Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Unbreakable is legitimately great IMHO, and Sixth Sense is legitimately Very Good, but yeah I can't really vouch for the rest, it just seems like a guy who shot his whole wad of mojo on two films, pretty much. Maybe, as has been posted, he just sucks as a writer and lucked into a couple of good stories, but I don't know.

He still comes out positive on the scale of artistic karma in my view due to two works that I am really fond of despite the mountain of dreck that came after. Just like I can pretend that Frank Herbert never wrote anything after the original Dune novel, and that George Lucas ceased having any involvement with Star Wars films after Empire Strikes Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Netflix just added a documentary called Are All Men Pedophiles? and I can't see any way this could go poorly.

Is that so????

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Erebus posted:

Netflix just added a documentary called Are All Men Pedophiles? and I can't see any way this could go poorly.

Is that so????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines strikes again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Erebus posted:

Is that so????

"This documentary explores male sexual desire and aims to make a scientific distinction between true pedophilia and attraction to young women."

I assume it's Reddit-style ephebophilia apologia propaganda.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
gently caress me I am never sleeping again. Amazon Prime just added a ton of HBO series.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Had my hopes up for the HBO stuff but I dunno, beyond the big stuff like Sopranos it's pretty slim pickings. Was hoping to see stuff like From The Earth To The Moon or their awesome documentaries like The Last Truck. All the stuff I see is pretty meh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was hoping for some of their shows that died in the crib, like John from Cincinnati or that one about married couples with Penny from Lost.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 22, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Rome is "meh"? You insult the honor of the Thirteenth?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

precision posted:

"This documentary explores male sexual desire and aims to make a scientific distinction between true pedophilia and attraction to young women."

I assume it's Reddit-style ephebophilia apologia propaganda.

Eh, somewhat. It does delve a little into that whole :biotruths: can of worms but that description seems misleading, as the bulk of the documentary isn't about that. What I took away from it, and mind you it has been a while since I saw it, is just that maybe our views on pedophiles aren't really conducive to actually stopping abuse.

I believe it uses this clip as a springboard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc--FjGgAig

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Eh, somewhat. It does delve a little into that whole :biotruths: can of worms but that description seems misleading, as the bulk of the documentary isn't about that. What I took away from it, and mind you it has been a while since I saw it, is just that maybe our views on pedophiles aren't really conducive to actually stopping abuse.

I believe it uses this clip as a springboard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc--FjGgAig

Wiki makes the whole thing sound pretty sleazy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_All_Men_Pedophiles%3F

quote:

There has also been a claim[4] put forward about the model for the movie's poster was deceived when it came to the use of her shoot to promote a film about pedophilia. According to the claim she was told the photograph was to be used in relation to Japanese fashion. Breure, however, has rejected this accusation saying that the 14-year old Dutch female was shown the title of the film which was written on the release form for the photographs.[4]

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Wiki makes the whole thing sound pretty sleazy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_All_Men_Pedophiles%3F

Haha jesus. I'm not defending the guy, especially after that film poster story and that tagline, holy poo poo, but besides some eye-rolling moments, most of it wasn't that bad, just simplistic and without real solutions. So par for the course with social issue docs these days.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Haha jesus. I'm not defending the guy, especially after that film poster story and that tagline, holy poo poo, but besides some eye-rolling moments, most of it wasn't that bad, just simplistic and without real solutions. So par for the course with social issue docs these days.

Hey the film's endorsed by the international society for sexuality and cancer! My two favourite things combined.

Anyway, finally got around to watching Mud. Highly recommended, it's got this whole Stand By Me/Huck Finn combo going. Saw Bernie too, it's pretty simplistic and kinda boring in spots, but decent enough.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Late to the Shyamalan train, but I saw The Happening in the theaters with my sister, my favorite movie going companion, and all I can remember about that film was the two of us having an absolute blast watching it. Neither of us are the type to really enjoy movies ironically, but it's a dumb, stupid, silly, stupid movie, an absolute muddle, but it's just so goddamned enjoyable in its ineptitude. If you ever get an inkling to watch it, just go in with the right frame of mind and you'll probably enjoy it. I like Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Daschenel, most people probably do, but it's pretty clear after seeing The Happening that they sure don't like each other very much. And Wahlberg as a science teacher is... it's something, man.

The Lady in the Water made me want to punch a hole in the loving world, though. I liked the guys first three movies a lot, but boy did he piss his career down his leg.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:eng101: "Zooey, do you think you could just stare vacantly into space for 2 hours."

:j: "CAN I EVER!"

(e: I like Zooey Deschanel, mind you, but seriously)

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Big Bad Wolves was added to Instant, haven't seen it but I've heard a lot of good things and Quentin Tarantino called it the best film of the year so there's that.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I'm rather puzzled by the positive reaction to pain and gain here, I just watched it, and I'm not generally a Michael Bay hater, but it sucked. I've liked almost everything he's done that isn't transformers, but this movie's sense of humour was one step above Adam Sandler films. HURRR FAT PEOPLE, HURRR GAY PEOPLE, HURRR POOP, HURRR TORTURE, it's excruciating. I find black comedies require a kind of deft touch, but this is a soulless, ugly film. The best violent/black comedies have a humanity to them or a tragedy that grounds them, but there's no humanity here. And man all those dutch angles and 360 shots, talk about a stylistic crutch.

