Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dark Solux posted:

Any news on upcoming chromebooks? Anyone have any experience with the Acer C720? Kinda wary of a Celeron processor? Was hoping to get one with an i3 or something along those lines.

It's pretty quick. Screen and keyboard are what you'd expect from a $249 machine though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
I'll hold off until E3 in that case. Always something better around the corner.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Sneaky Fast posted:

I'm currently trying to decide between the MacBook Air and the Lenovo Yoga 2. I basically know what I'm going to get with the macbook, but does anyone have thoughts or experience with the yoga?

Or does anybody suggest another ultra book? Price range around $1500.

At that price range you should also check out the Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus. I have one and it is glorious. I picked up a consumer reports June 2014 electronics guide and they have it rated as their best 13inch laptop beating the MacBook pro and air as well as giving it the highest overall score for any laptop.

Its basically what happens when a PC manufacturer decides to sacrifice nothing to cost and go balls to the wall. Its pricey (more expensive in some ways than macs) but very very well done. You get a the high resolution screen of the Yoga with better battery life (although not quite MacBook air level) and better build quality.

Check out this comparison as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHAa7b19CjE

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dark Solux posted:

I'll hold off until E3 in that case. Always something better around the corner.

Haswell CPUs were announced in spring 2013, they did not see wide availability until at least October. If you wait until June you may have to wait until September for delivery...

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Dark Solux posted:

Any news on upcoming chromebooks? Anyone have any experience with the Acer C720? Kinda wary of a Celeron processor? Was hoping to get one with an i3 or something along those lines.

Kinda a weird question but has anyone had any luck doing nVidia gamestreaming to a chromebook?

The c720 is great for the price. I bought mine refurbished for 150 and absolutely love it.

The limitations of chrome os is infuriating however. What do you mean I can't access my network shares or print from network printers without another computer turned on? You won't be able to install Windows because Acer refuses to provide drivers.

Install crouton and you'll get a full os but that involves at least some knowledge of command line and Unix.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

edit: Nevermind, bought this Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus

Shapur fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 20, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lostleaf posted:

The c720 is great for the price. I bought mine refurbished for 150 and absolutely love it.

The limitations of chrome os is infuriating however. What do you mean I can't access my network shares or print from network printers without another computer turned on? You won't be able to install Windows because Acer refuses to provide drivers.

Install crouton and you'll get a full os but that involves at least some knowledge of command line and Unix.

For years my wife has a Macbook, but after five years it was showing it's age, and the battery was dying in a couple minutes. I sold it and picked up a C720 for a fraction of what another macbook would cost. She really likes it. After moving her photos to Google+ (she uses an iPhone and iPad) and syncing her iTunes library to a shared Google Music account, she hasn't missed the Macbook. She doesn't work, so she only uses it for internet browsing, light Netflix viewing, emails, etc. I have a MBP for work, and I bring it home if she needs to do anything more substantial, like heavy photo editing or something, but in the three months of having a Chromebook that's only happened once, and she could have done it on the Chromebook, but I figured the screen was nicer on my laptop.

I do wish the screen was better, but for $150 it's hard to beat. Also, my three year old loves to get ahold of our laptops, so being so cheap it's not really a big deal. For a family, if you have one nice desktop or laptop and want to get something for everyone to share, a Chromebook is a great choice.

A lot of people ask me if they can use a Chromebook, given how cheap they are, and I usually tell them to try for a couple weeks just using Chrome in full screen on their existing device. If they find that they don't have an issue then by all means, get a Chromebook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's also very easy to install the latest Ubuntu on a C720 and ditch ChromeOS completely

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

It's also very easy to install the latest Ubuntu on a C720 and ditch ChromeOS completely

