Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Well all this drama got me curious enough to actually watch the trailer for Hyrule Warriors (name not final).

I already know how I feel about Dynasty Warriors so my expectations weren't much, but holy poo poo!

It looks terrible! Excuse me if this is old news, but I just can't believe I went this long without knowing. There's one enemy, literally the one loving enemy that hurt my wrist so much to fight in Skyward Sword, and I get to use bad controls to spin attack through hundreds of them at a time? Please tell me there's more content in the game than this because I'm not convinced there is. Lizzard guy, is that it? I thought there'd be some Zelda inspired unique mechanic to justify this game's existence. I'm sorry, there was a giant Goron lizzard, with a model that looks ripped straight from Ocarina of Time 3D. In fact all the enemies are reused. Did I mention it looks like a Dreamcast game? Don't be fooled by the unstable framerate, I can still count the polys on those trees, which I wouldn't normally nitpick except it's the only scenery there! Does this developer usually release trailers for games in pre-alpha, and did Nintendo even watch the trailer that presents itself in Times New Roman and parenthetical Arial Black before running it on their main Youtube channel? This looks like the kind of game that should get one launch day trailer in Japan and a page 2 release on the eShop. Any promotion beforehand is just reminding me of how bad it looks.

The last Nintendo game I was sure I wouldn't like was Other M, so excuse me if I feel safe writing this one off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crawfish posted:

On the subject of Hyrule Warriors, I sort of hope it does well enough to inspire them to let them use some of their other IP's for future Musou games.

I think Metroid Musou could be done well if given the chance. Killing much enemies on alien worlds, with the Galatic Federation and the other Hunters available to bump up the character selection.

I think Fire Emblem Musou could make a killing. That series is ALL ABOUT killing heaps of enemies, and they have decades of characters to bring into it.

If you included every single Metroid character who has ever existed and then doubled their number with Koei Original Characters you still wouldn't have enough characters for an interesting Musou game.

Fire Emblem would be pretty good though.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

F. Lobot posted:

Well all this drama got me curious enough to actually watch the trailer for Hyrule Warriors (name not final).

I already know how I feel about Dynasty Warriors so my expectations weren't much, but holy poo poo!

It looks terrible! Excuse me if this is old news, but I just can't believe I went this long without knowing. There's one enemy, literally the one loving enemy that hurt my wrist so much to fight in Skyward Sword, and I get to use bad controls to spin attack through hundreds of them at a time? Please tell me there's more content in the game than this because I'm not convinced there is. Lizzard guy, is that it? I thought there'd be some Zelda inspired unique mechanic to justify this game's existence. I'm sorry, there was a giant Goron lizzard, with a model that looks ripped straight from Ocarina of Time 3D. In fact all the enemies are reused. Did I mention it looks like a Dreamcast game? Don't be fooled by the unstable framerate, I can still count the polys on those trees, which I wouldn't normally nitpick except it's the only scenery there! Does this developer usually release trailers for games in pre-alpha, and did Nintendo even watch the trailer that presents itself in Times New Roman and parenthetical Arial Black before running it on their main Youtube channel? This looks like the kind of game that should get one launch day trailer in Japan and a page 2 release on the eShop. Any promotion beforehand is just reminding me of how bad it looks.

The last Nintendo game I was sure I wouldn't like was Other M, so excuse me if I feel safe writing this one off.

Eh, we've had one trailer probably pretty early into development. It might still be poo poo, but it's way too early to call it from the scant details we have.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you included every single Metroid character who has ever existed and then doubled their number with Koei Original Characters you still wouldn't have enough characters for an interesting Musou game.

Fire Emblem would be pretty good though.
I don't remember One Piece Musou having too many characters, and if you throw in the Hunters from Hunters, the Bounty Hunters from Prime 3, Anthony, maybe Adam, Dark Samus and SA-X, you'd probably have around the number the first One Piece Musou had.

Not that any of this matters of course.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

F. Lobot posted:

Okay.

Why on earth would you think that they would be incorporating motion controls for this game, especially when it's in an old series that doesn't change a whole lot and it's not being made by Nintendo (unless you're saying Musou games have bad controls?)? Dodongos are not "Goron lizzards" ("big-rear end lizzard" would have been acceptable). There's definitely more than that, as the thread was just discussing screenshots of what I'd assume are bosses. It definitely doesn't look like a Dreamcast game, not even as horribly empty as the field is, as terrible as the grass texture looks, and as bad as the trees look. Considering that they probably really wanted something new to announce to start the year off, I think it would be safe to say that Nintendo probably pushed for the trailer a little sooner than they should have, as the new screens coming out look better, even if not by much (although I'd guess a good chunk of the screenshots come from pre-rendered scenes). I never noticed that they used two different fonts for "Hyrule Warriors (name not final)", that's actually pretty funny.

