Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Know what's great for Monastery Scimitar people?

Old Whip. Old Whip them right in the mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's the deal with the Suspicious Shadows? Sometimes I pummel them and they die no problem. Other times I hit them, then suddenly I take a huge chunk of damage from seemingly nothing. Then I usually get killed because I got stunned and am at low health and now the Sentry has shoved his sword into my back. Its pretty annoying since it seems totally random and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the deal with the Suspicious Shadows? Sometimes I pummel them and they die no problem. Other times I hit them, then suddenly I take a huge chunk of damage from seemingly nothing. Then I usually get killed because I got stunned and am at low health and now the Sentry has shoved his sword into my back. Its pretty annoying since it seems totally random and I'm not sure what to do about it.

They're one of the enemies in the game that have a hard hitting attack with little wind-up that looks very similar to their other moves. The Flexile Sentry is really similar to the Capra Demon in NG+ and beyond. I've had trouble in that fight when grinding for Aurous gear because not being able to kill those shadows in 1 or 2 hits leads to some really dangerous situations.

But it's a really easy fight. Really easy.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

They're one of the enemies in the game that have a hard hitting attack with little wind-up that looks very similar to their other moves. The Flexile Sentry is really similar to the Capra Demon in NG+ and beyond. I've had trouble in that fight when grinding for Aurous gear because not being able to kill those shadows in 1 or 2 hits leads to some really dangerous situations.

But it's a really easy fight. Really easy.

I wish they hadn't nerfed the Shadows; they used to have ~2k hp just in ng+ and did way more damage. Guess it makes them easier to farm, at least.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Know what's great for Monastery Scimitar people?

Old Whip. Old Whip them right in the mouth.

Or 2handing any large weapon (or halberd).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

uhh

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

You know with the NPC phantoms I thought it would be an invasion heavy covenant. But it's just a quest for a bonus boss fight.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

You know with the NPC phantoms I thought it would be an invasion heavy covenant. But it's just a quest for a bonus boss fight.

It's kind of goofy because at first I thought resonant soul and great resonant soul were exclusive to ranking up in the covenant, which would make doing so exceptionally desirable. But no, actually, Felkin sells a copy of each no questions asked. The other amazing thing about the covenant, the abyss ring, you get just by indulging the old guy and saying "yes I'd like to join your covenant".

The only unique things you get out of it are some rough mini-dungeons and a fun bonus boss, and a spell capable of instagibbing things at the cost of emptying your wallet.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 22, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's also the only way to get the Dragon Chime without just murdering the NPC, which is a good thing to get if you're a heavy offensive lightning miracle user.

Which uh... is not what you probably are if you have a hex build, and thus care about the other covenant rewards? Weird stuff

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Nahxela posted:

You don't really need heavy scaling to make something deal good damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_M1eRaI0c0

This video just makes me happy that other people remember Mischief Makers. That game is still one of my favorite platformers and it's totally underrated.

I also need to make a pyro build, gotdamn.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Genocyber posted:

I wish they hadn't nerfed the Shadows; they used to have ~2k hp just in ng+ and did way more damage. Guess it makes them easier to farm, at least.

Or 2handing any large weapon (or halberd).

Ultra Greatswords and Great Hammers are what you mean by "large" I assume?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Gazaar posted:

One of my videos happens to have an avelyn using host! It works out really well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXgQ3YQnuoQ

Thats some mean min/max there, you could pretty much 2-shot the dude there.

Its like you invaded way down into NG.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Cowcaster posted:

The only unique things you get out of it are some rough mini-dungeons and a fun bonus boss, and a spell capable of instagibbing things at the cost of emptying your wallet.

I beat Darklurker last night so I could get the Dragon Chime. Three great souls down, but 1mil+ SM, so I just went straight for Drangleic castle and dropped down to where Darkdiver Grandad is. Darklurker was actually kind of disappointingly easy... Sunlight/Great Lightning Spear really rips through that guy. Girl? Whatever. I did die to phantom Havel once, though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

As much as I like PvP in this game, equipping a ring of life protection and dunking myself off a cliff the second a poor red phantom invades brings its own vindictive satisfaction. As if red phantoms didn't have enough troubles getting invasions already.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm considering dropping my Avelyn for a Pyro glove and a Lightning Composite Bow. I don't have the Dex for a Bow of Want or the Black Bow (the one in Drangleic Castle) so would the Composite Bow be my best option then?

What arrows should I use for it?

Plastic Mick
Feb 12, 2013

Stuck in the 80s

Cowcaster posted:

As much as I like PvP in this game, equipping a ring of life protection and dunking myself off a cliff the second a poor red phantom invades brings its own vindictive satisfaction. As if red phantoms didn't have enough troubles getting invasions already.

That's such a dick move.
:hfive:

Related note, I'm growing increasingly disappointed with the quality of other players.
I've managed to beat all but one invader despite being pretty average at PvP, where in DS1 I was getting my poo poo handed to me by drat near everyone.

Surely there aren't that many players who are starting with game 2.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

One thing I've noticed is that there's a lot of variation when it comes to health pools. My main strategy (I know sorcery is better, shut up) is to just chuck Sunlight Spears at people. A lot of people just get one-shot or nearly one-shot by a successful hit, but some people, even without blocking, end up taking maybe a 30% chunk of their health. I guess some people are just cramming maximum points into vigor?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah I think a lot of people dump points into vigor once they've maxed out whatever attack stat(s) they want. I've kept mine at 30 and have felt very little need to go higher, but we'll see how it goes when/if I get bored of trying out sorcery.

thus far at I've not found it very useful at all but it looks like all the powerful spells are 30+ INT which makes sense.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah I think a lot of people dump points into vigor once they've maxed out whatever attack stat(s) they want. I've kept mine at 30 and have felt very little need to go higher, but we'll see how it goes when/if I get bored of trying out sorcery.

Mine's at 12 this time around. :ssh:

I put all my points into faith, attunement and dex so I could become a lightning-throwing, katana-wielding glorious nippon monster. If only I could find some wings...

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Is it just me or did they seriously improve enemy archer aim in this game? I've been going through No Man's Wharf and I feel like I'm getting pelted all the drat time. One of them even headshot me. :tinfoil:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

They'll now aim where you are going so you can't dodge them by simply moving, but they nerfed the mid-flight tracking hard.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah most archers have been known to lead so you have to fake em out

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I keep getting invaded by the same rear end in a top hat over and over in the Chasm of the Abyss and the associated effigy tax is starting to make me mad at video games. I realize the solution to this problem is to get good and win an ascetic out of the deal but goddammit I'm just trying to fight the menacing angel that chills out in the bottom of a cave for some reason, I don't have time for some rear end in a top hat with a lightning spear cosplaying a Spider-Man villain.

(Oh, hey, I just realized, maybe Darklurker is a piece of Manus split off into its own being like Nassandra. Doesn't explain what it wants or why it's in the chasm but it's something at least.)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've noticed most PVP ends with a win for me by simply parrying the very first strike they make. I guess most people don't think anyone parries in DSII but if there's no lag you can do it with ease.

Then they just sit their dumb parried rear end on the floor and wait for my mercy blow :smug:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mans posted:

I've noticed most PVP ends with a win for me by simply parrying the very first strike they make. I guess most people don't think anyone parries in DSII but if there's no lag you can do it with ease.

Then they just sit their dumb parried rear end on the floor and wait for my mercy blow :smug:

Are you using the Monastery Scimitar?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Santier's Spear is a stupid gimmicky weapon that's very easy to beat in PvP (it was super common for a while, thus most people know how to counter it), but in PvE it is monstrous.

You can get it super early in the game as well, it just requires that you know what you're doing/where to go beforehand.

1. Get the Silvercat Ring. You need around 14k souls to buy it from Shalquoir.
2. Spelunk the Pit in Majula.
3. Avoid dying until you get to the Gutter. Run through the Gutter and pick up the Fragrant Branch of Yore near the entrance to Black Gulch.
4. Unpetrify Rosabeth and proceed as normal(ish) through the Shaded Woods.
5. Kill Najka, hop into Doors of Pharros, and go into the dreaded ratbro area.
6. There's a trio of Pharros' locks around a big door on the right ahead of the entrance to the area. Two are immediately visible but one is under the water. Using a lockstone on the one under the water lets you kill the mastodon knight behind the door by only partially opening it.
7. Grab Santier's Spear behind the now dead mastodon knight and break it however you want.

Basically, this allows you to get the dumb spear with under/near 50k soul memory. The main draw for me is that the spear is unbreakable and no one at low levels has it, meaning you can wow and amaze people who summon you.

If you try to use it in low level PvP you deserve what you get.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Colapops posted:

Santier's Spear is a stupid gimmicky weapon that's very easy to beat in PvP (it was super common for a while, thus most people know how to counter it), but in PvE it is monstrous.

You can get it super early in the game as well, it just requires that you know what you're doing/where to go beforehand.

1. Get the Silvercat Ring. You need around 14k souls to buy it from Shalquoir.
2. Spelunk the Pit in Majula.
3. Avoid dying until you get to the Gutter. Run through the Gutter and pick up the Fragrant Branch of Yore near the entrance to Black Gulch.
4. Unpetrify Rosabeth and proceed as normal(ish) through the Shaded Woods.
5. Kill Najka, hop into Doors of Pharros, and go into the dreaded ratbro area.
6. There's a trio of Pharros' locks around a big door on the right ahead of the entrance to the area. Two are immediately visible but one is under the water. Using a lockstone on the one under the water lets you kill the mastodon knight behind the door by only partially opening it.
7. Grab Santier's Spear behind the now dead mastodon knight and break it however you want.

Basically, this allows you to get the dumb spear with under/near 50k soul memory. The main draw for me is that the spear is unbreakable and no one at low levels has it, meaning you can wow and amaze people who summon you.

If you try to use it in low level PvP you deserve what you get.

I still routinely get destroyed by Santier's in PvP. :downs: I just can't get close enough to swing my sword without dying.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Opposing Farce posted:

I keep getting invaded by the same rear end in a top hat over and over in the Chasm of the Abyss and the associated effigy tax is starting to make me mad at video games. I realize the solution to this problem is to get good and win an ascetic out of the deal but goddammit I'm just trying to fight the menacing angel that chills out in the bottom of a cave for some reason, I don't have time for some rear end in a top hat with a lightning spear cosplaying a Spider-Man villain.

(Oh, hey, I just realized, maybe Darklurker is a piece of Manus split off into its own being like Nassandra. Doesn't explain what it wants or why it's in the chasm but it's something at least.)

I don't remember any dark spirits but are you sure it's a human player?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't remember any dark spirits but are you sure it's a human player?

NPCs always (as far as I know) have "[Adjective] [Name]" names, but this guy was just named Kraven (wearing hunter-esque garb and using a spear) and only showed up every third attempt or so, which is about right for the invasion timer. I'm pretty sure it was an actual dude.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I was invaded in the abyss by someone named Five Owls, which I thought was an NPC at first, but his movement patterns were too... dynamic for that. I can't help but think it must have been a player.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
There are no NPC invasions in the abyss.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Reached the boss in No Man's Wharf for the first time. Thoughts:

1) HOLY WOW what a cool design.
2) First time I summoned an ally. Lucatiel is a TANK JESUS CHRIST

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Artificer posted:

I still routinely get destroyed by Santier's in PvP. :downs: I just can't get close enough to swing my sword without dying.

If you can, try to get them to move into attack position first, than parry.

Or just stab through the swinging blades with a long weapon.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I get routinely destroyed by Santier's, since my preferred weapons are a bunch of two-handed stuff with no parry option. And I don't really feel like being one of those people who get a Monastery Scimitar either.

I already feel bad enough about carrying an Avelyn. :saddowns:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Just fought the worst drat Haveller ever, constantly had his shield up for guard breaks, he'd clearly made a beeline to get it early too to try and get an edge as I'm only 100k SM.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Attestant posted:

I get routinely destroyed by Santier's, since my preferred weapons are a bunch of two-handed stuff with no parry option. And I don't really feel like being one of those people who get a Monastery Scimitar either.

I already feel bad enough about carrying an Avelyn. :saddowns:

Santier's has a lot of really janky moves that knick to the side or even partially behind, it's pretty poo poo when I'm rolling behind to try to backstab. >:/

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Any tips for NG+ Darklurker as a melee STR build?

I can get it to split but just get destroyed after that point, looking for options that aren't respec and come back loaded up with GLS.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

Any tips for NG+ Darklurker as a melee STR build?

I can get it to split but just get destroyed after that point, looking for options that aren't respec and come back loaded up with GLS.

Can you get your ATN up to 10? If so, attune Chaos Storm or Fire Tempest with a Pyromancy Flame +10, and hit him with the AoE as he does the split. That should give you a significant leg up.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

For hybrid/caster builds, it seems like the Clear Bluestone Ring +2 is a vital must-have in the ring slot, isn't it?

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

Artificer posted:

For hybrid/caster builds, it seems like the Clear Bluestone Ring +2 is a vital must-have in the ring slot, isn't it?

Almost certainly, the benefit is insane from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

gently caress. Gonna replace the Ring of Steel Protection with it. Strip out the Lion Cuffs and Wanderer boots for the Alva set pieces for slightly heavier defence while maintaining good looks.

Still won't have as strong armor but at least I have more offensive options now.

Edit: I'll only have 40 less defence for 7% more weight. Oh well.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 22, 2014