I had the Samsung Intel Chromebook and messed around with Ubuntu on it, and it required a lot of janitoring. A lot of the functions didn't work properly, like hibernating and sleeping. I work in Linux, so I'm 100% comfortable in that world, and I don't mind (infact I enjoy) having to mess around with it to make it work, but it just wasn't worth my time. I couldn't imaging giving that to my wife, and being like, oh, the shortcut keys won't work unless you setup udev. Also It won't hibernate so every time you turn it on it will go to a bootloader warning, you'll have to hit CRTL+D and then wait for it. And then once you get to Linux none of your programs will work anyways, so you don't gain anything that you didn't get from ChromeOS already.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had the Samsung Intel Chromebook and messed around with Ubuntu on it, and it required a lot of janitoring. A lot of the functions didn't work properly, like hibernating and sleeping. I work in Linux, so I'm 100% comfortable in that world, and I don't mind (infact I enjoy) having to mess around with it to make it work, but it just wasn't worth my time. I couldn't imaging giving that to my wife, and being like, oh, the shortcut keys won't work unless you setup udev. Also It won't hibernate so every time you turn it on it will go to a bootloader warning, you'll have to hit CRTL+D and then wait for it. And then once you get to Linux none of your programs will work anyways, so you don't gain anything that you didn't get from ChromeOS already.

Hibernate and sleep work fine on the Acer. And it's got an intel chip so everything works like it does on my Thinkpad. The only weird thing is the boot menu which isn't a big deal.

You also need a mouse to install since the trackpad doesn't work without a script (unless they fixed it in the last few months)

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening
If I buy a thinkpad from the b&n link, am I still covered by their price guarantee? I'm afraid they are about to go on sale but I don't want to wait any longer.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

snoozeallday posted:

If I buy a thinkpad from the b&n link, am I still covered by their price guarantee? I'm afraid they are about to go on sale but I don't want to wait any longer.
You should be, and they're always on sale, anyhow. The "sales" never vary too much, either--you're talking +/- $20 on a $1000 machine most of the time.

TheHotCarl
Dec 14, 2003
Bulk Male Playmate of the Month: January, 1967
Does anyone have any experience with the lenovo outlet? Or any opinions on quality control in general with the thinkpads? Perusing the lenovo forums, particularly the thinkpad fanboy ones, it seems the quality is being called into question somewhat. I'm a little worried because I already ordered one and a friend did as well. I'm mainly interested in the t440p and t440s. Thanks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Outlet quality is still generally quite high. The people "calling into question" the newer ThinkPads are comparing them to last-gen ThinkPads, and finding them slightly wanting. They are still as-good-or-better than pretty much any other laptop you can buy, though, so don't be too concerned.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
So the new Surface Pro 3 has been announced. Looks like a pretty sweet machine, although battery life is a big question for me.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Client I'm at is deploying t440s. Keyboard is awful, TouchPad is horrendous, and the f keys, by default, only work while holding Fn. It's like a blind baby designed the laptop.

At least they run well and the screen isn't terrible, so you can solve the awful keyboard and trackpad problems with keyboard and mouse, but you would think that before you order hundreds of thousands worth of hardware you would test it for business usability.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Client I'm at is deploying t440s. Keyboard is awful, TouchPad is horrendous, and the f keys, by default, only work while holding Fn. It's like a blind baby designed the laptop.

At least they run well and the screen isn't terrible, so you can solve the awful keyboard and trackpad problems with keyboard and mouse, but you would think that before you order hundreds of thousands worth of hardware you would test it for business usability.

lmao. Do you have to be so dramatic? Thousands and thousands of T440s sold with an awful keyboard and horrendous touchpad?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I read from multiple sources the touchpad in particular on the T440/540s are bad and it's one of the main reasons I ended up staying away from them :shrug:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Fn+Esc turns on function lock. Did I miss the golden age of laptop human interfaces or something?

