Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the one in Doors of Pharros where if you don't kill it in one shot it jumps off the bridge it's on into a bottomless pit.

I love how all the other bits of Dark and Abyss and Truest Dark and Primordial Humans and I guess whatever Darklurker's supposed to be aren't poo poo compared to just making GBS threads out great resonant souls everywhere.

I don't think you're casting great resonant soul right please see a doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you aren't Climaxing every boss everywhere you go you're doing something wrong.

Both in real life and in the game.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

vandalism posted:

I am garbage at any form of pvp in this game. I just get wrecked no matter what. Dude pulls out full auto crossbows and kills me instantly when it becomes anywhere near close. Guy smashes me in three hits as I try to parry. So much fun.

the best way to PvP is to guard break because 75% of players will get really close to you without ever dropping their shields

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So who draws those comics of dark souls 2 where Ornstein flips off the dragonrider and the player regrets dying as a phantom because he's disappointing his host ("Ah! He is crying!)? I remember the collection being hosted on some foreign deviantart like pixiv, but I have no idea who the author's name is to do a search. Or even where to find one of the comics and read their signature, its been a while since one popped up here.

Edit: VVVV Thanks!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 22, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So who draws those comics of dark souls 2 where Ornstein flips off the dragonrider and the player regrets dying as a phantom because he's disappointing his host ("Ah! He is crying!)? I remember the collection being hosted on some foreign deviantart like pixiv, but I have no idea who the author's name is to do a search. Or even where to find one of the comics and read their signature, its been a while since one popped up here.
Here you go: http://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/80168540721/dork-souls-2

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow the shaded ruins lionmen are stingy bastards. Half an hour of grinding them and I haven't gotten a single piece of their gear. All they ever drop is tryclops snake troches, which is worse than nothing. It makes me think I finally got their clothes but nope its just some lovely pills. I guess this is payback for getting two manikkin claws in just two runs of earthen peak.

EDIT: 3 drops, 3 troches. loving rear end in a top hat cats :mad:

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

vandalism posted:

I am garbage at any form of pvp in this game. I just get wrecked no matter what. Dude pulls out full auto crossbows and kills me instantly when it becomes anywhere near close. Guy smashes me in three hits as I try to parry. So much fun.

For what it's worth, Avelyn (the autocrossbow) users are like anti-fun police. Especially people who dual-wield them.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That would be http://setzeri.tumblr.com/.

Azzents fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 22, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I don't care one way or the other but the moral systems people have about their just-so cheating are weird.

It seems to be more about simulating an uncracked red eye orb, so while it gives an unfair advantage in the amount of invasions you get, once the invasion is underway, there's no difference between a guy with 1 red orb and 99 red orbs. It's like someone hacking in pretty armor, the only advantage it gives is looking more fabulous than anyone else, and I really can't get mad at a guy who decided to bring in a full onion set for the start of NG.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Azzents posted:

For what it's worth, Avelyn (the autocrossbow) users are like anti-fun police. Especially people who dual-wield them.

Avelyn is also really easy to dodge.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gazaar posted:

By that standard everything in the game is easy to dodge. What an idiotic thing to say.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gazaar posted:

Hardly. While its not impossible to dodge, its harder to avoid than most attacks because its 4 rapid fire shots that hit in succession. You have to time your dodge so that the i frames last through all 4. Also if there's any lag you're probably going to get hit.

Really though my problem with Avelyn is its so easy to incorporate into a build. Basically anyone can use Avelyn. Furthermore using it carries no risk since it fires so fast from long range. As far as I know you can't really punish someone for using Avelyn unless they're doing that ridiculous dual build, because for them reloading is actually an issue. As a result tons of people use it. It gets old really fast.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Internet Kraken posted:

Hardly. While its not impossible to dodge, its harder to avoid than most attacks because its 4 rapid fire shots that hit in succession. You have to time your dodge so that the i frames last through all 4. Also if there's any lag you're probably going to get hit.

Really though my problem with Avelyn is its so easy to incorporate into a build. Basically anyone can use Avelyn. Furthermore using it carries no risk since it fires so fast from long range. As far as I know you can't really punish someone for using Avelyn unless they're doing that ridiculous dual build, because for them reloading is actually an issue. As a result tons of people use it. It gets old really fast.

