Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I cant beleive you got sketchup to do that (fillets and curves). Looks like good attention to detail.
I'd have really recommended using something else to model a guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Tried to write up how I did it but its something that would really benefit with image guides. I'll see if I can put something together at the weekend. Super short version - Build a 'negative' object of the cutaway area, move into position, intersect faces with model, cut away faces to reveal lovely if sometimes broken curves.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
That's basically a boolean operation. The problem with it is you end up with one or more N-sided shapes and loads of really acute angled triangles, none of which are any good for rendering or lighting. It's a nice shape and you have the form well, but it needs to be remeshed in another program by the looks of it.

It's a very impressive bit of modelling for sketch-up though.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

I made a tumblr & a new image :shobon:

"Escape"

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Dear 3DCG Thread,

I come to you in a time of need. I went to university for three years and learned some Maya along with other stuff not relating to game art. I left university and found studios generally use 3DS Max. Great, my degree and skills are useless and pointless.

I'm finally over my hump and currently trying to teach myself 3DS Max, this is very difficult for me as currently I'm in china (without a VPN atm) and cannot access youtube tutorials for the time being. Is there a good site that offers non youtube reliant tutorials, either through images or another video service?

Also could you help me with these quandaries?;

Is the current system for making characters in the games industry to sculpt them, then texture them in max?

Is the current majority of companies using a mix of zbrush and 3D max?

how do I reshape UV faces so that they keep their proportions on the UV map and how do I save as anything other than a UVW file?

Am I completely hosed? Cause I feel completely hosed as 3D max seems so loving hard to learn by myself.

thank you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Everyone I know who works in games has worked at places that use either max or Maya. What I'm saying is that learning both is inevitable and normal. Everything you can do in one you can do in the other just in different ways. The underlying reasons and concepts are the same.

As to where to get training behind the Great Firewall, that's a good question... If you're able to pay, sites like 3dmotive.com have some good video game focused max and Zbrush training.

mutata fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 22, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

mutata posted:

Everyone I know who works in games has worked at places that use either max or Maya. What I'm saying is that learning both is inevitable and normal. Everything you can do in one you can do in the other just in different ways. The underlying reasons and concepts are the same.

As to where to get training behind the Great Firewall, that's a good question...

I really don't know what to do, I'm at my wits end to this software thing. Should I just practise with maya and get really good? What puts me off that is that I looked at job prospectuses and they rarely mentioned maya. :gonk: it's all very stressful with the idea I wasted three years on nothing, along with not being taught sculpting programs.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Another design inspired by Gris Grimly.

Also - a rather unusual tree I "scanned" recently using photogrammetry.

The tree scan is about 2.4 million polys.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've just ended up using a whole bunch of them through the years. The basic theory has stayed pretty much the same, the only difference is what menu or keystroke that command is hidden under. Google is your best friend with 'xxxxx in max', and just plug in your search term. Sculpting is a different kettle of fish. Pick your program and get to basics: Zbrush is my preferred tool and their classroom site has a ton of free videos to get you going:
http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I really don't know what to do, I'm at my wits end to this software thing. Should I just practise with maya and get really good? What puts me off that is that I looked at job prospectuses and they rarely mentioned maya. :gonk: it's all very stressful with the idea I wasted three years on nothing, along with not being taught sculpting programs.

Without being too harsh, I'm comfortable with saying that learning new programs is just something you're going to have to deal with. I used Maya exclusively in school and in my first 2 industry jobs. I never learned Zbrush at school (in fact, my program director hated it and outlawed it. To be fair, it was a film art program, but still). 4 months ago I took a new job where they used only Max. Any established, professional company is most likely going to understand the need for a 3d artist to train on a new package. Like I said, it's a part of the industry.

Learning the first program is hard but has a lot of fun and discovery attached to it. Learning your 2nd program is the WORST. You've already learned expectations of competency since you attained a level of competency in your first program, but you can't reach those expectations due to lack of experience in the new program. While you're learning your first program, you feel that you are the one falling short whereas when you're learning your 2nd program, you now feel like the program is the one getting in YOUR way. That's not fair to yourself OR the program. It just is what it is: you just have to push through it.