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
So, I'm trying to buy a laptop to use for work, with the ability to play some games, do movies, etc. like most of the other people here. I'm generally pretty bad with computer specs, but my search has been narrowed down to the Lenovo y410p that someone posted a page or two ago, and an Asus that a friend linked to me:

Lenovo: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y410p/?sb=:000001C9:0000FCD0:
Asus: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-15-6-T...=item4d1d7afff1

They both look similar, to me, aside from the price difference. I'd be willing to pay for either of them, so are there any glaring differences between the two, or should I just get the Asus? Thanks in advance!

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

I read from multiple sources the touchpad in particular on the T440/540s are bad and it's one of the main reasons I ended up staying away from them :shrug:

I think the touchpad is actually an improvement over older thinkpads. I was using a T420 and a T440p side by side the other day, and the T440p definitely has a better, more responsive touchpad. Scrolling and other gestures definitely work a lot better. The problem is that to give you that gigantic multitouch touchpad, they completely destroyed the trackpoint. They had to make room for it somehow and to do so they got rid of the trackpoint buttons.

Also, the T420 had a wobbly keyboard that felt nothing like older IBM produced thinkpads. The backplate on the thing was quite flimsy. The new keyboard feels firm and sturdy, despite being chiclet. I also think it's an improvement over what was shipping with thinkpads in more recent years.

People saying the T420 was the last great thinkpad are viewing things through rose tinted nostalgia glasses. Looking at the T420 and T440p side by side, everything was better about the T440p (screen, keyboard, touchpad) except for build quality and the trackpoint. The T420 had a horrid TN screen (vs FHD e-IPS or AH-VA on the T440p if you opt for the premium screen), crappy wobbly keyboard, and mediocre touchpad. It just had a real trackpoint, and slightly sturdier build quality. People saying Lenovo destroyed the Thinkpad line are just spewing hyperbole. I actually think that in most ways that matter to people (screen, keyboard, touchpad, size/weight, and battery life) the new thinkpads are an improvement.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 21, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I think the touchpad is actually an improvement over older thinkpads. I was using a T420 and a T440p side by side the other day, and the T440p definitely has a better, more responsive touchpad. Scrolling and other gestures definitely work a lot better. The problem is that to give you that gigantic multitouch touchpad, they completely destroyed the trackpoint. They had to make room for it somehow and to do so they got rid of the trackpoint buttons.

I consider the T440/T540 touchpad at least an order of magnitude worse than the solid one on my T430s (admittedly I did replaced the bumpy surface sticker with something more pleasing) - the new setup is disconcertingly wobbly and clicking feels 'wrong'

E. As for the keyboard you should perhaps not compare a 2+ year old laptop to a brand new one

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Let's put it this way, I'm in IT and had to figure out that the f keys didn't work how I expected without function lock on.

I'm not sure how many users you have dealt with, but I guarantee you next week we will have an absurd amount of complaints. Users already bitched that they no longer have Screensavers. Users are the worst.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

dissss posted:

I consider the T440/T540 touchpad at least an order of magnitude worse than the solid one on my T430s (admittedly I did replaced the bumpy surface sticker with something more pleasing) - the new setup is disconcertingly wobbly and clicking feels 'wrong'

E. As for the keyboard you should perhaps not compare a 2+ year old laptop to a brand new one

The keyboard on that laptop was flimsy even when new. I remember when my aunt first got it I was suprised by how flimsy it felt. I had also recommended thinkpads to a family friend who bought a T420 and I think he sent his back to Lenovo several times because the keyboard had so much flex. People saying the old keyboard was great have rose tinted nostalgia glasses. Maybe the keyboard was great on the old IBM produced thinkpads of yesteryear, but they had gotten pretty crappy on the more recent Lenovo produced thinkpads and the chiclet keyboard is actually an improvement IMO.

I didn't really like the bumpy surface or buttons right on the edge on the old touchpad. I think people mostly used the trackpoint on thinkpads because the touchpad was so mediocre.

Also, who still uses function keys for anything?

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 21, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Cmdrmonkey posted:

:f5:, though I'm using Ctrl+R more and more.

