Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Just another day at Abyssals.

Thank you Kari, bringer of Pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010

quote:

Once you've completed the Dig Site quest and have at least one out of 75 Attack, 75 Magic, 75 Ranged and 91 Constitution, speak to the archaeological expert at the Dig Site Exam Centre.

He'll hand you the Codex Ultimatus: a tome filled with Zarosian lore, focusing on Zaros's battle with the many-headed beast god Loarnab. Read the book, and you'll unlock four new combat abilities while you're at it.

Three of these are deadly threshold abilities:

Blood Tendrils (75 Attack): Deals up to 180% weapon damage to your target instantly, then inflicts 90% of weapon damage over time to the target, and 25% weapon damage over time to the caster.
Shadow Tendrils (75 Ranged): Hits the caster 2-5 times, for a total of 33-250% weapon damage, then damages the target for 66-500% weapon damage in a single hit.
Smoke Tendrils (75 Magic): Deals up to 100% weapon damage to the target, then three more hits as a combo attack: up to 125%, 150%, and 200% weapon damage. During the combo, the caster suffers three hits of up to 25%, 50%, and 100% weapon damage.
Note that the damage incurred from casting these abilities is proportional to that caused to your enemy, and it can kill you. They're powerful, but dangerous, and it's up to you to manage the risk!

Finally, there's Ice Asylum (91 Constitution): an ultimate ability that conjures a healing crystal of ice. Every four seconds, this heals up anyone within range for 1-7% of their maximum life points, depending on how close they are to the crystal. The total amount healed (shared among everyone affected by the crystal) is three times the caster's maximum life points, including armour and other flat boosts.

I like the looks of combining team of healers with high damage abilities that need approximately that much healing to recover from. Maybe now bossing can be made even more available.

the rest is here, including some new familiars and dragon items.

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/ancient-combat?jptg=ia&jptv=community_news

Professor Oak fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 19, 2014

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I did pretty well at Dominion Tower last weekend!

I also did quite well in terms of protean bars:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm so loving bored that I'm actually thinking about playing this game again for the first time since like 2009. I was looking into rs2007 which seems neat since RS3 looks more like a lovely real game than a good alt-tabbing simulator. Am I wrong about this?

I've got an old account from literally elementary school but it's only like 600 total level with absolutely nothing of note - even with botting I only made it up to like 50s on my highest skills.

Also is botting in RS2007 a thing? I'm assuming it isn't in RS3 but I don't know anything about old school. It was always a fun way to turn the game into glorified cookie clicker, just maintain the bot every 12 hours or something.

Basically I'm actually thinking about playing this game for some godawful reason but I'm not sure how to go about it :shobon:. I'd like it to be sort of low effort, more of something to play on the side than like my primary gaming experience.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
TBH, new RS is just as AFKable as OSRS, with the dubious benefits of having fewer spergs and bots.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
07scape is great if you fuckin' love not being able to get around fast.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Rs3 is way more afk than Runescape ever was in the past

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
RS3 is also much more fun than oldschool, better looking, you level twelve times faster, combat is more involved and enjoyable, you can get more money more easily, you have access to citadels and thus Goonscape Activities...

Basically, don't play oldschool. Friends may not let friends play Runescape, but the really lovely friends won't stop their friends from playing OSRS.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I picked up a bond for five bucks to see how I like RS3 and OSRS but I'm sort of lost. I honestly didn't know how to play this game at all back when I last played, so I'm basically a new player but with some extra baggage. I've got an old character but it's a huge mess.

These are my poo poo skills:

My bank is full of random poo poo (and I'm pretty sure it's all worthless):

And finally my very short list of completed quests:

There's a ton of quests that I've started but not completed at some point in the last 10 years, with varying levels of progress.

I'm wearing a set of mystic robes and an air battlestaff, but all of my other gear and money seems to be gone. What the hell should I be doing to try to sort of get my poo poo together so that I can do something interesting (preferably involving loot of some sort)?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 20, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Fruit Chewy posted:

I'm wearing a set of mystic robes and an air battlestaff, but all of my other gear and money seems to be gone. What the hell should I be doing to try to sort of get my poo poo together so that I can do something interesting (preferably involving loot of some sort)?