The good news is that learning subsequent programs seems to get easier after that. But I wouldn't worry too much right now. You sound like you're just starting out, so I would focus on making good - looking work for now. You can definitely apply to Max jobs with training background in Maya. For most Max companies that I've interviewed with, the news that I only knew Maya was met with "Oh, yeah, whatever, that's fine, you can just learn it."

Make good work first. Worry about tools second.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Someone just reccomended scluptris to me so I got that downloading now, and I'm watching the basic free tutorials on digital tutors.

I made a screw! 3DS Max doesn't seem so scary now!

Considering it took me all day to get to the point of making this screw I'm going to wait till tomorrow before I try making a pen on my desk. hopefully what I've learned today will sink in.

mutata posted:

The good news is that learning subsequent programs seems to get easier after that. But I wouldn't worry too much right now. You sound like you're just starting out, so I would focus on making good - looking work for now. You can definitely apply to Max jobs with training background in Maya. For most Max companies that I've interviewed with, the news that I only knew Maya was met with "Oh, yeah, whatever, that's fine, you can just learn it."

Make good work first. Worry about tools second.

This is re-assuring to know. I guess there's a little more pressure as I have to learn the new program and make the work as I go along as my current portfolio (I would consider) is basically empty as I don't feel any of it is good enough. Luckily I'm in China where my only obligations are chinese lessons 4 mornings a week and my girlfriend at weekends. Giving me 5 afternoons (I go cycling on the friday morn) to work on my folio and skills. Luckily I'm in no rush to get employed here or this year.

I guess I just keep having little melt downs but, it feels good to have finally dived into 3DS Max and learned something about it today.

On top of that I finished :darksouls: so I don't have any excuse for distractions now, I should start taking part in community things to get the creative juices flowing I think.

Thanks for all your help man!

EDIT: I tried some sculpting before I logged off. By the time I was done it had 1,000,000 faces and the hands were hosed up but! I think it's not bad for a first try!

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 22, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

Another design inspired by Gris Grimly.

Also - a rather unusual tree I "scanned" recently using photogrammetry.

The tree scan is about 2.4 million polys.

That tree scan is the tits. What are you using to scan it?

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Holy hell. Has anyone tried out Maya 2015 yet? I just installed it at work, and the difference between this and 2014 are simply... startling. It feels like a different program. Everything is so snappy, fast, tools behave like they should, etc. Multi-Cut is fantastic now, I don't know if I'll ever use the vanilla cut again. Single x-ray via the toolkit works now as well, and I love that AO stays active with the x-ray; this makes game mesh modeling over the high rez mesh so much easier. Reflection listens to things like extrude now? Why yes, yes it does!

I know I had been doing some bitching about coming over from Max a few months back, but I finally feel comfortable in here now. I know it's a mix of several factors, not to mention several more months of getting used to things, but I feel like 2015 has really acted like the icing on the cake. These are some great, great additions.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

That tree scan is the tits. What are you using to scan it?

Doesn't look nearly as good in shaded mode vs. texture mode.

Agisoft is what I am using. Works insanely well compared to my attempts at Realviz Imagemodeler in the past. Of course, a lot has changed in 15-20 years and I have to wonder if Autodesk is even still developing Imagemodeler, or did they just put their efforts into 123D Catch. 123D Catch is OK for low res stuff but I believe it does all the work in the "cloud" and is pretty low res by comparison.
Also don't like Autodesk having a copy of everything I upload.

Regardless, here is a pretty good scan of a cemetary statue. Matte / stone objects scan very well. Shiny objects . . . not so much.

I say pretty good, because I haven't bothered removing the shadows before making the scan etc. Also, it wasn't shot in RAW and is only 35 pics. More pics = better scan. Oh... and that statue is only 500k vs. the "Fairy Garden" is 2.4 million.