I mean yeah fine, if people like the fact that it's an irredeemably amoral film that's fine, but I just find the whole thing tactless and distasteful.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

cat doter posted:

I'm rather puzzled by the positive reaction to pain and gain here, I just watched it, and I'm not generally a Michael Bay hater, but it sucked. I've liked almost everything he's done that isn't transformers, but this movie's sense of humour was one step above Adam Sandler films. HURRR FAT PEOPLE, HURRR GAY PEOPLE, HURRR POOP, HURRR TORTURE, it's excruciating. I find black comedies require a kind of deft touch, but this is a soulless, ugly film.

I just finished watching Pain & Gain last night and I really had to think about what you were talking about. Fat/gay/poop jokes? There are a few instances of those but they're basically one-off scenes which I had basically forgotten about by the end. The prime humor in the movie was seeing the three guys deal with their plots wildly spinning out of control, and just winging it in absurd situations because it worked...until it didn't and it blew up in their faces. The humor was in the their absolute incompetence contrasting with their lovely narcissism and hubris.

It's not the world's deepest film, it's just a good dark action-comedy where you should just turn your brain off and go with it.

EDIT:
Really, the "This is still a true story" caption had perfect timing.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 22, 2014

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

But that was put up during the least true part of the story.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Freddy posted:

gently caress me I am never sleeping again. Amazon Prime just added a ton of HBO series.

I feel like such an idiot buying The Sopranos like a week before the announcement was made. :argh:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Big Bad Wolves was added to Instant, haven't seen it but I've heard a lot of good things and Quentin Tarantino called it the best film of the year so there's that.

I liked this movie. It's pretty strong stuff content-wise but also pretty funny, has kind of a Martin McDonagh vibe.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

theflyingexecutive posted:

But that was put up during the least true part of the story.

Was that the least true part? From the wiki article they did actually grill the hands and other parts out in front of the warehouse to destroy fingerprints and dental evidence. It was just Lugo that did it, not the Rock's character. Either way like I said it was more about the timing, whether it was actually true or not doesn't matter. I'm comfortable with "True Story" films lying to me for entertainment as long as they're not presented as a straight documentary. Sort of like cinematic poo poo-that-didn't-happen.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

LogisticEarth posted:

I just finished watching Pain & Gain last night and I really had to think about what you were talking about. Fat/gay/poop jokes? There are a few instances of those but they're basically one-off scenes which I had basically forgotten about by the end. The prime humor in the movie was seeing the three guys deal with their plots wildly spinning out of control, and just winging it in absurd situations because it worked...until it didn't and it blew up in their faces. The humor was in the their absolute incompetence contrasting with their lovely narcissism and hubris.

It's not the world's deepest film, it's just a good dark action-comedy where you should just turn your brain off and go with it.

EDIT:
Really, the "This is still a true story" caption had perfect timing.

At one point, Lugo says to Paul, "I've watched a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing"; this movie is meant to stylistically ape the 'movies' he's talking about, right down to their sense of humor. The payoff comes in the wrap-up text, where you are harshly reminded that these are real people, and the conspirator who had the least to do with it (the Rob Corddry character) actually died. That's the tragedy that grounds it.

And yeah, I barely remember the scarce fat/gay/poop jokes, as most of the humor came from the main characters' own idiocy. The Rebel Wilson jokes are just meant to poke fun at Anthony Mackie's insecurity about his dick.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 22, 2014

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

There were quite a few gay slurs and such, but if you ever known anyone from the "macho, weightlifting, overcompensating" type of group, then this is pretty normal (I'm not putting down all weightlifters. I lift too.) Plus it was 90's. Everyone said homosexual slurs all of the time in pop culture.

I enjoyed the movie, and it does seem like Bay has grown up a little bit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hewlett posted:

At one point, Lugo says to Paul, "I've watched a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing"; this movie is meant to stylistically ape the 'movies' he's talking about, right down to their sense of humor. The payoff comes in the wrap-up text, where you are harshly reminded that these are real people, and the conspirator who had the least to do with it (the Rob Corddry character) actually died. That's the tragedy that grounds it.

And yeah, I barely remember the scarce fat/gay/poop jokes, as most of the humor came from the main characters' own idiocy. The Rebel Wilson jokes are just meant to poke fun at Anthony Mackie's insecurity about his dick.

Not so much the wrapup text but the end credits. Once you see how tawdry and cheap and ugly it all is, you're like "oh yeah, that's right..."