Consider Slayer tasks, also spells have been revised in terms of damage and rune cost, so if you want to mage all you really need is an air battlestaff or the likes.

Do a bunch of Slayer and in your quest guide click "filter" and start doing novice level quests, some of them have all right rewards. And go do your clue scroll, it could net you somewhere between 3k to 300m, depending on what kind it is.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Spergminer posted:

Consider Slayer tasks, also spells have been revised in terms of damage and rune cost, so if you want to mage all you really need is an air battlestaff or the likes.

Do a bunch of Slayer and in your quest guide click "filter" and start doing novice level quests, some of them have all right rewards. And go do your clue scroll, it could net you somewhere between 3k to 300m, depending on what kind it is.

I'm not super sure that I want to mage but since I've got the gear I'll roll with it for now. I picked up a slayer task and I'm now out in the haunted woods killing vampyres using the revolution combat style and a bar setup that I found on the wiki since I don't really know the combat system yet.

It seems to be going alright.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Fruit Chewy posted:

I'm not super sure that I want to mage but since I've got the gear I'll roll with it for now. I picked up a slayer task and I'm now out in the haunted woods killing vampyres using the revolution combat style and a bar setup that I found on the wiki since I don't really know the combat system yet.

It seems to be going alright.

Revolution owns so much, here's the secret to abilities: Combine the stun ability with the stun punishment ability, and the other 10 slots are just whatever abilities sounds coolest.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Guess who turned in 5 challenges at once? :smug:

Bank cleaning #15 is here! It's a newcomer with the second best name next to mine, Fruit Chewy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPXQRLRQrV4

Seeing as how he just started again, it was an easy one to clean and I was super tempted to do all sorts of stuff, but I stuck to Wicked Hood and activating Taverly Lodestone mostly.

Imagine though if he hadn't trusted in the services of the Pizza Lady! Three months from now, that bank would rival the likes of Joachim's and Jorts's.

You can also see in the video that I got him like 5 or 6 levels while cleaning.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Themata posted:

Guess who turned in 5 challenges at once? :smug:

Did you enjoy doubling your bank at treasure hunter? :smugbert:

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

I'm 5% of the way to 120 slayer! Why would I do this to myself you ask? Actually I don't have an answer.

I started somewhere between 19.5m and 20m xp

Not pictured: over 3m worth of high-alched rune loot

Everything except the gems sold or alched:

I won't keep posting loot every 5 or 10 %, that would get old fast, but if y'all want some slayer tips or whatever I can do that.

And if anyone wants to do some co-op slayer, I'm always down for that too.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

OSRS News Nobody Care About - Clue Scroll Expansion, Bank Tabs, New Skill, & F2P Relaunch Edition

A poll has been launched to determine which of a group of player-designed skills will be added to OSRS in the coming months.

Player Designed Skill Finalists:
  • Artisan: Slayer, but for skilling.
  • Astronomy: The shooting star D&D, but as a skill. Sounds genuinely awful.
  • Forestry: SimForest. Maintain and grow woodlands that upgrade and improve with invested time in tasks and maintenance.
  • Geomancy: AKA Archaeology. Dig up fossils, enchant things, play with dirt. Praise Helix.
  • Herding: The bastard child of Hunter and Farming. Raise animals for related harvests of goods, ex: Raising unicorns gives you unicorn horns.

Detailed descriptions of the finalists.

The poll can be found here. But let's be honest, everyone's going to vote for Artisan, despite Archaeology sounding legitimately neat and fairly original in concept.

Clue Scroll Expansion!
Tomorrow is the launch of a massive clue scroll expansion for OSRS, with a bevy of new rewards including the remaining trimmed armour sets (bronze-mithril, dragon (g) kits and dragonhide (g)). Other notable new rewards include Third Age weapons (Wand, Broadsword, and Longbow), masks and hats, and god cloaks and staves representing Armadyl, Bandos, and others. More details to follow tomorrow.

Gallery of some of the new items.

In other news nobody cares about...
The past couple weeks have seen some quality of life tweaks including:
  • The Motherlode Mine has new rewards: the Gem Bag and Coal Bag, stripped almost exactly from Dungeoneering. The coal bag can store up to 27 coal which can be consumed from inside the bag when you're smelting and superheating. Gem bags can store 60 of each uncut gem up to dragonstone.
  • The Dragon Pickaxe is getting remodeled by the new OSRS graphic designer. See the last image in this gallery for the new design.
  • The settings menu has been remade from scratch, with new toggles. You can now toggle 'attack' on or off for your left click option, making thieving slightly less of a clickfest, and making right-click attacking a thing of the past.
  • Bank Tabs! A major quality of life update, the tab system is more robust than the RS3 system, with free dragging and dropping of tabs allowed as well as customizable tab icons. Also, taking items out doesn't shuffle your bank rows around, instead leaving the positions fixed until you close the bank.

For more news and patch notes, check out the OldSchool General Forum or the RuneScape Wiki Patch Note Archive.

I almost forgot, F2P IS COMING BACK TO OSRS!

OSRS Newspost posted:

On the 27th May we will start a F2P trial where all newly made accounts will have access to a F2P version of Old School for two weeks. We will be opening a series of new F2P worlds which all members will be able to access. In order to limit any impact from gold farmers and bots we will be disabling yew trees which are the primary targets for these accounts.

Throughout this trial we will be doing everything we can to push the trial out to the world, however we need your help too. To make Old School and F2P Old School the best it can be we need all of you to get behind this trial. You need to be telling your friends and ex-clan mates, making videos on Youtube, streaming and generally telling everyone you can that Old School is F2P. You can help by engaging F2P players, giving out welcome packs and anything else you can to help the F2P community feel welcome.

Together we have the opportunity to grow the Old School community hugely by introducing F2P in the right way which is something we all want.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 22, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Soulhunter posted:

OSRS News Nobody Care About - Clue Scroll Expansion, Bank Tabs, New Skill, & F2P Relaunch Edition

Clue Scroll Expansion!
Tomorrow is the launch of a massive clue scroll expansion for OSRS, with a bevy of new rewards including the remaining trimmed armour sets (bronze-mithril, dragon (g) kits and dragonhide (g)). Other notable new rewards include Third Age weapons (Wand, Broadsword, and Longbow), masks and hats, and god cloaks and staves representing Armadyl, Bandos, and others. More details to follow tomorrow.

:catstare::catstare::catstare:

What the hell is this.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

What the hell is this.

A Good Update

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Soulhunter posted:

[*]The settings menu has been remade from scratch, with new toggles. You can now toggle 'attack' on or off for your left click option, making thieving slightly less of a clickfest, and making right-click attacking a thing of the past.
[*]Bank Tabs! A major quality of life update, the tab system is more robust than the RS3 system, with free dragging and dropping of tabs allowed as well as customizable tab icons. Also, taking items out doesn't shuffle your bank rows around, instead leaving the positions fixed until you close the bank.

This makes me unreasonably annoyed.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Can't wait for RS3 to finally get a Treasure Trail update in 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Old School Runescape more like wacky alternate universe Runescape at this point.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Eventually Old School Runescape is going to run the way Runescape 3 should've, minus the graphics and we'll wonder why we wasted our lives on the main game. :negative:

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Poonerman posted:

Can't wait for RS3 to finally get a Treasure Trail update in 2055

Fixed that for you!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
OSRS will probably never have a GE and thus forever be inferior

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

All of these updates and still no proper clan chat? For shame Jagex, for shame.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Install Windows posted:

OSRS will probably never have a GE and thus forever be inferior

Actually, there was a player poll recently, and they basically voted for a G.E. A trading solution similar to it is in the works.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Soulhunter posted:

Actually, there was a player poll recently, and they basically voted for a G.E. A trading solution similar to it is in the works.

But the GE ruined Runescape :byodood:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I heard they were doing an Auction house which sounds really poo poo. I just want the GE, gently caress anybody who says it ruins the game, spamming in Varrock is terrible.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
So what are the odds that, within a 2 week time period, I could make enough dosh for a bond with these poo poo stats?