Hazed_blue: Dammit. I was hoping to put off upgrading to 2015 but now you are making it tempting.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 23, 2014

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Funny, from all the job postings in my area I kept getting the impression that Maya was way more in demand than 3ds max, and I've been struggling to get myself to learn it. Also the god of 3d animation that is David OReilly uses Maya...

I made a rotating animation in 3ds max + vray, I used the 3ds max hair and fur because of the styling tools, but shaded it with vray hair material. Is that combination the reason for the mottled noise cropping up?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hernando posted:

Funny, from all the job postings in my area I kept getting the impression that Maya was way more in demand than 3ds max, and I've been struggling to get myself to learn it. Also the god of 3d animation that is David OReilly uses Maya...

I made a rotating animation in 3ds max + vray, I used the 3ds max hair and fur because of the styling tools, but shaded it with vray hair material. Is that combination the reason for the mottled noise cropping up?

My guess is that those are photons. Push up your final gathering and it should smooth out / blur your photons. Max used to have presets for still vs. animated renderings, specifically to cut down on that sort of thing. Been a while since I used Max though, so I dunno if those settings still exist. I don't even know if people are using "importons" vs. photons these days.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

I made a pen! Now to try texture it! :gonk:

Edit: I just thought I'd share this, I found a really good non-video based tutorial on how to do UV mapping in 3ds max;
http://gameindustry.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/Uv-Mapping-In-3ds-Max-2013-Part-1.htm
Hopefully once I'm done these tat pen will be textured by monday!

I'm nearly up to speed with my maya abilities. Once I've learned how to sew and organise a UV map properly and scale the meshes proportionately along with some ambient occlusion I'm good to go.

Why was I so scared??

Edit: I think I may have this texturing thing sorted....I made a terrible terrible game boy using a papercraft sheet, it's looking more like this pen maybe textured by monday after all!

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 23, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Hernando posted:

It's a GI issue. for that i'd switch off GI entirely and put your environment map into a dome light. Otherwise you need to pre-calculate and save your irradiance map instead of rendering a new one every frame. your settings are probably already too high, pushing them up higher to fix this is a loosing battle.

Here's a job I finished off recently that went public nearly straight away. Cleanup job was a bitch. Original photograph on top (after straightening it up), re-touched & matched version with CG on the bottom. had exactly 7 days to do both from scratch.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 23, 2014

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

It's a GI issue. for that i'd switch off GI entirely and put your environment map into a dome light. Otherwise you need to pre-calculate and save your irradiance map instead of rendering a new one every frame. your settings are probably already too high, pushing them up higher to fix this is a loosing battle.

Sorry - forgot you were using Vray. I was referring to how it is done in Mray. You can ignore my advice in that case.

Always liked the look of zdepth passes. Not sure why they always seem to be so crunchy, but it may be just a resolution issue in zbrush.

This guy seems to make a living out of it. Somebody said he actually paints over the renders but I have a hard time believing that. Looks like he just renders zdepth passes out at high resolution and successfully sells them as fine art. After translation, it looks like he uses chalk / acrylic but I have to wonder how, since for all the world it looks like a standard zdepth pass with perhaps some color tweaking.

Also, although I know this may not be the place to post this, I thought it was pretty amazing. If only for the aesthetic and compositing work.

cubicle gangster: I have always wondered how you get the lighting to match the "people" in your renders so well. Do you match the lighting to the existing photos of people? Or somehow vice versa? Regardless, the compositing seems perfect!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 24, 2014

hac
Oct 21, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

Here's a job I finished off recently that went public nearly straight away. Cleanup job was a bitch. Original photograph on top (after straightening it up), re-touched & matched version with CG on the bottom. had exactly 7 days to do both from scratch.

drat nice renders in 7 days. Max with Vray?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Facepalm Ranger posted:

As others have said, don't stress out about knowing Max and Maya. Pick one, become an expert at it. Companies will happily train you in the other if need be. Just worry about making great art for your portfolio.

sigma 6 posted:

Doesn't look nearly as good in shaded mode vs. texture mode.