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Yeah, I don't really remember any egregious gay/fat/poop jokes either. Pain & Gain isn't a masterpiece, but it is a thoroughly entertaining satire of the American Hustle-type "crime dramedy," in which we're shown that most criminals are actually pretty stupid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hewlett posted:

And yeah, I barely remember the scarce fat/gay/poop jokes

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Yeah, I don't really remember any egregious gay/fat/poop jokes either.

I mean, more power to you guys for blocking that awful crap out of your memory, but it's definitely there.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, more power to you guys for blocking that awful crap out of your memory, but it's definitely there.

I mean, what ones are there?

-Rebel Wilson is fat and obnoxious, but Tony Mackie doesn't think he can do better because his dick don't work.
-the poop spread in Tony Shalhoub's hospital bathroom, which is a one-second button on the scene where he finds out he's screwed despite being the victim.
-the fact that Paul beats up the priest who comes onto him, which isn't 'gay people are funny hurr' but just shows the weird violence/religion tightrope he walks in the film.

I don't really remember any other ones, and these are fairly small parts of the film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's also the whole "there's a lot of homo poo poo in here, dude" scene and the gag early on about Marky Mark having to get up close and personal with an overweight woman's unkempt bush. The latter in particular was my "ah, yep, definitely a Michael Bay movie" moment.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There's also the whole "there's a lot of homo poo poo in here, dude" scene and the gag early on about Marky Mark having to get up close and personal with an overweight woman's unkempt bush. The latter in particular was my "ah, yep, definitely a Michael Bay movie" moment.

I guess, but those didn't seem like jokes at the expense of gay/overweight people as much as showing the audience how scummy the main characters were for being disgusted by it. Yeah, you have a terrible person espousing a terrible opinion, the punchline is "yeah, The Rock's a homophobe and Marky Mark is an ungrateful douchebag with contempt for his clients."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You can definitely argue that it's supported by the text but to me it just looks like another series of examples in a long career of going for the lowest-hanging-fruit possible.

Don't get me wrong, as a movie it's definitely a big step up for Bay and I enjoyed parts of it, but that poo poo is still really holding him back. He needs to unlearn some of those tendencies.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You can definitely argue that it's supported by the text but to me it just looks like another series of examples in a long career of going for the lowest-hanging-fruit possible.

Don't get me wrong, as a movie it's definitely a big step up for Bay and I enjoyed parts of it, but that poo poo is still really holding him back. He needs to unlearn some of those tendencies.

I'll certainly agree to that. P&G is not perfect by any means, but it's a vast improvement for him, and at least he turned his worse tendencies into something a little more self-reflexive and transparent in its odiousness.

EDIT: For reference, I think the early attempts to kidnap Tony Shalhoub are the highlights of the film comedy-wise. The first attempt to ambush him in his home at night, only to clumsily back out because "They're having shabbat!" is one of my favorite jokes in the film.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 22, 2014

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

It's a fairly slick film I'll give it that, but I find bay's sense of humour pretty gross and misogynistic. I didn't even mention the terrible attitude towards women in it, that's almost the worst part.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

cat doter posted:

It's a fairly slick film I'll give it that, but I find bay's sense of humour pretty gross and misogynistic. I didn't even mention the terrible attitude towards women in it, that's almost the worst part.

It seems pretty equal opportunity with its male and female characters to me.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Hewlett posted:

-Rebel Wilson is fat and obnoxious, but Tony Mackie doesn't think he can do better because his dick don't work.

He likes her because she is fat. Earlier on Mark Whalberg talks about his love for "plump bitches" and how he doesn't have money to pay for their dessert.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

mod sassinator posted:

Had my hopes up for the HBO stuff but I dunno, beyond the big stuff like Sopranos it's pretty slim pickings. Was hoping to see stuff like From The Earth To The Moon or their awesome documentaries like The Last Truck. All the stuff I see is pretty meh.

You crazy. The HBO additions mean I get to re-watch all of my favorites like The Wire, Oz, Big Love, Band of Brothers, Flight of the Conchords and all sorts of other stuff, all from one place. AND I can finally get into the shows I never saw but should have... Deadwood, Carnivale, Enlightened.

Last night I got about halfway through the first of the "West Memphis Three" documentary trilogy; pretty drat compelling so far.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pahuyuth posted:

Carnivale

Carnivale is amazing and it's a shame that it was prematurely cancelled. It's slow to start, but holy wow, is it good.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

pahuyuth posted:

You crazy. The HBO additions mean I get to re-watch all of my favorites like The Wire, Oz, Big Love, Band of Brothers, Flight of the Conchords and all sorts of other stuff, all from one place. AND I can finally get into the shows I never saw but should have... Deadwood, Carnivale, Enlightened.

Last night I got about halfway through the first of the "West Memphis Three" documentary trilogy; pretty drat compelling so far.

Prepare to meet and fall in love with Al Swearengen.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Greatest man ever. He was related to all those nobility cocksuckers

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TryAgainBragg posted:

Greatest man ever. He was related to all those nobility cocksuckers

Swer-gin! Wu! America!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010