F2 to rename in explorer.

And Alt+F4, which works on most keyboards with Fn both off and on, so no problem there.

I'll reiterate that I'm happy with keyboard and touchpad on my E540, if that is something that applies to the discussion. I've always hated all touchpads, but not this one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cmdrmonkey posted:

F3 next search match
F5 refresh
F6 address bar
F11 full screen

I use the first three several times a day.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

The keyboard on that laptop was flimsy even when new. I remember when my aunt first got it I was suprised by how flimsy it felt. I had also recommended thinkpads to a family friend who bought a T420 and I think he sent his back to Lenovo several times because the keyboard had so much flex. People saying the old keyboard was great have rose tinted nostalgia glasses. Maybe the keyboard was great on the old IBM produced thinkpads of yesteryear, but they had gotten pretty crappy on the more recent Lenovo produced thinkpads and the chiclet keyboard is actually an improvement IMO.

I can't really speak for the Tx20 models, but I definitely think the keyboard on the Tx40 models is a downgrade from my T430s - the new ones look similar but feel sort of mushy in comparison.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I didn't really like the bumpy surface or buttons right on the edge on the old touchpad. I think people mostly used the trackpoint on thinkpads because the touchpad was so mediocre.

Mediocre maybe but still better than the new ones which are downright bad IMO

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Plenty have already been mentioned but the one I use most is F5 for execute in SSMS.

I get that you think the new models are fine, but the fact is a bunch of us hate the direction they're going in - if you want further evidence of that just look at the T series forum at Lenovo.com. Personally I'm probably going for HP next time around as I think their current systems are less compromised.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

F2 rename filesin explorer
F2 directly edit a cell in [favorite spreadsheet here]
Alt+F4 close application, close explorer window (it's like ctrl+w for your OS)
F5 run/rerun query/script, recompile, execute query
F5 refresh browser window
shift+F5 clear cached data and refresh browser window

Appication specific things
F1-F4 Various camera modes
F5/F9 quicksave/quickload
F9 pause head tracking
F11 full screen in almost any program
F12 reset/recalibrate head tracking
F12 Steam screenshot
F12 chrome developer mode

I'm sure there's more, that's all I can think of in 30 seconds that I use on a daily basis

That's handy, I've always used Ctrl+K, then backspace (chrome only)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 22, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Even chromebooks have F keys, they just have pictures of what they do on them. Once you're in Linux they act as F1-12.

Also, add me to the list of those who function daily and what the hell are you talking about.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So you can't just turn the keys back into function keys in the bios of the T440p?

I was leaning towards it but if that's the case I'm going to need to look elsewhere.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

havenwaters posted:

So you can't just turn the keys back into function keys in the bios of the T440p?

I was leaning towards it but if that's the case I'm going to need to look elsewhere.
You press Fn+Esc and they are function keys until you should choose to press Fn+Esc again. This is remembered between boots and everything. It's not an actual problem for personal use in my opinion. Deployment, ok, I can see the occasional ticket coming in, maybe.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Flipperwaldt posted:

You press Fn+Esc and they are function keys until you should choose to press Fn+Esc again. This is remembered between boots and everything. It's not an actual problem for personal use in my opinion. Deployment, ok, I can see the occasional ticket coming in, maybe.

Oh, that's not too bad. Actually better than my current laptop (2010 HP) where you have to go to the bios to turn off quick keys so you can use your function keys again.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah I just started this project Midway through and everyone was complaining about the f keys. I immediately change get Fn lock on and now none of them can use the keyboards because they keep holding Fn to run things.

Didn't mean to cause such a stir, but it is clearly a step in the wrong direction. Mute, volume up/volume down, brightness up/down etc are far less used than the f keys. I'm pretty sure everyone knows alt f4, or f1 for help and f5 for refresh. Someone getting a different reaction from these standard keys definitely will be confused.