I'm not saying the trailer isn't bad (for goodness' sakes, look at those Bokoblins popping in and out all over the place), and I currently have no interest in the game, but you seem so up-in-arms about it that it's a little bit amusing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's no loving way Hyrule Warriors will use motion controls.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So what they're saying is that if Sadness ever actually turns into a game, it might be made by a studio who knows what they're doing?

Any studio willing to pay money for the rights to Sadness has no idea what they're doing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

F. Lobot posted:

Yes, the game will literally be Link on an open field with infinite enemies spawning in, and you will have to waggle so hard you might as well strap your wii remote to a jackhammer.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Guys if he just watched the trailer he was looking at the announcement trailer from a year ago. There's been HUGE graphical changes since then - there's a side-by-side image floating around that shows how bad the original footage looks compared to the new stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Bit off-topic, but how did people react to Metroid: Other M when it was first announced?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Some folks were skeptical because of Team Ninja, but since there was no gameplay footage and the CGI recreation of the Mother Brain fight looked cool, people were excited.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People started to think it looked like poo poo around when Nintendo started their marketing push which included terrible Samus monologues and explained the control scheme.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I think people were excited when we first saw the game switched between third person and first person because that would have been really cool in they actually did that, but then they made you stand still while in first person and not let you shoot missiles in third person.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

So are there any of these Warriors games everyone's complaining about already available on the Wii U/Wii? I think I played a PS3 one at a friend's house once and kind of enjoyed its mindlessness.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

So are there any of these Warriors games everyone's complaining about already available on the Wii U/Wii? I think I played a PS3 one at a friend's house once and kind of enjoyed its mindlessness.

Warriors Orochi 3 is available on Wii U. It's a cross-over between Dynasty Warriors and the Japan-centric Samurai Warriors and has a cast over 100 characters.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Kinda seems like they should just call the game Hyrule Warriors at this point. Then again, I can remember thinking the same thing about Natal before it was called Kinect and that turned out ok. Or Nintendo could troll the gently caress out of people and call it New Legend of Zelda and add in "Wah wahs" to the Zelda music that the enemies dance in rhythm to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 is available on Wii U. It's a cross-over between Dynasty Warriors and the Japan-centric Samurai Warriors and has a cast over 100 characters.

Also included characters from Bladestorm which is their Hundred Years War game, that Troy game they made that was another smaller Musou game that wasn't as good as their giant ones, and Ninja Gaiden. It's also one of the better Musou games though because it's the giant nerd crossover game I would recommend one of the other games like Dynasty Warriors 7 or 8 first.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm kind of excited to see how the Link Dynasty Warriors game actually turns out. I never played Dynasty Warriors much so it'll be pretty new for me regardless, I reckon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you're an idiot

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Broken Cog posted:

Bit off-topic, but how did people react to Metroid: Other M when it was first announced?

I remember there being a pretty positive response overall but we had no idea what we were getting into.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Jolo posted:

call it New Legend of Zelda and add in "Wah wahs" to the Zelda music that the enemies dance in rhythm to.
I wasn't interested in this game before but if they did this I would buy it day one, no questions asked.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jolo posted:

Kinda seems like they should just call the game Hyrule Warriors at this point. Then again, I can remember thinking the same thing about Natal before it was called Kinect and that turned out ok. Or Nintendo could troll the gently caress out of people and call it New Legend of Zelda and add in "Wah wahs" to the Zelda music that the enemies dance in rhythm to.
A Link Between Worlds was totally New Legend of Zelda, they just didn't call it that by name.

