Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

Did you post that because they're still playing it in Bangkok nightclubs kekeke
It's the official coupsday song!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
13 coups in 80 years. Thomas Jefferson would be so proud. Sort of.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wait I know what happened. Some of those sex pensioners who were saying they were going to leave because of the temporary visa cutbacks actually left and the economy went into a tailspin just like they said it would and the Army came in and

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Please change all the "xx has the best food" lines in the D&D thread to "xx has the best coups"

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Given the nature of Thai politics and the way these things seem to rarely effect the comings and goings of expats, should I assume that my trip to BKK in 19 days will be unaffected +/- traffic, possible detours, and the occasional armed troop in public?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Basically, yes, with the caveat that it's never possible to predict 100%. Using the past as a guide, though, you should be fine as a tourist. Just check in here for areas to avoid.

Worst likely problem for you currently would be a random seizure of a roadway leading to/from an airport, but stay tuned for further idiotic developments!

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Sounds good, thanks!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

zgrowler2 posted:

Given the nature of Thai politics and the way these things seem to rarely effect the comings and goings of expats, should I assume that my trip to BKK in 19 days will be unaffected +/- traffic, possible detours, and the occasional armed troop in public?

Best time to go IMHO

Less tourists, better prices, more interesting goings on, and if you're adventure averse just stay out of Bangkok and you'll barely know anything is going on. Even if you're in Bangkok being reasonable will mean staying out of three major interactions and the worst you may possibly experience is some inconvenience with flights (sorry boss, there was a coup).

raton fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 20, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Best time to go IMHO

Seconding this. Thailand had coups, floods, protests, etc... Still A LAND OF SMILES

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Good to know. According to my travel buddy we won't be in BKK long anyway, probably mostly Khon Kaen and Pattaya. I really wanna get back to Pantip to re-up on software, but we'll see.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
SE Asia Megathread: If you plan to go to Pattaya keep it to yourself

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

zgrowler2 posted:

probably mostly Khon Kaen and Pattaya.

:homebrew::a2m::homebrew:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Is it bad that my main response to political news in Thailand these days is "awesome, looks like there will be more great deals, gotta book another trip ASAP?"

Although airfares from Singapore never seem to change much - I guess people still gotta fly back and forth to stash their cash..

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hell, I am now entertaining a job offer in Bangkok that I was kind of on the fence about. There isn't much in Thailand that would cause me to say "I wouldn't go there." Indonesia/Malaysia/Burma/Cambodia on the other hand.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gail Wynand posted:

Is it bad that my main response to political news in Thailand these days is "awesome, looks like there will be more great deals, gotta book another trip ASAP?"

Although airfares from Singapore never seem to change much - I guess people still gotta fly back and forth to stash their cash..

You get tiger/jet star and a whole other bunch already though!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm always the first person to downplay Thai coups but they are real and Thais play politics for keeps. I'd never discourage anyone from going during unrest because the risks are so low and the benefits so great but it is possible that one of these days one of these things could get horribly ugly. Thais will never go after foreigners (well, not farang; Muslims, the Chinese and other SE Asian neighbors need to be a lot more careful) mostly because they correctly identify their own ruling class as the source of their woes (even if both yellow and red shirts are prone to inflating both their respective demons and saints). Unlike an uneducated American almost every Thai person you meet recognizes that the people running things are only slightly interested in their welfare (and to the kings great credit I personally think he cares more about the welfare of your average Thai farmhand than any other major player) and sees most of the political games for what they are.

Anyway, despite the various leaders actually caring about their constituencies more than we expect and despite the national trait of understanding and operating in a politically savvy manner, and despite the fact that there is very little anger directed toward foreigners, Thais are not at all timid when roused and not at all scared of pulling out the stops to win.

Go and see all the awesome things going on, there's never been a better or more interesting time to be in SE Asia. But don't let your feeling of security get ahead of you and run into the middle of a riot.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Anyone ever have an ATM crap out on them but still get charged the cash amount? Just happened to me at an Indonesian ATM and I not sure how I can prove I got no cash out.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm headed back to Bangkok next week, weirdly airfare shot up by ~$40 today, it was $260 one way last time I checked.

I figure drunk drivers still pose a much greater risk to my personal safety than political unrest.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Wilhelm posted:

Anyone ever have an ATM crap out on them but still get charged the cash amount? Just happened to me at an Indonesian ATM and I not sure how I can prove I got no cash out.

Did you print out the receipt? Always print out the receipt. If not it's possible but much harder to prove. Atms do have a camera installed

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wilhelm posted:

A girlfriend had that happen to her in the States. She just went in there and fake cried and they crosschecked how much was in the ATM vs. how much there should be and she was the only person who could have been out forty bucks or whatever so they credited it back to her. If you're talking Indonesia and a withdrawal on a foreign bank account then honestly I'd just chalk it up to a fun tax -- but you can try calling your bank and asking them to sort it out. You could try talking to whatever bank sponsored the ATM as well and maybe you can get some paper to send to your bank but, I mean, good luck.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

caberham posted:

Did you print out the receipt? Always print out the receipt. If not it's possible but much harder to prove. Atms do have a camera installed

No receipt was given since no money was ever given, just a 'transaction can not be processed' message on the screen. This was at a random ATM by the Surabaya airport so I might be out some money it seems. Another $240 after the $150 scooter fleecing, gah!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Is it possible that your bank deducted the amount on the assumption that the transaction would be cleared but then a few days from now when all the information is sent back and forth between the banks, the money will reappear?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is it possible that your bank deducted the amount on the assumption that the transaction would be cleared but then a few days from now when all the information is sent back and forth between the banks, the money will reappear?