Agisoft is what I am using. Works insanely well compared to my attempts at Realviz Imagemodeler in the past. Of course, a lot has changed in 15-20 years and I have to wonder if Autodesk is even still developing Imagemodeler, or did they just put their efforts into 123D Catch. 123D Catch is OK for low res stuff but I believe it does all the work in the "cloud" and is pretty low res by comparison.
Also don't like Autodesk having a copy of everything I upload.

Nice scans! I don't know if Autodesk is still developing Imagemodeler, but I know for certain they are working quite diligently on the 123D Catch (which is no longer called 123D Catch, and is now called Recap 360 for the cloud-based service, and Recap Photo Enterprise for the industry non-cloud based version).

I do disagree with Recap360 being "low res" by comparison, as I use both Agisoft and Recap360 pretty much daily at this point. I think what you're seeing is the preview mesh in Recap360, which is typically limited to < 600k tris. If you pay for the service, the high resolution meshes are upwards of 3mill tris, and in my experience there is no difference between that mesh and one developed by Agisoft at that resolution. The advantage to Recap360 over Agisoft is that if you do a bunch of scans, you can submit them all in about 5 minutes, and get them all back in an hour or two. Also, the meshes are yours -- you have to explicitly allow Autodesk to use them, and you can delete them from your cloud drive at any time. At this point I typically use Recap360 when I need to process a large number of scans, and Agisoft when I'm shooting a small number of pieces. Agisoft tends to do better in a studio environment, as you can actually use things like a lazy susan to rotate an object around whereas Recap360 just gets completely confused by it (even using proper registration marks). At this point, I'd say they're both perfectly fine services, and they both produce really great results.

As another Recap360 example, this is a rock I scanned recently. It's around 2.3 million tris. At this level of density, there's virtually no difference between Recap360 and Agisoft -- it's still a lot of work to bring it down to something usable.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Hazed_blue posted:

Holy hell. Has anyone tried out Maya 2015 yet? I just installed it at work, and the difference between this and 2014 are simply... startling.

I definitely share your thoughts on 2015, even from the Max end. It looks like Autodesk finally fixed their lovely Revit->3DS Max linking feature in 2015 and the geometry you get is actually decent compared to the awful mess of unwelded, overlapping vertices from when they first introduced it. It also puts the materials/maps fbm folder in a sane location now ([project folder]/import) rather than some random path deep in AppData.

They also completely changed the look and feel of AutoCAD. It's still seems slow sometimes, but I won't know much more until my company upgrades.

cubicle gangster posted:

I cant beleive you got sketchup to do that (fillets and curves). Looks like good attention to detail.
I'd have really recommended using something else to model a guitar.

You'd be surprised how much you can get Sketchup to do when you're forced to use it. Unfortunately, it's become very widespread as the modeling software to use among architects, despite the fact that there is much better software available and all of the major problems Oscar Romeo Romeo posted about. I actually found out during the past few weeks that my boss wants me to become the "go-to Sketchup" guy and that we'll be using it for many of our future projects, despite the fact that we all have access to Revit and I'd rather use anything else.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I actually found out during the past few weeks that my boss wants me to become the "go-to Sketchup" guy and that we'll be using it for many of our future projects, despite the fact that we all have access to Revit and I'd rather use anything else.

All about budget these days. Once somebody in finance hears of a free equivalent to the software they have to pay licenses for every year, the free version looks like the much better deal despite the amount of money inevitably invested in man hours trying to get the free version to work even as close as some of the professional software out there.

I had nothing to do yesterday so I built a pickup for my guitar project.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 25, 2014

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I want to render a ~30s animation in 3ds max. My computer takes about five minutes to render a single frame, so this will take a lot more time than I have. My brother has a much faster computer, but I have no idea how to get my max scene with the objects (and especially textures, which are bitmaps scattered on my hard drive) on to his machine. Is there a way to do this without having to reassign all my materials and textures once I'm on his computer? The geometry should just be in the file but the materials make specific reference to file locations that won't exist on his computer. Anybody know how to do this?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Make a document with all your textures used on the project in it. Save a .max of your scene in that document or another one that is parent to the one with the textures. Relink your textures to those iin the document you've just created and then you won't have a problem with unlinked textures.