Also if Hyrule Warriors comes out after August in America it will probably be like last year how every Nintendo game conveniently slotted into each month. There were rumors that Nintendo intentionally delayed certain releases so that there'd be a game every month from August to December and I just assume it's true. (Pikmin August, Wonderful 101 Sept, Wind Waker HD Oct, Wii Sports Club Nov, Mario 3D World Dec)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 22, 2014

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/zelda/index.html

The official Japanese website went up. Some new info:

- Impa's weapon is literally called Fat Sword
- two stages listed so far: Hyrule Field and Lanayru Gorge
- the game will have DLC
- in addition to the Premium Edition that was unveiled previosly, there will be a Treasure Box Edition that looks like a treasure chest and will include some digital content in the form of costumes (Courage, Power and Wisdom costume sets, to be exact), is otherwise identical to the Premium Edition.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Those in-game screenshots are looking a lot better than the reveal trailer already! :)

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also if Hyrule Warriors comes out after August in America it will probably be like last year how every Nintendo game conveniently slotted into each month. There were rumors that Nintendo intentionally delayed certain releases so that there'd be a game every month from August to December and I just assume it's true. (Pikmin August, Wonderful 101 Sept, Wind Waker HD Oct, Wii Sports Club Nov, Mario 3D World Dec)

No poo poo. Is water wet to?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

What if this new NFC Nintendo game is a Wonderful 101 sequal/spinoff? I would totally buy a Wonder Red NFC.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dunban posted:

- Impa's weapon is literally called Fat Sword

If you take the characters individually and literally it can mean that, but 太刀 (tachi) more commonly means "long sword."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't know why they wouldn't just call it the Biggoron's Sword since they already have a canon big rear end sword.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

BattleMaster posted:

If you take the characters individually and literally it can mean that, but 太刀 (tachi) more commonly means "long sword."

Ah, I see. Thank you! Kanjis are a bitch.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Quest For Glory II posted:

A Link Between Worlds was totally New Legend of Zelda, they just didn't call it that by name.
I'm fairly sure the enemies in ALBW don't dance in time to Wah-Wah sounds in the music :colbert:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Those in-game screenshots are looking a lot better than the reveal trailer already! :)

Make no mistake, though. It's a Musou game, it's going to be loving ugly.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

I'm not saying the trailer isn't bad (for goodness' sakes, look at those Bokoblins popping in and out all over the place), and I currently have no interest in the game, but you seem so up-in-arms about it that it's a little bit amusing.

So funny story. My doc prescribed me Adderall and I've been taking it for nearly two weeks with no real change, until yesterday. I somehow spent the entire day and night writing really bad rambling shitposts, and I finished that one at the break of dawn.

Now that I know it works, I need to find a better outlet. Sorry for the :goonsay:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

I don't know why they wouldn't just call it the Biggoron's Sword since they already have a canon big rear end sword.

It's only Biggoron.'s sword if Biggoron made it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Considering how these games work, Biggoron's Sword will likely be one of the rare star weapons in the big sword weapon group.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dunban posted:

- in addition to the Premium Edition that was unveiled previosly, there will be a Treasure Box Edition that looks like a treasure chest and will include some digital content in the form of costumes (Courage, Power and Wisdom costume sets, to be exact), is otherwise identical to the Premium Edition.

I will only buy this if it includes a sound chip that plays the appropriate sound effect when you open it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Make no mistake, though. It's a Musou game, it's going to be loving ugly.

Koei takes a lot more poo poo than they deserve on the Musou games, but if there's one thing they desperately need to do it's update their engine so that the terrain is no longer stuck in the PS2 era.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

I really dig what they've done with Impa.

Here's some more of the villain witch. Some kind of crazy portal behind her.

Gotta be a fairy fountain. Pool of water in the middle. Looks like "waterfalls" on the sides of the room similar to Ocarina of Time. Sparkles in the room (like fairies). I wonder what the "Great Fairy" will look like in this game.

Go check out the rest of the gallery of screenshots on the official site:
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/zelda/gallery.html

An image in the gallery has that Volvagia inspired bad guy; looks like he has a Ganon skull on his head so Ganon followers probably?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Looks like we'll be covering Link's training at some point too:

Practice sword and everything. Tutorial level perhaps?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The one thing I've never quite been able to get over with these games is how enemies that are 5 feet away from your weapon will somehow get caught up in attacks. It would look so much cooler to me if hit detection were actually a thing.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

F. Lobot posted:

Whoa, since you predicted Other M so flawlessly I will surely stand by you side now. You have my axe (or in this case Master Sword).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

PantsBandit posted:

The one thing I've never quite been able to get over with these games is how enemies that are 5 feet away from your weapon will somehow get caught up in attacks. It would look so much cooler to me if hit detection were actually a thing.

A lot of weapons have wider hit ranges than the actual weapon, they mark these with little air swooshes. They have been toning this down in recent years, but the more awkward or unusual weapons will still get it.

• Locked thread