This happened to me. Give it a few days first. Indonesia can be dodgy as gently caress but it's probably just the banks being overzealous without checking the atomicity of the transaction.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Wilhelm posted:

No receipt was given since no money was ever given, just a 'transaction can not be processed' message on the screen. This was at a random ATM by the Surabaya airport so I might be out some money it seems. Another $240 after the $150 scooter fleecing, gah!

Sometimes error messages will also have a receipt. Any photos of the atm in question?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Happened to me in Geneva - money turned up EOD back in my account

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Have you called your card issuer? Just because your statement says the money has left your account doesn't mean your bank has actually paid the Indonesian bank yet. If you tell them you didn't get the money and they'll freeze it and ask the Indonesian bank for their side of the story; they'll either admit the ATM was faulty and your bank won't pay them (and refund you) or they'll deny it but then it just becomes between the two banks and isn't your concern until it's sorted out.

What has happened is basically just fraud and your bank will take another bank attempting to defraud them just as seriously - if not more so - than if it was a person doing it.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

The transaction happened on the 16th but I'll be able to call tomorrow and hopefully sort it out. Thanks for the advice/info! We unfortunately don't remember the bank affiliated with the ATM (it was late on arrival) but will see.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Centripetal Horse posted:

Is this innocent or dirty? I am having visions of that scene from Skin Deep.

It can be either, depending on sobriety levels.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

*negotiating salary in job interview*

"Well you know, martial law is ongoing in Bangkok, how does this affect my potential pay?"

"Well we can increase your pay and benefits to compensate if that is acceptable?"

Yase, excellent...

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

*negotiating salary in job interview*

"Well you know, martial law is ongoing in Bangkok, how does this affect my potential pay?"

"Well we can increase your pay and benefits to compensate if that is acceptable?"

Yase, excellent...

I kinda had a similar experience when negotiating a programming lead gig in Bangkok in January when the shutdown was at its peak. Even then, the offer wasn't good enough. I was really keen to get a decent job in SEA when I quit my previous job in Jan, but neither Bangkok or Saigon paid enough. So I accepted that cubicle life in Bangalore and taking a LOT of SEA vacations is better (BLR to SIN and BKK is only $100!).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Anarkii posted:

I kinda had a similar experience when negotiating a programming lead gig in Bangkok in January when the shutdown was at its peak. Even then, the offer wasn't good enough. I was really keen to get a decent job in SEA when I quit my previous job in Jan, but neither Bangkok or Saigon paid enough. So I accepted that cubicle life in Bangalore and taking a LOT of SEA vacations is better (BLR to SIN and BKK is only $100!).

Yea, true, I've seen that myself. The only reason I am considering this job is because the company makes 50+ billion a year in revenue, so I am confident they won't cheap out like pretty much all of the development field or many INGO/NGO/Government sector jobs.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Aand it's official i think.

Thailand's army chief has announced that the armed forces are seizing power after months of deadly political turmoil.

Urgent: Prayuth announces coup - The Nation

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have to say, from appearances (which mean nothing in Thailand, though are taken to mean everything), it's a loving weird one. The Army and Police unite to remove Suthep and the other protest leaders and seize power?

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out and how much of this is shadow puppetry (like when they let Arisman "escape" or "arrested" people they had no intention of charging for short-term street cred previously).

Anyway, I've not been to Silom where there's supposedly some activity, but I was all over Bangkok all day with clients and alone and nothing seemed remotely odd in terms of day to day behavior.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Was anyone in this thread here for the big coup of '06? How long can we expect a nationwide curfew and the borders to be closed?

This is highly annoying. Why couldn't they have done this further away from the weekend.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I actually missed it as I was back in America for a spell at the exact time, but I was here for other major curfews. I think I was out drinking during several of them. The biggest problem for tourists doesn't tend to be the curfew, in my experience (in Bangkok), it's that the taxis are all forced off the road so there's no way home, heh. I just ride my mountain bike out after curfew hours.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I have to say, from appearances (which mean nothing in Thailand, though are taken to mean everything), it's a loving weird one. The Army and Police unite to remove Suthep and the other protest leaders and seize power?

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out and how much of this is shadow puppetry (like when they let Arisman "escape" or "arrested" people they had no intention of charging for short-term street cred previously).

Anyway, I've not been to Silom where there's supposedly some activity, but I was all over Bangkok all day with clients and alone and nothing seemed remotely odd in terms of day to day behavior.

I was just in Silom and didn't see anything. Outside of the odd unit standing around intersections, everything seems to be normal.

ReindeerF posted:

I actually missed it as I was back in America for a spell at the exact time, but I was here for other major curfews. I think I was out drinking during several of them. The biggest problem for tourists doesn't tend to be the curfew, in my experience (in Bangkok), it's that the taxis are all forced off the road so there's no way home, heh. I just ride my mountain bike out after curfew hours.

Is there a curfew in place at the moment? I went out at about 3 last night and it was strangely quiet.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

cent0r posted:

Is there a curfew in place at the moment? I went out at about 3 last night and it was strangely quiet.

Yep 10pm to 5am. Just starting tonight though, iirc.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I arrive in BKK next Friday, what great timing. Leave the country for a few months and boom, coup.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Are the borders closed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

cent0r posted:

Please report to your nearest police station, thank you.