You don't even know how many shots it fires.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Internet Kraken posted:

Solid advice from a reputable source.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

No it's very easy to dodge Avelyn. Roll diagonally forward and you'll dodge all three bolts if you time it right. Of course, the opponent can delay the volley and hit you as you're coming out of a roll, but that actually requires forethought on their part, and you can avoid that by predicting and rolling another time, so nbd. And you can very easily hit someone after they fire an Avelyn voller; there's a good two seconds or so while they're reloading, giving you plenty of time to hit them once, and thus stunlock them for a bit.

Who cares if it can be incorporated into any build? So can bows, any weapon with low stat requirements, regular xbows, throwable consumables, pyromancy, etc.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I see that folks also haven't learned my favorite fact about fighting in this game: sprinting is sometimes better than rolling through things!!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Genocyber posted:

No it's very easy to dodge Avelyn. Roll diagonally forward and you'll dodge all three bolts if you time it right. Of course, the opponent can delay the volley and hit you as you're coming out of a roll, but that actually requires forethought on their part, and you can avoid that by predicting and rolling another time, so nbd. And you can very easily hit someone after they fire an Avelyn voller; there's a good two seconds or so while they're reloading, giving you plenty of time to hit them once, and thus stunlock them for a bit.

This is pretty much what I wanted to reply with before. Hot angles and last second rolls do a lot to counter things like santiers and avelyn.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
OtherDSWaifu, you had best stop invading the Abyss with your crappy little katana you're making me use up all my magic herbs.

I do admit I had a :eek: moment the first time you showed up but I was then underwhelmed by the results. Thanks for the 2 ascetics I guess.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

turtlecrunch posted:

OtherDSWaifu, you had best stop invading the Abyss with your crappy little katana you're making me use up all my magic herbs.

I do admit I had a :eek: moment the first time you showed up but I was then underwhelmed by the results. Thanks for the 2 ascetics I guess.

Invading in the abyss is just as dangerous as being the invadee! All NPCs attack host and phantom alike, it makes for interesting invasions.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Gazaar posted:

Invading in the abyss is just as dangerous as being the invadee! All NPCs attack host and phantom alike, it makes for interesting invasions.
The first time I invaded in the abyss, I kept backstabbing one of the phantoms because I thought it was the host. I was really confused when I killed it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

So you're saying its very easy to dodge when you have to roll in a specific direction in order to avoid being hit, which isn't always an option depending on where you are fighting? Just that it requires to roll in a specific direction to consistently dodge it makes it harder to avoid than the vast majority of attacks. So no, I wouldn't call it easy to dodge. And you can't reach them in 2 seconds when they fire from across the room.

Maybe its not hard for you to dodge but you really don't think its one of the harder things in the game to avoid? Especially when you have to take lag into account?

quote:

Who cares if it can be incorporated into any build? So can bows, any weapon with low stat requirements, regular xbows, throwable consumables, pyromancy, etc.

None of which are nearly as effective or prevalent as avelyn use. I care because its boring seeing the same weapon pulled out by nearly everyone you fight once you reach a certain SM range.

Gazaar posted:

You don't even know how many shots it fires.

Sorry I can't remember the exact details about every single weapon in this game off the top of my head.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So you're saying its very easy to dodge when you have to roll in a specific direction in order to avoid being hit, which isn't always an option depending on where you are fighting? Just that it requires to roll in a specific direction to consistently dodge it makes it harder to avoid than the vast majority of attacks. So no, I wouldn't call it easy to dodge. And you can't reach them in 2 seconds when they fire from across the room.

You can roll in pretty much any direction and dodge it, it's just that diagonally forward is the best. "Across the room?" You do realize they have to actually lock on to you, and if they're in lock-on range you can roll forward and attack them as they're in the reload animation.

quote:

None of which are nearly as effective or prevalent as avelyn use. I care because its boring seeing the same weapon pulled out by nearly everyone you fight once you reach a certain SM range.

