop). What's more is a flipped erayo on its own is really hard to deal with even without the hard lock.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 22, 2014

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Erayo and Braids are banned as commanders for basically the same reason - Stax/tax/lockdown effects are no fun for anyone except the player using them, and doubly so if they can keep being recast. Hell, I draw enough hate with my Nath of the Gilt-Leaf discard deck (I know I keep blabbering on about it but it's a good example here), and all that does is make you toss your hand before I swing at you. I can't touch your topdecking or your lands, my creature removal is Grave Pact/Dictate of Erebos and a couple of sweepers and spot removal, and a small package of green artifact/enchantment hate. Erayo makes even topdecking totally useless, while Braids with things like Smokestack can force the destruction of lands, also something unfun.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

What's more is a flipped erayo on its own is really hard to deal with even without the hard lock.

You know because it's backed by blue counterspell suites. So you have to have two spells a turn and hope the second one isn't just remanded.

Or something else horrible doesn't happen.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

LordSaturn posted:

Maybe it is YOU that is salty and bad.

Also, yeah, only banned as a Commander, for the same reason as Rofellos: Don't underestimate the power of the Command Zone. Tuck Or Die is not how EDH is supposed to be, according to the banlist.

I've never played EDH; can someone who does explain why Kokusho is on the banlist? I can see how the ability is pretty powerful in a multiplayer format but it doesn't seem as egregious as the other cards on the list.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

goferchan posted:

I've never played EDH; can someone who does explain why Kokusho is on the banlist? I can see how the ability is pretty powerful in a multiplayer format but it doesn't seem as egregious as the other cards on the list.

Each opponent + Black being the biggest color for sacrifice effects and reanimation, I guess.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

There was a combo (probably with Scion) where you could get a bunch of copies of it out really early, I'm pretty sure.
E: No, apparently it was just too much reusable value (according to http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=3087 and other google results).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

goferchan posted:

Each opponent being affected, plus the fact that Command Zone means he never really goes away and thus can be more easily exploited.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Tonight's conspiracy spoilers are sweet. Can't post pics from my phone at the moment, but I love the goblin. Great with scry, terminus, you name it.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

goferchan posted:

You're correct, Kokusho is much less powerful than the other three banned generals. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it were to be unbanned. Kokusho was a much bigger deal earlier in the format's lifespan, and was banned in maindeck as well as command zone. Here's the announcement when he was shifted to Commander-only banned:

quote:

It's appropriate that Kokusho comes off at the same time as Prime Time goes on, as Kokusho was originally banned along the same lines. His presence had a similar warping effect on the format in the early days, with too many decks reusing the Dragon over and over (even if it didn't start in their deck!). However, in the intervening time, graveyard hate has become stronger and the overall level of creature power has risen to the point where we're comfortable - moreso after some testing - that it won't have the same impact. He remains banned as a Commander because the mechanics of being a Commander allow him to circumvent the best method of dealing with him - the aforementioned graveyard hate. Getting him into exile as a creature is the end of it. As a Commander, it's license to start again.

Zoness posted:

If braids is still banned, you can use Maralen as a way to reliably tutor up Braids to achieve the same thing. Plus Maralen comes with her own lock!

Maralen lets everyone else at the table tutor up an answer to whatever you're tutoring. Braids is so bad as a general in particular because a Braids deck can build to put out turn 2-3 Braids and make anyone who doesn't have an early drop start saccing lands. A one-trick pony Braids mana denial deck, that's just about ramping into Braids as quickly as possible and putting out stuff to sac to her, is insanely powerful and annoying.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Didn't see anyone post this:

e: or this for that matter

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
e: :argh:

He breaks prisoner's chains and then if he's stronger than them he pulls them out of the dungeon :allears:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Zorak posted:

e: or this for that matter

Dang, thats going into my Arcum deck for sure.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hah, this guy owns but I can't wait for that freak occurrence when someone pulls out another copy and destroys them both.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Zorak posted:

Quite lovely for Sharuum EDH too. Like it needs any help...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

In legacy Goblins, this basically reads "(2): Flip a coin. If heads, put a random Goblin creature card from your deck onto the battlefield", correct?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Muzzio is great; he's basically a less-obnoxious Daggson. The R/B reanimator goblin is interesting; he gets better as the games go on.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

In legacy Goblins, this basically reads "(2): Flip a coin. If heads, put a random Goblin creature card from your deck onto the battlefield", correct?

With Ringleader and Matron, I don't think the problems Legacy Goblins has includes "not enough goblins"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Run it in your EDH deck to protect against Spell Crumple?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

With Ringleader and Matron, I don't think the problems Legacy Goblins has includes "not enough goblins"

No, but Goblins has wanted a good, solid 2 drop creature for ages since Piledriver and War Marshal have really fallen out of favour as of late.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

change my name posted:

Hah, this guy owns but I can't wait for that freak occurrence when someone pulls out another copy and destroys them both.

That isn't quite what happens.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It'd be cool to have a mix of power <= 2 dudes you want in play alongside bigger dudes that can provide value from the graveyard.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Muzzio looks pretty good in a format with 7 and 9 cost artifact creatures to get out.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Grenzo is definitely one of the reasons that Reito Lantern is in the set.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

change my name posted:

They changed the legendary rule a bit, about a year ago. Now it doesn't matter if your opponent has the same copy of a legend, and if you have two copies of a legend (or two of the same "type" of Planeswalker), you pick one to sack and keep the other.

If you pulled another one of these dudes, you could just sack that copy and keep the original.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

The EDH banlist is the biggest, unfunniest joke in Magic (well, maybe second to Two Explores). Kokusho as a commander isn't very good and he's more abusable in the deck anyway. The fact that the Sheldon Squad never figured this out is pretty much all you need to know about EDH banlists. (Mana Crypt/Sol Ring legal is doubly funny, considering).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

This guy needs to be in my EDH goblins deck today. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toshimo posted:

The EDH banlist is the biggest, unfunniest joke in Magic (well, maybe second to Two Explores). Kokusho as a commander isn't very good and he's more abusable in the deck anyway. The fact that the Sheldon Squad never figured this out is pretty much all you need to know about EDH banlists. (Mana Crypt/Sol Ring legal is doubly funny, considering).

Ramp that isn't tied to a specific color is an expection and part of the format, whereas an exploitable commander (albeit not as degenerative as some others) has earned a ban; your opinion of him not being so bad and hilariously generalized "Sheldon Squad" criticism notwithstanding.

• Locked thread