I'm sure a script that does this in seconds exists somewhere on the net though. If someone knows about it link it up. :)

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

Just go to File>Archive, it will gather all of the linked files and put them in a zip file along with your .max scene, and the paths will be automatically relative to the scene.

Also, thanks for the advice about GI, I'm working on a baboon right now so I will try playing around with the settings for this one.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Finished my UV map and pen texture.

so my questions are;
how do I get that lovely grey background in my render?
how come my render is showing the wireframe?
why is my texture all washed out like someone's pushed down the opacity?

Bonus but not required question;
How can I make my base look better? make the texture myself?

I would use google and youtube but, I'm in China :v:

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

so my questions are;
how do I get that lovely grey background in my render?
how come my render is showing the wireframe?
why is my texture all washed out like someone's pushed down the opacity?

Bonus but not required question;
How can I make my base look better? make the texture myself?

I would use google and youtube but, I'm in China :v:

Push 8 to open the environment window, you can set the render background color there.
I have no idea.
Might be Gamma and Lut settings in your preferences?

You could probably turn up the tiling of the material, but making a texture yourself would fit better.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Push 8 to open the environment window, you can set the render background color there.
I have no idea.
Might be Gamma and Lut settings in your preferences?

You could probably turn up the tiling of the material, but making a texture yourself would fit better.

Thanks buddy, here it is in all it's glory! I just have to figure out how to do metallic textures, but I'll save that for another project.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I want to render a ~30s animation in 3ds max. My computer takes about five minutes to render a single frame, so this will take a lot more time than I have. My brother has a much faster computer, but I have no idea how to get my max scene with the objects (and especially textures, which are bitmaps scattered on my hard drive) on to his machine. Is there a way to do this without having to reassign all my materials and textures once I'm on his computer? The geometry should just be in the file but the materials make specific reference to file locations that won't exist on his computer. Anybody know how to do this?

Disclaimer: I don't use 3D Studio Max but almost every program that uses outside assets has a "Collect Files..." or similar that will make a copy of linked files in a single folder. For 3DS Max, it looks like it's called "Resource Collector". Maybe try finding some tutorials using that?

Secondly, unless the specs on your home computer are simply terrible, 5 minutes per frame is probably too long, unless you're doing a still or super high res animation. Are there any textures that you can make lower res? Any particularly expensive effects that you can get away with throwing out? Definitely do some testing to figure out how to make your render times slower. Good lighting, better modelling, and clever textures can go a long way in reducing render times.

For example, I rarely use ambient occlusion on an entire scene. I want it on the region of interest and anything with small details that wouldn't show up with regular shadows. So instead of rendering a scene with AO, I'll render it without, and then do an AO pass on a copy of the scene with most of the objects removed. Composited, it looks great but my render times are significantly faster. Then there's the added benefit: I still have my first render without AO, and can add more/better AO passes if time permits.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Thanks buddy, here it is in all it's glory! I just have to figure out how to do metallic textures, but I'll save that for another project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9rgG2vPAvQ&t=133s

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Further updates to the guitar build. I'm not quite burned out on this yet but the bridge is driving me nuts.

Pickups complete and dropped into the body.

Couldn't find plans for an Edge Pro II bridge anywhere. The one thing Google doesn't have it seems, so I took the bridge out of my JEM and ripped the thing apart so I could get accurate dimensions with a micrometer.

Building the bridge so far... I may have underestimated how easy this bit would be. :/

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Gearman posted:

As others have said, don't stress out about knowing Max and Maya. Pick one, become an expert at it. Companies will happily train you in the other if need be. Just worry about making great art for your portfolio.

Nice scans! I don't know if Autodesk is still developing Imagemodeler, but I know for certain they are working quite diligently on the 123D Catch (which is no longer called 123D Catch, and is now called Recap 360 for the cloud-based service, and Recap Photo Enterprise for the industry non-cloud based version).

