Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Almost any Showa rider is pretty Mister Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Does anybody have a link to the previous toku thread? I have archives if that's needed.

Also you guys's initial reactions to Gaim earlier in this tread vs now are amazing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pretty sure my reaction has softened a bit on the show, because it's gotten a little better than the first few terrible episodes. Most of the "best show ever" people migrated to the Gaim thread for posting.

Not to discount the people enjoying the show with a more measured opinion who post here and continue to do so.

I have archives, but last time I checked it was down.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be the dumbest loving poo poo ever, but it's one of my favorite rider series's at the moment. It'd have to end really poorly for that to change.

I've got a soft spot for karate bugmen, and the only one I couldn't actually get any enjoyment out of was Faiz (10 eps in, I just dropped it.)

Or Wizard, which was really awful.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be the dumbest loving poo poo ever, but it's one of my favorite rider series's at the moment. It'd have to end really poorly for that to change.

I've got a soft spot for karate bugmen, and the only one I couldn't actually get any enjoyment out of was Faiz (10 eps in, I just dropped it.)

Or Wizard, which was really awful.

When Gaim came out everyone's reaction should have been "Look, they literally don't give a poo poo anymore"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twistys Rapture posted:

When Gaim came out everyone's reaction should have been "Look, they literally don't give a poo poo anymore"

I love you Twisty. :allears:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twistys Rapture posted:

that is a true statement, I am glad I was wrong though.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

that is a true statement, I am glad I was wrong though.

The only remotely interesting character is Mitchy but everyone else is exactly how they were went first introduced. Takatora maybe but only for like one episode and watching Mitchy double cross everyone is amusing, but everyone else sucks..Kouta had a brief, oh I'm killing people but got over it in an episode or two

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Twistys Rapture posted:

Thats what mine was and I didn't watch it because of that, I sort of regret it now but will marathon it some time.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Twistys Rapture posted:

The only remotely interesting character is Mitchy but everyone else is exactly how they were went first introduced. Takatora maybe but only for like one episode and watching Mitchy double cross everyone is amusing, but everyone else sucks..Kouta had a brief, oh I'm killing people but got over it in an episode or two

dang it must be awful to live in the wrongzone

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rei_ posted:

dang it must be awful to live in the wrongzone

Living there, you obviously know.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Out of curiosity, Twisty, what did you think of Den-o?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

Living there, you obviously know.

See Twisty, this is how you know you're in dangerous territory. Potsticker is sticking up for you.

Also re: Initial reactions to Gaim to now, I hated the suit in those few production shots that made the Orange look kind of golden/coppery but once the Preview and the better picture with the Gaim, Ornac, Zangetsu, Baron, and Ryugen hit I was onboard. Of course the show turned out a lot less carefree than the original pitch of "Street Dancers use Pokemon to fight THE MAN" but I feel that's been for the better.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Out of curiosity, Twisty, what did you think of Den-o?

It was good until Hana became young for no reason (actress left, I know) and the ending was soooo bad. But the characters were fun

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

See Twisty, this is how you know you're in dangerous territory. Potsticker is sticking up for you.

Also re: Initial reactions to Gaim to now, I hated the suit in those few production shots that made the Orange look kind of golden/coppery but once the Preview and the better picture with the Gaim, Ornac, Zangetsu, Baron, and Ryugen hit I was onboard. Of course the show turned out a lot less carefree than the original pitch of "Street Dancers use Pokemon to fight THE MAN" but I feel that's been for the better.

Most of the show is just so static in terms of character development

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

If there's like two people in the entire show I cab understand not a lot of character development, but there's like what, 10-12 riders? What the hell

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Twistys Rapture posted:

If there's like two people in the entire show I cab understand not a lot of character development, but there's like what, 10-12 riders? What the hell
I would think the opposite is true. Fewer characters = more time to develop them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only bad thing about Gaim is his sword isn't called the Orange Slicer.

Oh and also all the non-canon crossover things.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only bad thing about Gaim is his sword isn't called the Orange Slicer.

Oh and also all the non-canon crossover things.

most of the suits aren't all that great, and they lost the karate bugmen motif entirely.
also, Twisty's right about the lack of development regarding the cast with the exception of Micchy. I absolutely love the show, but it's been severely lacking on that part.

also the Kikaider crossover was amazing so you take that back.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It was as much a pro-Twisty thing as it was anti-Rei_. Mostly someone who posts good opinions on karate bugmen versus someone who can't stop bitching in an MMO thread.

As for Gaim, it's really weird watching the Gaim x Wizard movie and seeing Zangetsu totally not giving two shits when there's multiple instances of him seeing Micchy out of suit and transforming. He even gives him the Joker Gaiamemory for no real reason! Was Micchy not always supposed to be Takatora's brother or something?

Also, seeing poor, forgotten Hase alive again was good. Besides Micchy, he'd gotten a little bit of character development before he got offed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

everythingWasBees posted:

most of the suits aren't all that great, and they lost the karate bugmen motif entirely.

You could say that about almost all Heisei Riders though, which I mean some people do but I guess it doesn't bother me since I honestly haven't seen very much Showa (just V3 which is great, and a small bit of Black).

I like the designs of the suits and think they're great but do admit there is a problem in having those floppy pieces of armor on them, it looks really bad when they're moving around a lot (Pineapple is the biggest offender but it's rarely used, base Orange form is bad about it too though). It does bother me but I try to put it out of my mind and just enjoy the show, if I think about that stuff too much it's just going to make almost all shows like that unenjoyable. I mean in the recent crossover I couldn't help but notice how wrinkly Hakaider's suit was but again, gotta suspend the disbelief and just accept he's totally a metal robot guy.

The Kikaider crossover was alright but I wouldn't call it amazing personally. To me it was just kind of there. Jiro is cool and I liked Ryouma putting his brain in a robot body but I would rather have seen a continuation of the ongoing plot than "Stop everything so we can promote our new movie." It was definitely better done than the Gavan stuff in Go-Busters though.

Speaking of crossovers I did finally get around to watching the Gaim/Wizard movie which is another instance of "It was okay I guess." Watching it reminded me that Wizard actually has a fairly unique fighting style that I think is pretty cool and wish it had been used in a better series. I still think I prefer Den-O and Double's method of having the movie stuff be canon with the show, rather than the AU stuff most other Rider movies are. Though having the movie stuff be AU is nice for those of us who don't live in Japan and have to wait for DVDs, which is nice I admit, it still bothers me to a degree.

EDIT:

quote:

As for Gaim, it's really weird watching the Gaim x Wizard movie and seeing Zangetsu totally not giving two shits when there's multiple instances of him seeing Micchy out of suit and transforming.

Yeah I noticed that too, and a crack also opened in front of an audience of people, and in the series Yggdrasil went to great lengths to prevent anyone from seeing a crack. I just chalk it up to "It's AU."

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 22, 2014

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

Not very far, actually. I just did episode 13, where there are a microscope and a microbiology reference book out of nowhere in a bike garage, and he develops a new technique by saving a puppy. Last episode he got the new bike, Lord Sector or Roadsector depending on how the translator deals with 'roudusekutoru'.
This, by the way, is the best part of Black and toku in general. There was no reason for that puppy to be there, but Black saves the poo poo out of it and blows up rocks with his new punch, it's the best. I show it to everyone.

Also, I'm up to episode 28 in Kuuga now, and man am I loving it. It uses the two episode structure, which surprised me, but I find that it uses it really effectively to break up the episodes so that they end up being more like hour long dramas than just the usual "Oh no they got away at the last second, guess we'll stretch this out for another episode" that really made it drag during some of Fourze and most of Wizard. Yusuke himself is really cool, and they did a good job with introducing his power-ups through the translations rather than just popping out new toys entirely at random. I also really love how much screentime the side characters get where they're actually interesting and useful. The creepy doctor, Tsubaki, quickly became and remains one of my favorites. I will say though that it is very strange, almost disturbing, watching how many civilians get murdered each episode compared to the one, maybe two deaths a season you get nowadays. In the most recent episode I saw, the new enemy kind of tentacle-stabs people in the pool, and they just look shocked for a moment then go belly-up, straight up dead, and then they just float until someone notices and the screaming starts. It's pretty shocking!

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Potsticker posted:

It was as much a pro-Twisty thing as it was anti-Rei_. Mostly someone who posts good opinions on karate bugmen versus someone who can't stop bitching in an MMO thread.

As for Gaim, it's really weird watching the Gaim x Wizard movie and seeing Zangetsu totally not giving two shits when there's multiple instances of him seeing Micchy out of suit and transforming. He even gives him the Joker Gaiamemory for no real reason! Was Micchy not always supposed to be Takatora's brother or something?

Also, seeing poor, forgotten Hase alive again was good. Besides Micchy, he'd gotten a little bit of character development before he got offed.

Seriously, having Hase go loopy from losing his belt was cool

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
The Special Mission on Go-Busters volume 7 is the the main three Busters getting dance lessons from instructor Hiroya "Jin" Matsumoto.

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home

FortMax posted:

The Special Mission on Go-Busters volume 7 is the the main three Busters getting dance lessons from instructor Hiroya "Jin" Matsumoto.

I never knew I wanted a Go-Busters dvd so badly until now.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
"In volume 6's Special Mission, the Go-Busters practice the ending theme dance."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So I guess the next Kamen Rider is "Drive?"

e:So will he have a DriveDriver?

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
So I'm guessing a car theme or something?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mikeycp posted:

At least we know there won't be any alien shenanigans, he'll be a real human being. And a real hero.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

mikeycp posted:

It'll be a Race Driver.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Hey, maybe he's hammer themed. Or really really determined.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cars and Trains!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Cars and Trains!

Next Precure confirmed to be Boat themed.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It worked for Felipe Smith's Ghost Rider so why not?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You have something against planes?

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Duet posted:

I never knew I wanted a Go-Busters dvd so badly until now.

Good thing I've been making raws, then!

https://mega.co.nz/#F!H5ARhZyS!HTa5oJGBbhYI8z-dIu96eA

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twistys Rapture posted:

It was good until Hana became young for no reason (actress left, I know) and the ending was soooo bad. But the characters were fun

I gotcha, we just have different rider tastes is all. Cool man, I know where we stand now. Maybe there's a rider we can both agree on, good or bad?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I gotcha, we just have different rider tastes is all. Cool man, I know where we stand now. Maybe there's a rider we can both agree on, good or bad?
That easy, even for a person that has seen like half a season of Kamen Rider ever.
Masked Rider: Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Everything post-Decade was good to me

• Locked thread