Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I was going to get a Jean Loring av but I just thought of something even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Rhyno posted:

Which is kind of a shame because it was such a good issue. I kind of want Waid to take a turn on Nova now.

He'd be so good on Nova. The book's practically made for him. I wasn't too keen on the last arc because I think the book works best with the whole teenage secret identity thing. Waid nails that sort of thing in his sleep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shameless posted:

He'd be so good on Nova. The book's practically made for him. I wasn't too keen on the last arc because I think the book works best with the whole teenage secret identity thing. Waid nails that sort of thing in his sleep.

I really feel like it'd be the best character match for him since his Wally West days.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've seen a few preview panels where some people are holding one of Uatu's eyes. I'm guessing his eye stores some of his knowledge or possesses powers of clairvoyance. That's a very magical trope. I had thought Uatu was more of an ultra-science character who monitored Earth with advanced instruments. Where do his omniscient powers really come from?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Baron Bifford posted:

I've seen a few preview panels where some people are holding one of Uatu's eyes. I'm guessing his eye stores some of his knowledge or possesses powers of clairvoyance. That's a very magical trope. I had thought Uatu was more of an ultra-science character who monitored Earth with advanced instruments. Where do his omniscient powers really come from?

He's a Watcher.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Shameless posted:

Planning on telling him this tomorrow. So hyped about meeting Mark Waid, I'll probably annoy the piss out of him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Die Laughing posted:

Planning on telling him this tomorrow. So hyped about meeting Mark Waid, I'll probably annoy the piss out of him.

You should tell him that you are a huge fan of current DC and ask when he will be coming returning to them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My friend wants him to sign his copy of Futures End #0. I was going to be slightly more subtle and ask if he considered his Daredevil to be the "Marvel Nowest" Marvel Now book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

My friend wants him to sign his copy of Futures End #0. I was going to be slightly more subtle and ask if he considered his Daredevil to be the "Marvel Nowest" Marvel Now book.

He is a big fan of Superman so get him to sign Grounded!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So who the gently caress are these people introduced and why should I care because Original Sin #2 was kinda lovely.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So who the gently caress are these people introduced and why should I care because Original Sin #2 was kinda lovely.

Which guy? The guy at the end is a character that has been in a bunch of Jason Aaron work. The issue was not that bad and seemed to be a lot of set up.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

Which guy? The guy at the end is a character that has been in a bunch of Jason Aaron work. The issue was not that bad and seemed to be a lot of set up.

Yeah, Orb is apparently just as it was described in the issue: A z-list villain that really hasen't done anything. As for the weird Thing clone, it's probably a huge part of the story that'll get explained next issue.

Hell, next issue's subtitle is: Answers at any cost. I imagine that'll give us some answers.

I think the implication of the eye being a bomb is that it knows everyone's secrets/sins and that if it gets unleashed everything will go to hell as nobody could trust anybody again.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, Orb is apparently just as it was described in the issue: A z-list villain that really hasen't done anything.

From what people have been saying Aaron has been slowly building him up over years in a couple different books he's done.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat it people read Marvel Boy <:mad:>

The Thing looking guy is Doctor Midas a dude introduced in Marvel Boy that rocked a gold Iron Man suit and trenchcoat before effectively becoming the Fantastic Four rolled into 1. The girl is Oubliette/Exterminatrix ,his daughter and Marvel Boy's ex girlfriend. (Can you tell they are Morrison creations)

Orb is a joke character with a big eye for a head. He's appeared throughout Aaron stuff slowly working his way up the superhero ladder. From the issue Midas is dying so hires The Orb to kill The Watcher to try and find a cure (i'm presuming this part).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Seems unlikely any of those guys actually killed the Watcher since the event was sold as a mystery and they've already been confronted by the heroes in the second issue.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah I'm presuming there's something else there (Fury is behind it or crazy secrets) but that's what this issue is putting forward.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
We also have the question of where the second eye is (or was only one taken?)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OldTennisCourt posted:

We also have the question of where the second eye is (or was only one taken?)

Both were taken. So someone kills and takes an eye, these guy grab the second, and a third party raids the armory?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Both were taken. So someone kills and takes an eye, these guy grab the second, and a third party raids the armory?

Well one of the Mindless Ones had a Nllifer which Tony said was in Watcher's armory, did Orb's group steal a bunch of the stuff themselves?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I really liked Issue 2 as well. It is just a good mixture of fun and silly with world threatening problems. I also like the image of a man with a giant eye for his head holding a giant eye.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They all showed up after the Watcher's murder, it seems. They were raiding his stuff, which is how a Mindless One ended up with the Nullifier. Orb seemed obsessed with the eye and cut it out.

I think that the murderer took the other eye, or there was someone else after Midas and crew who took it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think the implication of the eye being a bomb is that it knows everyone's secrets/sins and that if it gets unleashed everything will go to hell as nobody could trust anybody again.

In the Secret Avengers Infinite Comic tie-in they basically spoil that beat; the whole idea is that the Watcher's Eye goes boom and a bunch of the information it's "seen" gets transmitted to random people in the vicinity.