I'd say pyromancy is a hell of a lot more effective, at least certain ones like Great Combustion. Very few people are good at rolling through it, and it's a great wakeup from a crit. Fire Whip and Chaos Firestorm are also fantastic.

I'd also say once you reach a certain SM range you see much less of it (aside from the small percentage who overlevel and got a Mundane one) because at that point, people know enough to know it's easily punished and thus not necessarily worth using. I certainly don't see it much (ng+ top SM tier).

quote:

Sorry I can't remember the exact details about every single weapon in this game off the top of my head.

If you don't know what you're talking about how can you complain about it? Also you just said everyone you see uses it; if that's the case how can you not know how many shots it fires unless you're not paying attention (which would explain why you seem to have trouble dodging it, I guess).

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Internet Kraken posted:

It takes no skill to use but it has no growth. An exceptional player with an Avelyn can't do much more with it than someone fresh out of the gate. To a new player its a powerhouse which is why you see so much of it and as a new player it seems like such a bitch to go against. But roll towards it at a diagonal and you only have to iframe a couple of the the bolts and the rest will miss. It takes a lot of stamina and is slow to fire and reload, and its fairly heavy if you are jamming it on top of a build. Unless they have the invisible weapon ring and you can't see it its not so bad once you get used to it.

vandalism posted:

How were you at PvE when you started? When I started dark souls 1 I died to each enemy at least once. PvP is basically the same experience except you don't fight the same enemy until you beat it. Other people's builds are roughly like a type of enemy. Pick your PvP build and then keep fighting until you get used to it. You'll start to see the patterns after a bit. The sword and board ones, greatsword ones, casters, fists, parry or backstab fishers, havelyns, and so on. Some will be really good and crush you, some will be really bad and walk off cliffs but most will be in the middle and you will pick up how a build works the same way you learn the difference between how a hollow fights vs how a mammoth knight fights. You will die. A lot. Its fine. You'll win some too and eventually you will realize you are crushing some chump in 3 hits while he flails around and you are the monster. Be sure to wave as he dies.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
One of my videos happens to have an avelyn using host! It works out really well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXgQ3YQnuoQ

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Avelyn is the hardest projectile attack to dodge.

I guess that's still very easy though.

Everything in this game is very easy.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

MrIWont4Get covers one of my favor weapons (if not my absolute favorite weapon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUTZcG0sYGM

Drakekeeper swooooord woooOoOoOo.

It's such a great weapon. It's so fast, so long, and it's so good for catching people coming out of rolls and guards and uauauauau so good for everything. Its only downside is that it has absolutely no thrust attack but eh.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

You can roll in pretty much any direction and dodge it, it's just that diagonally forward is the best. "Across the room?" You do realize they have to actually lock on to you, and if they're in lock-on range you can roll forward and attack them as they're in the reload animation.

Since when do you have to be locked onto someone to fire a crossbow? Also maybe if they stand still like a lemon you can punish them right after they fire but they can just roll away. The reload animation isn't very long. If they're firing Avelyn point blank then obviously you can punish that but most people I see use it when you're trying to close the gap.

quote:

I'd say pyromancy is a hell of a lot more effective, at least certain ones like Great Combustion. Very few people are good at rolling through it, and it's a great wakeup from a crit. Fire Whip and Chaos Firestorm are also fantastic.

Literally seen one person who used pyromancy effectively. Haven't had any trouble with it. Plus pyromancy requires way more investment to use than avelyn. You need a lot of attunement for spell slots and casting speed, otherwise your working with long cast times for spells other than combustion which leave you exposed. Definitely a bigger risk than just using avelyn.

quote:

If you don't know what you're talking about how can you complain about it? Also you just said everyone you see uses it; if that's the case how can you not know how many shots it fires unless you're not paying attention (which would explain why you seem to have trouble dodging it, I guess).

I forgot the exact number of shots because I never use it and hadn't fought against someone using it in awhile. Thinking harder about it yeah I should of remembered it had 3 shots but oh well. You're reading way too much into a small mistake.

VVV Fine, but I really disagree with you about pyromancies. I like pyromancy, think its pretty good, but I've fought approximately one person that made good use of it. Definitely haven't seen people casually pull out flame hands and try to cast anything. Maybe its different at high SM but I don't see why it would be, given pyromancy doesn't rely heavily on scaling. Anyone can just slap on the ritual band and carry some spells if that's all they want to do.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Since when do you have to be locked onto someone to fire a crossbow? Also maybe if they stand still like a lemon you can punish them right after they fire but they can just roll away. The reload animation isn't very long. If they're firing Avelyn point blank then obviously you can punish that but most people I see use it when you're trying to close the gap.

You have to be locked on for it to have any sort of tracking. You could manually aim it as well, but that's considerably less effective, and makes the volley even easier to dodge.

quote:

Literally seen one person who used pyromancy effectively. Haven't had any trouble with it. Plus pyromancy requires way more investment to use than avelyn. You need a lot of attunement for spell slots and casting speed, otherwise your working with long cast times for spells other than combustion which leave you exposed. Definitely a bigger risk than just using avelyn.

Nope. You need no attunement for pyromancies. You have three slots with the Southern Ritual Band+2, which is enough to attune three single slot pyros (And the single slot ones tend to be the good ones). You don't need any sort of casting speed boost as they all come out quick enough already, and due to the lingering hitboxes some of the pyros tend to have, it's even less of an issue.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Man, who even uses free aim Avelyn

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

argondamn posted:

Everything in this game is very easy.

Dark Souls 2: Prepare to Cry.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nahxela posted:

Man, who even uses free aim Avelyn

Ratbros in Doors of Pharros.

From any number of heights when you try to tuck yourself out of lock-on range.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Fine, but I really disagree with you about pyromancies. I like pyromancy, think its pretty good, but I've fought approximately one person that made good use of it. Definitely haven't seen people casually pull out flame hands and try to cast anything. Maybe its different at high SM but I don't see why it would be, given pyromancy doesn't rely heavily on scaling. Anyone can just slap on the ritual band and carry some spells if that's all they want to do.
You don't really need heavy scaling to make something deal good damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_M1eRaI0c0

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nahxela posted:

You don't really need heavy scaling to make something deal good damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_M1eRaI0c0

That's exactly my point though; pyromancy isn't really dependent on scaling outside of attunement. Genocyber specifically mentioned people putting on the +2 attunement ring and using pyromancy in almost any build, which would work even at low SM. Yet I never see it used effectively. Which isn't to say pyromancy isn't good, but rather I don't think its anywhere near as easy to use as avelyn is.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Well, I linked the video because it's a guy making effective use of pyromancy. Guy sets up a ton of easy lingering flame trades.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there any way to get more copies of lightning spear in the first play through?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I'd also say once you reach a certain SM range you see much less of it (aside from the small percentage who overlevel and got a Mundane one) because at that point, people know enough to know it's easily punished and thus not necessarily worth using. I certainly don't see it much (ng+ top SM tier).

Yeah actually I just got into the SM range of 4m in NG+ and am coming across a few less tryhards doing the Havels/Avelyn thing. I think most people by the time they get that far get tired of everyone having the same builds.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there any way to get more copies of lightning spear in the first play through?
There's another copy of it in Earthen Peak, and Licia's stock of spells eventually become infinite. I don't know the exact time of that, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nahxela posted:

There's another copy of it in Earthen Peak, and Licia's stock of spells eventually become infinite. I don't know the exact time of that, though.

Once you crack open the Winter Shrine she sells infinite of everything she has.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I think I just had my favorite PvP match ever.

I got called to the Bell Tower. it was some dude and a white phantom. the white phantom charged at me and attacked, which I rolled through towards the host, who was in the middle of casting lightning spear. before he could get it off I swooped behind and backstabbed him. the fight was over in 8 seconds tops. I'm normally average-to-poor at Dark Souls PvP so this was awesome.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

Once you crack open the Winter Shrine she sells infinite of everything she has.

In addition, a few other various and sundry bits merchants sell become infinite in the window between you shanking Nashandra and starting another cycle. Off the top of my head are herbs from Ornifex and titanite chunks from Chloanne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Toxic Mist just took out the Prowling Magus and his entire congregation in one go... I think I like this spell.