My overall beef with the t440,though, is the touch pad. The entire thing depresses, it's hard to actually get it to so a right click at times, and it's far too large.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hi laptop thread. I have a couple of questions about the yoga 2 pro - was the backlight issue sorted, is there any point going for an i7 over an i5 (pretty normal use, not trying to transcode or anything) and is the ram easily upgradeable from 4gb on the i5 version?

Just found I get a good discount and a friend wants one...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Hi laptop thread. I have a couple of questions about the yoga 2 pro - was the backlight issue sorted, is there any point going for an i7 over an i5 (pretty normal use, not trying to transcode or anything) and is the ram easily upgradeable from 4gb

Yes, no, yes (see page 33 and forward)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Finally actually got the Asus N550JK last night. It is excellent for the price. Screen's gorgeous, great keyboard, feels very sturdy (the lid especially). Speakers aren't as useless as I was led to believe, either. They get very loud, even if audio quality drops when you push them that high.

Ran the GPU and CPU under relatively heavy load last night with no throttling at all while the laptop sat flat on a table. I did have Xotic do a thermal paste upgrade, though, so I can't say how it works stock. The touch pad is nice, but the buttons are way too stiff. This isn't much of a concern for me though, as I don't use them.

The included subwoofer is nice for what it is, but overall I'd rather have had them leave it out entirely and cut the laptop's price by $100.

Very satisfied, and I do recommend it to anyone in the market for an all-around powerful machine in the $1k range.

Biggest cons are its size and weight, but that's unavoidable when you're looking at a metal case with a glass screen in the 15" form factor.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Any reports on the new y40?

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I'm not sure whether to post this to the tablet thread or this one, as I'm torn between the two. What I'm looking for is a portable device that I could use to read through textbooks and with a good stylus response in order to take notes for mathematics courses. I like my friend's tablet, a samsung note, but seeing as it is $500 I feel that perhaps a touch-screen laptop could offer much more at that price point.

So basically what I'm asking is as follows:
  • Price Range <=$500
  • Good handwriting recognition.
  • Good eBook support for both *.pdf and *.epub
  • Not really getting it for games, but flash and video rendering without stuttering at 720p or below.

I could pick up a Lenovo Yoga 2 11.6" at the aforementioned $500, but if a tablet truly would be better for what I'm asking for at a lower price, I'd lean towards that instead.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mekkanare posted:

I'm not sure whether to post this to the tablet thread or this one, as I'm torn between the two. What I'm looking for is a portable device that I could use to read through textbooks and with a good stylus response in order to take notes for mathematics courses. I like my friend's tablet, a samsung note, but seeing as it is $500 I feel that perhaps a touch-screen laptop could offer much more at that price point.

So basically what I'm asking is as follows:
  • Price Range <=$500
  • Good handwriting recognition.
  • Good eBook support for both *.pdf and *.epub
  • Not really getting it for games, but flash and video rendering without stuttering at 720p or below.

I could pick up a Lenovo Yoga 2 11.6" at the aforementioned $500, but if a tablet truly would be better for what I'm asking for at a lower price, I'd lean towards that instead.

I can't think of a lot of laptops with pens at all anymore. I suppose the thinkpad yoga, or maybe you could find a refurbished thinkpad x series tablet for your price range but... yeah. There is though a thinkpad tablet 3 coming out, or already out, it starts at 500 I believe, runs full 64 bit win 8, and has a Wacom pen. It also has a decent looking keyboard dock but... it sure ain't a laptop, even if it can run all the standard windows software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's with the complaints about keyboards on the Tx20 series? Maybe it's a T420 thing only because I had two T520s and the keyboard, in addition to having pretty much the best layout ever, also was extremely solid and didn't flex at all.

Changing the default for F keys is annoying, but what really blows about the FN situation though is that they got rid of the dedicated volume buttons and mute indicators. :downsbravo: