Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Would you say David James's financial situation is a calamity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
James played at Bristol city because his wife was working in Exeter so he sacrificed some earnings right there.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DickEmery posted:

Either you send the kids to boarding school or one of you spends less effort on your career in order to raise them.
Due to the inherent gender bias in wages and career advancement this has usually been the role of the woman.
(for an example, BM going to work would not be able to earn as much as me so she stays home and plays mass effect all day looks after the kid denying herself at least 10 years of building a career/pension.)
In the event of the partnership dissolving the partner who gave up their career is at a major disadvantage (by losing ten years) and therefore is usually awarded some compensatory figure of the working partner's earnings.
David James can bitch and moan about it or he can go back in time, put his Mrs in goal and stay at home looking after their kids.

Edit : to be fair I don't think James is actually moaning about it, it's just the tone of the article.

Fascinating.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

lol the fact that a wife can get any money from the future earnings of her ex-husband is insane and full on theft

Did you mean to post this in pwm

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

DickEmery posted:

Either you send the kids to boarding school or one of you spends less effort on your career in order to raise them.
Due to the inherent gender bias in wages and career advancement this has usually been the role of the woman.
(for an example, BM going to work would not be able to earn as much as me so she stays home and plays mass effect all day looks after the kid denying herself at least 10 years of building a career/pension.)
In the event of the partnership dissolving the partner who gave up their career is at a major disadvantage (by losing ten years) and therefore is usually awarded some compensatory figure of the working partner's earnings.
David James can bitch and moan about it or he can go back in time, put his Mrs in goal and stay at home looking after their kids.

Edit : to be fair I don't think James is actually moaning about it, it's just the tone of the article.

This is spot on. You can debate about the actual numbers, but the financial loss a person (99% of the time the woman) suffers from staying at home with the children instead of working and furthering their career does not end when the children leave home or when the marriage ends. The argument is that they will forever be ten years behind in their career relative to the husband who worked in the same period.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could also make the argument that no one forces you to have kids and/or stay at home.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

The Mash posted:

This is spot on. You can debate about the actual numbers, but the financial loss a person (99% of the time the woman) suffers from staying at home with the children instead of working and furthering their career does not end when the children leave home or when the marriage ends. The argument is that they will forever be ten years behind in their career relative to the husband who worked in the same period.

So why is it future earnings and not the x amount of years that they had to stay at home?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

the sex ghost posted:

The Sun went with the headline 'You'd have thought he'd be better at saving' which got a laugh out of me tbf

He got fifty loving games for England and he was poo poo

I mean yeah he had the reflexes of Casillas and denied Owen a hilarious goal but frankly he was bad at basically everything else and made more mistakes than Titus Bramble.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

So why is it future earnings and not the x amount of years that they had to stay at home?

Because you don't get those years back due to age discrimination, those years represent both a loss to previous earning and a significant loss to future earning.

To make clear the point I made last night: David James definitely has a duty to make sure his ex-partner and children live a comfortable life. But when you base it on "standard of living" I'm quite against the idea that anyone deserves a goddamn seven property portfolio so I kinda hope the courts put a limit on that poo poo.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I think it's just a throw away line in a rag, and it may not mean "X percent of what you earn forever and ever until you die."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Reminder that David James' afro literally saved a goal that went between his hands

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cant David James just turn round and give her a bill for everything she asked him to buy her and wipe it all out?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Because it's not a compensation for the years she worked at home (she gets that directly in the divorce) but a compensation for her salary in the years after the divorce that will be lower than it otherwise would have been. Her salary will be lower for the rest of her life because she was taking care of the children. Again, I'm not arguing numbers now, but there's nothing wrong with the general principle, especially not when one gender suffers from this like 98% of the time.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!
What if the couple don't have kids and the wife doesn't give up her career, do the ex wife still get the future earnings? Or is it dealt on a case by case basis?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

mrg220t posted:

What if the couple don't have kids and the wife doesn't give up her career, do the ex wife still get the future earnings? Or is it dealt on a case by case basis?

Case by case basis. There are different types of alimony and it can change when people's circumstances change too.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

mrg220t posted:

My mom gets permanent spousal maintenance. I think most US states have this, I think only 2 don't - Florida and Massachusetts. My parents divorced when my sister and I were older, and my mom still had a full career.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why can't women just be good at football and make their own millions ffs makes you sick.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bape Culture posted:

Why can't women just be good at football and make their own millions ffs makes you sick.

It's because they've all got PTSD from being harassed online for being a woman/trans/literally anything that isn't a straight white male

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
lol I started this derail but shut the gently caress up now

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nice meltdown.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
How do you go from owning seven properties to being bankrupt, I literally fundamentally don't understand

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Paperhouse posted:

How do you go from owning seven properties to being bankrupt, I literally fundamentally don't understand

People with bad / little formal education suddenly earning millions per year often don't have a whole lot in the way of financial responsibility.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

I'm guessing he "owned" them in the sense that all mortgage payers do. Then when his footballing earnings dried up whatever rent he was getting failed to cover the interest payments and, along with other debts such as his alimony, he got dragged under. It's happened pretty much constantly over the last 6 years with people who bought up property they couldn't afford.

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 19, 2014

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I've just discovered a documentary on this subject i've been meaning to watch is now on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFEZCgE5ag

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Byolante posted:

Its an article from the mirror so its written to make you think 'yeah gently caress minorities white men for life'

Hell, I didn't need to read it

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I've just discovered a documentary on this subject i've been meaning to watch is now on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFEZCgE5ag

It's a big letdown of a documentary

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Monaco's owner has just lost half his fortune, £2.7b, in his divorce. Wonder if it'll stop him spending silly money on the club

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jose posted:

Monaco's owner has just lost half his fortune, £2.7b, in his divorce. Wonder if it'll stop him spending silly money on the club

loving theft

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Moyes is being investigated by Lancashire police over allegations of assault at a wine bar :lol:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

Moyes is being investigated by Lancashire police over allegations of assault at a wine bar :lol:

The Moor Lane bar, in the fashionable centre of Clitheroe, bills itself as “half coffee shop, wine bar and brasserie; half interior design superstore”, offering “an unique, intoxicating lifestyle experience."

:barf:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

getting people drunk on expensive wine and selling them overpriced furniture is actually a sick business model

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Clitheroe has a fashionable centre? Lmfao.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Michael Chopra is trying to get in touch with Ashley Williams, or else some texts and pics will come out or something. Sounds very dramatic.

Michael Chopra @MichaelChopra08 · May 23
@AshWills84 dm me ur number need to speak to u u no wat it's about

Michael Chopra @MichaelChopra08 · May 24
@AshWills84 listen if u don't get in touch it's all coming out iv got the texts and pics

Michael Chopra @MichaelChopra08 · May 24
@WayneRoutledge tell ur pal to get in touch with me ashley the loving mug

https://twitter.com/MichaelChopra08/with_replies

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Presumably he's hit upon the bright idea of blackmail to get the money to pay back his latest set of gambling debts

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Jfc I know footballers aren't all rocking a 200 IQ but that is full on moronic.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Jazz Richards ‏@JazzRichards 36m
“@JamesS381: @MariaFowler @WayneRoutledge you two banging? Fair play give her one for me 😂😂😂😂😂😂” 😂😂😂

I love footballers on twitter

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

sassassin posted:

I love footballers on twitter

Dench.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So did we ever find out what/who Ashley Williams did?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

monkeytennis posted:

So did we ever find out what/who Ashley Williams did?

Kitkat in anus?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bape Culture posted:

Kitkat in anus?

I thought it was a Twix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex