Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Iron Leg posted:

congrats! how far up north? bay area or seattle?

Vancouver/Seattle area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brackhar posted:

Riot is a great place to work. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

That being said, today is an interesting day. After five years at Riot today will be my last day at the company. I'm leaving to take a design director position at a new studio up north, which has basically been my dream since I got into the industry. It's a risk, but one I'm really excited about! I know I've not posted in this thread too much as of late, but thanks to everyone here who supported me when I was first trying to get into the industry. It was advice from an earlier version of this thread that got me my internship at Riot those many years ago, and were it not for the help of peeps like Shalinor I never would have the opportunity I do now. Thanks guys. :)

Congrats Brackypants!

Edit: It's Ken, I change my account stuff up a lot.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Congrats Brackypants!

Edit: It's Ken, I change my account stuff up a lot.

It's confusing!

What are you up to these days, anyway?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brackhar posted:

It's confusing!

What are you up to these days, anyway?

I work in the elusive internet industry now. Community managerish stuff. Turning weaknesses into strengths and all that jazz.

Hope stuff works out awesomely for ya, just poking my head in.

Edit: The only thing that would get me back in the industry would be working on a fighting game or a writing gig, probably. Where I am is pretty nice. :)

anime was right fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 17, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Brackhar posted:

That being said, today is an interesting day. After five years at Riot today will be my last day at the company. I'm leaving to take a design director position at a new studio up north, which has basically been my dream since I got into the industry. It's a risk, but one I'm really excited about! I know I've not posted in this thread too much as of late, but thanks to everyone here who supported me when I was first trying to get into the industry. It was advice from an earlier version of this thread that got me my internship at Riot those many years ago, and were it not for the help of peeps like Shalinor I never would have the opportunity I do now. Thanks guys. :)
Just glad it's working out, dude!

And congrats on making the risky play. Those are always The Best. They can be The Worst too, but you'll never find The Best unless you try 'em.

My little indie venture will be in Poulsbo, WA next year, so uh... maybe there's a ferry from Kitsap over to where you'll be? No idea. You need to convince them to move their studio down to that "hub" that's building around the ferry terminal in downtown. Seems like ALL the indies are down there these days, along with Amazon and a ton of others.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Brackhar posted:

Vancouver/Seattle area.

If you're in the Seattle area, we definitely need to meet up again.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Brackhar posted:

Congrats man! I hope it works out well for you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jumping into the ether is terrifying. Good on you for trying it and I hope it works out the best.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Brackhar posted:

Congrats! I remember those old posts, crazy to think it's been five years.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

icking fudiot posted:

Congrats! I remember those old posts, crazy to think it's been five years.

Yeah, time really flies in this industry. :choco:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

wodin posted:

League is doing very well and I have huge admiration for their senior leadership, so assuming your friend can meet the performance requirements it should be stable place to work.

Brackhar posted:

Thanks guys! Also good luck Brackhar!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Jeff Vogel is killing it this month: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.ca/2014/05/the-indie-bubble-is-popping.html

(His last one on free to play set so many hackles on edge, it was great!)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

So I mentioned having employment, but never said what. I'm now working on a lot of the day-to-day and marketing operations for the speedrun charity marathon SGDQ, and that might extend that into AGDQ. It's been pretty awesome and I'm really happy to be working with an awesome community for an event I already loved :toot:.

Also if anyone its going to be at E3 myself and a couple other 'GDQ guys will be there.

(Also if any press goons are around I'd love to talk)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

devilmouse posted:

Jeff Vogel is killing it this month: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.ca/2014/05/the-indie-bubble-is-popping.html

The indie scene getting saturated with shovelware was inevitable, but I don't really agree with him that mid-budget developers are the worst-off. If anything, I think that they're in the pretty good position of having the resources to produce something high-quality enough to escape the shovelware morass while avoiding the risk aversion that comes with expensive productions.

This is especially the case when what's been happening more and more lately is that established figures from successful commercial titles have been going indie and racking up a bunch of funding through Kickstarter, using their reputation for the marketing push

baby puzzle posted:

Is there a magic potion that forces designers to think about multiplayer?
Make them play it.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Artists, please learn how to use your version control software.

I'm running out of quicklime.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

So I read this and I've been thinking about it and as someone who exists in that middle-ground space for the most part the only real conclusion I can reach from it is this: "Oh. Ok."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Tricky Ed posted:

Hahaha.

My favorite thing from artists was the merge of over a gig worth of files with the entire description being 'updated texture'.

My least favorite thing from artists was the update that made the game smaller with the description 'update'

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

Tricky Ed posted:

I think our artists would have a fit if they understood just how good programmer workflow is with git etc. I commit locally like once an hour, and my branches are backed up remotely. The chances of me losing work and time are pretty remote (unless I hard reset something stupidly or whatever). Also we can merge! And view differences! And see who did what!

Artists, however, are constantly saving off temp versions of files all over the place on their machines. We use perforce for assets, which doesn't provide anything nearly as nice (shelves are crap). Changes are stomped left and right as people aren't careful about checking in. The worst thing is that a lot of people don't work defensively against things going wrong. People work for hours without even saving.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Sion posted:

Hahaha.

My favorite thing from artists was the merge of over a gig worth of files with the entire description being 'updated texture'.

My least favorite thing from artists was the update that made the game smaller with the description 'update'

There's a perforce option to remove unchanged files from a commit, and I'm not convinced that doing that for the whole company would not help some of these crazy multi-thousand file merges. We're lucky enough to have artists who have worked in the industry long enough (and short enough!) that they're familiar with source control.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

The secret to source control and artists is to have a draconian sysadmin who (ab)uses the hell out of p4 triggers, typemaps, and so on.

Checking in binary files? They're exclusive checkout only. A space in a file name or a capitalized character? Commit rejected!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

devilmouse posted:

A space in a file name or a capitalized character? Commit rejected!

Seeing this made my breath catch in my throat - I want this, so bad.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

devilmouse posted:

The secret to source control and artists is to have a draconian sysadmin who (ab)uses the hell out of p4 triggers, typemaps, and so on.

Checking in binary files? They're exclusive checkout only. A space in a file name or a capitalized character? Commit rejected!
GIT :(

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Aliginge posted:

If anybody in the UK is reading this, I am hearing some really good things about Abertay University up here in Dundee compared to Teesside where I graduated, from a friend of mine up here doing his Masters. Lots more mixed group work, actual devkits, actual games being made and Dundee Dare games festival in the town centre showing off actual student games actually for realsies.

Helps that Dundee is a significantly nicer town than Middlesbrough ever is and is a bustling game dev community, so you know, pass on the word to people applying to uni :toot:

Also I should totally get back into life drawing and poo poo at a local college or something but :darksouls: has consumed my spare time. Thanks Akuma. :v:

Dundee's fine if you think you can learn games in school.

You will however end up in QA unless you're an awesome coder or artist.

I mentored about 12 groups at Abertay year before last. For the most part their attitudes left much to be desired.

The community hasn't been great for the last few years since we (RTW) exploded but if you want to work in mobile you should be ok.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

We branched assets and then gave the artists a lovely GUI with big checkout and checkin buttons which ran p4 cmd scripts. Then the engineers merged the work back only when they and artists were satisfied.

Essentially you want them in their own ghetto :v:

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

superh posted:

Seeing this made my breath catch in my throat - I want this, so bad.

Trigger scripts are pretty easy to setup. Hassle whoever admins your Perforce! They make life so so much better.

We made that mistake once a few years ago, trying to have artists in a DVCS. Never again! Code in git, assets in P4. It's lovely for branching, but it's a far better world than them constantly mucking up the treet. "I didn't make any changes to code. Reverted!" "Yes, I want to push, I know what I'm doing, so force it!" And on and on and on.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Is Riot a nice place to work at? Is it stable? Friend of mine is curious.

A Riot employee did a piece on working at Riot over at reddit a few weeks back: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/20ivqv/the_hard_realities_of_working_at_riot_games/. Make if it what you will.

All in all, the vibe I got was that it's a truly awful place to work if you have a family or any kind of personal life outside work, or if you like things like professionalism and good management. On the other hand, it sounds like an absolute dream for a childless 20-something.

It sounds like the kind of place I would have loved ten years ago, but would drive me insane today.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 22, 2014

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

A Riot employee did a piece on working at Riot over at reddit a few weeks back: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/20ivqv/the_hard_realities_of_working_at_riot_games/. Make if it what you will.

All in all, the vibe I got was that it's a truly awful place to work if you have a family or any kind of personal life outside work, or if you like things like professionalism and good management. On the other hand, it sounds like an absolute dream for a childless 20-something.

It sounds like the kind of place I would have loved ten years ago, but would drive me insane today.

Whoa that reddit link makes the place sound kinda nuts. But isn't it just a lure for people who just had a rotten time there or just want to bitch about the game? Or possibly similar to glassdoor review sites which attract discontented workers while happier ones wouldn't even bother?

With that said there's some truth in what's posted there I think even though it reads like a honeypot.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Studio posted:

So I mentioned having employment, but never said what. I'm now working on a lot of the day-to-day and marketing operations for the speedrun charity marathon SGDQ, and that might extend that into AGDQ. It's been pretty awesome and I'm really happy to be working with an awesome community for an event I already loved :toot:.

Also if anyone its going to be at E3 myself and a couple other 'GDQ guys will be there.

(Also if any press goons are around I'd love to talk)

Very cool dude! I'll get you in touch with the senior editor at Big Shiny Robot for an interview. Check your messages!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Whoa that reddit link makes the place sound kinda nuts. But isn't it just a lure for people who just had a rotten time there or just want to bitch about the game? Or possibly similar to glassdoor review sites which attract discontented workers while happier ones wouldn't even bother?

With that said there's some truth in what's posted there I think even though it reads like a honeypot.

If you'd like to chat over Skype or something about my experiences at Riot I'd be happy to. I still think Riot is a great place to work, though no company is perfect.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Brackhar posted:

If you'd like to chat over Skype or something about my experiences at Riot I'd be happy to. I still think Riot is a great place to work, though no company is perfect.

I don't have messages but you can reach me at jjbuckwheat for Skype

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

devilmouse posted:

A space in a file name or a capitalized character? Commit rejected!

Ugh, our artist took the initiative of creating the source assets folder in Perforce. Guess what it's called?

"Art Source"!

I cringe every time I have to deal with the path in a client spec. I'm going to have put an asset freeze in place to rename that sooner than later.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I don't have messages but you can reach me at jjbuckwheat for Skype

Get online. :frog:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

what is quicklime? I'm assuming it's a margarita mix for all the drinking that bad P4 submits leads to?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

what is quicklime? I'm assuming it's a margarita mix for all the drinking that bad P4 submits leads to?

It's what you use to hide the bodies.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Sigma-X posted:

It's a very strong industrial chemical traditionally used to render down bodies for easy disposal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_oxide if you're curious about more details.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

baby puzzle posted:

I think our artists would have a fit if they understood just how good programmer workflow is with git etc. I commit locally like once an hour, and my branches are backed up remotely. The chances of me losing work and time are pretty remote (unless I hard reset something stupidly or whatever). Also we can merge! And view differences! And see who did what!

Artists, however, are constantly saving off temp versions of files all over the place on their machines. We use perforce for assets, which doesn't provide anything nearly as nice (shelves are crap). Changes are stomped left and right as people aren't careful about checking in. The worst thing is that a lot of people don't work defensively against things going wrong. People work for hours without even saving.

The crazy thing for me is just how often huge industry standard art software crashes. If Visual Studio crashed a tenth as often as Maya there would be rioting in the streets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The killer for me with art creation tools is how revision control simply does not exist as a concept. You typically have an undo buffer, but that's wiped out whenever you close the file. The only way to experiment and try something new without losing old work is to save as a new file and deal with the hassle all of that generates.

How much cooler would it be if Photoshop had git-style branches where you could fork off at any point in time and click around in a tree view at will to compare revisions?

Only program I've seen that gets close to this is Lightroom, you can create virtual copies of any image and make edits without destroying any data.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

BabelFish posted:

The crazy thing for me is just how often huge industry standard art software crashes. If Visual Studio crashed a tenth as often as Maya there would be rioting in the streets.

This. I never hear programmers complaining about application instability, but then again our art programs are pretty resource heavy, I think most programming software is only intensive on cpu/ram during build or whatever.

Maya is just a bitch.

xzzy posted:

The killer for me with art creation tools is how revision control simply does not exist as a concept. You typically have an undo buffer, but that's wiped out whenever you close the file. The only way to experiment and try something new without losing old work is to save as a new file and deal with the hassle all of that generates.

How much cooler would it be if Photoshop had git-style branches where you could fork off at any point in time and click around in a tree view at will to compare revisions?

Only program I've seen that gets close to this is Lightroom, you can create virtual copies of any image and make edits without destroying any data.

ZBrush has this now with it's undo history but it's still a limited amount of undos (10-15k range) which you can save out with the ztool itself which is pretty handy. I still like to keep seperate ztool iterations because I like to manually control my iterations that way I can tell which ones I may or may not go back to.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I don't know what programmers you're talking to, because I sure as hell hate Visual Studio, but it's the least of all evils that I've found. It's been gradually getting better, but I can just about crash it on demand working in UE3, and there's a decent chance it will occasionally decide to crash for no good reason at all and eat all of my carefully set up customization.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm in a small office with a couple programmers and it's definitely the artists that flip their poo poo out over crashes more than programmers. Maybe programmers have more tolerance for dumb poo poo happening because they know why it happens or something, whereas artists usually just blame it on the overall producers of the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

mastermind2004 posted:

and eat all of my carefully set up customization.

Export Settings :ssh: