Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Sooo glad my wife picked MP Grimlock up for me in the first round. I hate having to practically camp stores to get certain things.

Also, just adding to the popular opinion I suppose but the dinobots I've gotten so far are indeed great. I also ended up with Leader Grimlock. I just don't dig the robot mode of the voyager as much and I think the t-rex mode of both of them has flaws.

Evasion mode Optimus is pretty cool but the elbows bug me some. They have a joint but at the same time there's a molded in elbow. It's kinda weird. A blast to transform though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap. Need me one of those.

EDIT: MP Grimlock, that is.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Holy crap. Need me one of those.

EDIT: MP Grimlock, that is.

I hope it appears on the website, TRU is the worst store to visit. I want one too.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Even if it shows up on the website, your order will just get cancelled the next day :(

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I called all of my lcal TRUs and none of them had one yet. Either that or they had no idea what I was asking for. I'll try again tomorrow since they all seem to be getting shipments in.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

strangehamster posted:

I hope it appears on the website, TRU is the worst store to visit. I want one too.

Well, the one that's sort of near me was all right when I got my MP Soundwave, the last one in the store (unless they say that for everything in the back room. Who cares, I got a MP Soundwave!) I had to ask for it at the service desk and they weren't snooty to me or anything about it. Maybe cause I only wanted the one?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm glad I got a Grimlock on the first go around. I really hope some others like Optimus and Soundwave can hit TRU again so more people can enjoy those toys without having to shell out crazy money.

I've had some more casual fans see my MP-10 and go "Hey that's really cool, where can I get one?!" and it saddens me a bit that paying $300 on eBay is the only way now.

Amazingly I've managed to find all the MP figures at TRU except for Soundwave, but that's because I pretty much hound TRU when they come out. MP-10 was there for a span of a week and was never seen again.

Now TRU has a bunch of YOTH Primes, Supreme Starscreams, Acid Storms, and Platinum Ultra Magnuses that nobody wants and are clogging up shelves. Some of those like Acid Storm or YOTH Prime should have really been SDCC or online retailer exclusives rather than something showing up at a brick and mortar store.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
YOTH Prime is pretty sweet, though. I'm not even rationalizing the color scheme.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe I'm crazy, but I genuinely do not understand Hasbro's distribution model for MPs. They'll do one limited run of a toy they know they won't match demand for, and then...?

It's not like the massive prices these toys build up from scalpers helps them in any way. I know they've done other runs of MP-10, but you'd think that if a figure like that or Soundwave is still selling out they'd keep trying to get them into consumer's hands.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

YOTH Prime is pretty sweet, though. I'm not even rationalizing the color scheme.

I don't dislike it or anything, I just don't really want one on top of my regular MP-10. I feel like it's kind of a niche thing. Like... more niche than Nemesis Prime.

ForeverSmug posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I genuinely do not understand Hasbro's distribution model for MPs. They'll do one limited run of a toy they know they won't match demand for, and then...?

It's not like the massive prices these toys build up from scalpers helps them in any way. I know they've done other runs of MP-10, but you'd think that if a figure like that or Soundwave is still selling out they'd keep trying to get them into consumer's hands.

Yeah, it's odd. Popular characters like Optimus Prime, Grimlock, Soundwave and even Rodimus are going to be in high demand. Then there's Thundercracker and Acid Storm who aren't as well known.

Hell, Acid Storm is barely even a character. I gladly bought a $10 deluxe Acid Storm, but when we're talking about a $75 Masterpiece who takes up a lot of real estate on the shelf... there's only going to be a small group of people into it. I told everyone that Acid Storm was not going to sell, and well... I was right. There's definitely some guys out there who really want a MP Acid Storm, but giving it a full retail release it kind of baffling. They would probably sell more units if they had released the new mold in Starscream colors, as you have people who never got the earlier Wal-mart Starscream on top of folks who want to upgrade to the newer mold.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I would certainly have bought a US Starscream in the MP-11 mold, mainly because I could never bring myself to spend $200 on a third MP of the character. I would absolutely bite at $75, though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

I would certainly have bought a US Starscream in the MP-11 mold, mainly because I could never bring myself to spend $200 on a third MP of the character. I would absolutely bite at $75, though.

Yeah. I'd love to have the MP-11 Starscream, but I don't want one so bad that I'd pay $200 for it. For $100 I'd bite. May not even need the coronation gear. But for two bills? Yeesh. Until you can get one for a more reasonable price, I'm going to have to live with the Wal-Mart Screamer. I'm aware that this may very well be forever.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Urgh, some day I think I'll own an MP Grimlock. I just don't wanna pay 300 bucks for him. I curse living on the butthole of the world.