In the comic in question a random dude learns about a guy that Nick Fury Jr. was supposed to kill but didn't, for instance.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Waterhaul posted:

God drat it people read Marvel Boy <:mad:>

The Thing looking guy is Doctor Midas a dude introduced in Marvel Boy that rocked a gold Iron Man suit and trenchcoat before effectively becoming the Fantastic Four rolled into 1. The girl is Oubliette/Exterminatrix ,his daughter and Marvel Boy's ex girlfriend. (Can you tell they are Morrison creations)

Orb is a joke character with a big eye for a head. He's appeared throughout Aaron stuff slowly working his way up the superhero ladder. From the issue Midas is dying so hires The Orb to kill The Watcher to try and find a cure (i'm presuming this part).

Oubliette also showed up in Young Avengers, which you're a bad person if you didn't read.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

With all the parallels between Original Sin and Identity Crisis, it's pretty great that the second issue ends with a one-eyed supervillain facing down a group of heroes while protecting the prime suspect.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

With all the parallels between Original Sin and Identity Crisis, it's pretty great that the second issue ends with a one-eyed supervillain facing down a group of heroes while protecting the prime suspect.

So he's going to beat them all up? Which character will ignore their power or weapon that could instantly beat him and instead opt for punching him? Will Quicksilver run into a sword?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

So he's going to beat them all up?

I would mark out.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

So The Orb is the Dr. Light of this event, then?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Genetic Toaster posted:

That has so many gross implications I hope it doesn't go that route and the result from the eye-splosion ties directly to Avengers #29 should it not?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jiro posted:

That has so many gross implications I hope it doesn't go that route and the result from the eye-splosion ties directly to Avengers #29 should it not?

It should but that would throw a wrench on the shown storylines of avengers/NA so I would honestly not think of it all.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Genetic Toaster posted:

Minus the pesky raping hobby.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Genetic Toaster posted:

No, like Gavok said he's the Deathstroke.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It should but that would throw a wrench on the shown storylines of avengers/NA so I would honestly not think of it all.

I mean, if the eye exploding is what gives Cap back his memories of the mind wipe, I can't see it throwing a wrench into it, especially since the comic wants to make it clear it happens AFTER OS 2.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OldTennisCourt posted:

I mean, if the eye exploding is what gives Cap back his memories of the mind wipe, I can't see it throwing a wrench into it, especially since the comic wants to make it clear it happens AFTER OS 2.

It would put Original Sin #2 before Avengers #25 as Banner and Stark are seen in Avengers Tower helping with the search while after the adaptoid/other avengers storyline "Banner" is in SHIELD custody while the real Banner hides with the Illuminati.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So reading yesterday's issue confirmed a lot of the speculation I had posted on page 6.

In particular it has all but confirmed that the person who killed the Watcher did not steal BOTH his eyes. And if that's true, then it stands to reason that the person who stole the first eye may not have shot the Watcher. (Which I still believe was done by a different individual on the basis, why would you shoot someone in the head if you wanted to take one of his eyes.)

Still think it was Batman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Another thing is that I think there's more than one investigation here. Much like how we're led to believe that there was only one party murdering and pillaging when they're probably not, we're also led to believe that every team-up is put together by Nick Fury. But has that even been confirmed?

Outside of the main Cap/Iron Man group, scenes with the other teams have gone out of their way not to mention Nick Fury. Notable instances include Black Panther's conversation with who we're supposed to think is Nick and Dr. Strange interrupting himself when he's about to identify their benefactor.

If that's what's going on, then that leads to even more questions. Who is it? Why is there a separate couple of investigations? Who is someone who'd be able to rope in both Dr. Strange and the Punisher if it's not Nick Fury?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Gavok posted:

Another thing is that I think there's more than one investigation here. Much like how we're led to believe that there was only one party murdering and pillaging when they're probably not, we're also led to believe that every team-up is put together by Nick Fury. But has that even been confirmed?

Outside of the main Cap/Iron Man group, scenes with the other teams have gone out of their way not to mention Nick Fury. Notable instances include Black Panther's conversation with who we're supposed to think is Nick and Dr. Strange interrupting himself when he's about to identify their benefactor.

If that's what's going on, then that leads to even more questions. Who is it? Why is there a separate couple of investigations? Who is someone who'd be able to rope in both Dr. Strange and the Punisher if it's not Nick Fury?

It's explicitly not Nick Fury who sent out Strange, Punisher, Panther, Emma and Lang according to the Original Sin#2 recap page.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

Also, if you re-look at issue 1, the person who is talking to Black Panther already has one of the glowing green bullets that the Punisher was pulling out of the monsters and that Black Widow pulled shards out of Utah.
That investigator could well be the real murderer (sending the others on a goose chase) or someone who knows far more about the murders then he's told his team. In which case, what is his game? (Spoiler: It's totally Batman.)

The only other people I could think who could organize such a group are Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, General Ross or as an outside, Charles Xaiver.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

Also, Nick Fury is asking for Strange when they capture the mindless one, when Strange is off in some other dimension, although that could just be Fury playing his cats close to his chest.

My theory is that since the loving Orb is a major player in this, the shadowy organizer of these other teams is Dirk Anger.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DynamicSloth posted:

It's explicitly not Nick Fury who sent out Strange, Punisher, Panther, Emma and Lang according to the Original Sin#2 recap page.

Huh. So it is. I never read those pages because I know who superheroes are. I guess the joke's on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wait, I just remembered, doesn't Dirk Anger have a comically oversized gun that would use bullets of whatever caliber those giant green slugs are?

In more serious matters, strictly speaking they didn't recover a bullet from the Watcher's body, just some fragments.

• Locked thread