I do disagree with Recap360 being "low res" by comparison, as I use both Agisoft and Recap360 pretty much daily at this point. I think what you're seeing is the preview mesh in Recap360, which is typically limited to < 600k tris. If you pay for the service, the high resolution meshes are upwards of 3mill tris, and in my experience there is no difference between that mesh and one developed by Agisoft at that resolution. The advantage to Recap360 over Agisoft is that if you do a bunch of scans, you can submit them all in about 5 minutes, and get them all back in an hour or two. Also, the meshes are yours -- you have to explicitly allow Autodesk to use them, and you can delete them from your cloud drive at any time. At this point I typically use Recap360 when I need to process a large number of scans, and Agisoft when I'm shooting a small number of pieces. Agisoft tends to do better in a studio environment, as you can actually use things like a lazy susan to rotate an object around whereas Recap360 just gets completely confused by it (even using proper registration marks). At this point, I'd say they're both perfectly fine services, and they both produce really great results.

As another Recap360 example, this is a rock I scanned recently. It's around 2.3 million tris. At this level of density, there's virtually no difference between Recap360 and Agisoft -- it's still a lot of work to bring it down to something usable.

That sounds cool, and I appreciate the cloud's computing / rendering power, but I still wouldn't want to "explicitly allow Autodesk to use them". I pushed Agisoft to over 5 million polys the other day and it seemed to work quite well. Crashed when I pushed the texture generation to 16368 pixels though. Also, I could only get the lazy susan to work with Agisoft after making masks for each photo. Here is a very low resolution of another cemetery statue. What amazed me is how few photos it took to get a pretty decent model.

Only 19 pics and the model generated at 500k polys.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Hernando posted:

Just go to File>Archive, it will gather all of the linked files and put them in a zip file along with your .max scene, and the paths will be automatically relative to the scene.

Also, thanks for the advice about GI, I'm working on a baboon right now so I will try playing around with the settings for this one.

This worked perfectly, thanks so much! And thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. I was able to use my brother's computer, it did things around 5 times faster than mine would have.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

Prolonged Priapism posted:

This worked perfectly, thanks so much! And thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. I was able to use my brother's computer, it did things around 5 times faster than mine would have.

Hey no problem, glad it helped! Can I see the animation you rendered?

This is actually done with a dome light (+ direct) and GI turned off, although I liked it the way it was without the hair/fur. Kinda liking it more than using the v-ray sun.
Based on this Graeber article.

Hernando fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 28, 2014

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

That sounds cool, and I appreciate the cloud's computing / rendering power, but I still wouldn't want to "explicitly allow Autodesk to use them". I pushed Agisoft to over 5 million polys the other day and it seemed to work quite well. Crashed when I pushed the texture generation to 16368 pixels though. Also, I could only get the lazy susan to work with Agisoft after making masks for each photo. Here is a very low resolution of another cemetery statue. What amazed me is how few photos it took to get a pretty decent model.

Only 19 pics and the model generated at 500k polys.

When you need to process 50+ scans at a time, cloud processing is very handy :) For a lower number of scans, I certainly agree that Agisoft is the way to go. Nice statue by the way! I find that if you're getting good results with a lower number of photos, then it's a pretty good indicator that you're getting better at it :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
i'm trying to have a go of agisoft and is this supposed to be this slow? 40 photos of an object on the floor to test and on medium there's an eta of 8 hours to build the dense point cloud. this is loving nuts. high doesnt even register or bring up an eta.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

For a lot of stuff, a medium alignment and a medium dense point cloud works fine. I find it always works better if you work low to high, since the data is cumulative.

Definitely think I am getting better at the process, but a DSLR is practically a must for high resolution stuff.

This sneaker was done with DSLR and it made a world of difference. Lossy formats = noise in the model.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 28, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah I just did this after a couple of hours with no prior experience, sent it to my boss and he bought the software for me :)

Will be posting up some seagrape tree trunks up soon...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

That looks great!

Still curious about how you get so good at matching your 3d to the figures in your render? Do you match to your reference photo first, and then drop in stock people, then color correct those? You stuff is always so seamless.