Maketoys released some hot new pics of their current projects, and Quantron is looking mighty awesome. It almost makes me give a poo poo about the Technobots!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blackheart posted:

Urgh, some day I think I'll own an MP Grimlock. I just don't wanna pay 300 bucks for him. I curse living on the butthole of the world.

Maketoys released some hot new pics of their current projects, and Quantron is looking mighty awesome. It almost makes me give a poo poo about the Technobots!

You're in the UK like me, right? TRU UK has been getting really good about getting MP/special stuff in over the last year. I bought my MP-10 over here, and I saw YotH OP in Brent Cross TRU before I saw him in the US. Have faith. :)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Maketoys Computron, Metroplex and the Mastermind Predaking are all things that make me wish I was rich so I could afford them.

I spend way too much money on stupid toys and I need to cut down a lot, too. I really want to get either the Botcon Scorponok or Perfect Effect one because I want one Scorponok for my classics collection, but we're going to have to wait and see how expensive they're going to be.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Uh, Soundblaster? Who even is that. Is that a Japanese-only thing? :v: is that, Soundwave and Blaster's loveprotoform?

This coming from the guy who loves the Year of the Horse MP-10 color scheme.

You joke, but in the Japanese Headmasters cartoon Soundwave and Blaster have a big fight and blow each other up. They get rebuilt as Soundblaster (Soundwave but black) and Twincast (Blaster but blue) in the very next episode. It was entirely so they could just recolour the old molds and sell them as new stuff again with the only tweak being "they can hold 2 cassettes" afaik.

Holy poo poo though MP Grimlock is £99 on TRU UK website. He was £69 last time round. I was going to grudgingly get one for the crown and to hang out with Scoria, but at that price I might as well just get the FT one when it comes out.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

You're in the UK like me, right?

Hahaha nope, South America. What's a toy's r us? What's that "generations" toyline everyone keeps mentioning? Deluxes for 30 dollars and voyagers for 50? Yep, that's us!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maketoys Computron, Metroplex and the Mastermind Predaking are all things that make me wish I was rich so I could afford them.

I spend way too much money on stupid toys and I need to cut down a lot, too. I really want to get either the Botcon Scorponok or Perfect Effect one because I want one Scorponok for my classics collection, but we're going to have to wait and see how expensive they're going to be.

I didn't hop into any of the Predakings because it's just too much darn money, same with Warbotron (he looks sweet though). I love my Maketoys Green Giant and Chaos Paladin a whole lot, which is part of why Quantron looks so appealing and well made to me.

I've already got Microblaze's Onslaught preordered (with Platinum compatible extra parts!), so that's enough third party spending for a while.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I told everyone that Acid Storm was not going to sell, and well... I was right
They would probably sell more units if they had released the new mold in Starscream colors, as you have people who never got the earlier Wal-mart Starscream on top of folks who want to upgrade to the newer mold.

Acid Storm shelf-warming was pretty much a given. And Starscream 2.0 would have flown off the shelves. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that decision straight from the Hasbro employee(s) behind it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Clearly you should save your money all year then buy a big box of robots and ship it out from TFCon.

totally related but strangehamster is a hell of a guy and he's not going to Canada this year :(

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Yeahhhhhh doesn't look like I'm getting MP Grimlock.

Apparently there's some drama over on TFW where a guy was buying like 6(!) at a time. They're already showing up on eBay for like $150+.

What's weird is that they didn't even list him on the website; that was how I got Soundwave.

These are acceptable lengths to go though to purchase a retail product from a major corporation in the YOOL 2014.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ForeverSmug posted:

Apparently there's some drama over on TFW where a guy was buying like 6(!) at a time.

The OP of the sighting thread even. Just straight up posts a picture of a cart full of them. All "lol there were some in Arkansas anyway" and "you don't know that I'm not picking these up for my friends"

You just know the kid in the cart in the picture is all "dady can I blay wid dese"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The gently caress? Didn't they start limiting those to 2 per customer with Soundwave?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Spiderdrake posted:

totally related but strangehamster is a hell of a guy and he's not going to Canada this year :(

TFCon Chicago may not catch on or be successful enough so maybe next year?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

404GoonNotFound posted:

The gently caress? Didn't they start limiting those to 2 per customer with Soundwave?

There's ways to get around that.

it only really works for online orders, but instore they're not that tight.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

There's ways to get around that.

it only really works for online orders, but instore they're not that tight.

They were very tight about it in-store for Soundwave, at least around here. They sold quickly because lots of people wanted them, but I saw them refuse to sell more than two to two different people in one visit.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Phy posted:

The OP of the sighting thread even. Just straight up posts a picture of a cart full of them. All "lol there were some in Arkansas anyway" and "you don't know that I'm not picking these up for my friends"

You just know the kid in the cart in the picture is all "dady can I blay wid dese"

Yeah, he cleared out 10 total from both TRUs near here when they opened, then made a sales thread trying to sell them for $300 each. I live in the same town. I've met the guy. This kind of crap is actually mild for him.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yeah, he cleared out 10 total from both TRUs near here when they opened, then made a sales thread trying to sell them for $300 each. I live in the same town. I've met the guy. This kind of crap is actually mild for him.

What was your impression of him? I ask just cause I'm sort if fascinated by people like him--like, not only does he scalp, but he post pictures of it on a forum where he must know everyone will call him an rear end in a top hat, or does he not realize that and he is just weirdly oblivious?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Scalp him.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yeah, he cleared out 10 total from both TRUs

Are your TRU employees too poor to hoard them? I saw someone posted his address to... negotiate a sale?

Maybe I can find my own if I search at lunch. The local store sightings thread for Iowa is terrible, people bitching that they aren't looking for toys because they're sooooo inferior.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
So I saw this earlier today and was trying to think of who this blue/gold helicopter could be.

Another Whirl maybe? Are you confused as well? The answer is:

...sure,why not!?

In other "redecos I never expected ever see" news:

Takara/Tomy exclusive though.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Data point 1: He opened up a comic shop named "Autobot City Comics. (hence his username)" It was closed during posted business hours fairly often and the one time I went inside while it was open, the dude's dad who knew nothing about any of the nerdy stuff in there was there alone and bitching about his lazy rear end son who couldn't even be bothered to work his own business. Didn't buy anything because everything, even regular day of release comics were marked up. I think there was maybe $300 retail value of total product in there, including the few dozen comics. The place quickly went out of business.

Data point 2: he started a local "comic con." Either meaning of con you want to pick is applicable. Dealer tables $80 each, admission $5. No panels or anything, just a dealers room. This is compounded by the treatment you apparently got if you were selling the same things he was (mostly stuff like recent MPs & exclusives), you got shunted into another room on a different floor that none of the attendees are actually told about. I know a guy that got 3 tables and had less than 10 people walk in; sold 1 thing over 2 days.

As for the grimlocks: He reported everyone that called him a scalper, rear end in a top hat, etc, actually. Apparently negative comments and attacks aren't allowed. The way one of the admins handled it was kind of beautiful, though. Guy had made a new sales thread for the grimlocks when he already had an active one. You're only allowed one, but requested that the old one be closed. So, they responded "closed per request," closed it, and then told him his new thread wasn't allowed anymore because his old thread got bumped. And then told him off for being a jackass and trying to hide behind the rules, and closed his new thread. +5 points to TFW.

Also someone pointed out to me that it was 20. He had 10 left for sale when I saw the 10.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Honestly I would probably pay someone about $100 shipped just to have that Grimlock and be done.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Just when I think the AoE line has shown me the ugliest thing it has to offer, Unpainted Grey Plastic Knight Optimus Prime shows up.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Oh dear, the people on 4chan's /toy/ aren't taking this "Autobot City Comics" situation very well.

Edit: Just as I posted this, I look back to see somebody has posted the guy's personal info...oh dear...

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Keldroc posted:

Just when I think the AoE line has shown me the ugliest thing it has to offer, Unpainted Grey Plastic Knight Optimus Prime shows up.

That is the ugliest redeco of the ugliest mold put in the most expensive box.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Lepecard posted:

Oh dear, the people on 4chan's /toy/ aren't taking this "Autobot City Comics" situation very well.

Edit: Just as I posted this, I look back to see somebody has posted the guy's personal info...oh dear...

"I think the problems on this planet will be solved very shortly." - Kup

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Sure wish I could ever find a Masterpiece that wasn't Acid Storm at retail

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Lepecard posted:

All they did was type in "autobot city comics" into google. He tried to get me to buy dealer space at that con, so I actually have his name, address, and phone number. I can confirm that atleast one of the ones posted over there is incorrect.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Well at least he didn't remove the grimlocks from someone else's cart like every other scalper I've seen.

They will also follow people around the store looking to snatch it away. They've got a sense of entitlement like you wouldn't believe.

it's pretty funny when they try to swipe poo poo from each other, no honor among scalpers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
It's amazing how in this day and age of cameras in smartphones there aren't any scalper sightings recorded. Well very few on youtube.