My magic/def/const are closer to mid 50s now but mostly everything is still poo poo. I'm really not sure how to even go about making money in this game other than just mining poo poo which is awful.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Soulhunter posted:

Forestry: SimForest. Maintain and grow woodlands that upgrade and improve with invested time in tasks and maintenance.
Geomancy: AKA Archaeology. Dig up fossils, enchant things, play with dirt. Praise Helix.
Herding: The bastard child of Hunter and Farming. Raise animals for related harvests of goods, ex: Raising unicorns gives you unicorn horns.

Damnit Jagex just make Runescape into a mini Harvest Moon already :mad:
Also, left click change in mother loving old school Runescape while current Runescape remains unchanged. Why.....
OSRS is looking slightly more fun every update, now put resting/new run energy recovery in and I would play it.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Turns out I was wrong on the timing for the clue scroll update for OSRS, we're still a week or two out from it. In the meantime, check out the OSRS mods' twitter accounts for previews of the new equipment.

OSRS Updates We Don't Care About for 5/22:
  • An autotyper option has been added to the chat system, evening the playing field for those who don't use autotypers for trade advertising. This is a temporary solution to help with trading issues until a formal system can be implemented.
  • 'Operate' options on the equipment menu have been expanded to show item-specific options, as is the case on RS3. Ex: 'Operate' is now 'Teleport to Edgeville' and other options on a glory amulet.
  • Various changes to the Thermonuclear Smoke Devil and Kraken Queen Slayer bosses to maintain consistency.

Check out the news post on the old school website or general forum for more notes and details.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Today on OSRS: We added a few new features to make the game flow more efficiently and smoothly!
Today on RS3: We fixed an typos in Rat Pits and tweaked a polygon. render south of the Poison Wastte swamp!

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
This is kind of eerie, Artisan looks like the skill skill I've joked about. Except you know, without the actual terribleness that I put into it intentionally.

If you're curious, it the full joke version I made up went something like this: The Skill skill gets xp from training other skills. As you raise your skill skill, you unlock everything else. For example say you have 99 in mining, but only 1 in the Skill skill. Have fun only being able to mine tin, copper, clay, and regular unpure rune essence.

I believe the original discussion was 'what would be the most :jagex: skill ever?' I believe someone suggested a combination of hunter and other terrible skills. I think that farming mechanics were added to it, funnily enough. But it's been ages so I don't remember it clearly at all. It was before divination, so it wouldn't have had that. It might have been more than two skills though. The moneysink skill aspects could have been involved.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Dam all these OSRS updates look good. I really think this is the path "proper runescape" should have taken back in 2006 instead of removing wilderness and all the other stuff. Makes me want to use a bond i bought way back and get back to training my zerker but with no friends playing anymore i dont think i could stand it.

Using a bond for membership gives access to OSRS too right?

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Mursupitsku posted:

Using a bond for membership gives access to OSRS too right?

Correct. There's also a F2P trial period coming up for OSRS, but that might just be for new accounts.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Soulhunter posted:

Correct. There's also a F2P trial period coming up for OSRS, but that might just be for new accounts.

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure they meant if you haven't played OSRS on your account, you can access F2P, because you need to make a new character the first time you log into it and do the tutorial island. Although membership is linked between OSRS and RS3 so if you are a member, you'll still be a member.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

So after all the cleaning talk lately I decided to clean my now-dirty bank since Pizza Lady's cleaning 6 months ago. All my tabs are neat and organized except for the combat tab and costumes/miscellaneous tab.

Look at this mess. :barf:
Luckily I'm almost completely done with cleaning my bank, hopefully I can get the presets to work out for me when I'm doing combat.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Pizza Lady, Joachim, and I were discussing the most pointless patch notes that Jagex bothers to update. Joachim found this:

It's like a game! Find the most pointless update/fix in the sea of worthless updates :v:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

How Rude posted:

Pizza Lady, Joachim, and I were discussing the most pointless patch notes that Jagex bothers to update. Joachim found this:

It's like a game! Find the most pointless update/fix in the sea of worthless updates :v:

On the one hand, I'm glad that they're putting that kind of attention into things. On the other hand, Jesus Christ, the amount of things I could list that could use that attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Well the Ninja team are doing a fairly good job at improving the general game experience at the very least, considering they've only been around for a few months now.

Then again, I'm fairly sure this is still in the game.

:shepface:

• Locked thread